Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,851 members, 7,806,401 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic (10155 Views)

Domestic Violence Is Not Gender Specific / Pastor Michale Matthew: "I Dumped My Marriage Over Domestic Violence" / Today's Experience Changed My View On Domestic Violence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Daboomb: 10:30pm On Mar 13, 2022
Interesting piece.
The Poster pretends to blame Women for Domestic when infact, he/she has wrongly assumed that ONLY MEN perpetuate Domestic Violence!

This is where the Hypocrisy of women comes-in.
Domestic Violence is when One Spouse abuses the other Spouse, the Victim can be the Husband or the Wife (Male or Female).
we have seen many Women poison their husbands, we have seen those who stab Husbands to death in his sleep, we have seen those who drug their Husbands and then mutilate his manhood, before killing him, we have seen those who use Hot iron on their husband, to kill him in his sleep, the list is endless, so it is not a "Male issues", it can involve either of the Spouses.

Having set the records straight, we need to look and go beyond this "blame game", to trace the origins of the problem.
In my own opinion, Nigeria has become an even more, very violent society.
Most Nigerians are a walking, ticking time-bomb, through no-fault of theirs.

I had a discussion with some Friends on why everyone in Nigeria seems to get angry and violent, at the very little upset, things that can be overlooked and after much deliberations, we identified a few things:

The Environment:
NOISE:
Almost everywhere you go in Nigeria, you are inundated with very LOUD NOISE!
If not from somebody trying to sell 'Snake Oil' to the Public, using a Mobile Public Address System (PAS), it will be someone playing loud Music to attract attention to what they are selling!
Inside Buses, you will hear Hawkers on top of their voices, while everyone struggles to be heard over such Noises,
Churches and Mosques are not left out, they blare their sermons at unholy hours, irrespective of whether we are interested in the rubbish they are saying.
In some Streets, Mechanics are banging, Iron bender is banging, Pepper Grinding Machines are whirling-away, someone is hammering-away at something and the whole environment is choked with NOISE!
At the end of the day, Nigerians have become "very loud" because everyone is trying to overcome "environmental Noise", in order to get heard.

SLEEP DEPRIVATION;
Nigerians, especially those in the Urban areas, do not have good enough sleep.
From the repeated blaring PAS NOISE of Mosques in the early Morning, as early as 4am, to the overnight NOISE of Churches doing Night Vigil, Sunday Service, Nigerians are being deprived of a good sleep.
Deprivation of Sleep is TORTURE, according to Medical Science and the United Nations Code on the Rule of Engagement in War.
Anyone deprived of sleep over a long time will eventually get MAD and it is not an insult to say majority of Nigerians are MAD and that explains the level of Violence in our Society.

Now , when a potentially Mad Man, marries a mad Woman, to not expect Violence in such coming together, will take the Grace of God.
So, before we start blaming men, we should also acknowlege that Women are also prone to domestic violence.

With the massive number of "Mad Nigerians" entering into marriage, it becomes unrealistic to advice a Spouse to dump the other, at the slightest sign of Violence!
Chances are that the next Spouse and the one after that, will show the same "Mad" tendencies. So, will you keep changing one for the other, until you reach Menopause? shocked

But the violence has different levels.
What we need to do is identify and understand what triggers the "violence" in our Spouse and device clever ways to deal with it.

Some are alcohol-energised (They happen only when the man is drunk). In such situations, counselling the Spouse to avoid Alcohol, , is the best method to contain his Violence.
For some, it is nagging by a Spouse that triggers their Violence, In such case, the other Spouse needs to avoid nagging their Spouse, because it is a form of Verbal violence as well. In this 'broke economy' of Nigerians, nagging a bread winner who has lost his job and calling him unprintable names will or attacking his manhood, will only tigger his Violence and you only have yourself to blame.

For some, it is Cheating on their Spouse that triggers the Violence. It is best to stay single if you know you cannot do without multiple sex partners between your legs. You cant eat your cake and still want it.

In essence, the Violence itself is largely environmental and ubiquitous, there is nothing anyone can do about that.
What we should focus on, is how to avoid what TRIGGERS the Violence.

Many people have said "My Spouse was aan Angel when we were dating and before we got married, now s/he is worse than the Devil".
Well, Courtship is not likely to set-up the TRIGGER, because you see each other sparingly, are committed to not flicking the Trigger of each other and are generally more accommodating of each other's weakness.

And YES, when everything fails, it is advisable to go on a HIATUS from each other, not with the aim to profiteer from the situation but to see whether distance and time can reinvigorate the commitment that would ensure we dont set-off the TRIGGER that leads to Violence in our Spouses.

1 Like

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Ishilove: 10:30pm On Mar 13, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

That stupid girl got me arrested for stalking.

You can imagine the audacity. I am sure the boy is behind it. Because that girl would dare not lodge a complaint against me at the police station all by herself.

The police have had me sign an undertaking. And right there, I told her she was the one disowning me. And she could not say anything. I thought she was remorseful. So, I tried to reach out to her only to discover that she has blocked me everywhere, even on Facebook.

So, it has been a while we talked or saw.

At this stage, I can only pray for her.
You have got to be kidding me shocked

Leave her to her devices. She is an adult and we all will bear the consequences of our actions. Heaven and earth bear you witness that you tried to warn her. Last last she is the one that will come looking for you when live don clear for eyes

1 Like

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Ishilove: 10:32pm On Mar 13, 2022
Kobojunkie:
You forgot to indicate personality put....
I saw your picture somewhere a very long time ago. You are a black beauty smiley

1 Like

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Shegzdave: 10:35pm On Mar 13, 2022
Kobojunkie:
You forgot to indicate personality put....
So this is you shocked
You look good but you should tone down your baseless arguments undecided
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Kobojunkie: 10:46pm On Mar 13, 2022
Ishilove:

I saw your picture somewhere a very long time ago. You are a black beauty smiley
undecided
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Ishilove: 10:50pm On Mar 13, 2022
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Kobojunkie: 10:54pm On Mar 13, 2022
Ishilove:

undecided
I seriously doubt your claim since the details are all off. grin
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by bepositive11: 11:27pm On Mar 13, 2022
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Thanks
Exactly
That lady even admitted she came from such a family,

Those toxic ways has completely consumed her taking a hold of her.
Very obvious as a clear as crystal in her replies.

Very true
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Married2Crypto(m): 2:12am On Mar 14, 2022
considering the possibility of a child especially a male child turned adult; now projecting and repeating same spousal abusive pattern of his father at whateva degree of provocation causing him to infantize his woman, then such likely outcome could shapen d kid into becoming either the ego-flaring, aka mr correction imbibed kind of mould or the silent treatment & ignoring kind of mould. Age & logical inquisiveness of the kid exposed to dz ugly wife-beating scenary matters a lot. If d kid's logical capability could discern why mom always apologizes pehaps for peace to reign in d house again & become some few weeks obedient to his mr correction dad after each bout of couples fight. the kid may deduced dat, ok mom offended, then she probably got what came to her. Such kid usually had some special pre-existing rapport wid his dad esp. if d kid from day1 aims to please him a lot. Buh if d kid could watch his mom in her pitiful & gory state wid neigbors peepin, she's feeble & dad is violent begets a diff kind too.

1 Like

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Cousin9999: 3:15am On Mar 14, 2022
1Sharon:

The good men that treat them how they're supposed to be treated are seen as boring and uninteresting.

It would be interesting to see a study on this. What percentage of the population are these women?
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by 3plechief: 7:52am On Mar 14, 2022
Karleb:
In the Nigeria that you live, shebi its only men that abuse women.

Things are so bad for men that if the woman didn't seriously injure you or kill you, no one will believe she is abusing you.

Would have given you more likes if possible.
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by BluntTheApostle(m): 8:19am On Mar 14, 2022
Ishilove:

You have got to be kidding me shocked

Leave her to her devices. She is an adult and we all will bear the consequences of our actions. Heaven and earth bear you witness that you tried to warn her. Last last she is the one that will come looking for you when live don clear for eyes

I have left her, Ishi.

At least, I tried my best. She can't deny that.
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Rubyjade: 8:27am On Mar 14, 2022
shocked
Kobojunkie:
Nagging isn't always verbal abuse. undecided
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Rubyjade: 8:29am On Mar 14, 2022
Simran94:

And why is it different? Because you men see women as the weaker gender that can be treated however and wouldn’t be able to defend themselves?
Why is a Guy-guy fight different because a man can defend himself from his fellow man but a woman cannot defend herself from a man?

Let’s say a man starts to beat up his wife, then his wife decided to defend herself by hitting something on his head and he dies in the process, Can that be called self-defense on the woman’s part?
No, it's murder.
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Rubyjade: 8:32am On Mar 14, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

Don't get me wrong, Simran.

What I meant was the relationship between a man and a woman in a domestic setting may be difficult to generalize to relationships outside the domestic settings.

A woman may not nag her female friend for the same reason that she might even deafen her husband.

Every relationship is peculiar.

Some of these nagging women may not even be able to nag their younger brothers
Not true
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Ishilove: 8:53am On Mar 14, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

I have left her, Ishi.

At least, I tried my best. She can't deny that.
I don't expect you will get invited to the wedding. grin
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Nobody: 9:31am On Mar 14, 2022
Rubyjade:
No, it's murder.
In Nigeria it could be murder, But in the US and other developed parts of the world even South Africa, it’s always self defense as long as they are able to proof that the woman was been battered by the man.
I have seen a lot of documentaries on Domestic violence in these countries and sometimes becomes fatal when the women defend themselves but they are always freed on the basis of self defense.

I don’t know if you know Charlize Theron, she’s a popular actress in Hollywood, Her mother killed her father while she was been battered by the man, the man brought out a shot gun and was going to kill the woman and Charlize, somehow the woman disarmed him after struggling with him and shot him dead. This happened in South Africa. She was arrested but The court found her innocent based on Self defense.
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by TjoBATHONG(m): 10:42am On Mar 14, 2022
JaceBlaze:

We already know this...not to mention how misogynistic most West African men are.Most of these laws we have enacted to protect women in SA will not be tolerated in Nigeria.

Didn't they just reject a bill in their parliament denying women equal status to men, or something like that?

Backwardness right there grin

4 Likes

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by QuinModah(f): 12:36pm On Mar 14, 2022
JustforMen:

Domestic Violence is totally evil and inexcusably bad. It has no place in civilized human society.

Now, what is domestic Violence?

What does it mean?

What are the forms it takes?

Questions begging for answers
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by BluntTheApostle(m): 1:19pm On Mar 14, 2022
Ishilove:

I don't expect you will get invited to the wedding. grin

The thing dey pain me. sad

2 Likes

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by BluntTheApostle(m): 1:24pm On Mar 14, 2022
Rubyjade:
Not true

I am talking from experience.

That is why you will see a man reporting his wife, and her mother will be like, "but where did she learn that nonsense from?"

Some brothers may not even know that their sisters are capable of using some of the words they use on their husbands.

They hide these characters from their parents, siblings, and pastors.

3 Likes

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Magnoliaa(f): 5:42pm On Mar 14, 2022
Ishilove:
Bespectacled, brown chocolate lady. smiley

Kobo, Buda (and highly 'suspectful'–Bratislava–) are guys LOL.

There's a peculiar streak amongst the three of them.

1 Like

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Ishilove: 5:58pm On Mar 14, 2022
Magnoliaa:

Kobo, Buda (and highly 'suspectful'–Bratislava–) are guys LOL.

There's a peculiar streak amongst the three of them.
Bratislava is female, Kobo is female while Buda is male cheesy
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Magnoliaa(f): 6:09pm On Mar 14, 2022
Ishilove:
Bratislava is female, Kobo is female while Buda is male cheesy

The first subject; I doubt. Na why I say e still dey tentative grin. It's the part of "shim" being in love with lilvicky I no get.

Why are you so certain buda is male? At what point did* you know? If you can understand how Buda presents himself for a lot of people to still think he's female, you'll understand for Kobo too. Because if you say kobo argues a great deal "like a woman" and comment on the food thread, does buda not argue without ceasing too and talk about cooking? Kobo that said he wanna see the nekkid pictures of the Miss Nigeria contestants. lipsrsealed There's also another reason I strongly believe he's male sha, but I won't say. And for the other two variables as well. cheesy
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by BRATISLAVA: 9:17pm On Mar 14, 2022
Magnoliaa:

The first subject; I doubt. Na why I say e still dey tentative grin. It's the part of "shim" being in love with lilvicky I no get.

Why are you so certain buda is male? At what point do you know? If you can understand how Buda presents himself for a lot of people to still think he's female, you'll understand for Kobo too. Because if you say kobo argues a great deal "like a woman" and comment on the food thread, does buda not argue without ceasing too and talk about cooking? Kobo that said he wanna see the nekkid pictures of the Miss Nigeria contestants. lipsrsealed There's also another reason I strongly believe he's male sha, but I won't say. And for the other two variables as well. cheesy

grin grin grin

Love is universal.

But Buda is majorly S uspect. Likewise Kobo. Himshs.
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Magnoliaa(f): 10:17pm On Mar 14, 2022
BRATISLAVA:
grin grin grin

Love is universal.

Naso. grin

But Buda is majorly S uspect. Likewise Kobo. Himshs.

As far as I'm concerned sha o, I'm not in doubt as to what the gender of those two are. Na you remain make I add there. Watin be himshs?

1 Like

Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by lilvicky68(m): 10:40pm On Mar 14, 2022
Ishilove:

Bra.tisla.va is female, Kobo is female while Buda is male cheesy

All of them are female..just that Kobo and Buda are elder women in their 60's
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by BRATISLAVA: 5:57am On Mar 15, 2022
Magnoliaa:

Naso. grin

As far as I'm concerned sha o, I'm not in doubt as to what the gender of those two are. Na you remain make I add there. Watin be himshs?

Lol.

Himshs are the opposite of shims. And best believe many are in that category.
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Benee1000(m): 9:05am On Mar 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Wrong! Her Op is simply focused on domestic violence as it affects women. undecided

She didn't mention anything about domestic violence affecting both genders, before going ahead to be specific about the gender she's trying to address.

A writer should not just focus on a specific detail without giving the readers an idea of the group from which he\she decided to pick an area to focus on.

When this is not done, the writeup creates an impression that only the author's focus area or perspective exist even if the author is correct in his\her assertion.

I didn't say the op was wrong, just biased in the writeup.
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Kobojunkie: 1:08pm On Mar 16, 2022
Benee1000:
She didn't mention anything about domestic violence affecting both genders, before going ahead to be specific about the gender she's trying to address.

A writer should not just focus on a specific detail without giving the readers an idea of the group from which he\she decided to pick an area to focus on.

When this is not done, the writeup creates an impression that only the author's focus area or perspective exist even if the author is correct in his\her assertion.

I didn't say the op was wrong, just biased in the writeup.
What hogwash? A writer is not under any such obligations . If you want to focus on domestic violence against both genders, create another thread where you do just that. undecided
Re: Domestic Violence Is An Accepted Nigerian Epidemic by Benee1000(m): 2:03pm On Mar 17, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What hogwash? A writer is not under any such obligations . If you want to focus on domestic violence against both genders, create another thread where you do just that. undecided

What hogwash too!
No one is under any obligation to do anything really. Everyone has a choice.

Then why do standards exist?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Black Guys In Brazil / What Are You Grateful For In 2019????? / What Is The Secret Of Big Babies And Toddlers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.