Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,882 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:51 AM

For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? (1035 Views)

''For Better For Worse''- What does it really mean? Do we practise it? / For Better Or For Worse? / Ladies - For Better For Worse ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by upendo98(f): 1:05pm On Jun 30, 2011
"To have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part.
Those words were first published in English in the prayer book of 1549, based on earlier Latin texts (the Sarum and York Rituals of the medieval period).  So the origin isn't even biblical.
For those engaged/contemplating marriage.I would really like to know ,

1).Does this traditional vow apply/hold in these days of adultery,prenups,pansexuals,bisexuals,transexuals, and every other intimate?
   cz the moment we utter those words we become captive and find it hard to let go even when things hit rock bottom.The guilt/society is too much.

2).Which would you prefer? to rewrite your own vow that suits both of you or use the above traditional one?

3).How would you like your 'draft vow to read ?? ie if u dont mind

Kindly air your views without insults
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by satani22: 2:37pm On Jun 30, 2011
If u marry provided u are a virgin, i will do for better for worse with you
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by BABE3: 2:41pm On Jun 30, 2011
My vows are gonna come from my head/heart---I'm not reciting those cliche lines.
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by Dyt(f): 2:42pm On Jun 30, 2011
Sub. . . .
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by iice(f): 3:05pm On Jun 30, 2011
Errh don't get the part of bisexual/homosexuals/transsexuals.

I prolly would tweak it. I like the sound of the norm. Sounds solid and sacred.
Then again i might just go completely off and just say 'I Love you'. He knows what that means grin
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by Jamesdman(m): 3:34pm On Jun 30, 2011
BABE!:

My vows are gonna come from my head/heart---I'm not reciting those cliche lines.
Seconded!!! N lyk Iice said, it's better 2 jst say 'I (will always) love u'. BS: @Upendo, sowi, i don't mean 2 go off topic, bt i jst ve 2 ask u, y ain't u replyin Ms. Potato's thread 'Upendo can i meet u' on dating n meet up zone?
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by LongOne1(m): 3:37pm On Jun 30, 2011
1) Don’t think it’s a fallacy. The vows still hold/apply for some people. (The mind is willing, but the flesh is weak). I want to believe all marriages start with good intentions; sadly, some are sidetracked along the way. (The road to hell is paved with good intentions)

2) Never been a crowd following person, so I guess I’ll tweak them a bit.

3) Now, that is a JAMB question.
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by tellwisdom: 3:40pm On Jun 30, 2011
Immediately it gets worse for the lady,(laziness, nagging, liability) I run away tongue tongue
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by Mynd44: 5:03pm On Jun 30, 2011
The wife should promise to surrender her punny to her husband and the husband should promise to surrender his SALARY simple
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by upendo98(f): 5:45pm On Jun 30, 2011
who cn tell me wht jamb is? smiley
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by chibaby5(f): 5:48pm On Jun 30, 2011
@Topic

Really not given it a thought undecided So cnt say
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by upendo98(f): 5:55pm On Jun 30, 2011
@ iice

what I mean is that,theres people that get married and later want to engage in other behaviour which the other partner finds unbecoming and uncomfortable.
Eg the case of tht lady who discovered the husband has turned gay.She wasnt aware she only discovered after saying the vows and a kid later.
Or if somebody decides they want a sex change and you already said the vows. I mean its for better or for worse thet ,means you stick in there and endure all that change. So I ask are you bound by the vows or can you decide ,vow or no vow am not taking this shit without the society condemning you.
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by upendo98(f): 6:00pm On Jun 30, 2011
@ satani

Suppose that sweet virgin decides to turn into a witch. will you stick in there and do the 'witchcraft' together? Is that the meaning of for better or for worse?
I think theres some worse that is just 'extreme' but the society/family doesnt care they want you to bear it all.
I now prefer a much more 'flexible vow' after all these things we read and hear about.
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by iice(f): 6:04pm On Jun 30, 2011
upendo 98:

@ iice

what I mean is that,theres people that get married and later want to engage in other behaviour which the other partner finds unbecoming and uncomfortable.
Eg the case of tht lady who discovered the husband has turned man-lover.She wasnt aware she only discovered after saying the vows and a kid later.
Or if somebody decides they want a sex change and you already said the vows. I mean its for better or for worse thet ,means you stick in there and endure all that change. So I ask are you bound by the vows or can you decide ,vow or no vow am not taking this poo without the society condemning you.

Seen.
I always say get your gaydar up. Some of us can see them a mile away. But in the case she doesn't know, then it's up to both of them to decide what to do. Some couples of one homosexual and one heterosexual do marry and stay together and have kids. Weird but it happens. They make that choice. Then there's the one with the open marriage. Can have different partners but still be married to each other.
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by upendo98(f): 10:00am On Jul 01, 2011
I keep asking myself if this institution called marriage will still be in existence 50 yrs from now.It may change name to something like 'contract' or 'family constitution'
After all most people are just putting up a show but reality is,its like cancer slowly chewing the bone!
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by MMM2(m): 10:29am On Jul 01, 2011
op
re u abt 2 get married angry
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by upendo98(f): 11:16am On Jul 01, 2011
^^ yes [b]M[/b]an[b]M[/b]ade[b]M[/b]ad

And to you!
Now will you take this lady,to love and to hold blablabla till death do you part??
smiley
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by ismaeel86(m): 11:56am On Jul 01, 2011
i pray my marriage should be for better for good, cos most people will turn their back when d worst happen. and i think nobody should be allowed to live in bondage
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by upendo98(f): 12:27pm On Jul 01, 2011
^^
till death do you apart?
Suppose one strays commits adultery u know such.Will u feel like ur in bondage holding on to it cz u uttered the words?
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by iice(f): 12:43pm On Jul 01, 2011
upendo 98:

I keep asking myself if this institution called marriage will still be in existence 50 yrs from now.It may change name to something like 'contract' or 'family constitution'
After all most people are just putting up a show but reality is,its like cancer slowly chewing the bone!

It will still be in existence. Not as it is now but not extinct either.
I think the vows these days really mean. . .'For so long as i can manage'
Re: For better or for worse.Does it really make sense? by upendo98(f): 1:21pm On Jul 01, 2011
^^^^
grin grin grin
true dat.very true. Some things are unmanagaeble and unbearable and unthinkable.
sad

(1) (Reply)

She Misplaced A Gift I Got Her / How Do I Know If She Lov Me? / Is Phone Call One Of D Basics Of A Relationship?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.