Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,019 members, 7,799,478 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO (44546 Views)

Russian Official, Leonid Vasyukevich, Tells Putin To End War In Ukraine / Putin Signals Acceptance Of Finland, Sweden Joining NATO / Your Plans To Join NATO Grave Mistake – Russia Warns Finland, Sweden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by linearity: 9:04am On Mar 13, 2022
uunwanaobong3:
I wonder what these foolish countries see in NATO to warrant the supreme price of the destruction of their Nation and the lost of their people, instead of wisely remaining NEUTRAL as an independent country........... Now will someone please warn these countries before they escalate this war further?

Bros open your eyes well well….

It is the same countries that are remaining Neutral that Putin is attacking and killing!

Ironically he has never attacked any country who have joined NATO.

If I were Finland or Sweden, this is the perfect time to join NATO, despite the talks Russia cannot open another war front now.

2 Likes

Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by Nobody: 9:06am On Mar 13, 2022
boyfrank:

As far as his supporters is concerned (especially those in nairaland), he can invade any country and it will be the country's fault.
Abeg o! He should park one side.

I'm begging to dislike him already!

Who the Bleep invades all countries and threatens to end the world?!

The world is tired of terrorist, dictators etc.

America might be bad, but I've come to realise that it's better than Russia, iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Dubai, chaina etc!

#Stopthewar

3 Likes

Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by Nobody: 9:08am On Mar 13, 2022
Hello my fellow nairalanders, na garri remain ooo�
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by Bellerophon: 9:09am On Mar 13, 2022
SarkinYarki:
The solution to all this is to allow Russia join NATO but then the aim of NATO will be defeated

You are a very shallow minded individual I have since come to observe with not the slightest grasp of contextual issues and conversations! The North Atlantic part of NATO is a reflection of the ideological purpose of the establishment of the organization as a deterrence to communist threat from the East, do you know that as a counter measures to NATO, the Russians also assembled countries with collective ideologies like that and made THE WARSAW PACT/ TREATY!

Do not on the altar of religion sacrifice your common sense, please tell, if only one, a reason why and how “The West” which has become an overused phrase on here lately has influenced or created the situation in Europe as to warrant a justified Russian invasion! Don’t talk to me about the Cuban missile crisis and all that crap when the political and social realities are entirely different hence no grounds for an analogous comparison! I can tell you are most probably Northerner and Muslim as your disdain and hatred again for “The west” is only a subtle attempt at masking your sympathy with terrorist and the macabre killings their evil cause
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by Renwess: 9:12am On Mar 13, 2022
SarkinYarki:
The solution to all this is to allow Russia join NATO but then the aim of NATO will be defeated

If Actor and Boss become friends. Film don end be that na.
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by ayindejimmy(m): 9:13am On Mar 13, 2022
Go on, shift the post.

You were wrong when you claimed the US didn't want them to join. All other members didn't want them!

Then I told you why their proposal to join was declined but you still didn't get it.

Well, let me spoon feed you. NATO member knew the reason Soviet Union want to join was to keep annexing smaller countries in Europe unhindered and also prevent the members of Soviet Union from leaving.

Isn't that what's happening now?

Meninmen:

I said the US didn't want Russia to join Nato. And you said it was because Russia didn't meet the conditions. I then ask you which conditions did Russia not meet? You began blabbing. Then you brought up the issue of UK trying to prevent Soviet Union from breaking as the reason NATO did not allow Russia to join it (which doesn't even make any sense)

The reason Russia can't join Nato is because the US (and other NATO countries) will not allow Russia join the same organization that was formed to counter Russia. This has always been my point.

Why I emphasized only on the US was that the US basically controls NATO. If the US agrees for Russia to join Nato, Russia will join Nato. If however, other NATO countries agree for Russia to join Nato and the US doesn't agree, Russia will not join Nato.

Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by purplekayc(m): 9:15am On Mar 13, 2022
So now they will also invade Sweden and Finland?
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by linearity: 9:23am On Mar 13, 2022
Proflere:
really? He didn't even do anything to you. The people that invaded Africa and made Africans less human, killed so many of our promising leaders e g Lumumba and rendered our economy useless.. all of them didn't die miserable deaths oo. Russia never for once invade any African country and you think they are your enemy because they are enemy to the same people that looted your resources (the west)? Calm down nah.

Nobody invaded Africa, if you read and understand the history books, our forefathers also benefited from slavery, it was a joint effort; and they were the ones catching the slaves and handing them to the Whiteman in exchange for money & gunpowder.

Yes, it was very bad to impoverished Africa and enslaved there people by the West. But there were robust arguments and debates in the West about ending slavery. These debates were allowed to continue because the West was democratic and opposing views were allowed.

If it was Russia or China that came to Africa, first they will never have left and opposing debates and those who hold them will be muted and killed.

If by miracle Africa escaped, Russia and China will still till today consider Africa their own territory and will be nursing and putting in place planes to re-annex Africa back just like Ukraine & Taiwan.

It is never a good position to be a powerless Country and had to align with another powerful Country, but since it is inevitable that some Countries will be powerful and many others will be powerless, I will render my Country align with a democratic Country than with an Authoritarian and dictatorship Country.

Even Russia & China very own neighbors where some speaks the same language with Russia or China wants to align with West, that tells you a lot about their present day fears about their big brother next door.
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by pacesetting: 9:23am On Mar 13, 2022
anonymous1759:

Have you ever seen a European not to talk of African that’s opposing the west that’s liked ?
If you dance to their tone even if you’re a terrorist they’ll like you .

PUTIN is making the world a safer place . Making the world a multi polar system . PUTIN has exposed the west and her allies that they’re biased . The world is not safe with America and the west . Power should be shared for a stable world.

You mean Putin who has been Russia's prime minister/president for over 2 decades will make the world a safer place.

Let me advice you, whenever you are appointing someone to lead a group, do not make the mistake of choosing one with unquenchable desire for power. Putin and the word "safe" can never be classed together.

You see countries like Russia, China, and their allies, these are the real troubles in the world.

And by the way, if you're to choose between Russia/China visa and US/UK visa, which would you pick?
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by Latakia(f): 9:24am On Mar 13, 2022
sotall:

And you that is typing from your cubicle financed by Putin has been what?

Putin is restless and regretting the invasion of Ukraine right now but you are yarning dust on nairaland because you hate the west.
They will not join having seen how Putin is dealing with Ukraine and the fear of NATO and United States going to war with mighty Russia, though Ukraine is winning the war on all social media platforms. Forget nairaland military analysts, they know nothing cos their brains have been brainwashed by colonial mentality and Hollywood movies grin

Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by jrusky(m): 9:30am On Mar 13, 2022
For those of you claiming Ukran was part of USSR and Putin was right killing them so was Finland and Sweden part of USSR?

You are all mentally unstable forfailling to realised a new hitler is on the rise a fucking expansionist bitch the devil itself has come in Putin image but he will die las las.

1 Like

Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by sunkoye: 9:33am On Mar 13, 2022
boyfrank:

As far as his supporters is concerned (especially those in nairaland), he can invade any country and it will be the country's fault.
one thing I have learnt is , even the devil got friends. Psychopaths, murderers, general evil doers got secret friends. Only way they show it are when the let their guards down and from their reactions on faceless forums. We have cultist here, religion extremists (them enemy of my enemy is my friend), ritualist, corrupt politicians, corrupt uniform personel, hoodlums, bandwagons and suicidal pple ( people itching for a nuclear war). Also some people that don't have much going for them in life will be interested and motivated in destruction and general waste of humanity( they don't have much to loose).

So you see how such people could have handled Power. Some Nigerians will be worse than Putin when they got opportunity to walk in the corridor of power.

You see that boastful small Horn speaking with arrogance... shall be dealt with but not with human hands.

1 Like

Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by SweetSauce(f): 9:35am On Mar 13, 2022
[quote author=kingjizz post=110987138][/quote]
And you had to bring his mom into this.
Shows you don't have respect for yours.
If he replies by insulting you, na tears go full ur replies.
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by wallrichy: 9:35am On Mar 13, 2022
Who be Nigeria?

Totilopussylick:
They are already been considered as one undecided

Specially Nigeria government tongue
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by Nobody: 9:36am On Mar 13, 2022
Reference:

This is not true.
The principal criteria for joining NATO is that a member nation must be fully democratic, which Russia isn't.
These are excerpts:

'At the Madrid Summit, NATO invited Poland, Hungary, and the Czech Republic to begin accession talks with the Alliance. In the Summit Declaration, NATO also stated that "NATO remains open to new members under Article 10 of the North Atlantic Treaty . . . The Alliance expects to extend further invitations in coming years to nations willing and able to assume the responsibilities and obligations of membership, and as NATO determines that the inclusion of these nations would serve the overall political and strategic interests of the Alliance and that the inclusion would enhance overall European security and stability."
While there is no membership checklist for interested nations, NATO has made clear that candidates for membership must meet the following criteria. Interested nations must:

Uphold democracy, including tolerance for diversity;
Be progressing toward a market economy;
Have their military forces under firm civilian control;
Be good neighbors and respect the sovereignty of other nations; and
Work toward interoperability with NATO forces.
Again, while these criteria are essential, they do not constitute a checklist leading automatically to NATO membership.

New members must be invited by a consensus of current members.

Decisions to invite new members must take into account the required ratification process in the member states. In the case of the United States, decisions are made in consultation with Congress.

The key determinant for any invitation to new members is whether their admission to NATO will strengthen the Alliance and further the basic objective of NATO enlargement, which is to increase security and stability across Europe.'

Note the bolded.
Russia falls short.

You still have not said anything though.

If we look at the criteria (@bolded), some NATO member nations fall short of the criteria.

For example, the US, a key NATO member has previously violated the sovereignty of some nations. The US has invaded Panama. Also, the Bay of pigs invasion of Cuba etc. If we should go by your view, the US shouldn't be in NATO because they have violated the sovereignty of neighbouring countries.

Let's paint a scenario. Let's say Russia meets all the requirements @the bolded, you think the US and other NATO countries will allow Russia join Nato? You are really funny.

If you have read your copy and paste properly, you would have read that those criteria are essential, but they do not constitute a checklist leading automatically to NATO membership. Meaning that even if Russia for example meets those criteria, they still wouldn't be allowed into NATO.

You even contradicted yourself. On the one hand, you said it is because Russia has not met the requirements to join Nato that is why they have not been allowed to join. On the other hand, you said the key determinant for any invitation to new members is whether their admission to NATO will strengthen the Alliance and further the basic objective of NATO. Is this not contradictory?

The reason NATO will not allow Russia into it's fold is because there is huge mistrust for Russia and there is the fear by the US and other NATO members that admitting Russia into the alliance will weaken NATO. It has nothing to do with Russia not meeting any requirement.

1 Like

Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by SweetSauce(f): 9:38am On Mar 13, 2022
Stevenson1:

Russia can't afford another invasion anymore.
I don't think they have enough finance or human power for that anymore.
Also, sister countries are looking at what they are doing in Ukraine and they think NATO will be more desirable/ reliable than staying neutral cos staying neutral got Ukraine nowhere except annexation of their cities and towns by Russia.
And you had to quote the whole thread.
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by Burgerlomo: 9:41am On Mar 13, 2022
ademasta:
Russia stubborn sha

Russians are not stubborn but their leaders are cuckoo, won san lori. grin

1 Like

Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by wallrichy: 9:43am On Mar 13, 2022
Putin of Russia behaves really like an over angry brute. How can you instruct an independent nations not to follow the pact of securing their nations and citizens especially after seeing your aggressive nature and brutal attack on a fellow innocent Ukraine. Russia actions will even quicken most if not all Eastern European countries to join NATO and be safe afterwards. Putin antics and aggression will be the trigger that would eventually leads to the final castration of Russia.

Stevenson1:

Also, sister countries are looking at what they are doing in Ukraine and they think NATO will be more desirable/ reliable than staying neutral cos staying neutral got Ukraine nowhere except annexation of their cities and towns by Russia.
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by wagzy37: 9:44am On Mar 13, 2022
Trentee4eva:

Zelenskyy pushed for NATO membership and signed it into Ukraine's constitution. I see no reason why anyone should join NATO considering that in a war between NATO and Russia, nuclear weapons will be deployed. In the event of a third world war, only neutral countries like Africans will survive.

Bro, no one will survive a nuclear war. Hiroshima is still suffering from an atomic bomb 77 years later. The west has nuclear weapons 5 times that. If India fires a nuclear bomb against Pakistan, it’s estimated that about 90% of humans will die (of starvation). The world has agricultural supplies to last just 60 days.

No nuclear war at all. Don’t know why countries have nuclear ammunition. That’s just crazy.
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by Josywhyte: 9:45am On Mar 13, 2022
SarkinYarki:

You're right bro

1 Like

Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by Josywhyte: 9:49am On Mar 13, 2022
Stevenson1:

Ukraine actually decided to join NATO before this invasion. Hence,this crises... Russia never wanted Ukraine to join NATO. America really wants Russia to play into their hands so they place enough sanctions on them(Russia) to weaken their tentacles,which America have achieved
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by ademasta(m): 9:51am On Mar 13, 2022
Burgerlomo:

Russians are not stubborn but their leaders are cuckoo, won san lori. grin
Won ya werey grin
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by Laurene: 9:53am On Mar 13, 2022
Stevenson1:

Germany was able to seize almost half of Europe with their meagre army let alone Russia.

Russian wouldn't necessarily invade any other country but can cow them into submission by threatening to missile them or even nuke.
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by scarycuteface(m): 10:06am On Mar 13, 2022
Russia is going to bully the Baltic states too? Lol
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by TobiAbuja: 10:14am On Mar 13, 2022
Putin's day is done

Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by Thomist(m): 10:14am On Mar 13, 2022
SarkinYarki:

Your brain is sharp. You must be an IGBO or have relationship with them.
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 13, 2022
ayindejimmy:

Go on, shift the post.

You were wrong when you claimed the US didn't want them to join. All other members didn't want them!

Then I told you why their proposal to join was declined but you still didn't get it.

Well, let me spoon feed you. NATO member knew the reason Soviet Union want to join was to keep annexing smaller countries in Europe unhindered and also prevent the members of Soviet Union from leaving.

Isn't that what's happening now?

See who is talking about shifting the post. Let me remind you how all these started.

Me: They wanted to join Nato (the then Soviet Union) but the US refused.

You: They didn't meet the conditions amidst other things.

Me: Lol. Meet which conditions? You think US will allow Russia join an organization they created to counter Russia? Lol

You: UK also didn't want them in NATO then because they want to use it to prevent the Soviet Union break up which was inevitable then

Now, at this point, you couldn't list the conditions that Russia didn't meet for them to be admitted into NATO. You then diverted by talking about how UK also didn't want Russia to join Nato because they wanted to use it to prevent the Soviet Union break up (it was at this point I knew you were dumb).

Me: I don't know what you are saying. But just know that the US will never allow Russia join an organization they created to counter the same Russia.

You: That's your opinion.
I'm saying the fact.

It's not only the US that was against Russia, it was unanimously decided. They saw the future then.
Russia is now doing exactly what the members feared.

Let me respond to your last post. The reason the US and other NATO members refused the USSR to join Nato is not because the USSR wanted to annex smaller countries. It's a very dumb reason. The primary reason was because they believed that the USSR joining Nato will weaken NATO. Few years before, during the Korea war, Russia and China had vetoed some votes in the UN calling for action against North Korea that invaded South Korea. So, NATO believed at that time that if USSR is allowed into NATO, they can veto some NATO decisions and weaken NATO. Infact, the representative of Italy warned that since the decisions of NATO must be unanimous amongst it's members, the Soviet Union could use veto to paralyze the organization and, hence, the Alliance would become just as ineffective as the UN.

Let me repeat. The reason NATO didn't allow Russia join them is not because Nato feared that the USSR will annex smaller countries. As at that time, there was no fear of the USSR annexing smaller countries. The USSR was already large enough. It was after the USSR disintegrated, some countries that made up the former USSR began to join Nato, that Russia became scared and now, they had to invade Ukraine to stop it from joining Nato.
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by flamingREED(m): 10:23am On Mar 13, 2022
chameleon98:

As they say, actions speak louder than words. Especially actions accompanied by explosions, death and dismemberment.

This your quote is world class!
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by phemmyfour: 10:28am On Mar 13, 2022
NwaNimo1:
Hope they listen....

[img]https://i./3OK0d.gif[/img]
Why? They want to bomb the whole World
Re: Russian Official Warns Finland, Sweden Against Joining NATO by Abfinest007(m): 10:28am On Mar 13, 2022
Thanks for sharing.quote author=greymiles post=110987528]
Stop reading controlled news
Listen to news like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XioN0Irg74[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Russia Boasts It Fired Warning Shots And Dropped BOMBS At Royal Navy Warship / Joe Biden Almost Falls On The Air Force One Stairs Again / Trump Evacuated From Press Briefing Due To Shooting Outside The White House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.