Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,849 members, 7,798,837 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace (2260 Views)

Dgeneral: Things You Should Know About NDLEA And Drug Control / 10 Robbery And Drug Suspects Arrested In Borno / Nigerian Couple Caught With Heroine, Cocaine and drug money in india (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by IgweOfNnewi: 2:00pm On Mar 13, 2022
Fredrick Nwabufo

In the sweltering heat of a serial lynching and killing of Igbo citizens in Asia in 2013, I wrote an article entitled, ‘The Igbo fallacy’. In it, I appealed to the Igbo to de-emphasise the culture of profligacy, decadent opulence, debauchery and vanity which fuels the pursuit of crime by their own.
I am compelled to revivify the article here, but with a few adjustments. I say it again; the Igbo take the inglorious front row in certain crimes – drug peddling, armed robbery and kidnapping – at home and abroad.
In August 2016, an Igbo drug dealer was guillotined in Indonesia. But his funeral in Anambra was a shin-dig of celebrations. He was even described as a “hero” by his kinsmen.

Once again, an Igbo kidnapping lord, who unleashed barbarity and savagery on many Nigerians, has steadied attention on the “special” crime proclivities of the ethnic group. I will not dwell on this; I will zero in on Igbo criminality abroad, and take a slight detour home.

As a matter of fact, a good number of Igbo youth in Asia are into crime. It was reported sometime in the year that the India police said all Nigerians – Igbo, of course – in their country were drug dealers. Although, this is questionable, it cannot be entirely repudiated.
Arguably, the reason for Igbo sojourning – to even the remotest of places in the world – has been attributed to their much vaunted entrepreneurial spirit. The truth is that this claim is enclosed in heavy, meaty layers of fallacy like the entrails of burger.

Inasmuch as the “entrepreneurial sojourning” thread cannot be utterly pooh-poohed, it is judicious to explore other reasons why the Igbo are peripatetic. First, in Igbo ethology, it is a cringing evil for a native, man or woman, to commit a “stigmatised” crime (Alu) such as armed robbery, drug-dealing, etc at home. This is not an obviation of abhorrent crimes committed at home by some unabashed Igbo criminals. The truth is, the “home” Igbo criminals are a hopeless and shameless horde whose self esteem and sense of shame are terribly at their nadir, and as a result purvey crimes at home. Inter alia, for any stigmatised crime committed at home (Igbo land) there is a stern reprimand implicit in the cleansing of the crime. The sacerdotal process of cleansing the land of a crime or an abomination is called “Ikpu Alu”. However, “Ikpu Alu” (cleansing of abominations) does not extend to crimes committed by Igbo sons and daughters in places outside the native dome. It is therefore not surprising if some Igbo persons commit heinous crimes in obverse places, and come back home to take chieftaincy titles. As a matter of fact, in some morally weak Igbo communities it is a brave thing to traffic in drugs abroad. Drug barons are gleefully celebrated as Ndi kara Obi (lion-hearted people). Such is the pantomime of the Igbo and crimes.

It is therefore indubitable to posit that an unenviable number of Igbo persons with innate criminal manuals travel outside the Igbo enclave to pursue crimes. This confutes the general idea that the sojourning of the Igbo is driven solely by entrepreneurial inclinations and motives. To a large extent, the sojourning of some Igbo is driven by a morbid aim of shielding their evil trades from the peering eyes of their kinsmen. Their names are protected as long as they do not traffic in crimes at home. The important thing is to be successful in crimes abroad; successful enough to build vulgar mansions at home and throw lazy cash about.
To animate my argument further, what is the entrepreneurial inclination or motive of the Igbo in India, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, South Africa, and other countries peddling drugs? Is the entrepreneurial spirit of the Igbo only awakened abroad? Why should the Igbo entrepreneurial spirit find its host cozily and lopsidedly outside Igbo land? Is there a marriage between Igbo criminality across the world and Igbo entrepreneurial genome? These are questions that defeat the long, tired argument of Igbo entrepreneurial “peripatetism.”
The fact is the “entrepreneurial” beat-up logic and reason for Igbo sojourning is a bored excuse.
Analogously, Igbo sojourning atavism is also effectuated by pride, ego and vanity. A typical Igbo person will want to prove he is successful in anyway. It is wickedly mortifying to be seen as struggling in Igbo land. This underscores the reason many Igbo persons smuggle themselves out of Nigeria, and because it is thought that any person in Obodo Oyibo (white man’s country) or even anywhere outside Igbo land is “doing well”. Those Igbo persons who are “cursed” to be in Igbo land are seen as struggling and as such do not deserve the courtesy of admiration and respect. It is a proud thing for an Igbo father to say, “All my children are in the abroad”; even though “the abroad” is Gabon. Such a father courts the respect, envy and admiration of other fathers in Igbo land. This is the awful linkage between Igbo sojourning and base vanity.
In all, there are Igbo persons in the scrawny good number whose sojourn in foreign countries is not tainted by any evil intent or base vanity, but it is a bleeding fact that the singular Igbo entrepreneurial logic for sojourning is one big smorgasbord of fallacy.
https://www.thecable.ng/igbo-crime-culture/amp

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by GodHatesBigots(m): 2:01pm On Mar 13, 2022
Your hatred of Igbos will eventually lead to the break up and disintegration of that shit hole called Nigeria. It's only a matter of time.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by iyapont: 2:01pm On Mar 13, 2022
They are coming to cry more here.. grin grin let me sip my drink grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by Mooh247: 2:03pm On Mar 13, 2022
cool

I love Vawulence.. let me pack my Jalopy here and enjoy the Sunday gbas gbos with my popcorn

Mkpuru Mniri youths don collect...

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by GodHatesBigots(m): 2:04pm On Mar 13, 2022
Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by IamWonderful: 2:04pm On Mar 13, 2022
Chaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii igbos and criminality?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by iyapont: 2:06pm On Mar 13, 2022
IamWonderful:
they are cursed grin grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by IamWonderful: 2:10pm On Mar 13, 2022
iyapont:
they are cursed grin grin
This one is more than curse it is a terrible state of mind

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by iyapont: 2:11pm On Mar 13, 2022
IamWonderful:
This one is more than curse it is a terrible state of mind
I swear

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by Totilopussylick(m): 2:11pm On Mar 13, 2022
IamWonderful:
Being a criminal is an understatement.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by youngsahito(m): 2:12pm On Mar 13, 2022
IgweOfNnewi:
Fredrick Nwabufo

https://www.thecable.ng/igbo-crime-culture/amp
well said, until when supporting this crime by their kinsman. Crime is not tribe related but the Ibos are known for their drug trafficking and other crimes abroad.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by blancsn1: 2:15pm On Mar 13, 2022
But we don't see your dull headed father to make similar comments when the news about skull mining from the Yorubas. Can we say you are speaking now because you and your father are lunatics. ? Just tot I ask.

ABigWin:
Mr. Nwabufo Again?

I'm neither igbo nor from the SW, but crimes and such vices aren't a cultural thingey nau

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by IgweOfNnewi: 2:15pm On Mar 13, 2022
youngsahito:
well said, until when supporting this crime by their kinsman. Crime is not tribe related but the Ibos are known for their drug trafficking and other crimes abroad.
You are quite right, but it is unfortunate that this set of people will tell you, the criminality is nothing.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by IgweOfNnewi: 2:18pm On Mar 13, 2022
GodHatesBigots:
Your hatred of Igbos will eventually lead to the break up and disintegration of that shit hole called Nigeria. It's only a matter of time.
Which hatred are you talking about, was it not written by Igbo, did he lie?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by GodHatesBigots(m): 2:22pm On Mar 13, 2022
IgweOfNnewi:
Which hatred are you talking about, was it not written by Igbo, did he lie?

Nigeria is a crime scene, 75% of Nigerians are criminals and they come from all tribes and languages.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by youngsahito(m): 2:23pm On Mar 13, 2022
IgweOfNnewi:
You are quite right, but it is unfortunate that this set of people will tell you, the criminality is nothing.
it's about their mindset, they see crime as part of hustling. Get rich or die trying...

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by IgweOfNnewi: 2:24pm On Mar 13, 2022
GodHatesBigots:

Nigeria is a crime scene, 75% of Nigerians are criminals and they come from all tribes and languages.
But why igbos always dominating the crime scene, tell me which crime environment igbos are not present.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by youngsahito(m): 2:25pm On Mar 13, 2022
GodHatesBigots:

pushing drugs and kidnapping abi? U just stay one place to carry out your statistics. Baba 75

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by GodHatesBigots(m): 2:26pm On Mar 13, 2022
youngsahito:
pushing drugs and kidnapping abi? U just stay one place to carry out your statistics. Baba 75

The western part of the country is riddled and plagued with body parts traders, ritualists, skull minners and armed robbers. Every tribe has their own special crime.

Nigeria is full of thieves and criminals and greedy bastards.
Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by iyapont: 2:32pm On Mar 13, 2022
GodHatesBigots:

The western part of the country is riddled and plagued with body parts traders, ritualists, skull minners and armed robbers. Every tribe has their own special crime.

Nigeria is full of thieves and criminals and greedy bastards.
and other parts are not into ritual,armed robbers abi?? Just because the media no they carry the news,If u know the rituals killings that is going on in the east,You won't be saying rubbish

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by Ibadanpikin: 2:33pm On Mar 13, 2022
IgweOfNnewi:
But why igbos always dominating the crime scene, tell me which crime environment igbos are not present.
The are not into skull mining and private part harvesting nor do the sell human head for #5000 the same way u sell your poor wretched fathers skull for peanut.
Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by AsampeteNwaanyi(f): 2:33pm On Mar 13, 2022
the fall of nairaland politics section.

Seun you made this happen when you refused to employ more helping hand in combating bigotry and also reshuffling your mods who appear already compromised.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by GodHatesBigots(m): 2:36pm On Mar 13, 2022
iyapont:
and other parts are not into ritual,armed robbers abi?? Just because the media no they carry the news,If u know the rituals killings that is going on in the east,You won't be saying rubbish

Upgrade your IQ.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by iyapont: 2:38pm On Mar 13, 2022
GodHatesBigots:

Upgrade your IQ.
and yours is empty undecided
Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by Ibadanpikin: 2:41pm On Mar 13, 2022
iyapont:
But we have never hear that skull is been sold for #5000 in east.unlike yorubaland were u and your wretched brothers and sisters compete with each other to see who will mine your parents ugly skulls and sell them for only #5000 due to poverty.
Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by GodHatesBigots(m): 2:41pm On Mar 13, 2022
iyapont:
and yours is empty undecided

You need to rise above primitive bigotry and develop yourself into civilisation, then, and only then will you experience a better Nigeria.
Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by Suspects: 2:50pm On Mar 13, 2022
blancsn1:
But we don't see your dull headed father to make similar comments when the news about skull mining from the Yorubas. Can we say you are speaking now because you and your father are lunatics. ? Just tot I ask.

noise maker shut up!

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by Wazobia2216: 2:54pm On Mar 13, 2022
Dear Fredrick Nwabufo, the person who could afford to pay you to disgrace yourself this way must have also done that from the proceeds of drug money!

I am still waiting to read about Abba Kyari from you!

Idiat!
Re: Igbo Culture Of Wild Spread Criminality And Drug Trafficking Menace by IgweOfNnewi: 2:56pm On Mar 13, 2022
Ibadanpikin:
The are not into skull mining and private part harvesting nor do the sell human head for #5000 the same way u sell your poor wretched fathers skull for peanut.
Hehehehehe I guess otokoto and okija shrines are Catholic HEADCUTTERS, where the whole human beings are been sacrifice, even new born babies are pounding like yam, you think everyone share your parents status, ooooh common don't be mischievous and ridiculous, showing your shallow mentality is absurd and mkpurumiri enhanced, most people are not in the same league with your parents, so using your parents to judge others is unacceptable, stop washing your stenchy undies outside, speak directly to your parents.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Picture Of The suspect Killer Of Abeokuta Couples / See Moment An Ex-corp Member Was Killed For Snatching Ballot Box / Richest Native Doctor In Africa (akwa Okuko Na Oba) Kidnapped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.