Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:47 AM

Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? (4004 Views)

For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. / How Did You Learn Javascript? / HOT AND NEW: Prototype/dummy Home Automation System Using Raspberry & Android (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by airsaylongcome: 5:19pm On Mar 13, 2022
For those that have smart homes how did you get started? I'm looking to start a personal project on this but I'm finding it very hard understanding how to start. If you are a techie and are into home automation how did you get started? I'm aware of a number of software that will enable you start off but what hardware would I require for a basic start? If I just wanted to be able to turn off light bulbs from my phone while I'm not at home what would I need to get to start off? I've been hearing of Zigbee and Z-wave but they all sound very confusing to me. Please advise if you in this field
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by Excel70: 5:41pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:
For those that have smart homes how did you get started? I'm looking to start a personal project on this but I'm finding it very hard understanding how to start. If you are a techie and are into home automation how did you get started? I'm aware of a number of software that will enable you start off but what hardware would I require for a basic start? If I just wanted to be able to turn of light bulbs from my phone while I'm not at home what would I need to get to start off? I've been hearing of Zigbee and Z-wave but they all sound very confusing to me. Please advise if you in this field
Contact this monicker Egunmogaji2

2 Likes

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by airsaylongcome: 5:53pm On Mar 13, 2022
Excel70:

Contact this monicker Egunmogaji2

Ha! This is a formidable moniker in the Cars threads I believe

1 Like

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by Excel70: 6:13pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Ha! This is a formidable moniker in the Cars threads I believe
Yes.He is also into what you are asking for.

1 Like

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by airsaylongcome: 6:18pm On Mar 13, 2022
Excel70:

Yes.He is also into what you are asking for.

@EgunMogaji2...SOS please

1 Like

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by thanksjosh005: 6:56pm On Mar 13, 2022
Home automation? There are lots of tech tools you could start with. Most common is Raspberry pi and Arduino. So you can also try out Google Home.

Home automation in most cases has to do with IoT, however. There are lots home automation projects you can try out. On Google, you can type home automation projects with arduino or raspberry pi.
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by EgunMogaji2: 7:56pm On Mar 13, 2022
I’ll type a lengthy post later but let me Q just quickly put your mind at ease.

All you’ll need to start with is just one or two wall switches. You’ll replace your existing standard wall switches with those. You’ll download an accompanying software.

Then you’ll need an actual router, not a MiFi, I use MTN one. You won’t need data to control your house if you’re home on the network but will need data to turn of your lights remotely from anywhere in the world as long as you have net access.

Now the end goal is not to use your phone to control. You’ll reach a stage of automation that things will be running as programmed.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by Kusnap: 10:43pm On Mar 17, 2022
Top Smart Home Ideas That You Can Apply to Your Home in 2022

Entry way

1. Smart locks

If you’re looking for smart home ideas then you should give consideration to smart locks.If you have a home and a family, then you probably have your concerns about the safety and security of your loved ones. You can never be too cautious when it comes to their well-being and protection, especially when you are not around to monitor what is happening in your home.
A smart lock is a great addition to any home because it allows you to control access to your property by giving you the ability to remotely lock and unlock doors, change passwords, and even allow or deny entry to certain people. Smart lock systems are typically controlled by an app on your smartphone, allowing you to monitor who has access at all times.
Smart locks come with many different features that vary from one model to another. Some of them can be connected directly to your home’s Wi-Fi network while others rely on Bluetooth technology, which means they need to be within 20 meters (approximately 65 feet) of the door they are controlling in order for everything to work properly.

2. Entry Sensors

Home sensors that work with your entry system can be used to activate lights, sound an alarm or notify you when someone approaches, enters or leaves your home. They detect movement by measuring infrared energy emitted by objects in their field of vision.
If a burglar attempts to enter through a window or door, the entry sensor will send a wireless signal to your home security system, sounding an alarm and notifying you of the attempted break-in.
If you want to install entry sensors on all your doors and windows, it is a good idea to use motion sensors for larger areas inside the home. Motion sensors work just like entry sensors but can cover an area large enough to protect several rooms in your home. You might want to put one in your living room and another in the basement or attic if those are rooms where you often store valuables.
Motion sensors can also help you save energy by turning off lights when no one is there. If you don’t want your television or stereo left on while you’re away, motion sensors can automatically turn them off after a certain period of time has elapsed without movement detected within their range. If you’re gone for long periods at a time, motion sensors may turn off your lights during the day to save energy as well.
Bedroom. Learn More here. https://rhebuch.com/building-home-automation/

Smart outlets are another simple option to give you smartphone control over your lights if you don’t want to replace your conventional lightbulbs in bedroom lamps with smart bulbs. You can also get voice-activated light and appliance control if you connect the outlet to your smart speaker.

1 Like

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by niel63(m): 8:10pm On Mar 18, 2022
Interesting... Following and hopefully, I'll implement any or some of the pointers here.

Yippeeee!!!!
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by tofu4u: 9:20pm On Mar 18, 2022
Interesting..........
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by Ssathugit: 12:23am On Jun 15, 2022
With the help of the smart home system, you can turn on the light in any of the rooms while out of the house, run the air conditioner or underfloor heating for your arrival, and so on. I know vivint phone number and recommend that you call with questions that you will have after you install a smart home system from this company.
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by tollyboy5(m): 8:24am On Jun 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:
For those that have smart homes how did you get started? I'm looking to start a personal project on this but I'm finding it very hard understanding how to start. If yoe advise if you in this field
Use this chip . It uses wifi to control appliances

Nodemcu

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by airsaylongcome: 10:19am On Jun 15, 2022
EgunMogaji2:
I’ll type a lengthy post later but let me Q just quickly put your mind at ease.

All you’ll need to start with is just one or two wall switches. You’ll replace your existing standard wall switches with those. You’ll download an accompanying software.

Then you’ll need an actual router, not a MiFi, I use MTN one. You won’t need data to control your house if you’re home on the network but will need data to turn of your lights remotely from anywhere in the world as long as you have net access.

Now the end goal is not to use your phone to control. You’ll reach a stage of automation that things will be running as programmed.

I never saw this until today. So I've got two Pis running HomeAssistant and openHAB each and haven't been able to do much with them. What would be an easy project to start off. Is there a hardware list? And where can I get them in Lagos for example?

I see you mentioned wall switches and I assume these would be light switches. I've been overwhelmed with the jargon in the field. BLE, Zigbee, Z-wave and WiFi. So basically analysis paralysis syndrome. I'd like the least difficult start in terms of hardware tech then I can scale up to more complicated and fancier stuff

1 Like

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by EgunMogaji2: 10:30am On Jun 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I never saw this until today. So I've got two Pis running HomeAssistant and openHAB each and haven't been able to do much with them. What would be an easy project to start off. Is there a hardware list? And where can I get them in Lagos for example?

I see you mentioned wall switches and I assume these would be light switches. I've been overwhelmed with the jargon in the field. BLE, Zigbee, Z-wave and WiFi. So basically analysis paralysis syndrome. I'd like the least difficult start in terms of hardware tech then I can scale up to more complicated and fancier stuff

I used WiFi for the light switches exclusively, really prefer ZigBee but couldn't find them on AliEpress, and use ZigBee for the flood, windows/door/motion sensors, etc Both WiFi and ZigBee can co exist on the same network but you'll need a ZigBee Bridge.

Just think of ZigBee and ZWave as languages and their accompanying bridges as a language translator to WiFi.

"I" think you have over complicated your startup/setup with the Pi's. You don't really need them.

I'll watch a lot of YouTube videos.
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by airsaylongcome: 10:35am On Jun 15, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

I used WiFi for the light switches exclusively, really prefer ZigBee but couldn't find them on AliEpress, and use ZigBee for the flood, windows/door/motion sensors, etc Both WiFi and ZigBee can co exist on the same network but you'll need a ZigBee Bridge.

Just think of ZigBee and ZWave as languages and their accompanying bridges as a language translator to WiFi.

"I" think you have over complicated your startup/setup with the Pi's. You don't really need them.

I'll watch a lot of YouTube videos.

So let's take it from the top. Pi running HA. The goal is to control a few light bulbs for a start. Say the light bulbs in the living room and the home office (both separate rooms). Now what? What's the shopping list to get HA talking to the bulbs and switches?

PS: I appreciate you taking out time to respond

1 Like

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by EgunMogaji2: 11:00am On Jun 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:

So let's take it from the top. Pi running HA. The goal is to control a few light bulbs for a start. Say the light bulbs in the living room and the home office (both separate rooms). Now what? What's the shopping list to get HA talking to the bulbs and switches?

PS: I appreciate you taking out time to respond

It's my pleasure to respond.

I have no hands on experience with Pi specifically.

1) Buy SonOff WiFi wall switch for each room, they have them in single, double and triple gangs. I think single gangs are a waste so go for a double gang for future upgradability.

2) Download the free eWeLink software and free Amazon Alexa software.

3) Get a router. It must be a router, not a MiFi

You'll have everything you need to turn off the lights physically at the wall, wirelessly from your phone and also using voice command after you set it up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by airsaylongcome: 11:26am On Jun 15, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

It's my pleasure to respond.

I have no hands on experience with Pi specifically.

1) Buy SonOff WiFi wall switch for each room, they have them in single, double and triple gangs. I think single gangs are a waste so go for a double gang for future upgradability.

2) Download the free eWeLink software and free Amazon Alexa software.

3) Get a router. It must be a router, not a MiFi

You'll have everything you need to turn off the lights physically at the wall, wirelessly from your phone and also using voice command after you set it up.

Sooooooo I'm a sucker for self contained home networks. Alexa is almost a No-No for me. I have Siri and Alexa completely turned off on my phones. If I could yank them off all my smart devices, I would. I'm a weirdo, I know Lol. For Alexa/Siri replacement, I run a replacement called Mycroft. Not the most flawless of experiences but a huge learning opportunity. I digress.

A quick search shows that Sonoff switches can be integrated with HomeAssistant so I'm almost off to the races. Do you have any vendors for these Sonoffs? I hate to go to Jumia to buy them if I can just get them at some shop or something. Preferably somewhere in Lagos and preferably one between VI/Ikoyi/Lekki-Ajah

Edit: I see you insist on a router. Would a wireless Access Point suffice?

1 Like

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by EgunMogaji2: 11:35am On Jun 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Sooooooo I'm a sucker for self contained home networks. Alexa is almost a No-No for me. I have Siri and Alexa completely turned off on my phones. If I could yank them off all my smart devices, I would. I'm a weirdo, I know Lol. For Alexa/Siri replacement, I run a replacement called Mycroft. Not the most flawless of experiences but a huge learning opportunity. I digress.

A quick search shows that Sonoff switches can be integrated with HomeAssistant so I'm almost off to the races. Do you have any vendors for these Sonoffs? I hate to go to Jumia to buy them if I can just get them at some shop or something. Preferably somewhere in Lagos and preferably one between VI/Ikoyi/Lekki-Ajah

I got my original SonOffs from @TwinsKenny on here but I have been sourcing directly from ALiExpress and Amazon. I recommend TwinsKenny without any reservation.

In my experience all those small hotspot devices did not work until I upgraded to a full router that has a built in WAP.
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by airsaylongcome: 11:58am On Jun 15, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

I got my original SonOffs from @TwinsKenny on here but I have been sourcing directly from ALiExpress and Amazon. I recommend TwinsKenny without any reservation.

In my experience all those small hotspot devices did not work until I upgraded to a full router that has a built in WAP.

Right. I will reach out to them.

I will also intermittently come back here to get insights and advice from you.

Any YouTube channel recommendations on this?
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by twinskenny(m): 2:19pm On Jun 15, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Thank you for the mention sir, we also have for smart ac/water heater switches

1 Like

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jun 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:

This is a nice project. Though there's a difference between wanting to build and just wanting something off popular brand. You're also missing up VA and automation. VA aids automation. Alexa and Siri, Mycroft are VA that aids automation and are just getting popular. We've had automation for years without them.

Are you just interested in the lighting controls, or you want others like contact sensor, color ambiance, motion detectors, room sensors, thermostat, doors, blinds, etc.

Depending on what you want to build and the level of automation you require you have 3 options, go with a starter kit and expand, get the items (brand or offbrand) piecemeal or build your own control system. The 3rd option is where your raspberry comes in. There are limitations to what you can achieve with the 3rd option and system compatibility also comes into play.
If I want to build an automation for my home. I'll get a starter kit and integrate but others prefer to go with other options.

1 Like

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by airsaylongcome: 4:23pm On Jun 15, 2022
Studymore123:

This is a nice project. Though there's a difference between wanting to build and just wanting something off popular brand. You're also missing up VA and automation. VA aids automation. Alexa and Siri, Mycroft are VA that aids automation and are just getting popular. We've had automation for years without them.

Are you just interested in the lighting controls, or you want others like contact sensor, color ambiance, motion detectors, room sensors, thermostat, doors, blinds, etc.

Depending on what you want to build and the level of automation you require you have 3 options, go with a starter kit and expand, get the items (brand or offbrand) piecemeal or build your own control system. The 3rd option is where your raspberry comes in. There are limitations to what you can achieve with the 3rd option and system compatibility also comes into play.
If I want to build an automation for my home. I'll get a starter kit and integrate but others prefer to go with other options.

Really appreciate you taking time out to write this detailed post. So yes I understand all of the VA drama. I'm going with Mycroft primarily because I can understand (and hopefully build) how skills get added.

I'm also a weirdo and like to go through the works of assembling stuff like these to understand the underlying principles. For home automation, I'm not quite sure were I am headed with this but I'm looking to start with the basics and build up.

StarterKits sound great but I believe a lot of these are proprietary with limitations on how much freedom you have with them (I could be wrong about this and I'm happy for you to correct any of my erroneous assumptions).

Presently with HomeAssistant running on a Pi, I'm able to have some automation with my self hosted Media streamer (I have two, plex and jellyfin both of which I am looking to build on).

For a start, I am looking to just have basic automation controlling lighting in a number of spaces. Nothing fancy. Plus I have two Pi 4 8gb sitting down doing nothing so I wanted to get both busy.

I know Home Automation is a never ending rabbit hole, but it's something I am happy to while away time with. Not very sure were I will pivot to after being able to do basic home automation but I am excited at the possible opportunities.

I will be more than happy to have you hand hold me down the rabbit hole. Thanks again for your time and detailed response
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jun 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Really appreciate you taking time out to write this detailed post. So yes I understand all of the VA drama. I'm going with Mycroft primarily because I can understand (and hopefully build) how skills get added.

I'm also a weirdo and like to go through the works of assembling stuff like these to understand the underlying principles. For home automation, I'm not quite sure were I am headed with this but I'm looking to start with the basics and build up.

StarterKits sound great but I believe a lot of these are proprietary with limitations on how much freedom you have with them (I could be wrong about this and I'm happy for you to correct any of my erroneous assumptions).

Presently with HomeAssistant running on a Pi, I'm able to have some automation with my self hosted Media streamer (I have two, plex and jellyfin both of which I am looking to build on).

For a start, I am looking to just have basic automation controlling lighting in a number of spaces. Nothing fancy. Plus I have two Pi 4 8gb sitting down doing nothing so I wanted to get both busy.

I know Home Automation is a never ending rabbit hole, but it's something I am happy to while away time with. Not very sure were I will pivot to after being able to do basic home automation but I am excited at the possible opportunities.

I will be more than happy to have you hand hold me down the rabbit hole. Thanks again for your time and detailed response

By starter kits I was referring to HA kits such as
Samsung SmartThings Home Monitoring Kit,
Google Smart Light Starter Kit,
Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat Kit
Wyze Smart Home Starter Pack

You're right. DIY gives you the most flexibility. Most people though are fine with the options/controls that we already have with existing solutions. For me it will be more of a fun project than having more control functions. I can't really think of options I may want with such projects but then I'm not a weirdo like you. I may not also be too concerned about the VA.

With that off the hook. You will have to determine what you want with the system. Is it purely a switching system or you want to include a dimming, mood control? Do you want to include sensor control? What are the forms of inputs? Are you creating a centralized system for your home? Are you hosting locally or in the cloud? How dirty do you also want to go?(can you work at the PCB level ) In all these research is very important, and funny enough when you search for DIY solutions, many of the results will be already made kits that you fit together.

Moving forward, you need to come up with a design solution. The Blynk app is useful for building prototypes and even advanced projects, Particle is another option. I'll suggest you try out what the Blynk app offers. I can also decide to search/buy a design that suits my project. You can also use one of the YouTube videos and tinker your thing. You just sprinkle my interest, I'll see if I can build something as an for lab purposes.

You may want to check out.
KINCONY 32 Buttons Manual Control RS232
KinCony's KC868-H8 controller
Relay Network Ethernet Relay Controller Module Control Board

There are plenty other options out there and you can use your RP/Arduino. Take me along your journey, if I'm able to come up with something, I'll share.
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by airsaylongcome: 8:07pm On Jun 15, 2022
Studymore123:

By starter kits I was referring to HA kits such as
Samsung SmartThings Home Monitoring Kit,
Google Smart Light Starter Kit,
Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat Kit
Wyze Smart Home Starter Pack

You're right. DIY gives you the most flexibility. Most people though are fine with the options/controls that we already have with existing solutions. For me it will be more of a fun project than having more control functions. I can't really think of options I may want with such projects but then I'm not a weirdo like you. I may not also be too concerned about the VA.

With that off the hook. You will have to determine what you want with the system. Is it purely a switching system or you want to include a dimming, mood control? Do you want to include sensor control? What are the forms of inputs? Are you creating a centralized system for your home? Are you hosting locally or in the cloud? How dirty do you also want to go?(can you work at the PCB level ) In all these research is very important, and funny enough when you search for DIY solutions, many of the results will be already made kits that you fit together.

Moving forward, you need to come up with a design solution. The Blynk app is useful for building prototypes and even advanced projects, Particle is another option. I'll suggest you try out what the Blynk app offers. I can also decide to search/buy a design that suits my project. You can also use one of the YouTube videos and tinker your thing. You just sprinkle my interest, I'll see if I can build something as an for lab purposes.

You may want to check out.
KINCONY 32 Buttons Manual Control RS232
KinCony's KC868-H8 controller
Relay Network Ethernet Relay Controller Module Control Board

There are plenty other options out there and you can use your RP/Arduino. Take me along your journey, if I'm able to come up with something, I'll share.

It's like we are going to have to link-up outside here. Cos you are mentioning things I'm damned interested in (not PCB level yet sha o).
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by xtremeidea(m): 8:12pm On Jun 16, 2022
airsaylongcome:
For those that have smart homes how did you get started? I'm looking to start a personal project on this but I'm finding it very hard understanding how to start. If you are a techie and are into home automation how did you get started? I'm aware of a number of software that will enable you start off but what hardware would I require for a basic start? If I just wanted to be able to turn off light bulbs from my phone while I'm not at home what would I need to get to start off? I've been hearing of Zigbee and Z-wave but they all sound very confusing to me. Please advise if you in this field

I started with an Amazon Echo Dot controlling custom built sockets with Sonoff basic $5 devices and yeelights smart bulbs.

Wanted more grin grin so i added smart IR devices to control TV, AC and every IR/RF devices in my house.

The IoT power was shacking me and i couldn't resist the cravings for more, so i went Full Home Assistant with a Raspberry Pi 4. Added Door Sensors, motion sensors and cameras. It wasnt enough! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Then i added Zigbee to my network and expanded my network and added sensors everywhere (because i can grin grin). I started enjoying the offline benefits of working without internet. Then i wanted more grin grin grin ............... So i went ESPhome madness. cool cool cool

I flashed all my wifi devices so they work locally with ESPhome, bought so many ESP32 & ESP8266 microcontrollers and started building my own sensors! With all this, i wanted more. its obvious i was already sucked into the rabbit hole of Home Automation.

So i bought two micro computers, HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini and Lenovo m93p tiny. I migrated Home Assistant to a virtual machine, ditched the Pi cuz i needed more power.

Now i run Home Assistant as a VM on Proxmox VE, added Docker and portainer and started a media server (Emby) - more like my own netflix.

I also have PiHole, Adguard, Openmediavault 5 & 6 (for network storage), PiAlert and so many more apps on the server.

I still feel i havent arrrived yet! Looking for more inspiration. cool cool cool cool

3 Likes

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by airsaylongcome: 9:17pm On Jun 16, 2022
xtremeidea:

I started with an Amazon Echo Dot controlling custom built sockets with Sonoff basic $5 devices and yeelights smart bulbs.

Wanted more grin grin so i added smart IR devices to control TV, AC and every IR/RF devices in my house.

The IoT power was shacking me and i couldn't resist the cravings for more, so i went Full Home Assistant with a Raspberry Pi 4. Added Door Sensors, motion sensors and cameras. It wasnt enough! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Then i added Zigbee to my network and expanded my network and added sensors everywhere (because i can grin grin). I started enjoying the offline benefits of working without internet. Then i wanted more grin grin grin ............... So i went ESPhome madness. cool cool cool

I flashed all my wifi devices so they work locally with ESPhome, bought so many ESP32 & ESP8266 microcontrollers and started building my own sensors! With all this, i wanted more. its obvious i was already sucked into the rabbit hole of Home Automation.

So i bought two micro computers, HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini and Lenovo m93p tiny. I migrated Home Assistant to a virtual machine, ditched the Pi cuz i needed more power.

Now i run Home Assistant as a VM on Proxmox VE, added Docker and portainer and started a media server (Emby) - more like my own netflix.

I also have PiHole, Adguard, Openmediavault 5 & 6 (for network storage), PiAlert and so many more apps on the server.

I still feel i havent arrrived yet! Looking for more inspiration. cool cool cool cool

You have just mentioned all the nonsense I will like to do! Not emby though. I'm a Plex or Jellyfin buffoon. Pihole locked and loaded (no time for nonsense ads). Proxmox 7.2 sitting on a Lenovo Tiny in one corner running a PBX VM and a host of other smaller VMs (currently testing Peertube for a super secret idea I'm tossing in my head)
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by islamics(m): 12:26am On Jun 17, 2022
airsaylongcome:

It's like we are going to have to link-up outside here.
Cos you are mentioning things I'm damned interested in (not PCB level yet sha o).
Abeg if e possible, make una continue here for peep like me who is following the thread for reference/knowledge purpose.
Some stuff no clear but I still dey read them; e go clear las las hopefully.
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by airsaylongcome: 9:23am On Jun 17, 2022
islamics:

Abeg if e possible, make una continue here for peep like me who is following the thread for reference/knowledge purpose.
Some stuff no clear but I still dey read them; e go clear las las hopefully.

Lol! I am happy to leave the conversations out here. Mesef na learn I dey learn and I didn't know we had a few Home Automation hobbyists on here. A lot of the stuff being thrown around fit confuse you and that's normal. Just step back and start from the top by Googling Home Automation. I also heard that Home Automation is also called Domotics so you can also use that as a keyword. The long story short about home automation is to have IoT control of your home (or dare I say entire building for Commercial Real Estate buildings).

@xtremeidea for your emby setup, where do you get your content from? I'm looking for reliable locations to get at least 1080p or 2160p. Are you on emby premiere or just ole regular emby?

1 Like

Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by xtremeidea(m): 9:39am On Jun 17, 2022
airsaylongcome:

You have just mentioned all the nonsense I will like to do! Not emby though. I'm a Plex or Jellyfin buffoon. Pihole locked and loaded (no time for nonsense ads). Proxmox 7.2 sitting on a Lenovo Tiny in one corner running a PBX VM and a host of other smaller VMs (currently testing Peertube for a super secret idea I'm tossing in my head)

Correct guy! It's so much fun!
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by xtremeidea(m): 9:40am On Jun 17, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Lol! I am happy to leave the conversations out here. Mesef na learn I dey learn and I didn't know we had a few Home Automation hobbyists on here. A lot of the stuff being thrown around fit confuse you and that's normal. Just step back and start from the top by Googling Home Automation. I also heard that Home Automation is also called Domotics so you can also use that as a keyword. The long story short about home automation is to have IoT control of your home (or dare I say entire building for Commercial Real Estate buildings).

@xtremeidea for your emby setup, where do you get your content from? I'm looking for reliable locations to get at least 1080p or 2160p. Are you on emby premiere or just ole regular emby?

I download movies and series a lot. So I uploaded them to my Network storage and have emby pick them from there.
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by islamics(m): 10:08am On Jun 17, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Sure even me surprise for the responses so far. Indeed, lots of low-key peeps abound here.
Yes Sir, na the main goal be that.
Re: Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? by EgunMogaji2: 10:14am On Jun 17, 2022
Just a quick heads up for the beginners that may read this thread.

Please don't be discouraged by posts from the heavy hitters. You don't need this professional level knowledge to introduce automation to your own homes. AliExpress, eBay, Amazon, etc are loaded with first class off the shelf equipment to get you started and you may never need more than that.

Good luck.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Programming Languages Inventors / Need An Android App For Your Blog/website? Get One Free / Build A Bare Bones Reddit Clone With Python And Flask (hands On Tutorial Thread)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.