Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,946 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) (1281 Views)

''life At The Top Cold Night" Is Their Anyway I Could Get This Book For Free / Uncensored Orphanage / My Life At DESPO By Whizkidefe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 2:33am On Mar 14, 2022
***Unknown Destination***

That very day, the old Cook at the kitchen made us had a rethink and suddenly lost appetite. She was turning the boiling soup inside the big pot, our supposed dinner. Her mouth was running fast as she was busy talking to the next Cook by her left.
They were about five in number.
Semilore and I fixed our eyes on her. Suddenly, Semilore noticed something rather strange. Saliva dropped from her mouth into the pot of soup as if there was a burst tap in her throat.

[An Excerpt]

Part 1

Life as an orphan in Edo State was a very tough one. It was a horrible experience that one could barely forget. Not a life I would wish anyone to pass through, if what I experienced years back is applicable to all the orphanage in the universe, then its a den on it own!

I lived it years ago and could still tell exactly how it hurts; the old memories and the hellish experiences we had to bear. The hunger, sadness, depression, restrictions, bullying but few to mention.
For me its like being dead alive. I live that life years ago. For some reasons best known to be I wish to withhold the name of this orphanage. Its located in Edo State, Benin precisely.

Everyday had the same routine and it all started with the annoying 5am wake up call. As usual, someone would have to wake us up - that was the norm. It was quite an experience I remembered. Most times you're tempted to sleep a bit for a few minute and then your houseman would come in and pull all your sheets out and reprimand you for staying in bed after the lights have gone.

Our morning routine goes thus: as soon as the wake up call ends, we assemble for morning devotion which normally last for twenty minutes or less. When this is over, we clean up rooms, prepare for school and ate breakfast.

Our breakfast was usually tea and bread and sometimes pap and watery beans.
At school we were not treated as individual, we were very easy to recognize, we suffered stigmatization. So disheartened how some folks in school abused us for something we didn't choose to be. Nobody choose to be an orphan. We were all victims of circumstances.
There was always ton of things to do after school; our after school routine was studying, more chores before dinner and finally bed time at 9pm.

I grew up at the orphanage not knowing whom my real parents were. The name "Obed" was given to me at the orphanage.
When I eventually made findings how I ended up at the orphanage, some workers would speculate that I was picked up under a bridge by a certain woman, having been abandoned by whoever that brought me into this world but yet nobody knew my real background and the rest became tales.

Liife at the orphanage was never a child's play. For every single thing we did involved cutting corners. We barely had enough to eat yet we moved about like we were living our best lives. Do we have option?
Even though I was surrounded by others in the children's home, I still felt alone. I felt I could be one of those children out there who enjoyed parental care, love and support.

Back then we received visitors from different places; ranging from individuals, organization, clubs, churches and mostly non governmental organizations.
Children's wears, provision and money were mostly accompanied by these visitations.
These visitations normally take place weekends, mostly on Sundays.

After some visitations, we stopped seeing some regular faces but little did it occur to us that they were been adopted by childless couple, mostly the affluent.

My childhood memories at the orphanage won't be complete if I fail to mention Semilore. He was my age mate and we were in the same classmate too. Slim and dark Yoruba boy.
Semilore was my very good friend, my closet pal and my accomplice.
Unlike me, Semilore's story differs. He had lost his mother at the clinic while giving birth to him. According to story, Semilore's mom would have become a single mother if she had won the battle but she joined her ancestors lately after delivery.

After she passed on, there was no one to care for little Semilore and he ended up at the orphanage.
I'm really glad and thankful our path crossed. Semilore was a major tool to my destiny and how life eventually turned out.

Semilore was given preferential treatment. Anytime things were being shared, he always get the best and it sparked a lot of jealousy amongst the orphans.
Every weekend, Semilore do not stay in the dorm as its a code of conduct of the orphanage that any member of the Church can seek an orphan's company during weekends. Semilore had visited many houses and places and I guess this led him to seeing things a kid should never see.

There were various factors that contributed to things he did but the major things were indecency and indulgence. Semilore was hardly corrected as he could be regarded as the golden boy of the orphanage.

We were in SS2 at the orphanage before Semilore persuaded me, he made me took a huge decision that turned out to be the best decision I had ever made in my entire life.
I'm sure you are already anxious to know what this decision could be?
Well, relax, calm your nerves and cross your fingers as I narrate my scintillating story.

Semilore and I were sixteen when we decided to remove the cloak of destitution and face life squarely. It still remain the turning point in my life and the wisest decision.
He had long complained to me how he detested the way and manner we were been treated at the orphanage.

According to him, we were been treated as slaves and it was very unfair. He hated being an orphan, he had always compared himself with the other children.

The major challenge at the orphanage was poor feeding. I had often wondered then why some people would eat only little food and get satisfied. Semilore had also wondered too. He was just an epitome of glutton. He was the second version of "Oliver Twist" always wanting more.
He had told me once that he had never had a full stomach. He would emphasize further that until his hand got tired of conveying the food from the plate to his mouth, he would always continue to eat.

One fateful evening, Semilore and I were opportune to come across the Cooks at the kitchen where our meals were being prepared.
He was feeling famished that he needed to eat something before dinner. He had summoned me to go with him to ask for something to hold him before dinner.

That very day, the old Cook at the kitchen made us had a rethink and suddenly lost appetite. She was turning the boiling soup inside the big pot, our supposed dinner. Her mouth was running fast as she was busy talking to the next Cook by her left.
They were about five in number.
Semilore and I fixed our eyes on her. Suddenly, Semilore noticed something rather strange. Saliva dropped from her mouth into the pot of soup as if there was a burst tap in her throat.

Obed can you see what is happening over there?" Semilore alerted.
"What's that?" I replied lamely.
"Just look at the way that woman's saliva has filled the pot"

Mere looking at her watery mouth made me sick and we suddenly lost appetite. Semilore and I involuntarily walked back, our legs mechanically led us back to the dorm.
See, most of these Cooks are old and sick. For the fact that we eat what they cook, we are very likely to share in their
misfortune since most illness are contagious", said Semilore when we got back to the dorm.

"Obviously, we're walking dead", I replied feeling so furious and worried. I suddenly had this urge to vomit, I felt feverish.
My response "walking dead" gave Semilore a goose bump that I could feel it from his facial expression.

Later in the night when it was time for dinner, Semilore and I felt reluctant to leave the dorm because of what we witnessed earlier. The thought of eating that soup irritated me that I couldn't imagine myself going for dinner too.

Obed, ain't you going for dinner? The Bell has gone already", Semilore announced.
"I rather sleep with empty stomach than taste that soup", I answered.
"See Obed, this is the best time for us to leave this place. I can't continue to bear this torture and hunger any more. We must elope, we must leave now",
Semilore uttered in one breathe.

I was puzzled by his response and he could see it through my widen eyes.
"What? Why are you staring like you didn't comprehend what I just said?" He questioned.
"Erm....erm", I stuttered.
"Obed if you actually meant what you said about not eating tonight, then join me let's take this decision and leave this place, do you want to die from starvation?"

Deep down I was willing to take that decision but the thought of our next possible destination got me dumbfounded.

Semilore, where do we go from here this night?" I uttered after rebooting myself like a corrupt system.
"Obed, you don't have to worry, let's just leave this den, my mind is made up already. C'mon we have lived here for good sixteen years, its time to leave", he added.

Long story short, that was the night we made that best decision of our lives. Semilore and I left the orphanage to change our stories and destinies.
We had successfully sneaked out when no one was watching. Semilore was the brain behind our plans.
We left with few of our belongings which was in our school bags.

It was around 8pm or thereabout. The street light was still illuminating, we could hear the night owls chirping. Major roads bubbled as people went about their normal activities.
It was a journey of unknown destination as Semilore and I slung our bags over the shoulder.

My heartbeat kept skipping but Semilore was the brave one. He led the way and encouraged me to remain calm as we walked.
"This is the beginning of the end", said Semilore, always the optimist.

To be continued..
©️FrankWriter1

_____

If you're following, kindly drop a comment.

If the comments are not encouraging, I'd.... kiss shocked

Do well to like and follow my Facebook page: Frank The Writer

2 Likes

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by sweetonugbu: 6:34am On Mar 14, 2022
Following

1 Like

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 8:37am On Mar 14, 2022
sweetonugbu:
Following

Alright champ.
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by Haakeem(m): 9:24pm On Mar 15, 2022
You did nt even bothered to mention me right!
Anyways...you got a nyc story here.. Nxt episode pls.

1 Like

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by MoneyGoDrop: 11:06am On Mar 16, 2022
Nice one frank. You just reminded me of the hellish years i spent in the boarding school. Please more updates.

PS:Frank, I'm still waiting for the asaba location grin

1 Like

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 12:20pm On Mar 16, 2022
Haakeem:
You did nt even bothered to mention me right!

Anyways...you got a nyc story here.. Nxt episode pls.

Sorry about that bro.

Thank you

Next episode will be posted today.
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 12:21pm On Mar 16, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:
Nice one frank. You just reminded me of the hellish years i spent in the boarding school. Please more updates.

PS:Frank, I'm still waiting for the asaba location grin

Chaii... life of a boarder is quite an epic one. I was once a boarder too.

More updates coming soon.

Lol... I thought I already gave you location.
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by MoneyGoDrop: 2:05pm On Mar 16, 2022
frankwriter

Yes it's quite a life though mine was hellish because it was a seminary school with sub human standard but we survived sha.

Now about the location,i don't think you know how rwady i am to pry out this location from you.

1 Like

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by Dunkjames5(m): 11:33pm On Mar 16, 2022
Interesting ride on pls grin

1 Like

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 12:25am On Mar 17, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:
frankwriter

Yes it's quite a life though mine was hellish because it was a seminary school with sub human standard but we survived sha.

Now about the location,i don't think you know how rwady i am to pry out this location from you.

Smiles... let's connect on Facebook bro.
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 12:28am On Mar 17, 2022
Dunkjames5:
Interesting ride on pls grin

Thank you.
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 12:34am On Mar 17, 2022
Part 2

It was drizzling when we finally made our way to the major road. Cars and trucks swooshed past. Loud music blasted from unseen stereo.
Semilore and I crossed over to the other side of the road where we found a shade under an elderly woman's umbrella who roasted corn by the roadside.

Unlike me, Semilore had some money with him. From his visits while at the orphanage he was able to save some money secretly.
"How much is your corn ma?" Semilore enquired.
"Fifty naira for one", replied the old woman as she continued to fan her red hot charcoal.

Semilore bought two; one for me and one for himself. The woman sold coconut too, so we used that to help ourselves while we waited for the rain to stop before we could continue our journey to the unknown.

"My children, where are you going to this late hour?" Asked the old woman.
"Ah! Shey na because we follow you buy corn you come dey ask us this question?" Semilore answered staring rudely at the old woman.
"Haba! That was harsh. That woman is old enough to be your mother naa", I replied lamely.

"Abegi, don't mind all these old women, most of them are witches and wizard looking for whom to devour, wetin concern her with our destination? Na hunger even make me stop by," Semilore lamented.
The old woman was just staring at us without uttering a word further.

"How much be your corn ma?" Another customer was already in front of her.

Not quite long, a long Dangote truck passed by and halted. I noticed Semilore had his attention towards the truck but my mind was on the roasted corn. I wished he ordered more as I was feeling famished but he was too busy observing the truck.
The other customer bought two and left without noticing how badly I wanted more as I continued to salivate. Poor me!

"Obed can you see that truck over there? The driver and the conductor just crossed the other side of the road", Semilore alerted me.
"So, what are you up to? What should we do?" I questioned in one breathe with a frown face.
I was seriously been dealt by hunger at that moment, my stomach churned continuously.
Not minding my worried look, Semilore drew me closer and whispered into my ear when he noticed the old woman still had her attention towards us.

I stared into Semilore's eyes literally demanding if we're heading the right way or perhaps doing the right thing. He just signaled and with an encouraging eye gesture and a thin smile which literally demand I come with him.

Fast forwarding...., Semilore and I sneaked into the truck when no one was watching. It was an empty truck but we could see some drops of cements and its bags at some side of the truck.
We sat quietly and crossed our legs.
"Where do you think they are going to?" I finally broke the silent that stood between Semilore and I.

"This truck is not going anywhere than Lagos, just be calm and optimistic, we'll be fine, God will protect us.
"Hmmm, protect us? When we left without having any destination in mind", I countered.
"Obed, please just stop. You can still go back to the orphanage, we're still close, as for me, I am not stepping out from here till we get to Lagos, I'm sure people will help us if we narrate our stories to them", he said and paused.

I was about replying but was suddenly held back by Semilore who obstructed my mouth with his right palm.
"Sshhhhh, they're coming", he alerted.
We remained calm and quiet like a newborn pussycat untill they entered the front side of the truck and in no time our journey out of Edo State began.
Semilore seemed calm and relaxed; he had his arms folded and his face casted down while I sat upright with myriads of thoughts that rushed through my head.

Nevertheless, I stayed hopeful and calm just like Semilore would always wanted me to be.
He actually knew more than I do. Semilore had been exposed to a lot while we were at the orphanage, so having him by my side was a boost of confidence.
The weather was cool as we journeyed and not quite long we dozed off.

When we arrived at Ore, that should be around 10pm or less. The truck stopped at one fast food restaurant. I guess they wanted to eat or refuel.
The conductor alighted from the truck, moved back and pointed his torch inside the truck and shockingly for him, he saw us sleeping in a corner of the truck.

"Subanalahi" he exclaimed rather surprisingly. Obviously they were from the northern part of the country. He quickly alerted the driver who was dumbfounded seeing Semilore and I inside the truck.
At this point, we were already woken up by their conversation in hausa.
My heartbeat skipped, I was startled and felt it was the end of the road for us but Semilore stared back at them with ease.
For like forty seconds, silence stood between us before the driver finally broke
the whist.

"I dey craze? Wetin I dey do for this place?" The driver lamented.
Semilore and I stared at each other but couldn't utter anything.
"I still dey look myself kwo? Oya come down", announced the conductor who pointed torch on us.
We carefully climbed down the truck, my heart was beating faster and this Semilore knew so well, so he took the mantle and boldly narrated our ordeals to the duo who eventually felt pity for us.

The conductor understood English better, so he did the necessary interpretation to the driver who was prone to hausa.
"I get am for name kwo?" The driver questioned.
"My name is Semilore and my brother is Obed", Semilore answered.
"I don eat kwo?" Asked the driver.
Semilore and I replied in unison that we had not eaten.
The duo took us to the nearest food seller where we were asked to order for anything we wish to eat.

That was the very first time we had such good meals without soliciting for it. Semilore ordered for fried rice and chicken. I wanted to go for egusi soup and eba but then I remembered the old woman and the soup at the orphanage, I got irritated and ended up eating same thing with Semilore.
They equally bought us suya and soft drinks. That night we came alive and refreshed again.

I never knew Hausas could be that caring and could have such spirit of hospitality.
Hassan is the driver's name while Muhammad was the conductor's name.
The duo spent almost thirty minutes interacting with their fellow brothers who sold suya there. Semilore and I just stood and stare, none of us understood what they were saying as they interacted in their dialect.
From the way the other hausa guys frequently stared at us while they talked, I felt they were discussing about Semilore and I but then we waited to see if we could continue the journey or not.

Moments later, the driver and his conductor invited us to a corner to have words with us. The conductor sat us down and gave us a long talk that changed our mindset from our desired destination.

According to the conductor if translated from his pidgin English, he said and I paraphrase,
"Lagos is not the best place for you to go. Nobody will help you there, people are scared of helping strangers this days. Besides, Lagos is overpopulated. You both might find it difficult to cope. If you go there, you will suffer. The people there will ask you to go to your parents and might not believe your story to be true. Lagos is like no man's land and everybody is after their business, so you might not be lucky to come across the good folks".

Semilore and I just stared into the thin air and couldn't utter a word. He continued:

"Where we are right now is Ore, here would be better to begin a new life if you both would agree to stay with my brothers, (pointed towards the boys selling suya) the cost of living here is cheaper and affordable.

My brothers could teach you how to sow and repair shoes, they could teach you how to amend clothes using hand sewing machine and you both can make ends meet from it. Life would surely be better here than Lagos", he emphasized.

His words of advice really sank deep into our bone marrows.
He asked if we can relate in Yoruba.
"No", we chorused.
"Obed what do you think?" Asked Semilore.
"Hmmm, do we have option?" I enquired as our eyes got locked in contact but Semilore was quick to avert his eyes.
"We should stay right?' Semilore questioned.
I nodded head in affirmation even while my heart was saying otherwise, I betrayed it right away.

Having accepted to settle with their brothers, they took us to the corner where their brothers stood and told them our fate.
Danjuma and Gambo as they introduced themselves while we told them our names too.
Dark and tall hausa boys possibly in their mid twenties. They seemed happy to have us around even though we weren't of the same tribe.

Before they left, they promised us that we would surely see them from time to time as Muhammad emphasized they would always stop by whenever they get to Ore.
Hassan assured us that their brothers would take care of us, accommodate us and help us start a new life. He gave Semilore and I five hundred naira each.

"Thank you so much ", we chorused.
He insisted we use it judiciously.
We responded positively by nodding our heads like agama lizard.

Semilore and I watched as they returned to the truck, it got ignited and zoomed off.
That was how our journey to Lagos got aborted as we settled with Danjuma and Gambo who sold suya at Food Way Restaurant, Ore.
Another phase of life just begun

To be continued...
©️FrankWriter1

______

Twitter and IG: frankwriter1

Please, like and follow my Facebook page: Frank The Writer.

If you're following, kindly drop a comment too.

2 Likes

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by Dunkjames5(m): 12:55am On Mar 17, 2022
Nice one wink

1 Like

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 1:34am On Mar 17, 2022
Dunkjames5:
Nice one wink

Garcias
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by Haakeem(m): 2:43am On Mar 17, 2022
Nxt.
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by MoneyGoDrop: 10:39am On Mar 17, 2022
Nice one. Hausas are more accommodating than they look,once you don't use their women or disrespect their religion.

Frankwriter, I'm not on fb anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 1:10am On Mar 18, 2022
Haakeem:
Nxt.

Coming soon bro.
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 1:11am On Mar 18, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:
Nice one. Hausas are more accommodating than they look,once you don't use their women or disrespect their religion.

Frankwriter, I'm not on fb anymore.

Yes. They are really accommodating bro.

Alright, chat me up on WhatsApp
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by Haakeem(m): 6:09am On Mar 18, 2022
frankwriter:

Coming soon bro.
no probs...
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by MoneyGoDrop: 6:29am On Mar 18, 2022
frankwriter

Yes. They are really accommodating bro.

Alright, chat me up on WhatsApp

Ok I'll do that.

1 Like

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 8:21pm On Mar 20, 2022
Part 3 will be coming soon guys.
So sorry I have been busy lately.
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 8:35pm On Mar 20, 2022
Part 3

Danjuma and Gambo was glad to have us. Their warmth welcome, smiles and comforting words calmed my nerves.
According to them, we would have to stay with them until around 5am before we would all return to their apartment.
"Okay," Semilore and I chorused.

That night, Semilore and I slept on a long bench which was by the end of their shop. Our bags served as pillow as we held it like our lives depend on it. Not quite long, we slept off.

Two fat cows were at the roadside having a serious brawl, butting their horns in a test of strength. It was strange and intensive that it captured our attention. Semilore and I felt amazed, we opted out and moved closer to see things for ourselves.

Just the moment we approached closer, the cows stopped fighting and channeled their direction towards us looking fierce with their long sharpened horns.
My heart beat skipped, my skin almost left my body. We took on our heels immediately but yet they ran after us like a predator runs after its prey.
Fear gripped us. Chioma Ajunwa was our case, we ran like Usain Bolt without looking back.
But sadly for me, suddenly I hit my left foot against a big stone, I felled and stumbled so badly.
Turning back, the cow was running faster and closer. Semilore didn't notice I fell, he continued.

I tried standing up but my legs failed me. Guess what, I had a fractured leg already. The pain was intensive that I couldn't help but to scream as the cow was about five meters away. It then skipped higher with the intention to jump on me but only for me to realize it was all a nightmare as my eyes opened in shock.
My heart was beating faster. I heaved a big sigh of relief as it was just a dream.

Nightmare is something I experience anytime I sleep lying on my back with my face upwardly. It had happened severally at the orphanage that I realized it was all because of my sleeping position.
I turned to check on Semilore, he was snoring loudly and I couldn't catch a sleep till morning.

It was around 5:30am when we left Food Way Restaurant. The cock crowed severally, the cloud was still up as we all trekked. Danjuma and Gambo led the way while we followed.
My eyes were heavy; I was still feeling dizzy, I kept missing step as we followed the duo.

No. 5 Ajelanwa street was where Gambo and Danjuma reside.
Gambo opened the black gate that lead to the compound while we opted in.
At first I thought we would end up squatting in one room with them but what we saw was beyond our imagination.

A storey building surrounded by other houses with a well at the centre. It appeared in a square shape having three entrance and exit.
They occupied a two bedroom flat. It was well furnished with a plasma TV that hung at the centre of the Sitting room.
Danjuma took our bags inside the bedroom and showed us the bathroom.
"Call me if I want anything, I go bring am come", said Danjuma who had a better accent than Gambo who struggled to speak pidgin English.

As water gushed down on my head right inside the bathroom, the memories of the previous day filled my head; how we sneaked out of the orphanage, our encounter with Muhammad and Hassan and how we ended up with Gambo and Danjuma. I felt nostalgic.
Ajelanwa is a fast-paced, rowdy and busy area where people from different ethnic groups, tribe, religious differences, young and old but yet lived in peace and harmony. There’s always seems to be a frenetic pace to every activities on the street.
Experiences are unique to every human – beautiful, ugly, and the beautifully ugly (the oxymoron that keeps coming to mind while thinking of this street).
Perhaps, you can’t simply find a word or groups of words to explain the experience of those living in this street, you need to walk up to each person living in this street to reach an appropriate.
Fast forwarding, Gambo was married to Aminat who was always on "hijab" worn by Muslim faithful’s. Aminat was young, vibrant and beautiful diva whose accent was more like a British.
She welcomed us wholeheartedly having heard our pathetic tales.
Aminat was jovial and friendly too, she engaged Semilore and I in a long conversation that made us knew her better.
She had graduated from ABU, Zaria the previous year and was waiting patiently for Clarion call.

It was such a beautiful moment having heart to heart with her.
She was fond of ending everything she said with "Inshallah" which literally means "If God wills" or perhaps God willing.
Funny enough she promised to teach us Hausa since we could only relate in English.

The prospect of living with Gambo and Danjuma grew daily and was such an ease unlike the days at the orphanage.
Our daily routine here goes thus: wake up every morning, Semilore and I would say a quick prayer before going about our morning chores, sweeping the house, washing the dishes and other necessary domestic duties except cooking. Aminat was in charge of every single thing we ate.
We ate hausa’s delicacies too and with time we became used to Tuwo Shinkafa, Zogale (Moringa) Fura da nono (Yoghurt with millet) If you haven’t tasted any of these hausa’s delicacies, you are actually missing a lot.

Danjuma and Gambo was always consistence with their suya business and would sometimes ask us to go with them.
We were opportune to see Muhammad and Hassan again. I'm sure you haven't forgotten whom they're? The driver and his conductor.
They were happy we adhered to their advice. Thanked Gambo and Danjuma for the good work and encouraged them that Allah would surely bless them.

To be continued....
©️FrankWriter1

Do well to like and follow my Facebook page:
Frank The Writer.

2 Likes

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by MoneyGoDrop: 10:53pm On Mar 21, 2022
Another interesting piece!! Keep it up frankwriter.

1 Like

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 12:16am On Mar 22, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:
Another interesting piece!! Keep it up frankwriter.

Thank you.
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by silverlinen(m): 10:00am On Mar 22, 2022
Omo be like say i go rent 2 bedroom flat for here ooo.
OP oya make updates roll in oo.

1 Like

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 5:42pm On Mar 22, 2022
silverlinen:
Omo be like say i go rent 2 bedroom flat for here ooo.
OP oya make updates roll in oo.

Updates on the way.
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 5:51pm On Mar 22, 2022
Part 4 (End)

The following year, things got better. Towards the mid of the year, God miraculously blessed Danjuma with a lucrative business that changed our lives. He left Ore and moved down to Kano where he earned in hundreds of thousands monthly.

Left in the house were Gambo and his wife, Semilore and I.
That was when Semilore and I fully moved into Danjuma's room, we enjoyed our sleep on the comfort of his bed. Before then, we usually lay on the couch at the Sitting room every night.

Danjuma was too kind that he changed his brother's life too. He sent Gambo money regularly, and money for our upkeep he sent to Aminat.

With time, Gambo stopped selling suya too. He opened a fabric warehouse where he sold all kinds of fabrics.
That same year, Aminat came up with her prophecy. According to her, Allah ministered to her that we have got a brighter future ahead and so we should return to school and finish up.

Gambo never hesitated in making plans for this. He had always believed her wife’s prophecies. Aminat was so fervent in prayers and hears from Allah, that was according to Gambo.
Some people are angels and when you're lucky to meet them, they don't care what your tribe or religion before they help you.
Semilore and I were happy to return to school but sadly we were asked to repeat SS2. We hadn't finished same class before we left the orphanage.

After one year, we wrote our SSCE, had our valedictory party and left secondary school.
Semilore and I were among the candidates with the best results in our school.

We made A's and B's - Our school was very proud of us and likewise Gambo and his wife.
Aminat was very kind to us. She treated us like her own blood. We would always get clothes and shoes from her very Easter and Christmas even when our religion and beliefs differs.

Two years on, Semilore and I wrote Jamb and that was when we separated from each other to pursue our dreams.
Semilore ended up in Futo while I settled for Federal Poly. Nekede where I studied Mass Com. Semilore went for Petroleum Engineering for five years which was equal to my years in Poly. The two school ain't far from each other, so we saw each other on few occasions.

During our holidays, we would come back to help Gambo at the warehouse. We would work in one of the warehouse until holiday was over.
Gambo and Danjuma never stopped sending us money anytime we call on them. We lived better than most students who had parents. Yes, we never lacked anything while in school.

Gambo and Danjuma had this belief that Allah blessed them because they adopted us wholeheartedly and so they never stopped coming to our need anytime we called for assistance.
Semilore made first class while I graduated with second class upper after our five years in school.

Gambo already had two children while Danjuma got married at Kano the previous year before we graduated. We saw him last during our valedictory party when he visited Ore again.
That same year, we got the sad news about Muhammad and Hassan who died on their way to Lagos after they collided with another coming truck.

To abridge my story and save your time, after my youth service, I got work with a radio station in Lagos while Semilore got work at an oil company at Port Harcourt where he eventually moved on to live.

Even while we moved on with our lives, the relationship we had with Gambo and Danjuma still blossomed. They were happy how our lives turned out to be and we were glad they helped us reach the peak.

We maintained a good relationship. Obviously the hen does not forget who plucked it's feathers during the raining season.

So our story actually taught me the beauty in taking risk in life. Leaving the orphanage was the biggest risk but the wisest decision we ever made.

Our story also taught me that in life, we need each other to succeed. Nobody can do it alone. A tree cannot make a forest and likewise no man is an island.

Semilore was a tool to my destiny and likewise Danjuma, Gambo, Aminat and the late driver and his conductor - may their souls rest in peace - Amen!

So when there's a will, there surely will be a way. Don't let anyone deceive you. There is light of every dark tunnel for everyone.
Most times we only remain in the darkness of the tunnel because we are just too scared to approach the light. If we actually make a move we would surely be out of the tunnel.

When we fight over tribe or religion, we do so because we are largely ignorant of our existence and how God can use us as angels to help one another.

Humanity should always count because we are all one and the same before our maker. So let's unite, regardless of our race, tribe and religion.
"Humanity Over Religion" should be the watchword and our signatures.

This is the end of my story.
Unknown Destination is dedicated to everyone out there irrespective of tribe and religion, embrace every soul they come across knowing we are one before our maker. God bless!!.

Let's do a quick review please.
If you actually read this story from the beginning to end, please drop a comment. Pleaseee......don't scroll down without a comment. �

There must be something you have learnt from this epistle.
Feel free to drop your review of the story.

Like, and Comment �
For more stories, like and follow my Facebook page: Frank The Writer.

©️FrankWriter1

Instagram & Twitter: frankwriter1

4 Likes

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by gallivant: 6:24pm On May 02, 2022
smiley

1 Like

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by gallivant: 6:28pm On May 02, 2022
E
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 7:41pm On May 02, 2022
If you are here, kindly follow my Facebook page for more amazing stories.

@ Frank The Writer

Use the link for easy access

https://www.facebook.com/FrankWriter1
Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by kceemart(f): 10:19pm On May 02, 2022
The story is inspiring..To make it in life you just have to keep moving.If cannot fly,you run,if you cannot run you work,if you cannot walk,you crawl.But the watch word is you must keep moving.

1 Like

Re: Unknown Destination (The Hellish Life At The Orphanage) by frankwriter(m): 1:49am On May 03, 2022
kceemart:
The story is inspiring..To make it in life you just have to keep moving.If cannot fly,you run,if you cannot run you work,if you cannot walk,you crawl.But the watch word is you must keep moving.

Yeah bro.
You said it all.

Keep moving!!

(1) (Reply)

Gory Tale (II): I Pass My Neighbor / My Story - My Own Blood. / Lie Much?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.