Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:44 PM

What Are The Misconceptions People Have Of You As A Writer? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Are The Misconceptions People Have Of You As A Writer? (534 Views)

Have you been scammed as a writer? Share your story! / 5 Things You Need To Know Before Dating A Writer / Misconceptions - A (Not So) Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Misconceptions People Have Of You As A Writer? by kayo80(m): 10:25am On Mar 15, 2022
Hello guys...I want to ask the writers on here a question...What are the misconception people have of you as a writer that are not so?

Let me start with mine, so you understand my question a little better.

*People Know I'm a Fiction Writer, But Feel I Should be a Perfect Non Fiction Writer Too

I can't count how many friends and family have called me to write their CV for them, or to write articles and all that for them. I try to tell them, I am a fiction writer, a romance writer at that... I am not so good with formal writing. I just have a great imaginative mind, and can come up with stories. I tell them, I am storyteller, and some times make some grammatical errors when I am writing. They always don't want to believe me. They just believe I don't want to help them.

*They Believe Writing is a Hubby, and Nothing More

Things are slow right now with writing for me, but there was a period of time (2012-2018) when 90% of my income was coming from writing...selling my stories/books online, and writing for other people...and even getting money from my Hip Hop blog...But most people don't believe one can make a living from just writing.

My mentor (he is on Nairaland) writes mostly non-fiction, and that's all he does to sustain his family. He built his house, bought his cars, all from writing non fiction books. But a lot of people, when you tell them you're a writer, they ask, "okay, what do you really do for a living." embarassed

*They Feel I Should Be Perfect with Use of English Like Soyinka

As I said earlier, I still make grammatical errors when I write. I am not a literary genius...I don't automatically know the meaning of big words like Embourgeoisement and Consanguineous because I am a writer. There are different types of writers.

Those are main misconceptions people have about me as a writer...Please share yours.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Misconceptions People Have Of You As A Writer? by suffering: 5:41am On Mar 16, 2022
People believe I should have penned books since I write a lot.

Em, no. I'm good with comments and putting my opinions into text. With at least 500,000 plus comments composed over my lifetime, the number should make for at least eight full length books consisting of 2,000 pages.

Anybody can become a writer with the proliferation of social media. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Misconceptions People Have Of You As A Writer? by kayo80(m): 9:45am On Mar 16, 2022
suffering:
People believe I should have penned books since I write a lot.

Em, no. I'm good with comments and putting my opinions into text. With at least 500,000 plus comments composed over my lifetime, the number should make for at least eight full length books consisting of 2,000 pages.

Anybody can become a writer with the proliferation of social media. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Yeah.

Thanks for the comment.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Misconceptions People Have Of You As A Writer? by Bam17(f): 6:38pm On Apr 09, 2022
People believe I make money from the many books I have in store. Well, that's just wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Nana Killed Her Husband- "A Prompt I Gave CHATGPT / To Scream Or Not ! / Change

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.