Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,143 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:42 AM

Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth (22862 Views)

How Do I Handle A Neighbor Who Is A Professional In This / Thank You Nairaland: Finally Went To Greet My Neighbor Who Just Gave Birth / How Do I Greet A Barren Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Holluwhakemmy(f): 4:12pm On Mar 16, 2022
Whois:
My wife gave birth 4 days ago but visitors are not dropping any gift o, only prayers. Please what's the meaning of e ku owo lomi? I have heard it like 5 times this week. Thanks
Congratulations on your new born baby. E ku owo lomi, it means happy putting hands in water after childbirth there is a lot of activity involving dipping of hands in water like washing baby clothes and bathing of baby. It just a form of saying congratulations to the woman that just put to bed.

1 Like

Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Imjustagirl(f): 4:29pm On Mar 16, 2022
Offpoint1:
Enter and congratulate them, ask for gender, demand for powder, biscuit or drinks, tell dem lies "e too resemble him papa or mama", finish your drinks- drop something---max 5h, promise to come back dat ya going somewhere.... move.

You're asking him to demand for drinks and still telling him to drop maximum 500 naira. Fear God my brother
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by princeemmma(m): 4:50pm On Mar 16, 2022
AnonyUser:
I know this is not the right section for this but I need a wider view.

My neighbor just gave birth. I want to go greet them but I'm short of what to say. I don't wanna go there and be looking like a fool.

I don't know how to start the conversation.

What do I say when I get there?

I don't know how something so simple could be also very difficult to do grin.

i understand how you feel my man.......... I remember when my wife gave birth, the doctor came and announce to me that my wife has delivered a baby girl, i was happy and felt relieved .......... i went to delivery room.............. on seeing my wife look, (omoh she look tired and stressed) and looking at my little daughter crying with blood over her, i was short of word.......... i just stood there looking like a muron (my thought was that, am i a father, just like that) ....... the nurse was like Mr. man, you can't even show some love to your wife..... see the way you are standing....

Sometimes there are somethings we are not use to, but as time goes on.... we will all get use to it

Back to your question...... i think all you have to do is buy a gift for the baby, when you get there, say hello to them, congratulate the mother drop your gift and move.... that's a man thing

1 Like

Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Munzy14(m): 5:04pm On Mar 16, 2022
AnonyUser:

My neighbor just gave birth. I want to go greet them but I'm short of what to say. I don't wanna go there and be looking like a fool.

Introvert.. grin grin
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by SheikhMuniru(m): 5:06pm On Mar 16, 2022
Happy married life is the greetings
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by shantti(m): 5:07pm On Mar 16, 2022
LesbianBoy:
Just enter their house and say

"Neighbor ekaro"

"eku giving birth o"

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by shantti(m): 5:12pm On Mar 16, 2022
And the worst thing is that u have to speak Yoruba to them even if u r not Yoruba
If it's me that cannot speak Yoruba, I"ll be like
eku se oh, se oya wereh, adupe oh, dide, joko, o Jade, Ori ope, mo fera ewa. Mo fe lo bayi. I don't know what all these means and I don't care, I will just say it and go my way

1 Like

Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Octobertwentysix(f): 5:27pm On Mar 16, 2022
AnonyUser:

It's simple just buy something your pocket can afford, example a pack of detergent, baby wipes or a pack of newborn diapers, then knock and enter, say una Weldon o, congratulations baby welcome to Nigeria, your steps are blessed, you will be a blessing to your parents, Nigeria will favour you, then sit down small if they offer you a drink, accept it and thank them before you know conversation will just flow after a while you get up and leave case closed, when ever you see them in the morning yuo just greet and say how baby.

1 Like

Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by bizzibodi(m): 5:33pm On Mar 16, 2022
Zonefree:

You don't have to say too much. Just say congratulations, touch the baby and drop some money and bounce.
Touch which baby?
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by confydoedowaye(m): 6:33pm On Mar 16, 2022
Just tell her happy birthday
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Greycious(m): 6:41pm On Mar 16, 2022
Zonefree:

You don't have to say too much. Just say congratulations, touch the baby and drop some money and bounce.

@OP I support this advise but DO NOT touch the baby.

T for thanks
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Oturatetuala(m): 7:12pm On Mar 16, 2022
Same here I don't know I tell you
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by dastroud(m): 7:57pm On Mar 16, 2022
When going relax you ur face small and when u enter e dey important to open teeth dey smile or else make I no talk d rest then u go like this

Eku ewu omo o
Olohun a wo
Olohun a dasi

Then u go closer to d baby smiling the more and say

Haahaa
Fine boy fine boy
Oko awon olomoge
O wa jo mummy bayii ( important to say that else mama no go drop cabin biscuit for you)
Ma worry sogbo mummy e o salo
Iwo na gba owo Odun e

Then drop your 1k beside em bed then discharge with your 4 pieces of cabin biscuit
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Iphone5: 8:00pm On Mar 16, 2022
Simply request for the DNA result
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Karleb(m): 8:23pm On Mar 16, 2022
One thing that works for me is go there when other visitors are around.
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by lomprico(m): 8:41pm On Mar 16, 2022
AnonyUser:

Buy pampers n go. Tell them congratulations. Shikena
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Mgbafo: 8:56pm On Mar 16, 2022
You must be an introvert.

Just say:
Wow, congratulations.
Your baby is cute.

Then ask for the gender of the baby.

You continue:
This is beautiful. Ok, I want to get something over there.
Then you give them whatever you have and leave.
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Pacesetterz: 9:05pm On Mar 16, 2022
jclassiq:
You: Good morning madam.
She: good morning brother.
You: how una dey o?
She: fine sir.
You: Thank God for safe delivery. Congratulations
She: yes o. Thanks sir.
You: how baby? Na man or woman?
She: na man o.
You: oh okay. Nice one.
She: yeah.
*Awkward silence****
2 minutes later...
You: Okay, make i come dey go. I get one (occult) meeting to attend... *(Or you can manufacture whatever suits you).* Make una use this one buy milk... *Hand her 4k***
She: ah...! Brother thank you ooo, thank you sir. God bless you sir.
You: no wahala madam. Make una take care. Take care of baby. Bye bye.
She: bye bye sir.
*You come outside sweating � profusely.* Whew !!!

That awkward silence na him op dey avoid..hahahahaha

I sabi op type. Na those kind of neighbors wey no dey interact (or anti social) with neighbors reason why he’s finding it hard to do. This is y one must be sociable (I no mean say make u go dey open teeth anyhow with neighbors,make dem no see u finish).

At least a day in a week,make u stand greet/do some chit chats with neighbors for some mins before entering ur space. U can discuss a lil abt Buhari and his fuel matter or some political discourse.

If u were doing all these u won’t come here to ask to put words in ur mouth to go greet neighbor and her baby...it would have been way easier.

2 Likes

Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Aaay: 9:29pm On Mar 16, 2022
Gift offcourse
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by NoToPile: 9:39pm On Mar 16, 2022
Whois:
My wife gave birth 4 days ago but visitors are not dropping any gift o, only prayers. Please what's the meaning of e ku owo lomi? I have heard it like 5 times this week. Thanks

Loool, eku hand inside the water.

Meaning those with new babiess are always washing or bathing baby [ your hand will always be inside water.

All these our Yoruba greetings expressions ehn.

1 Like

Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by orumba(m): 10:19pm On Mar 16, 2022
The baby resemble you ni??

1 Like

Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by jclassiq(m): 12:12am On Mar 17, 2022
Pacesetterz:

I sabi op type. Na those kind of neighbors wey no dey interact (or anti social) with neighbors reason why he’s finding it hard to do. This is y one must be sociable (I no mean say make u go dey open teeth anyhow with neighbors,make dem no see u finish).

At least a day in a week,make u stand greet/do some chit chats with neighbors for some mins before entering ur space. U can discuss a lil abt Buhari and his fuel matter or some political discourse.

If u were doing all these u won’t come here to ask to put words in ur mouth to go greet neighbor and her baby...it would have been way easier.
Lol.
I won't even lie, i would have asked the same question some years ago. But at this moment, the only one that makes me want to die is going on condolence visits. That one dey hard me like mad..

1 Like

Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by frozen70(f): 2:28am On Mar 17, 2022
AnonyUser:

Only you understands your thoughts

What's difficult in saying Congratulations to the couple and dash the child money even if it's 1000
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by faithfull18(f): 9:00am On Mar 17, 2022
Lol, introverts wahala. Just pay me let me help you greet your neighbor grin
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by AnonyUser(m): 10:14am On Mar 17, 2022
tellwisdom:
Please don’t touch someone’s baby with your dirty hand. Just greet and ask them how they did it.

Lol
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by AnonyUser(m): 10:16am On Mar 17, 2022
faithfull18:
Lol, introverts wahala. Just pay me let me help you greet your neighbor grin

How much? Lol

I have already though
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by AnonyUser(m): 10:19am On Mar 17, 2022
jclassiq:

Lol.
I won't even lie, i would have asked the same question some years ago. But at this moment, the only one that makes me want to die is going on condolence visits. That one dey hard me like mad..

Bro, I never see anything wey hard reach condolence visit. I dey always avoid am

1 Like

Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by AnonyUser(m): 10:21am On Mar 17, 2022
Pacesetterz:

I swear bro.. You are 100% correct at the bolded.
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Lewisdinho(m): 10:49am On Mar 17, 2022
Just say congratulations but don't touch the baby. Some people don't accept that.
Zonefree:

Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Tapout(m): 11:11am On Mar 17, 2022
AnonyUser:

Whatever you decide, remember to wear a face mask before you go. Some nursing mothers are not comfortable with unmasked visitors being around their babies in this covid era. And if you much touch the baby, leave the face alone. Some are also not okay with that.

1 Like

Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by GboyegaD(m): 2:46pm On Mar 17, 2022
Zonefree:

Touch a new born baby who is yet to get his/her shots?
Re: Help: How Do I Greet A Neighbor That Just Gave Birth by Najdorf: 8:29pm On Mar 17, 2022
AnonyUser:

Just like that? grin

Bro, e get as e be nah.
The reason why you think it's so hard or big is because you make it such in your mind. Simple as that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

70% Of Failed Marriages In Nigeria Come From Girls That Bleach - Philanthropist / My Funny Experience Today December 25th / Dead Man In Mortuary Impregnates Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.