Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,162 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) (3852 Views)

My Journey To Yikpata Camp, Kwara State (2020 Batch B)part 1 / Corper Proposes To Female Soldier In Kwara NYSC Camp (Video) / My Experience At The NYSC Camp, Yikpata, Kwara State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 1:36pm On Apr 11, 2022
That was the same thing I heard from beautiful girls that should have represented our platoon in Miss Nysc. ALL scared of winning

BNXN later had to audition and he won. Though, he didn't take first but man still won something.

The heat there was still mad. Aside those using the main toilet, I never got to see the inside. I heard it's neat. I always schedule my pooing exercise. Not as if I do that often
Let's say once every three or four days and it's always with the popular shot-put method.

THE reason is that I'm scared of getting infected. Even if WC is looking Clean as f*ck, I'd be darned to rest my buttocks on it to poo

My previous school thought me a lot.

Talking about groups, aside OBS which are the media, we have the red cross group, well, they apply first aid
Many people fainted
Like, it was a galore and the State coordinator really tried. Mrs Olaleye Francisca. I think that's the name. she took us as her children. Always smiling and she do threaten us a times.

Well, I'm either at the kitchen or on the parade ground.

For the food, well, people do not like the Tea. I will tell you to come with Milk, chocolate and sugar. All those ants that surround sugar are not present in Yikpata. I remember in lagos, a drop of sugar will invite the whole army into your house but in Yikpata, I noticed not a single one.

There is no need to come with a mosquito net too. Thank God I didn't go with one. There's no reason to use it

Where you are battling with heat, you want to use a mosquito net
I pity you

No mosquitos there. They all went for a holiday. I guess it's the mad sun
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 1:45pm On Apr 11, 2022
I have noticed certain animals that looks like toad, just that their skin is akin to the sand there. Except you're observant, you won't notice.

there's also the band group. If you're trying to work your ppa while in camp, go close to the Ict guys. Be bold, speak to any of them

That was my mistake. If you want to relocate, do it while in camp. Don't let anyone deceive you.

Meet your platoon officer, how I wish someone told me this a month ago?

Joining the parade group won't give you an edge
It's just for show. If there's something you can use your time for, do it, I joined the parade group too
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 2:20pm On Apr 14, 2022
It was mad fun on the parade ground.Though it wasn't instrumental in giving a better ppa but then, the fun is there

There's a guy called Sokoto. I later became good friends with him, he promises me that whenever I come to Abuja, he'd book a standard hotel for me.

I saw something different in the man. He looks old but then, he has substance.

Some do feel Hausa are stupid and naive people, how wrong they were.

When sokoto March on the parade ground, it's always a bout of laughter. He might be going right when others are going left but I love his temerity, he wanted to learn. Despite the public jest dished to him by the soldier commanding us, he still shows up on the parade ground everytime

"Sola!"
He always called with a smile plastered on his face
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 3:23pm On Apr 14, 2022
There was a day I missed the parade. I went to the clinic just to collect Vitamin C.
It was few days to the parade competition.

" Sola, sokoto had a big dispute with a girl today"

Ahmed told me as I stepped into hostel 9. Immediately, I searched out sokoto. Saw him heading towards his bunk.

I left Ahmed, (A fellow platoon member) to meet sokoto. He was just as he is. I actually felt he is one reticent guy
When I met him, kastina was beside his bunk.
that was when the ordeal was relayed to me in full

A girl, let me call her Janet was to stand beside Sokoto during parade. she felt Sokoto would not align with others when they start to March and she refused to hold sokoto hand.

when we were being taught how to March slowly (Sloooow, March!), we had to lock hands with the person beside us. I think the reason for this is to make the line straight and a sense of oneness among fellow Corp members.

she was rude about it and this draw the attention of the whole platoon. It was nowondering obvious she want to make Sokoto the object of ridicule. In his anger, sokoto went all out on her via words, he wasn't too eloquent with English but when speaking Hausa, the atmosphere changed. You'd get the feeling that this is one big man in the North. Not just your regular northern guy.

As Sokoto demonstrated how he chided the lady, emotions of pride swelled within me. He had to explain some things in Hausa which Kastina helped me interprete.
I was proud of him. She got what she served

He was so eloquent while saying his mind in Hausa, you'd say this is a different man but when he uses English, he looks funny to watch. I like him

Life in camp isn't that sweet, I know you've seen tapes and shots of guys and girls in camp, well, most times, those pictures were taken during parade, carnival day or on the day all Corpers leave camp.

in Yikpata, they were very conservatI've, they don't need to spew it out but their disposition says it all. Hugging a girl will get you a flare talk more of a standing alone with her for hours.

It's like a CCTV is placed at your back watching your every move.
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 2:15pm On Apr 16, 2022
Despite this, maybe I was unlucky. Just cute physique after all, yea... I'm cute. I'd tell you this later

I did hear of guys having sex but it was just rumours, it was unbelievable to me. I mean, everywhere, there'should always people around.

You can be with someone and smooch a little... That's certain. Let me say, there was this movie night, I was on a bench outside with other Corp members.

There was this guy and Lady beside me that were rubbing themselves indiscriminately but out of everyone's view. While eyes of Corp members were fixed to the large screen, that guy was busy handling the ladies breast as she lay her head on his lap. ohhhh

Well, I took my eyes off.What concerns me? The Mammy Market which is a little section of the camp Is booming. People do say things are very expensive in the Mammy Market but that's not really true, you'd think the price of everything is over inflated with what you hear.. hmm; that's a lie.

I got my white short in the market for 1k, when I got to Mammy market, I saw a woman selling those and I asked her the price
Guess what she said?

1k.

Single Whites that we buy for 1500 is sold for 1650 naira. To me, that's fair enough. You charge your powerbank for 100 naira, that's the same amount I charge it outside camp.

The fruit salad sold for 400 naira is plenty, had its been it's a free market, they will sell it for 1k but right there, with takeaway box and spoon, everything for 400 naira

Even the suya is not expensive.

When I was in camp, the rubber boot I bought in the before coming to camp tightened my leg that my toes became sore.

I had two weeks left before leaving camp, I knew if I continue, I might just cut the toes off

So, I went to Mammy Market to buy another rubber shoe that fits, they sold it for 1300 while some sold theirs for 1500.

In camP, don't just take the price of expensive items as given, learn to haggle.

Well, I discovered there's a bakery In camp.I became a regular customer. Whenever I go to buy, the bread is always hot, I added akara to it, not as if I like the akara but it still hit different.

This make me remember, while coming to camp, I was told to buy padlocks for my echoloca bag, I've been a free person and don't like the stress that comes with closing of bags everytime

However, I still bought the locks, same with BNXN

When we got to camp, we always lock our bags but I got tired after the fourth day
Unknowing to me, BNXN already threw his away.

That was how it was till after camp, there was no case of stealing except one.

What people steal or borrow is BUCKET and SLIPPERS
I lost my two buckets, also lost my slippers.
Guys don't really care about such, those that were prim in keeping their belongings still had to leave it for the cleaners after camp.

don't tell me you'd carry your bags with a bucket to travel long distance? Haba! 96% of is left our bucket at that hostel. we had no use for it.

While coming, there was this guy we mentioned on the way, MuFU; he schooled in the North but a core Yoruba guy.

He was staying at the lower bunk of BNXN, he has a funny attitude.

anytime he wants to bath, he doesn't care whose bucket it is, he will carry it.

Especially if there's water in the bucket
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 6:16pm On Apr 20, 2022
He was notorious.

There was a day the Soldier blew their trumpet for parade, I don't know what happened but I had no water, I couldn't go out to fetch.

I saw MuFU, he was sweating and I knew that one day or another, he will get water.

The army in camp were not brute, not once did they lay their hand on us, they only make shouts and ask us to squat. I did lots of that while in camp, whenever I was woken and I feel groggy, the way I would be walking will force soldier to ask me to squat.

So, MuFU got half bucket of water from someone's bunk, took it to where ours are... he left to talk to someone

I stole that water. That was my first time moving someone water, I did it with the justification that since he stole it, then it's okay if I do the same

well, when he found his water missing, he didn't argue, most had gone for their parade, he went to steal another

He knew it was me, I had to fetch him another at night.
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 7:30pm On Apr 21, 2022
He had to. More like he was being compelled but then, I saw my friend on stage, Bare chested. Before going on stage, he specifically asked me to go over the details with him

I think they must have given them an overview of questions to be asked. it's much ooo

Thank God I never came out for Mr Macho

Wait! Did I say come out for mr Macho?

Smiles. if only wishes were horses. I have no biceps or triceps, no huge muscles...

Okay, I have flat Tommy. That's a respite

Well, competition such as Mr Finest, Mr Macho, most skillful or most talented, I can't go for those

I'd fail.

Going over those details with him made me know the nysc anthem. If not, hmmm

If I don't put my heart to something, I won't know it.

Well, just like a play unfolding, My friend won a prize.

I was happy, he is too. went out with his girlfriend Osas

Osas is a beautiful Benin girl , I like her too but not as much as my friend. He's really into her and the girl's into him. Well, I jealous he took my friend away.

There was a day I wasn't serving food, her platoon was on duty, seeing it's here, BNXN and I went to queue at her spot knowing we'd get double ration.

You won't believe it, when she saw it was BNXN, she filled his cooler but when she saw me, it's just as if she took my portion and gave BNXN. it was so small

I repaid her in kind. Trust me
If you're in camp and want to be in the kitchen, there's no award given but instantaneous benefiT

If you're not Wise, you'd overwork yourself too.
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Obatechnologies(m): 3:42am On Apr 22, 2022
Female Corp Member needed as an editor in Ilorin
0-8-0-6-8-8-6-2-1-6-4
Whatsapp or Call
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 9:42am On Apr 29, 2022
"Platoon X,we march in slow and quick time, slooow Match!" Our parade commander will bellow out in thunderous voice, how apt they were will make you fall in love with the military. " See this Dogo, you are just tall, you don't have sense" He'd refer to the tallest guy in our platoon.

Everyone would pause to laugh, it's so funny and heartbreaking

"Dogo, i will soon remove you from this parade. Lock your knees, in slow time, let your toes point forward, land on your toes not with your heels. It is in fast time you land with your heels. What's hard there? Watch me!"

He'd demonstrate for us. "Left, always start with your left leg and land with your right leg. As you hear RIGHT, let your leg touch the ground at the same time"

Indeed, that man was an instructor

"Why are you running! Why are you running?"
He'd tap someone's head, lambasting him or her in the process.

grin
I'd laugh where I am. "I'd ask Mutiu, "Why are you running"

The last Saturday was our carnival day

It's ubiquitous across all camp. All last saturday is for carnival. On carnival day, we are allowed to put on housewares, that's where you know some babes you see in white are beautiful

Well, I wasn't too prepared for it. I just know I've made my payment and my white top was taken, we were told they'd use the money for food and designing the cloth with tie and die.

On that Saturday, it was funfare. That's where i met omi yale.

Omi yale when translated to English means "water crosses to the house"
Smiles, I'm not good at interpreting.

Omiyale was a young pretty girl... hmmm...Let me just say it!
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 7:26pm On Apr 29, 2022
Well, we were given back our clothes the night before and i spoke to Ismaila, he told me not to worry, we'd slay the day as always.

On that bright morning, i was about moving out when i saw this pretty girl. I was startled. "Hi, what's the name"
"Omiyale" She said walking forward with smiles plastered on her face

I was already dressed so i quickened my step to match hers. I held her hands, she flinched at first but allowed me. We got speaking and i told her I'd give her another name
"Agbara ya shop" I spat out looking her face for any reaction.

Hearing it, she bursted into laugh and we took it from there. she was the only good thing that happened that day. My platoon food was very bad. I wonder how the state coordinator rated us 2nd or 3rd. Like, the rice were hatd as olumo rock, the meat was only parboiled.

Well, it was as if i was in IDP. I bet IDP eat better than that. If guys marry by food a girl can cook, none of our platoon girls that partook on cooking that day would have married.They'd all be a nun

What's hard in adding enough water to rice and letting it get fully cooked. It was as of they poured cold water on a raw rice and added ingredient, serving us.

It was so bad. Beneath that bad taste, i was with Omiyale.
I do believe she liked me too Coz she was with me throughout when she had the opportunity to go meet other guys.
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 7:34pm On Apr 29, 2022
By night, I was walking wuth her to her hostel, we passed mammy market, saw some guys smoking cigarette

" We would have gone to sit there, but i don't think you'd be comfortable with the scents of cigarette in the air" I chided in while her hands were strapped to mine

" I smoke oo"

Hearing that, my brain had to do a quick analysis. Omiyale was a beautiful girl, she studied abroad and the name of her school is pronounced in french. She looks young, so for those years she spent outside, she must have been an igbolabi

"Sola, are you there?" she nudge me from the side " You seem lost, is it because of what i said"

" No oo, its okay" I quickly reassembled mu thought. " I was just thinking about something"

"Let's just go to my hostel"

Now, I'm not allowed to step into girl's dorm.It's foolish trying to anyway.

Well, this confession made me like her the more.

She was free with me, not trying to form holy holy.

That's someone i can work with
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 8:33pm On May 10, 2022
It all ended in tears. After two days, I felt I should show care - let me buy her something. Got a gift, not really much of a gift but these edibles and on my way to deliver it, I saw her smiling and laughing with another guy.

I stood in the shadow, called her phone number

Saw her raise her heads up, maybe searching if i was around. I did tell you our hostels are just opposite. She didnt pick the call and well

A good turn of mine doesn't deserve another. I took my gift back, gave it to Ismaila and those in my bunk, they all shared it amongst themselves laughing over the matter.

I have made lots of friends now; girls thats giving me red flag, I jettisoned. I felt betrayed, maybe I'm such a lover boy but when I look into the mirror, the person standing in front of me knows best. I'm no angel
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 8:52pm On May 10, 2022
What made me not ro give her the gift wasn't the guy she was talking to but not picking my calls.

That same night, she gave me a call and said she saw my miss call. Told her I came with a gift and saw her talking and smiling with another guy

She went silent
" Where's the gift now?"
"I ate it already " I lied

"Hmmm, I muust collect it tomorrow or you buy me another one"

Wait! Where did she gain that brazen attitude from?
She did tell me we both can't work and she's not sure we will ever cross path. I took the bitter pill but them, there's a whole lots of girls in camp that wanted me.

Isn't it funny that the one we like ares mostly those who don't like us back?

We finished the parade with a spoon. Well, we took no prize home. Such shame. I still enjoyed how it felt then

Then came the 21st day in camp. It was well, A SHOCKER
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 11:29am On Jun 23, 2022
Last day in camp, jubilation was plenty. We had so many fun. It was the third day of fasting but my guys were all agog, some faction said it's right for s muslim to eat wheb embarking on a long journey during fasting.

Another said irrespective of what happenn, fasting overrule.
That morning, I went for a plate of beans and bread. I literally don't know what next. Todsy is the day I will knlw where I get posted to.

I was hoping it's Ilorin.

When I was coming, I saw the airport, I contemplated within me, how nive it wouod be to serve here.

The place wasn't that urban but it's still an international airport.

Atleast, I will be closer to a dream of mine.

After the early morning drill were we packed our bags and lined up, it was so strenuos. One by one, we were given a small list, our beds were in our hands as they tick the list and collect the beds.

Before all halls could gather at hostel 9, an excercise that started by 2am ended around 6am.

That's 4 hours outside, looking and asking yourself, today I leave Yikpata. I was there
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 12:40am On Jun 25, 2022
Right now, I can remember back then. Took lovely pictures, its the final day for me. I hope I get posted to Ilorin, well, I will get to enjoy the luxury of stayinh somewhere far from Lagos and the good thing is they speak Yoruba.There won't be a barrier

After all ceremony, we were asked to gather around our platoon officers. Our letter of PPA is being shared.

I got there, saying to myself, oh God! It should be Ilorin west. Some were so sure of where they would be posted to. Bajuran is willing to tell every ear that's keen to hear
I can't stay in Ilorin. my relocation is sure.

On that day, those who were not called to receive their letter were adjudged to get relocated and so, no need of posting them

While in camp, I do laugh at people that do take om different sickness just to get a pass or to get relocated

Only one individual - Ulcer, heart problem, kidney problem and a bit of spiritual problem

Well, I did nothing, not even to fill a relocation form. I was just hoping. I like travellng, experience new things, well, this is a platform.

My name was finally called and my PPA letter was handed to me. Lo and behold, I was posted to Edu lg.

My spirit got quiet, I was downcasted. Disappointed. Yikpata is in EDU local government and a 2 hours drive from Maraba

Being in Edu means that I'm still within the vicinity of Yikpata.

It was a shocker to me

As I later learnt, Yikpata was fairer to where I was posted to.

A small village in kokodo, lafiagi

1 Like

Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 3:33pm On Jun 26, 2022
On that day, I went to a solemn place, sat down. Some were posted ro Baruten, we jeard it was farther than esu and like 14 hours drive.

Baran that said he would relocate got posted there. On the last day, everyone is mandated to leave camp.

After people were calling out to me, I kept on shying away from their call. I was just stranded. Then, I left where I was sitting, I saw different buses, Well, I saw one that was going to Lafiagi Local government

I didn't bother greeting my friends, I just boarded the bus. I heard kokodo is a NUPE town/village.

The bus was sent by the LG and we don't have to pay.

Inside the bus, after spending like an hour seeing just bushes, a girl burst out crying.

Tears were flowing endlessly, some went over to pet her. Some guys just kept their head.
I was sitting there with comfort.

Well, I don't even know what to expect
Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by Jackossky(m): 11:23pm On Jul 09, 2022
I got to the local government and first had to pay some money, i noticed when we were coming into the Local government, I couldn't find a local cafe nearby, well
It was all good till we documented and gor introduced to the CLO

People were asking questions, how is this place? On our way, i saw a college of education not too far from the LG, i felt I can discuss with the LGI to teach or intern at the college.

"Before anything, Learn to love this place. People here are nice, I'm a Yoruba myself but it is what it is,congratulations to everyone posted here, you will enjoy your stay" The LGI said,in his welcoming speech as he tucked gis two hands into his pocket"

"Respect me and I will reciprocate, play with me and I can make here a living hell"

I sat there in the hall asking myself,Is this it?
There's a good side to it,a platoon friend that we never talked was among us, I felt since we will be together for a year, It's netter we start getting cozy.

Skips this part

Now,almost everyone has been taken to their respective PPA by their principals leaving just me and a few others.

I wad posted to kokodo and it seems my principal is not coming. Calls were made but it wasn't going through.

"Wow, Guess I will have to deal with network issues" I said to myself

There was another guy,an easterner, let me call him kelvin. He was posted to the same place as me.
He was also feeling downtrodden and he looked muscular and eyes like someone that has seen the good and ugly part of the world.

"Omo, we go ghost this place oo" Kelvin muttered, facing me

"Hmm, atleast, let's see how the place is before thinking of ghosting"

"Ha! This place too far, I no dey come here oo"

We were engrossed in this discussion when the assistant LGI opined we take a bike to the place and we will get reimbursed when we get there.

I thought we will be spending like 300 or so since we're two but then,almost all the drivers said they were not going there.

We later found one with the help of the assistant LGI who reluctantly agreed to take us there.

" My money na 5000 naira"
Yeee!!! I was more than perplexed. How much is Yikpata to Lafiagi, then, how dare he say he will carry us for 5k?

We begged him and later agreed to 3k. Omo, I was just having 2k left with me.
Since we are two,we split the bill.

Ladies and gentlemen, my journey from lafiagi to kokodo was a life experience.

We passed through hills, streams, there are times the rider will ask us to alight so he can push the bike to a more steady ground.

I was scared, i was surprised, I was wowed.

We fell two times from the bike due to the slope.

I believe that's where I lost my phone. We moved for hours without sighting an individual.

Have you ever be sunkissed before? That day, I knew literally what it means to be kissed by the sun.

I saw streams and atimes, herders. Not really a pack, Just one man with many cows herding them towards green land.

Where we passed, most of the leaves were dark brown. They dried. It's like a forest in a desert where all the plants are in dire lack of water.

Just shrubs.

It got to a point...

"Oga, abeg wait, I wan piss"
As I was about to do my thing, What I heard was

"No, No No, don't ease yourself there. Let me bring a container so you can piss in it, I'm willing to buy it so I can drink"

When I heard that from the bikeman, the urine stopped. I lost the will to continue

"Oga,wetin you talk"

"Laughs, I'm just joking"

I finally pissed with my heart beating. As the urine was touching the dry ground,it dried up instantly.

I saw many things. A place civilization is yet to touch. I saw a narrow stream, I asked of people go there to bath.

" Yes, people do come there to bath in the night but not in the afternoon. In the afternoon, that water you're seeing can boil a human being"

"When rain fall for this place last"

"E don tay oo, maybe last year or so"

Spin off
Have you ever thought rain is a blessing, I saw a place that has had no rain for the past one year. It's really a desolate and dry place.

Finally, I saw an express. Civilization at last.

Author's Note
I will be ending my NYSC journey here. That's it guys, I hope you enjoyed the read. Oh! I'm serving in Lagos now, left kwara. One day, I might visit that place.

I also love the fact I'm in lagos. The people of Edu are nice just like my LGI said, they gave us food, accommodation and promised us salary aside the one being given by NYSC. I think 2k or so, I know you will say it's small but in tjat locality, it's big. Suya 100 naira is like 500 naira Suya so you won't be spending much.

In Lagos here, I'm having an industry knowledge and grateful for this experience. It's something I couldn't have achieved if I decided to stay in kokodo.
Where I am put me on my toes. I keep on learning and this is just a leaflet on seeing more than my sights can.

My name is Sola and I'm glad I savoured the 3 weeks NYSC experience.

1 Like

Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by oyigah(m): 1:20pm On Jul 10, 2022
Good job sola... I literally felt like I was with you through out the NYSC experience..

1 Like

Re: Sojourn To Yikpata (lost In Kwara) by easyhacq(m): 10:32pm On Jul 10, 2022
Nice reading this

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nysc Camp Commandant In Kebbi State / 5 Things To Do During Your NYSC Service Year / How Do I Get My Medical Fees Refunded By NYSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.