Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:47 PM

Solicitor Is Ordered To Pay £45,000 After He Told Paralegal "I Like What I See" - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Solicitor Is Ordered To Pay £45,000 After He Told Paralegal "I Like What I See" (628 Views)

It Is Not By Force/i Don't Like What Just Happened. / They Come To Me Coz They Like What I Do To Them! / Cheating Woman Ordered To Repay Ex-boyfriend’s Gifts Worth £116,000 (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solicitor Is Ordered To Pay £45,000 After He Told Paralegal "I Like What I See" by DontBullshitMe: 6:57pm On Mar 17, 2022
Senior solicitor is ordered to pay £45,000 after he told paralegal 'mmm, I like what I see' when she arrived for an interview and told her to 'only wear skirts and high heels to work'

* Solicitor Victor Nwosu, 48, interviewed a young woman for a role as a paralegal

*He subjected her to repeated sexualised comments and told her to wear skirts

*The first-class honours graduate rejected the job at DCK Solicitors in London

*The Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal has ordered him to pay out nearly £45,000

A law firm boss has been ordered to pay out nearly £45,000 by a tribunal after sexually objectifying a young paralegal seeking her first job by making demeaning comments about her appearance.

Solicitor Victor Nwosu, 48, told the young woman, 'Mmm, I like what I see' and told her to 'only wear skirts and high heels', a disciplinary hearing was told.

Nwosu interviewed the 22-year-old for a position at London-based DCK Solicitors in April 2018.

She described how he told her 'you're very pretty' and 'I only employ beautiful women' among other unwanted compliments, before quizzing her over whether she had a boyfriend or a brother.

Now, the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal has fined him £20,000 for his conduct and ordered him to pay additional costs of £23,550.

At the tribunal, Nwosu claimed 'female activism' was the problem and insisted he was the victim.

The young woman, who has a first class degree and a masters, said she was the first woman in her family to go to university and sobbed after the 'traumatic' interview.

'I felt like a piece of meat', she said, adding that she rejected his job offer and reported him to regulators the next day to prevent other women being put in a similar position.

The tribunal found that Nwosu, a solicitor of 17 years' standing, was 'sexually motivated' in his behaviour towards the woman, named only as Person A, when he interviewed her.

The woman said Nwosu arrived 20 minutes late for the interview and quickly began making inappropriate comments to her.

She said that she was so 'horrified' that when he briefly left the room, she messaged her friends and boyfriend, saying 'I don't know if I want to work here' adding that she felt 'scared'.

In messages to friends, she wrote: 'He said that I was very, very beautiful. He told me that I have to wear skirts when I come into work, he doesn't like it when women wear trousers.

'He was undressing me with his eyes and he kept leaning forward and I'd lean back. I felt like an object. I felt so small. God I'm actually crying.

'The owner of the firm is disgusting.'

She described how she was wearing smart trousers, professional short heels, a white shirt and a black blazer.

'I felt like my attire was appropriate for the interview,' she said. 'But Mr Nwosu told me he hated trousers and that he expected me to wear a skirt the next day.'

Nwosu offered the woman a role which she turned down, telling him: 'This is in no small part due to the unprofessional conduct displayed throughout the interview which led to me feeling uncomfortable.'

The young woman said: 'The interview was quite traumatic for me, it was the first paralegal role that I had ever applied for

'I felt so violated as he was in a position of power as I was in an interview... I went home and cried.'

Nwosu, who said he is 'happily married with teenage children', denied all of the allegations and insisted Person A’s motive was related to the salary he offered her and the allegations were 'brought about by malice'.

He told the hearing: 'She has the power, her female activism, it's female activism gone wrong, she has the power, that's why I am here [because] she's applied overt activism [and] I am the victim.

'She's embarrassed me and brought me here, she has the power.'

Nwosu said he always had 'four to six women working for him' and added: 'I'm a very humble person, I hoover my own carpet in front of [the] staff.

'You want to put the words of Person A over the words of a solicitor of the Supreme Court, trained, qualified for 15 years, [who] employs six staff?

'For you to insinuate this is very rude and upsetting. Person A is not someone you can believe.'

The tribunal panel said they were 'deeply concerned' by Nwosu.

In their judgment, they stated: 'Referring to Person's physical appearance in terms of "pretty", "beautiful" and "mmm, I like what I see" could only, in the Tribunal's view, be considered to have sexual connotations.

'Asserting that women should wear "skirts and heels" were opinions which, in the Tribunal's view, could only be held for sexual gratification.

'Enquiring as to Person A's personal relationships with regards to a boyfriend and whether she had brothers was designed to ascertain the viability or otherwise of a future sexual relationship.'

The panel also said Nwosu's company's memo on work clothing 'revealed outdated attitudinal shortcomings predicated on the objectification of women in a sexual manner'.

SOURCE :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10619699/Senior-solicitor-ordered-pay-45-000-told-paralegal-mmm-like-see.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK&s=08

Re: Solicitor Is Ordered To Pay £45,000 After He Told Paralegal "I Like What I See" by dhameelare(m): 7:00pm On Mar 17, 2022
As a man always watch what u say and how u behave in front of people, cos anything u say can be used against u in d court of law

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solicitor Is Ordered To Pay £45,000 After He Told Paralegal "I Like What I See" by youngreezy(m): 7:03pm On Mar 17, 2022
Omor na to turn woman den go yankee sure pass oooo,any slight jonsing from the opposite sex na means to cash out.......if na the girl tell the man say "I like what I see",your guess is as good as mine, nothing and absolutely nothing will happen......even bobrisky turn woman begin cash out....wetin man do man abeg

1 Like

Re: Solicitor Is Ordered To Pay £45,000 After He Told Paralegal "I Like What I See" by DontBullshitMe: 7:04pm On Mar 17, 2022
Martinez39s

Ubunja

CAPSLOCKED

Skepticus

You see what Western countries are turning into? Men are fast becoming endangered when an innocent compliment can now be misinterpreted into sexual harassment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solicitor Is Ordered To Pay £45,000 After He Told Paralegal "I Like What I See" by Double0h7(f): 7:09pm On Mar 17, 2022
DCK oh the irony grin grin grin
Re: Solicitor Is Ordered To Pay £45,000 After He Told Paralegal "I Like What I See" by Double0h7(f): 7:12pm On Mar 17, 2022
DontBullshitMe:
Martin.ez39s

Ub.unja

CAPS.LOCKED

You see what Western countries are turning into? Men are fast becoming endangered when an innocent compliment can now be misinterpreted into sexual harassment.

Perverted comments are not innocent compliments. Keep your compliments for your lovers and respect other people accordingly. Nobody wants your compliments so is it by force?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solicitor Is Ordered To Pay £45,000 After He Told Paralegal "I Like What I See" by Queenttoast01: 7:13pm On Mar 17, 2022
When will we have this kind of justice in Nigeria too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solicitor Is Ordered To Pay £45,000 After He Told Paralegal "I Like What I See" by DontBullshitMe: 7:13pm On Mar 17, 2022
dhameelare:
As a man always watch what u say and how u behave in front of people, cos anything u say can be used against u in d court of law
I feel your point sir but honestly I don't think this man has done anything outside the confines of the law.

First, he said "he liked what he saw". I don't think that expression should in any way constitute a form of sexual harassment. Is it a sin to now admire and commend a beautiful person? Second, the part of him saying he only employs beautiful women and ladies is a freedom he is rightly entitled to as a business owner. If you want to employ ugly persons, start your own business.

These numerous complaints by women in a highly competitive work space dominated by men can only do one thing : limit their growth.

Anyway, let's wait and see.

2 Likes

Re: Solicitor Is Ordered To Pay £45,000 After He Told Paralegal "I Like What I See" by ubunja(m): 7:19pm On Mar 17, 2022
DontBullshitMe:
Martinez39s

Ubunja

CAPSLOCKED

Skepticus

we've been predicting this for ages. It will get worse man. One day to even look at a woman will be considered harassment I tell you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solicitor Is Ordered To Pay £45,000 After He Told Paralegal "I Like What I See" by Nobody: 7:42pm On Mar 17, 2022
WTF shocked
Re: Solicitor Is Ordered To Pay £45,000 After He Told Paralegal "I Like What I See" by 2buffagain(m): 9:33pm On Mar 17, 2022
Good.

This baboon left Nigeria and thought he would not refine himself before going to jand.
You don't do that out here.
You treat other peoples' sisters/aunties/daughters i.e women with respect.

(1) (Reply)

How I Made My Boss Fall In Love With Me� / . / How To Attract The Right Girl(seduction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.