Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,825 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

All About Transcription - Certification And Training Adverts - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Certification And Training Adverts / All About Transcription (1697 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 10:00pm On Mar 18, 2022
Transcription is the task of converting a video or an audio file into a written or text document.

Transcriptionist or a Transcriber
He/She listens to the audio recording/video recordings and types the dictation, usually on a word document.

Types of Transcription
Medical
Legal
General

Most people prefer GENERAL TRANSCRIPTION because it doesn't specialize in a particular subject.
It is easy and faster to learnand inexpensive.
You don't have to learn Medical and legal terminologies.
It Doesn't require reading lengthy courses.

Required Skills for Transcription
Typing skills
Listening skills
Researching( use Google for terms, names, places, and Jargon you have never heard before).
Microsoft word
Audio/Video player

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About Transcription by Ammishaddai: 10:04pm On Mar 18, 2022
Nice . Are you into this ? If yes, what platform pays well besides Scribie and TranscribeMe?
Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 10:05pm On Mar 18, 2022
Things to note about Transcription
We have
CLEAN VERBATIM
FULL VERBATIM.
Always ask the client if he wants full verbatim or clean verbatim. Some Clients specify, while some don't. So you need to ask.

CLEAN VERBATIM
It is clean, clear and readable.
It does not include:
False starts
Verbaltics/Filler words
Stutters.

False starts
The speaker says one thing and then goes back and changes what he was saying.
Example:
I do have... I want to buy biscuits for my son.

Verbaltics/Filler words
Words that are apparently meaningless. They mark a pause or hesitation.
Example
you know
um
uh
kind of
Example:
The process is um, it's still in it's, uh, you know, infancy.

FULL VERBATIM
You have to include everything the speaker says. Even if he coughs, laughs. Just put it in bracket.
It includes:
False starts
Verbaltics/Filler words
Stutters.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 10:08pm On Mar 18, 2022
Ammishaddai:
Nice . Are you into this ? If yes, what platform pays well besides Scribie and TranscribeMe?
Have you tried Humanitic and Gotranscript?
Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 10:13pm On Mar 18, 2022
Things you need to get started in Transcription.
1.) Otter Software
2.) VLC media placer
3.) Audio player
4.) Grammarly premium account
5.) Microsoft word

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All About Transcription by Ammishaddai: 10:18pm On Mar 18, 2022
Cindymax8:

Have you tried Humanitic and Gotranscript?
I heard job availability on Gotranscript is poor . But I've never tried Humantic
Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 10:27pm On Mar 18, 2022
Otter Software

To make transcribing easier and faster, otter software is recommended.
Otter is a software that transcribes the audio files to written document automatically but it is not 100% correct. So you have to have go through it and correct some mistakes manually.
Otter only makes the job easier for you. Instead of writing everything out one by one, you can use the software while you make corrections.
You need to upgrade to Otter Pro to enjoy it.
It's is 5,020 monthly and 36,000 yearly.
When you download Otter, you will get 600minutes free so you can start with that.

Below is a sample of a tutorial I did on Otter. I recorded a voice note and uploaded it on Otter to transcribe automatically.
Can you spot the mistakes? That's why I said Otter is not 100% accurate. It only makes the job easier.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About Transcription by nahzyla: 7:48am On Mar 19, 2022
Thanks Op. So what are the best sites for working as Transcriber?
Re: All About Transcription by Promzwealth: 8:58am On Mar 19, 2022
Following dear
Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 9:17am On Mar 19, 2022
VLC media player
When video files are sent, you can use VLC to watch the videos.

Audio player
I recommend AIMP because it has some functions other players don't have.
If you are working and you want to rewind and you want it to be accurate, you can use this. For example you can set it to 02:50 or any minute and seconds you want automatically. You don't have to start doing that manually.
You can also reduce the speed to 0.50 or less. This feature is useful for audio files that have bad in intonation or the speaker is talking too fast. You can reduce the speed to grab everything the speaker is saying.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 9:21am On Mar 19, 2022
You can also use AIMP player to reduce speed.
This is very important for some audio files from countries like Pakistan, Indians. Their English is very bad.

1 Like

Re: All About Transcription by kimoyo: 10:51am On Mar 19, 2022
Thanks for taking out time to share.
Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 8:32pm On Mar 20, 2022
N

Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 8:34pm On Mar 20, 2022
Grammarly Premium account
This is for
1.) People like me who can't speak or write professional English. I don't know anything about punctuation. I was a Science student in school so grammar is not my field.

2.) Grammarly premium account is very good for Clean Verbatim. It makes your work easier by giving you suggestions on how to arrange your Grammar and Punctuation.
After using otter and getting the raw transcript, use AIMP player to manually cross check for errors. Then use Grammarly for grammar correction and puntuations.
If you are using a phone, it is advisable to change to desktop mode on your chrome browser.
Visit Grammarly.com on your chrome browser and login to your account.

Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 8:37pm On Mar 20, 2022
If you check the previous post, you will see that Grammarly is already giving me a lot of suggestions; correcting my grammar and telling me where to add some punctuations. So that's the work of Grammarly.
Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 8:41pm On Mar 20, 2022
Microsoft Word

You have to save the transcript in Microsoft word format to send it to your Client.
We all know the work of Msword.
Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 8:44pm On Mar 20, 2022
This is just a Summary of Transcription. To learn more, you need to watch Youtube videos. There are a lot of educative videos on YouTube. Transcription is not easy but with persistence and determination, you will find it easy. Don't forget to get a good headphone and a quiet environment to avoid distractions.
Questions can come in now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About Transcription by folake4u(f): 9:29pm On Mar 20, 2022
Cindymax8:
This is just a Summary of Transcription. To learn more, you need to watch Youtube videos. There are a lot of educative videos on YouTube. Transcription is not easy but with persistence and determination, you will find it easy. Don't forget to get a good headphone and a quiet environment to avoid distractions.
Questions can come in now.

Thank you very much for this detailed post.

I've only done a transcription job once and it was Clean Verbatim. Although I didn't use all those apps but it took me two full days to do it, as per manually (playing and writing, like that).
But thank you for recommending those apps.

My question is, if someone wants to begin a career in Transcription or rather take it as a side hustle (whether General or Legal Transcription), what sites would you recommend for a beginner to get jobs.

Thank you. smiley

1 Like

Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 9:50pm On Mar 20, 2022
folake4u:

Thank you very much for this detailed post.

I've only done a transcription job once and it was Clean Verbatim. Although I didn't use all those apps but it took me two full days to do it, as per manually (playing and writing, like that).
But thank you for recommending those apps.

My question is, if someone wants to begin a career in Transcription or rather take it as a side hustle (whether General or Legal Transcription), what sites would you recommend for a beginner to get jobs.

Thank you. smiley
Qa-world
Transcribe Me
Scribe
GoTranscript
You can also check out Humanitic.
The only issue with some of this sites is that a lot of people are there so the competition for jobs is very high.
You might also try to register and get a "not recruiting at the moment" response.
There are others that require VPN because they don't accept Nigerians like
Rev
Audiobee

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All About Transcription by folake4u(f): 9:54pm On Mar 20, 2022
Cindymax8:

Qa-world
Transcribe Me
Scribe
GoTranscript
You can also check out Humanitic.
The only issue with some of this sites is that a lot of people are there so the competition for jobs is very high.
You might also try to register and get a "not recruiting at the moment" response.
There are others that require VPN because they don't accept Nigerians like
Rev
Audiobee

Thank you again Ma for the prompt response.
Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 9:54pm On Mar 20, 2022
This is Rev. They pay well. I have someone who used VPN on the site but I didn't work for Rev.

1 Like

Re: All About Transcription by Transcriber: 1:22am On Mar 21, 2022
nahzyla:
Thanks Op. So what are the best sites for working as Transcriber?
angry
Re: All About Transcription by nahzyla: 7:43pm On Mar 22, 2022
Transcriber:
angry

What sites do you use for transcription work Mr Transcriber?
Re: All About Transcription by ebenezer880(m): 11:42pm On Mar 22, 2022
Cindymax8:
Transcription is the task of converting a video or an audio file into a written or text document.

Transcriptionist or a Transcriber
He/She listens to the audio recording/video recordings and types the dictation, usually on a word document.

Types of Transcription
Medical
Legal
General

Most people prefer GENERAL TRANSCRIPTION because it doesn't specialize in a particular subject.
It is easy and faster to learnand inexpensive.
You don't have to learn Medical and legal terminologies.
It Doesn't require reading lengthy courses.

Required Skills for Transcription
Typing skills
Listening skills
Researching( use Google for terms, names, places, and Jargon you have never heard before).
Microsoft word
Audio/Video player

Thank you I'm sincerely grateful.... At least I can get busy amidst this STRIKE.... Sincerely grateful been thinking of what I can get doing
Re: All About Transcription by wizzynuru: 5:05pm On Mar 23, 2022
Cindymax8:

I don't use Humanitic.
The sites I used before are QA-word and Scribie. I work directly with Clients now. Those sites are middlemen.

How do you get clients directly biko?
Re: All About Transcription by Transcriber: 7:35pm On Mar 23, 2022
nahzyla:

What sites do you use for transcription work Mr Transcriber?
my brain and my hands smiley
I am a translator, transcriber and interpreter of 6 languages wink smiley

1 Like

Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 8:46am On Mar 24, 2022
wizzynuru:

How do you get clients directly biko?
Through referral
From my mentor.
LinkedIn
From nairaland Jobs/vacancies section and Career section. Transcription jobs are usually advertised there.
You can also get if you are in a closed group of transcribers. When they have a lot of work, they outsource especially bulk projects.
For example, someone got a huge project from a popular TV station so he had to outsource to his click members.
Hope you understand.
If you are good, your clients will keep coming back and they will refer you to others.
So you don't need to start going from one site to another.
Though I started from Qa-world as a beginner.

2 Likes

Re: All About Transcription by Cindymax8(f): 8:52am On Mar 24, 2022
There is also a thread in the jobs/vacancies section about Transcribing on Qa-word. Transcription jobs are advertised there too.
Re: All About Transcription by wizzynuru: 9:45am On Mar 24, 2022
Cindymax8:

Through referral
From my mentor.
LinkedIn
From nairaland Jobs/vacancies section and Career section. Transcription jobs are usually advertised there.
You can also get if you are in a closed group of transcribers. When they have a lot of work, they outsource especially bulk projects.
For example, someone got a huge project from a popular TV station so he had to outsource to his click members.
Hope you understand.
If you are good, your clients will keep coming back and they will refer you to others.
So you don't need to start going from one site to another.
Though I started from Qa-world as a beginner.
Thank you for this. I started with QA too but the pay now ehn.

1 Like

Re: All About Transcription by Transcriber: 10:46pm On Mar 28, 2022
Paulotl or is it pauloti

(1) (2) (Reply)

Structural Steel Design For Oil And Gas Industry / Telecoms Engineer / Vb 6.0 Made Easy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.