Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,915 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

Harrowing Experience Of A Nigerian Maid: - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Harrowing Experience Of A Nigerian Maid: (859 Views)

My Harrowing Experience At Ikoyi Passport Office / Maid Serving The Husband: Right Or Wrong? / How Do You Treat Your Maid? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Harrowing Experience Of A Nigerian Maid: by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 01, 2011
The extraordinary ordeal suffered by the girl, known in court as 'Y', emerged during a hearing to decide whether she should have been entitled to benefits and support when she finally escaped her life of slavery.
*Names have been changed

A life of servitude: The girl couldn't remember what her parents looked like
I was born in Nigeria. I don’t know where – I can’t remember and nobody told me. I can’t remember anything about life in Nigeria. I don’t know who my parents are or whether I have any brothers or sisters. No one has ever told me about my family. I only know my date of birth because I found it written down in the house where I grew up in England.
The first things I remember all happened in the United Kingdom. I lived with a family in London. The family was made up of a woman, her husband, their daughter and their son. There was also a boy who I believe was a cousin of the mother. He didn’t live with us the whole time, but he did live in the family for long periods of time.
When I was little I called the adults mum and dad and thought I was their child, but they treated me differently to their daughter and from the brother when he was born. They went to school, but I wasn’t allowed. They smacked me and beat me but they didn’t do the same to the other children. I had to do work around the house which the other children didn’t. I couldn’t ask them why they treated me differently, in my culture it’s rude to question adults and you just have to accept what they say.
Nobody explained to me why I was treated differently. Nobody came out and told me that I wasn’t their child. When I was a little girl they made it very clear that I was different from their family, but I didn’t really understand why as this was the only life I could remember.
The first memories I have from living with the family are the mother staying at home with me during the daytime. She was a big woman, huge, I was terrified of her. I think I was five years old when I started living with them because I remember the daughter going to school and we were roughly the same age.
I didn’t ask why she went to school and I didn’t because it was not the sort of house where a little girl could ask questions. I had to do what I was told or I would be beaten. The other children had toys and books of their own but I didn’t have any. I was allowed to read their books, and I could play with other children’s toys when I had the time, but I had no toys and books of my own.

'THE BABY AND I FORMED A BOND'

I had to stay at home most of the time, whether or not the rest of the family were there. Although the mother was at home when I first lived there, not long afterwards she started going back to work and I would be left at home in the house. I think I was about six or seven when the brother was born. I remember when he was old enough to sit up by himself or crawl. The mother went back to work and left the baby at home with me. I had to look after him all day.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010243/Human-trafficking-Girl-brought-UK-aged-5-kept-slave-decade-beaten.html#ixzz1QrV86xvh

(1) (Reply)

out! / Nigerian Men Regretting Getting Married To Nigerian Women In The United States / Wedding Pictures Of A Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.