Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:32 AM

My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short (26930 Views)

Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. / Rejected For A Job Because I Was Too Short. / Meet Job Hunter Who Got 30 Interviews But Was Rejected Because Of His Neck Tatto (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by Tripitaka: 10:39am On Mar 19, 2022
https://www.nairaland.com/7033680/rejected-job-because-too-short

Some days ago I read with amazement the takes of some persons on the attached thread.

So this lady was rejected by the recruiter for being "short". Perhaps the story is untrue just as many like it on Twitter, but I'm reacting on the premise that it's true (even though most likely greatly embellished).

Firstly, its crass and unprofessional for a recruiter to voice such words whether directly or indirectly, but sentiments is a huge part of decision making. Heck, most of y'all were never called back by the HR for the same reason as the complainant; only difference is that you weren't expressly told that you're short, fat, have terrible dentition, have bent legs or look too tacky and malnourished. Do you recall attending that interview where you believed you smashed it and impressed the recruiters, but never heard from them again? That could be it.

In certain businesses especially the hospitality sector, looks is a big deal. Have you seen airhosts? Have you see the attendants and receptionists at top range hotels? If all things are roughly equal among applicants, recruiter will tend to favor those who look more polished and are attractive.

The word “attractive” doesn’t just mean people want to have sex with them, it means people enjoy being around them more. It’s a reality, harsh as it may be. Businesses that appeal to the public work hard to make everything about the customer experience attractive….nice furniture and pretty pictures on the wall in a restaurant, attractive interiors, buildings or landscapes in the background of movies, and so on. It shouldn’t be surprising at all that they prefer attractive employees in customer facing positions.

This is natural.

Also, as a business owner, why will I employ a short first class receptionist when I can employ a tall first class receptionist? Wheres the wisdom? Beauty and intelligence are not mutually exclusive which means that one can have both. If as an HR, I have 100s of applicant for a single opening, does this not give me the privilege to pick "the best"?

Most of yall trying to be politically correct on the other thread certainly wont employ dwarfs in your organisation irrespective of qualifications. Image is super important especially in customer-facing positions and you're automatically a brand ambassador. Funnily enough, a lot of women only hang out with their beautiful friends while they call the average ones when they need relationship advise (I've had a couple of persons admit to this).

Some even ignorantly cursed out the country. Have you wondered why even some foreign orgs require you to attach a passport photograph or make a short video of yourself? That's right, they want to see what you look like. Even the military wont employ you if you're not up to a certain height or with a proper BMI.

That's why I always say that if you're goodlooking and well poised, then consider yourself as already having a fair headstart in life. Do not let anyone deceive you, beauty avails you a lot of privileges, but it's not just beauty.

Mods please help push to frontpage

173 Likes 17 Shares

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by Gentlerespect76: 10:46am On Mar 19, 2022
Tripitaka:
https://www.nairaland.com/7033680/rejected-job-because-too-short

Some days ago I read with amazement the takes of some persons on the attached thread.

So this lady was rejected by the recruiter for being "short". Perhaps the story is untrue just as many like it on Twitter, but I'm reacting on the premise that it's true (even though most likely greatly embellished).

Firstly, its crass and unprofessional for a recruiter to voice such words whether directly or indirectly, but sentiments is a huge part of decision making. Heck, most of y'all were never called back by the HR for the same reason as the complainant; only difference is that you weren't expressly told that you're short, fat, have terrible dentition, have bent legs or look too tacky and malnourished. Do you recall attending that interview where you believed you smashed it and impressed the recruiters, but never heard from them again? That could be it.

In certain businesses especially the hospitality sector, looks is a big deal. Have you seen airhosts? Have you see the attendants and receptionists at top range hotels? If all things are roughly equal among applicants, recruiter will tend to favor those who look more polished and are attractive.

The word “attractive” doesn’t just mean people want to have sex with them, it means people enjoy being around them more. It’s a reality, harsh as it may be. Businesses that appeal to the public work hard to make everything about the customer experience attractive….nice furniture and pretty pictures on the wall in a restaurant, attractive interiors, buildings or landscapes in the background of movies, and so on. It shouldn’t be surprising at all that they prefer attractive employees in customer facing positions.

This is natural.

Also, as a business owner, why will I employ a short first class receptionist when I can employ a tall first class receptionist? Wheres the wisdom? Beauty and intelligence are not mutually exclusive which means that one can have both. If as an HR, I have 100s of applicant for a single opening, does this not give me the privilege to pick "the best"?

Most of yall trying to be politically correct on the other thread certainly wont employ dwarfs in your organisation irrespective of qualifications. Image is super important especially in customer-facing positions and you're automatically a brand ambassador. Funnily enough, a lot of women only hang out with their beautiful friends while they call the average ones when they need relationship advise (I've had a couple of persons admit to this).

Some even ignorantly cursed out the country. Have you wondered why even some foreign orgs require you to attach a passport photograph or make a short video of yourself? That's right, they want to see what you look like. Even the military wont employ you if you're not up to a certain height or with a proper BMI.

That's why I always say that if you're goodlooking and well poised, then consider yourself as already having a fair headstart in life. Do not let anyone deceive you, beauty avails you a lot of privileges, but it's not just beauty.

Mods please help push to frontpage

The recruiter did not err in not employing her, because the business is his. However, in mentioning that she was not hired because she is a short lady is where the company crossed the redline. Unlike in the military where certain heights are a necessity, this requirement was not mentioned ab initio, thereby distraughting the young woman. God will give her a better job eventually.

108 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by Tripitaka: 10:54am On Mar 19, 2022
Gentlerespect76:

The recruiter did not err in not employing her, because the business is his. However, in mentioning that she was not hired because she is a short lady is where the company crossed the redline. Unlike in the military where certain heights are a necessity, this requirement was not mentioned ab initio, thereby distraughting the young woman. God will give her a better job eventually.

Exactly my point too. Its unprofessional for the recruiter to voice such sentiment. But then it's his prerogative to employ using any yardstick he may want. Some wont even employ you if you have certain accents.

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by Kestolove(m): 10:57am On Mar 19, 2022
Op stop posting rubbish..

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by HYDEEE: 12:02pm On Mar 19, 2022
Kestolove:
Op stop posting rubbish..
Will you keep quiet there...

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by creolehunt: 6:26pm On Mar 19, 2022
It's not comforting, but the truth is that attractiveness can open quite some doors for you.

Anyone who doesn't know this is simply living in a fool's paradise.

Lalalsticlala mynd44

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by Karleb(m): 9:30pm On Mar 19, 2022
You've spoken well.

The same lady would reject a guy for being too short, ugly or bald.

125 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by Tallesty1(m): 10:16pm On Mar 19, 2022
Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by Professorcplus(m): 1:19pm On Mar 20, 2022
Omo short na for lady wey worwor.
Smalli na for the ones with right curve with banging body and fine face.

You getrit grin

7 Likes

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by maureensylvia(f): 1:20pm On Mar 20, 2022
Reading
Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by emmabest2000(m): 1:20pm On Mar 20, 2022
Limitations

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by nairalee(m): 1:20pm On Mar 20, 2022
Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by Olachase(m): 1:21pm On Mar 20, 2022
Buh the person way get matter Don forget about it since na, why dragging us back Again

7 Likes

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by proxitaly: 1:21pm On Mar 20, 2022
So many stringent reasons why someone is denied employment.
If this were a Nollywood movie I'll say that that recruiter will lose his/her business. He'll end up looking for employment only to meet that sorry applicant he/she rejected years ago as the manager of the new place....

But hey! Wake up! Life is not a movie. The recruiter have bashed your ego. Pick up yourself and move. You didn't create yourself anyways. The God what made you will place you where you're meant to fit.

41 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by salbis(m): 1:22pm On Mar 20, 2022
Karleb:
You've spoken well.

The same lady would reject a guy for being too short, ugly or bald.
Chop knuckles, oil dey ya head.

1 Like

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 1:24pm On Mar 20, 2022
Only Jesus can show real love to everyone..... Our world needs Jesus.
We keep deceiving ourselves, but there's no love in the society

OP, from your own submission, I believe that the whites are right for feeling superior to blacks and there's nothing wrong about it

#NoLoveInOurWorld

People show love based on looks

JESUS loved everyone, gave hope to people that would ordinarily have been rejected

Jesus is king

7 Likes

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by dedons: 1:24pm On Mar 20, 2022
Ok
Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by Bilabong(m): 1:24pm On Mar 20, 2022
Short people will just be collecting stray bullet anyhow. grin
Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by JustforMen: 1:25pm On Mar 20, 2022
Most short people dey worry abeg!

Most times very rude and passive aggressive.

Make she no worry, she grow tall one day grin grin grin grin grin
Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by Mko123(m): 1:25pm On Mar 20, 2022
Q
Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by ImoleNaija: 1:26pm On Mar 20, 2022
Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by DropsMic(m): 1:26pm On Mar 20, 2022
My company, my ways
Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by ATEAMS: 1:26pm On Mar 20, 2022
Follow the rules
Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by NobleSeed(m): 1:26pm On Mar 20, 2022
I no blame the Op na the mods way push this crappy Post Enter Fp na him I blame.
Moral lesson una try the know Una worth e get why.
Are you short ,tall ,slim or fat don't let anybody to bully your statue,in anyway,anywhere at any given point of time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by abobote: 1:26pm On Mar 20, 2022
You have said it all. Over the years, applicants have been rejected for some many reasons, including, including but not limited to heights, size, beauty and otherwise. But pronouncing some of this before an applicant, makes him/her feel rejected and less a human. On the note, the lady was right in the calling out the recruiter

7 Likes

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by suffering: 1:29pm On Mar 20, 2022
Nairaland is for typing stupid opinions. Enough said.

2 Likes

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by Mooh247: 1:29pm On Mar 20, 2022
Front desk jobs always require specific appearance or look for different organisations

6 Likes

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by visijo(m): 1:30pm On Mar 20, 2022
Talking to yourself is fun until you get caught.

2 Likes

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by Sleekfingers: 1:30pm On Mar 20, 2022
Is like telling a classy restaurant to employ a short waiteress , with yam legs and face like orangutan.

grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: My Take On The Applicant That Was Rejected For Being Short by Dpharisee: 1:31pm On Mar 20, 2022
This is reality staring us in the face, this world no balance

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time / Federal Civil Service Commission CV Submition And Registration / Pls Help Eeeeee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.