Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,456 members, 7,770,133 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:09 AM

What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers (3373 Views)

Webmasters, Which Nigerian Web Hosting Company Is Reliable? Pls Help! / Trudigits: My Best Nigerian Web Host Ever / Top Ten Nigerian Web Designers <caution> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Mobinga: 6:18pm On Jul 01, 2011
1 - Right Click Disabled
What's the real work of that function? To disable right click on webpages? It doesn't protect you from anything, infact it even motivates people to view your source and bypass any idiotic javascript protection you have on that page. Well some developers are smarter than that, while others are completely dull/dumb/ridiculous to even use it. In addition its the easiest thing to do.

Culprits :: http://jamb.org.ng/Unifiedtme/ and PM NEWS (Don't know whether they've stopped that shlt)

2 - Fugly Websites
Almost every Nigerian website you see is poorly graphically and css-ically designed. They are very UGLY!!! I think they're just lazy developers.
I'd advise them to learn some AJAX to make their sites fine small.

Culprits :: Every domain *.com.ng   grin

3 - Whitespace
It's good to minimize the amount of whitespace in your source code on production servers. Some nigerian developers even put comments in their production pages,  cry.
The lesser the whitespace you have the faster your pages load! Take nairaland for example a page with just 1 reply has 200 lines of code with each <div> tag taken ONE LINE  cry . Lets do the math. Lets say you have 31/32 replies (limit of posts for a page) checking from a page of 32 comments its like 1600 lines of code, the size in a txt document is 132 kb  shocked shocked if you remove whitespace, it halves it, thats 66kb of whitespace per page view. some pages reach 1,000 views.
Still multiply that by 66kb, thats 6MB of whitespace wasted on a page of 1,000 views cry .
Its wasteful.

That is all, for now.  cool
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Mobinga: 6:19pm On Jul 01, 2011
More to come.
BTW, this is the ugliest website ever. http://yvettesbridalformal.com/
Slyrox do your job. angry
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jul 01, 2011
They pay for what they get,besides the right click stuff still works on the Jamb site. let me help you out with some crimes

1.No Usage of CSS Sprite,packing images into One Image thus saving bandwith

2.No Caching,
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jul 01, 2011
Well, as for the sprites and seven ups, me i no usually get problem with that. But sometimes, you need to use progressive jpeg images, and also try to trim down images to balance quality and size at the same time.
I once opened a newspaper site, it took forever to load, and i noticed that one of the pictures posted was ehm several megabytes in size, and made the stuff
take forever to load. In that kinda situation, even if you must use that size, a progressive jpeg image will make the other contents of the page to load while the
picture loads "asynchronously"
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 12:03am On Jul 02, 2011
Nigerian websites really look ugly.
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by WeMaStEr(m): 1:10am On Jul 02, 2011
all4naija:

Nigerian websites really look ugly.

pleassssssssssssssssss, say for the ones u have seen or built, not for those u knows website design. i bulth several sites and sell at flippa for good bucks to Americans, chinas and others, many websites out there can be designed by nigerians but u dont know,

or you want say this blog no fine? www.worldlatestupdates.com, its just a blog, know that.
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by greenmouse(m): 9:13am On Jul 02, 2011
www.hhacf.org is the worst for me,

but some Naija developers are really trying,
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 02, 2011
Another thing you should consider about Nigerian clients is that - most of them look for cheap webmasters.

To build a proper website / web application - you need a team of developers depending on what you are
trying to do - there are so many different aspects of website development from content-writing to graphic design,
through web interface development, web programming, flash development/programming.

That it is impossible for one single person to completely master everything. I can do a little of everything, but i prefer
to call myself a web programmer. Fine, i can use photoshop cs4 / fireworks everything, even ms paint, and some coreldraw
and stuffs - but i still do not qualify to call myself a web interface developer.

Likewise, it is not everyone that can write codes - even if you train at Havard or wherever - that can be called a programmer.

In Nigeria, we have a lot of factors that contribute to the poor websites. One of them is that the clients are not informed and
do not seem to know what it takes to have a functional website.

Personalmente, i have faced a lot of challenges. And the result of this is that sometimes i dont get to show my full strength
due to several constraints that are placed on me by clients. And i am sure various professionals in this field face similar challenges.

Immagine for instance some clients will want you to build a web portal - and will refuse you to commission you properly to carry out
the task which may involve:
- buying scripts (sometimes you dont have enough time to write all the needed scripts)
- using a lot of internet services (some clients assume you are using free internet)
- generator (some clients assume you have 24 hrs NEPA)
- a lot of good food (if you write codes at any speed close to mine, you will realize the speed at which your energy zaps)
- security scan (most clients do not want to pay for security scans - even small-boy hackers can hack several naija sites)
- buying of templates (sometimes, you can find great templates for sale that can solve your problem)
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 10:35am On Jul 02, 2011
This is by far my fastest ban and unban on NL. gracias @mobinga por la ayuda
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 02, 2011
Funny, i was going to complete that post before i was banned. Well, i have only said a little.

Before when i was still a 'nino' developer, i used to believe it was entirely the fault of the developers,
but no, the clients are to blame sometimes too - most times.

Another thing: web development companies - the ones that i have worked for in the past pay very poorly
relative to the job being done - that is why i always joke whenever people bring posts to nairaland that:
web developer wanted. . .blah blah blah

Fine, i still do websites, but i am moving more into application development - and little of website development.
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Seun(m): 11:03am On Jul 02, 2011
@*dhtml: you're welcome.
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 02, 2011
Great to see you on this great thread senor seun, and am happy to see slyr0x on board. . . .meanwhile, your contributions to this thread are most welcome
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by DualCore1: 11:07am On Jul 02, 2011
Seun:

@*dhtml: you're welcome.
^^ Delete mobinga's post, its not longer of any use. smiley

*dhtml:

your contributions to this thread are most welcome
We accept paypal and ATMs.
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by remoranger(m): 2:24pm On Jul 02, 2011
its our fault too. We price ourselves too low. Nobody goes to a dealer shop and starts pricing a ferrari from one million naira. On the other hand. If you pay me 50k to do a site for you. do u really expect me to put that much time and effort in it? NO
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jul 02, 2011
or you want say this blog no fine? www.worldlatestupdates.com, its just a blog, know that.
Sorry to say that website looks outdated to me. Take a look at the Nav bars, they are out of order what seemed to transpire of them - I point to the 'Home Nav ' with a color line at the top of it which is not proper. There is not proper care taken to even address the banner with regards to the Nav bar. The page is too cramped up(probably from the idea that a good webpage is the numbers of item you have in it) which made it clumpsy as such. There are lot to say about this page which rather not a blog as such. A blog template should less clustered and accessible as easily by small bandwith.

Nigerian website developers don't take things into details before going designing of websites.

Still that website you gave is not as good as you think!
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 02, 2011
remoranger:

its our fault too. We price ourselves too low. Nobody goes to a dealer shop and starts pricing a ferrari from one million naira. On the other hand. If you pay me 50k to do a site for you. do u really expect me to put that much time and effort in it? NO
Well, you do have a point there. Meanwhile, if they say they cannot pay above 50k to get the job done, another developer will do it for 20k - of course,
poorer quality job.
At one time i developed a policy that for low-budget jobs, i dont do any d-h-t-m-l effects, i just do straight LAMP - no jscript/jquery/ajax and definitely
no sprites and seven ups and quickly rush off to the next job before hunger wire my belle!

Some people say whatever is what doing is worth doing best, i do the best i can do based on budget and based on available resources.

Let us take a look at a more realistic scenario.

[size=18pt]Scenario 1:
[/size]

PC Guru: BIS + Starcomms don expire - Eyes come dey chook

DHTML: Just chilling out and meets a client.
Client: brings job and wants to pay 50k. (-1)

DHTML: Analyze job and sees that job should be worth 500k (+1)

Client: Refuses to bid higher, and wants job delivered in 1 month (-1)
DHTML: Observes that this is a major project and should span 6 months (+1)

Client: Gets annoyed with dhtml and wants to get a cheaper developer (-1)

DHTML: DHTML takes job, and chops 25k and gives remoranger 25k to do the job (-1)

Remoranger: Chops 15k out of the 25 k and gives the job to pc guru (-1)

PC Guru: Is pissed off but wtf at least i can pay for internet + BIS, f u ck the css sprites (+1 - 1)

Client: Gets half-bakes job, and he is like well, since i paid 50k, so this is good enough for me.

At the end, everybody goes home happy with a f**ed up website.

[size=18pt]Scenario 2:
[/size]
PC Guru: BIS + Starcomms don expire - Eyes come dey chook

DHTML: Just chilling out and meets a client.
Client: brings job and wants to pay 50k. (-1)

DHTML: Analyze job and sees that job should be worth 500k (+1)

Client: Decides to pay 450k and wants job delivered in 5 months (+2)
DHTML: Splits up work, outsource interface design to pc guru and programs the remaining

The end, a good website complete with css sprites and javascript seven ups, and everyone
goes home happy.

[size=18pt]Disclaimer:[/size]
This is just a little bit of illustration, no references to prices or people aforementioned are real.
And no website or client were messed up in the making of this thread.
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by DualCore1: 4:55pm On Jul 02, 2011
LoL, BIS. That's our own monthly sickness, the women have theirs.
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by utimatedes(m): 7:25pm On Jul 02, 2011
1 - Right Click Disabled
The reason why some webmasters use that is to prevent user from copying text, images etc. There are afraid of people stealing their work.
Even some who used other people scripts still don't want you to copy, but that can't stop you from copying or enabling the right click by disabling javascript.

2 - Fugly Websites
For you to design any good looking website, you need to be creative, innovative and good knowledge.
Most Nigerian Webmasters are not creative enough and lack ideas.
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by WeMaStEr(m): 8:22pm On Jul 02, 2011
all4naija:

Sorry to say that website looks outdated to me. Take a look at the Nav bars, they are out of order what seemed to transpire of them - I point to the 'Home Nav ' with a color line at the top of it which is not proper. There is not proper care taken to even address the banner with regards to the Nav bar. The page is too cramped up(probably from the idea that a good webpage is the numbers of item you have in it) which made it clumpsy as such. There are lot to say about this page which rather not a blog as such. A blog template should less clustered and accessible as easily by small bandwith.

Nigerian website developers don't take things into details before going designing of websites.

Still that website you gave is not as good as you think!

can u really listen to yourself? nav bar are perfectly fixed, the color line u see, adds more attractiveness and for the banners, that's what the client wants. and the pages loads fast, even the clients got offers to sell the site for $25,800 which he feels he will make more than that he its properly managed. and take into consideration it took me just 24hours to come up with that. yet i still call it blog. assume am paid a good price and really spend 3-4 weeks with such site, what do u think i will come up with?. think b4 u talk
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by WeMaStEr(m): 8:33pm On Jul 02, 2011
if clients can pay a good price, they will get a good job done.
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by bouzymill(m): 10:58pm On Jul 02, 2011
WHY DO I HATE THIS WORD, WEBMASTER? IT'S SO LAME AND PLAYED OUT. WHAT IS WRONG WITH "WEB DEVELOPER" OR "FRONT-END DEVELOPER". ABEG!

AND PLEASE WHO ARE THOSE DESIGNERS AND DEVELOPERS YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT?
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 9:08am On Jul 03, 2011
But one other thing i should mention is that - The fake developers we have in Nigeria are the majority.
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by guru01(m): 11:05pm On Jul 03, 2011
@OP
Why do you hate naija developers for their ignorance, as a good developer that i know you are, you need to correct them not criticize them because that will not solve the problem.
I haven't seen a topic that says <NIGERIAN DEVELOPERS ARE THE BEST> or <THANKYOU DUALCORE OR BEEN A GOOD MOD.> or < HOW TO IMPROVE WEBSITE STANDARD IN NIGERIA>
We need to change or way of life, to enable us live in a better economy.

CHEERS,
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by nigboy(m): 12:13am On Jul 04, 2011
Website is not all about beauty
It is all about information
Nigerians should think web 2.0
this is not the era of web 1.0
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 6:26am On Jul 04, 2011
guru01:

@OP
Why do you hate naija developers for their ignorance, as a good developer that i know you are, you need to correct them not criticize them because that will not solve the problem.
I haven't seen a topic that says <NIGERIAN DEVELOPERS ARE THE BEST> or <THANKYOU DUALCORE OR BEEN A GOOD MOD.> or < HOW TO IMPROVE WEBSITE STANDARD IN NIGERIA>
We need to change or way of life, to enable us live in a better economy.

CHEERS,
Superb. And even the naija developers that do stuffs well hardly gets praised. Nigerians seem to hate themselves for being Nigerians.
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Slyr0x: 7:48am On Jul 04, 2011
Nice one guru01
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 04, 2011
I don't buy the idea of mediocres!
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 04, 2011
can u really listen to yourself? nav bar are perfectly fixed, the color line u see, adds more attractiveness and for the banners, that's what the client wants. and the pages loads fast, even the clients got offers to sell the site  for $25,800 which he feels he will make more than that he its properly managed. and take into consideration it took me just 24hours to come up with that. yet i still call it blog. assume am paid a good price and really spend 3-4 weeks with such site, what do u think i will come up with?. think b4 u talk
I can as well call that your website longy! Bro, it is good to be creative and innovative. Your template is very common and you made it to be too clumpsy anyway. I don't like the pop menu added to to the drop down menu for the nav bar items and sometimes it cover the item list. Modern website don't actually go for things like that any more.

Accept this as from your viewer!
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jul 04, 2011
@dhtml, lol nice one.
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 3:22am On Jul 05, 2011
i can hear the owner of http://yvettesbridalformal.com/ saying make it very attractive
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 05, 2011
sledjama:

i can hear the owner of http://yvettesbridalformal.com/ saying make it very attractive
FEStival of Arts & Culture - All on a single website!! The sito es muy beautiful indeed and yes colorful too!!
Re: What I Hate About Nigerian Web Developers by lojik(m): 8:50pm On Jul 06, 2011
I meet an [b]o[/b]ld [b]f[/b]riend and he says he's a programmer now.

Me: Really? And what projects have you worked on? Languages? Technologies?
O.F: I'm more into web development

Me: Good. Whc technology or serverside do u do? Architecture? Frameworks?
O.F: Actually, I'm into Joomla. I develop websites with joomla. Do you know Joomla?

Me: Then you are not a programmer.
O.F: Yes i am, i have built a lot of sites and my works speak for me. Do you even know Joomla? (Guy truns red)

Me: Ok. No offense taken. Its just that i'm a professional programmer and i don't agree that a Joomla installer is a programmer.
------------------
There are too many people who have never written a functional class or used a two/three dimensional array and yet call themselves programmers. There are junk certificate holder every where wasting my time by applying when there is vacancy.
After searching for competent support programmers for months, i gave up and decided to start training the programmers i will use tomorrow today. I now train my own programmers from scratch since all the good ones are overpriced (DHTML, Sly, Dual e.t.c).

(1) (2) (Reply)

20 Ways To Earn Audience You Should Know As A Blogger / This Is How You Should Blog Effectively This Year / How I Wasted Million Naira Plus Hiring Writers On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.