Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,777 members, 7,802,386 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

"How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses (772 Views)

Shettima: One Of The Bishops Allegedly Hired By APC, Tinubu Confesses / Adesina: Obasanjo Contributed To Nigeria’s Crisis, Should Mind His Utterances / 'I Don't Believe In One Nigeria'- Tinubu ThisDay 1997 Headline Shared By Kperogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

"How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by oilPUSSY(f): 2:39pm On Mar 24, 2022
Former Lagos State Governor, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, on Thursday called on Nigerians to truthfully acknowledge the fact that all are responsible for the parlous state of the nation’s social, economic and political sectors and be bold enough to come together to correct same.

He stated this while delivering the 25th convocation lecture of the Lagos State University, LASU, titled ‘Global trends: Nigeria and its place in the world, do we love ourselves enough?’

He was represented on the occasion by the Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Dr Obafemi Hamzat.

Taking a cursory look at developments in the social, economic and political sectors of the county, he opined that being ranked as the seventh most populous nation on Earth, her ranking as the 131st globally in GDP per capita, was not cheery news.

“Let us not fool ourselves. History is patient yet not forever lenient regarding negligent folly.

“There comes a time when there is no time. Our nation approaches such a moment.

“We have boasted of enormous potential for decades, consoling our discomfort by saying that potential will be realised tomorrow.

“But something disappointing seems to happen when tomorrow becomes today.

“Years and decades have passed, yet greatness remains elusive. If greatness came merely by speaking of it, we would be among the greatest nation in human history.

“Instead, Nigeria remains locked in place. We remain an economy unjustly designed to export raw materials and import increasingly expensive finished products.

“The name of the raw materials might have changed from cocoa and groundnut to oil and gas. The dire effects of this uneven economic arrangement remain the same.

ALSO READ: Relocation of $16bn Dangote Refinery from Ondo to Lagos: l didn’t demand gratification — Mimiko

“We must be truthful enough to acknowledge this lapse, bold enough to correct it, and tolerant enough not to endlessly vilify each other for causing it. We are all both cause and hopefully solution. Let us join hands. We must reform this nation,” he said.

While comparing economic developments in the country with some other nations, Tinubu said the country had been segregated into two unequal economic spheres.

“One, populated by a select few who flourish in the financial, corporate and virtual worlds. This group will be able to buy and do anything they want. The other will be the crowded house of the majority who work hard but earn very little given their strenuous effort. They will struggle but not gain. Toil not to triumph but merely survive. This unfairness has gone too long. We must end it,” he noted.

On high youth unemployment in Nigeria, he opined that with youth under-employment and unemployment projected to reach 60 per cent, urgent steps should be taken to redress the situation by increasing the nation’s annual economic growth.

“Sadly, Nigeria has never experienced double-digit growth for any sustained period. Nigeria and South Korea had per capita incomes of roughly $800 in 1950. By 2008, Nigeria’s per capita incomes doubled. Meanwhile, South Korea’s ballooned by over 2000 per cent,” he added.

On the need to quickly pay attention to agriculture, Tinubu raised the alarm that climate change and desertification were rapidly depleting arable land in the country.

“For many northern states, the percentage of land under attack exceeds 30 per cent. We face a harmful dynamic. More people are forced off the land due to deforestation, desertification and low rural incomes. Some of them crowd into other rural areas competing for limited resources with existing inhabitants,” he said.

Proffering solutions to the challenges, the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, said youth urban employment, agriculture, real estate reform, education and economy and infrastructure among others should be the focus of the government.

Tinubu later donated a Centre for Leadership and Development worth one billion to the university.

Vanguard News Nigeria

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/03/we-all-caused-nigerias-woes-must-salvage-it-together-%e2%80%95-tinubu/

Lalasticlala Lalasticlala

Mynd44

1 Like

Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by Blackfire(m): 2:43pm On Mar 24, 2022
E no concern us

North 2023
North 2023

Anyway I sell cows

1 Like

Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by dawnomike(m): 2:54pm On Mar 24, 2022
As much as I do not fancy Tinubu to be the next president, he seems to be the only aspirant that has been proactive well enough thus far... I really wonder what others are waiting for while he subtly gains ground.
2023 will be interesting...

4 Likes

Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by EmirGold(m): 2:54pm On Mar 24, 2022
No human can stop BAT come 2023, BAT23 is a done deal
Children of hate and perdition can wail to death with their inconsequential 5% votes

2 Likes

Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by oilPUSSY(f): 2:55pm On Mar 24, 2022
dawnomike:
As much as I do not fancy Tinubu to be the next president, he seems to be the only aspirant that has been proactive well enough thus far... I really wonder what others are waiting for while he subtly gains ground.

Keep deceiving yourself...

3 Likes

Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by Ebubeslym(m): 2:56pm On Mar 24, 2022
This old drug kingpin should rest

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by Spandau: 2:58pm On Mar 24, 2022
Blackfire:
E no concern us

North 2023
North 2023

Anyway I sell cows

You can eat them all.
Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by EsomahJD: 2:59pm On Mar 24, 2022
Then allow a better candidate to fix the woes you created.

1 Like

Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by Onepeople: 3:04pm On Mar 24, 2022
EmirGold:
No human can stop BAT come 2023, BAT23 is a done deal
Children of hate and perdition can wail to death with their inconsequential 5% votes
don't worry about the 5% ,your worry should be Buhari and the remaining 95%.
Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by AshiwajuFoward: 3:11pm On Mar 24, 2022
oilPUSSY:

Keep deceiving yourself...

Your obsession with Tinubu shows that you truly fear that he'll actually become Nigeria's next president, so much so that you went as far as altering the original headline of the news report to mislead readers. Las las you go dey alright.
Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by Truthisunique3: 3:12pm On Mar 24, 2022
dawnomike:
folks beware this is the new line of zombies

They know Tinubu is bad market which majority of people outside zombies don't fancy so they begin with the obvious

And later start adding stupid points to support him, can this man now tell us if Atiku is playing with sand since

1 Like

Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by Karlovych: 3:14pm On Mar 24, 2022
embarassed We all knew he was up to no good, in all his years as a leader in Lagos, it is still his minions and puppets that run the show.
A useless criminal engaging in broad daylight money laundering
#Say no to an owomida nation
#Say no to poo poo candidates
# Say no to druggie community

Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by Truthisunique3: 3:16pm On Mar 24, 2022
Tinubu said the country had been segregated into two unequal economic spheres.

“One, populated by a select few who flourish in the financial, corporate and virtual worlds. This group will be able to buy and do anything they want. The other will be the crowded house of the majority who work hard but earn very little given their strenuous effort. They will struggle but not gain. Toil not to triumph but merely survive. This unfairness has gone too long. We must end it,” he noted

Tinubu has summarised it, he contributed to Nigeria woes by creating a minute circle of loyalists who enjoy enormous wealth for defending him and his cash cows which milks majority of Nigerians in lagos

Offering them stomach infrastructure every four years
Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by Esama: 3:22pm On Mar 24, 2022
Igbo people should support Atiku and let other tribes decide the fate of Tinubu.
Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by dasparrow: 3:31pm On Mar 24, 2022
Break up Nigeria to save lives. Yesterday's survivors are today's victims. These Nigerian politicians have nothing to offer. They joined politics so that they can loot.
Re: "How I Contributed To The Problem Of Nigeria" Tinubu Confesses by Mynd44: 3:51pm On Mar 24, 2022

(1)

You Now Understand Why They Organize Crime In East To Blame Ipob / Mko’s Daughter Slams Sister For Using Dad’s Name To Campaign For Yahaya Bello / Meet Anambra Born Ezike, First Black Female Rector Of The University Of Aberdeen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.