Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:47 PM

Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report (31709 Views)

Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying / 7 Signs Of A Toxic Workplace / Tips To Survive A Toxic Workplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Parachoko: 10:32am On Mar 25, 2022
...begins an active investigation into the current workplace culture at Bento.

Bento Africa’s Board of Directors has recommended that the Chief Executive Officer, Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo takes some time off and be removed from any people-related decisions for the time being.

This was disclosed in a news release posted on Bento Africa’s website yesterday.

This came after Tech Cabal launched an avalanche against toxic bosses with a story on Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo, the CEO of tech start-up, Bento Africa.

The crackdown on Ebun was a result of alleged verbal abuse, which included unconscionable curse words, refusal to grant leave and time off, erratic termination of appointment without due process – essentially just deactivating their emails and Slack accounts.

He was also accused of allegedly telling laid-off employees that they wouldn’t find work anywhere. Leave days and time off were dismissed as a fallacy, according to the report.

What Bento is saying

As he is mandated to, Ebun informed the Board of Directors of Bento last Thursday that he had been asked to comment on an article about the workplace culture at Bento and that he expected that something of material impact will soon be published. As professional Investors and Operators, we were aghast at the defensive and escalatory first tweets of Ebun on the matter, which we quickly moved against. Our responsibility and charter is to the Company, not the founders we invest in.

When we discovered the content of what was going to come out, we moved to do the following:

Ensure that the current team is safe and free to speak freely. We voided any NDA’s that may have been in place and instructed Management to let the Team know they were free to speak to any journalist that contacted them.
We began an active investigation into the current workplace culture at Bento and we broadened the scope when the article was released. We have also retained an external counsel.

We instructed that Ebun take some time off and removed him from all people related decisions for now. Chidozie will now lead on this along with the country managers and functional heads.
We are reviewing the HR and People practices and guidelines at Bento and will work with HR consultants and the company’s in house team to make sure that it is reflective of human values that drive sustainable performance.

We are aware of the wider impact the conversation has sparked and we will lean into it, not just at Bento but across our personal portfolios – there is no place in the world for a workplace that isn’t healthy; it is unkind and does not build good companies. Due to the ongoing investigation which is being carried out by the external counsel, we will not be able to comment on individual issues raised for now. We however expect it to be quick and we will share our observations once concluded.

There is no place in the world for tyranny and we will ensure Bento becomes the leading voice for the transformation of every workspace into psychologically safe spaces that allow all employees thrive.

Thank you.
On behalf of the board,

Obinna Ukachukwu
Manpreet Mann
Adedayo Amzat
https://blog.bento.africa/a-message-from-bento/

https://nairametrics.com/2022/03/24/bento-africa-suspends-ceo-ebunoluwa-okunbanjo-after-toxic-workplace-report/

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by TeeGentle(m): 10:41am On Mar 25, 2022
Double wahala for dead body

3 Likes

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by datola: 3:29pm On Mar 25, 2022
Good. Sack him from his own company.

Hope it serves as a lesson to other bullying employers

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Perfecttouchade: 3:29pm On Mar 25, 2022
Ok..make una epp me beg @killmods I no wan run for presidency, e sey na by force grin grin bros I dobaale biko I no do grin

4 Likes

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Bambarino: 3:29pm On Mar 25, 2022
one bad turn deserves another

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by femijay8271(m): 3:29pm On Mar 25, 2022
angry I get one madam like dat for vi... She owns a very big restaurant Dis Ebun own na Small for dis woman side. Manager o, Accountant o, Security guards o, every damn person dey fear her just because she knows who is who in the society... But the day wey d tin do me and her Chai angry na accuse she accuse me of wetin I no do... Oooh, e be like say I smoke igbo that day , I Para like area boi for her ... D tin wey she just dey talk & shout na "U WAN BEAT ME, OYA COM BEAT ME" Security guard wey dey her door no even care if I comot madam teeth grin.... Her own don too much... But I later go beg her Sha in the next day and ever since then... All staff begin call me Madam husband grin

Me self con dey do like...

140 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by chaseblack(m): 3:29pm On Mar 25, 2022
Lol...
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Arelyn: 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2022
F
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Ulunne777(f): 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2022
Power of social media

14 Likes

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Coolhaywhy(m): 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2022
The beautiful power of social media at work.

23 Likes

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by SandraIkuboR(f): 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2022
Oh
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by mopige: 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2022
Ok
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Optimistguy1969: 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2022
Dem dey suspend CEO?!

How?

7 Likes

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by AliuKe: 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2022
Such bosses are needed in Nigeria, most employers will silently hire such a guy because he has what it takes to get the job done....

Although he went to the extreme in some cases but i support him 100%

He will be back soon, tougher this time ....

Good Job Ebun...

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by FishFisher: 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2022
God bless social media
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by DoctorOlasDesk: 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2022
Jeez
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Caleycashh: 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2022
Parachoko:
...begins an active investigation into the current workplace culture at Bento.

Bento Africa’s Board of Directors has recommended that the Chief Executive Officer, Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo takes some time off and be removed from any people-related decisions for the time being.

This was disclosed in a news release posted on Bento Africa’s website yesterday.

This came after Tech Cabal launched an avalanche against toxic bosses with a story on Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo, the CEO of tech start-up, Bento Africa.

The crackdown on Ebun was a result of alleged verbal abuse, which included unconscionable curse words, refusal to grant leave and time off, erratic termination of appointment without due process – essentially just deactivating their emails and Slack accounts.

He was also accused of allegedly telling laid-off employees that they wouldn’t find work anywhere. Leave days and time off were dismissed as a fallacy, according to the report.

What Bento is saying

https://blog.bento.africa/a-message-from-bento/

https://nairametrics.com/2022/03/24/bento-africa-suspends-ceo-ebunoluwa-okunbanjo-after-toxic-workplace-report/
Normal thing in Naija work environment... always miss using there power to treat others ill, useless country filled with many morons

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by treatise: 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2022
The man eyes nor good for head before.
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Globad(f): 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2022
Bento is bent on boxing the bent bossy boss grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by iCauseTrouble: 3:31pm On Mar 25, 2022
angry
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by DarkJeddi(m): 3:31pm On Mar 25, 2022
Not surprised..
We like to dey show our selves for this country..
You know who I be? grin

1 Like

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Mooh247: 3:31pm On Mar 25, 2022
cool

Crazy boss got axed

Yes you are the CEO but remember the Board of executive director and shareholder can still sack you

But what if the employee never had the courage to speak up

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Oxtertee(m): 3:33pm On Mar 25, 2022
i love this.
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by LandMann: 3:36pm On Mar 25, 2022
You'll find same or even worse level of toxicity in virtually most companies and contract firms in Nigeria... They should beam their searchlight on call centre agent workplace. It's where you'll find man's inhumanity to man

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by yomalex(m): 3:36pm On Mar 25, 2022
Okay
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Felabrity: 3:36pm On Mar 25, 2022
Good move

Hope they did their investigation

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast / Andela Sacks 420 Staff In Nigeria, Kenya And Uganda / How To Stop Being Dependent On Monthly Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.