Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,837 members, 7,802,680 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:42 PM

I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing (29444 Views)

Question An American Asked About Nigerians Stealing Their Jobs And Reply He Got / My Colleague Was Sacked – My Pains, My Views / Vacancy For A Junior Accountant (job Ref: Jnr Acct) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by lucro: 2:53pm On Mar 27, 2022
Can you prove what your eyes saw without resulting to a 'he said and I said' arguement? If you do the present the matter to your direct manager and let him or her decide what happens.

If you keep it to yourself you therefore assume a role you were not employed for, and it is very possible that the good you think you want to do may come back to hunt you.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by lagosrd: 2:55pm On Mar 27, 2022
ajailer:
Please don’t report him yet as even you sef don Dey confused on ur next line of action based on that you don’t want to complicate his life for him. If you report him on Monday and he gets sacked, you might end up feeling bad about your action.

Wetin me go do next b dis, I will call him and have a chat with him outside of the working premises. I will let him know I am doing him a favor by letting him go off the hook but it will be on the condition that he tells you about all the shady dealings going on there with other staffs too and how they do it( might be he is not the only one doing it). Buy his loyalty, make him see that honesty pays, block all the loopholes and you will see someone who will be loyal to you for life.

I have been down this road before, I reported the guy and got him arrested. I later started feeling bad that my decision was too hasty and even after that theft never reduced but the guys under me just got wiser.

I didn't not need to add a dime. Exactly what I wanted to type. Be careful not to walk into a trap , they may be in a clique and you get injured. Ask in to tell you every deal going on in that place and who and who is involved. Make him your errand boy and get the info to make a big move
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Tribalism123(m): 2:57pm On Mar 27, 2022
Tomorrow is the Monday.
Give in written FAKE query to threaten him. He will sit up. Why i said fake query is so that the Management will not be aware of the query but it will still threaten what he did.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by omorttee4u(m): 2:57pm On Mar 27, 2022
hakeemhakeem:
Forgive him but chat with him on WhatsApp save it.in case he try to come up any move that will go against you in future trust me he would be planing something

Op. What this man said is right. Save yourself first. This guy might collide with other colleague, you eyes can't be everywhere in the end, they would put everything on your head. Talking from experience. Goodluck!
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by ajog1: 2:59pm On Mar 27, 2022
ajailer:
Please don’t report him yet as even you sef don Dey confused on ur next line of action based on that you don’t want to complicate his life for him. If you report him on Monday and he gets sacked, you might end up feeling bad about your action.

Wetin me go do next b dis, I will call him and have a chat with him outside of the working premises. I will let him know I am doing him a favor by letting him go off the hook but it will be on the condition that he tells you about all the shady dealings going on there with other staffs too and how they do it( might be he is not the only one doing it). Buy his loyalty, make him see that honesty pays, block all the loopholes and you will see someone who will be loyal to you for life.

I have been down this road before, I reported the guy and got him arrested. I later started feeling bad that my decision was too hasty and even after that theft never reduced but the guys under me just got wiser.
Makes sense. See schooling..
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by emmyN(m): 3:00pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,
Please I will try to be brief as possible as i can.
I work with a firm that sells construction equipment, and head the logistics and warehouse department. I have this junior colleague that has been with the company for 8years(long before i joined cos i have only been there for 2+ years), he is experienced and good at his job.
But yesterday i caught this guy trying to steal two pieces of 70ah batteries, it really broke my heart because he can not even sell this things for up to 100k. I have tried everything in my capacity to make sure those working under my dept enjoy every benefits that are due to them; from hazard allowance, overtime, and so on. I sign all this allowance without asking questions even when sometimes some of them are questionable. I was doing all this so that nobody has any reason to steal and they have small change to augment their salary.
Personally i hate theft and frown at it and they all know it cos i keep preaching against this at every meeting, and if i escalate this to the management at the HQ in Lagos, he might be sack without benefits after 8 long years and he is a family man.

Though I have scold him and told him he would hear from me by Monday morning, the truth is given the situation I don't know what to do with this guy.

I am really confuse cos i don't even know how long he has been doing this shit.

Whatever discussion you may have with him, make sure it's recorded for safeguarding purpose.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Depressed101: 3:00pm On Mar 27, 2022
HarunaWest:
You can tell management that you doubt his integrity.If they ask what prompted such thoughts, just say that you almost caught him committing theft. Let management decide his fate.....Economy hard doesn't give one the right to steal from your employer.
best advice
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by SILVERLINES: 3:00pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,
I work with a firm that sells construction equipment, and head the logistics and warehouse department. I have this junior colleague that has been with the company for 8years(long before i joined cos i have only been there for 2+ years), he is experienced and good at his job.
But yesterday i caught this guy trying to steal two pieces of 70ah batteries, it really broke my heart because he can not even sell this things for up to 100k. I have tried everything in my capacity to make sure those working under my dept enjoy every benefits that are due to them; from hazard allowance, overtime, and so on. I sign all this allowance without asking questions even when sometimes some of them are questionable. I was doing all this so that nobody has any reason to steal and they have small change to augment their salary.
Personally i hate theft and frown at it and they all know it cos i keep preaching against this at every meeting, and if i escalate this to the management at the HQ in Lagos, he might be sack without benefits after 8 long years and he is a family man.

Though I have scold him and told him he would hear from me by Monday morning, the truth is given the situation I don't know what to do with this guy.

forgive him brother, please in the name of God almighty I beg you, these are trying times. Economy is so tough for those with jobs talk of those without jobs. Please help him keep his job. But next time he tries that again fire him
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by SRichard1: 3:01pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

"Life has been hard from 0.0"

I will advise u have a heart to heart conversation with him..

Ask him questions on why he choose such path.. Then from there, you can decide on whether to pardon him ( with a stern warning to desist from such act) or not
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Skoopy(m): 3:02pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

His action is capable of making you all in that department loose your jobs or face stern sanctions from management, however, I'll urge you to forgive him. I've also found myself in same situation. This was my recommendation to management and it's was fully implemented. everyone is happy today since such is completely non existence anymore.

1) Recommend that management install CCTV cameras in strategic positions in your storage location(s).

2) your Storage location should be a security bit. by this I mean a security personnel must be positioned around your warehouse day and night, it will discourage anyone with such motive from attempting to implement it.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by czarmide(m): 3:04pm On Mar 27, 2022
Meanwhile bro,for you not to escalate his issue to the management will regard you as an accomplice in stealing company properties which will later hunt your career prospects in life.People that keep asking you to pardon him fail to understand that a one man company is different from a company with board of directors. Do not be surprised that a petition can be written against you tomorrow by the next person eyeing your seat for covering theft in the company and you know what that simply mean.When you're in charge of supervising people,there are some things that must be clearly verified. Following code of conduct is not wickedness but creating an atmosphere that give room for dignity at work
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by biggy00000(m): 3:06pm On Mar 27, 2022
Just give am one on one query - to cover your own job so he does not come back to
-deny it

- try set u up to protect himself.

The query MUST be One -on -One
No copy anybody o

No blind copy anybody o.

Oluwa a wa pelu e

1 Like

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by harmony75: 3:07pm On Mar 27, 2022
Discipline him now!! human beings can be dangerous
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Godfather898989: 3:08pm On Mar 27, 2022
Get the mafia manager and get your solution. A whole chapter elaborate on dealing with thieves under your watch.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by OlawaleBammie: 3:10pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

give him second chance pls
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by lilvicky68(m): 3:11pm On Mar 27, 2022
Report him now or suffer the consequences..
He will only get smarter with the stealing if you don't report him
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by ksly24(m): 3:15pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

Boss could you please help me with a job in your company?
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by moneyissues(m): 3:29pm On Mar 27, 2022
HarunaWest:
You can tell management that you doubt his integrity.If they ask what prompted such thoughts, just say that you almost caught him committing theft. Let management decide his fate.....Economy hard doesn't give one the right to steal from your employer.

People like you would make others commit suicide. do you know what it would take him to look for another job or do you know what made him did such. Is it is first time or his he having family challenge that requires urgent financial assistance. Op please when you meet with him on Monday just talk to him about his challenges he might be facing. If non then ask him why he stole from the company and if there is no tangible reason scold him the more and tell him your eyes are on him and if anything gets missing again he will be held responsible. Thank let your action not lead to his sack please.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by vpaymoney(m): 3:30pm On Mar 27, 2022
HarunaWest:
Pray you are not transfer outside Lagos. And you try this, You will learn lesson the hard way
@op no mind this man o. Do as if you don't know nothing. And move on.
I have seen people many times but e nor concerns me.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Cuteamigo1(m): 3:30pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

oga me help me with a job if you can please. My CV is ready and I can send it to you.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by afristorm3: 3:38pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

Pls, don’t report him to the management. Calm down. Take your time to see what is really going on. It is possible that he is not the only one stealing right under your nose. I’m writing from experience. My brother got a job from a big firm that supplies groceries for some companies in Nigeria. After 3 weeks on the job , he discovered that his junior colleague was supplying expired goods to these big customers and instead of him to use street orientation to tackle the matter, my brother being a strict Christian decided to write a memo to the HQ as regards to the matter. He was assassinated two days after , we buried him last month. It’s so painful, he wouldn’t have died if he had confided him rather than telling my sister alone. I got to know about the story of the junior colleague after he was killed. It’s so painful. Chill bro, don’t be in a haste to report him. Take your time before you decide on what to do. Your life is important, if anything happens , your company will not close down because of your absence.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by TheAdvocate(m): 3:40pm On Mar 27, 2022
Karleb:
Why is he still a junior staff after 8 years?

Have you seen a retired soldier at the rank of corporal or Sergeant?
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by viktortommy(m): 3:40pm On Mar 27, 2022
Sir a thief either for the first time or last time is a thief, second chances might not solve the problem..I you really want to punish him, change his department to a place where he can't steal anything and where he would work extra hard till he retires.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Awoleesu(m): 3:40pm On Mar 27, 2022
First invite him for a chat and have the chat recorded...

Know why he wanted to steal, how long has he been doing it, are there other employees involved in the syndicate?

Then tell him the consequence of his action. Ask him what he would have done if you two were to swap places in the scenario, and what the rule says on such? - let him judge himself...

If it is within your powers, serve him a query (as action on first offender) but don't copy management.

Then if it is also within your powers, move him to a job role where he'll have no access to movable company assets... Let him have his penitence session there for a while...
Work with the info you gathered over your chat... Because, you can't be so sure he's a lone offender!

Las-las, Oga watch your back! He might just be reading this too...

Good luck.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by gulfer: 3:42pm On Mar 27, 2022
The level of dishonesty in the country is extremely high and the earlier we realized that only truthfulness exalts a nation and ensure the culprits are punished for their crimes...@OP, report to your management, or else you might be implicated when an external audit is conducted on your unit and they find so much rot under you that you are even unaware of angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by rickyboss333: 3:44pm On Mar 27, 2022
one can easily tell you're d type that is always considerate and as much as possible, not to be a part of anyone's downfall. Cos if after all u did just to avoid theft and yet this happened, ofcourse d right thing to make your reports to your superior which u would have done without coming to share here. But because of d kind of heart u hv, u know deep inside of u, u would not be happy knowing u had a part to play to bring a fellow man down. So it's obvious u can't report him. So I still believe he has to punished. If u ask me, u hv already started d best punishment 4 sm1 like him... letting his conscience do d punishing. Since u have told him he would hear from u by Monday, when u get to d office, make him pen down d theft in writing n sign it, just incase things go south 4 ur own back up, then leave it at that, let him still continue to wait 4 d outcome, by so doing putting him on his toes. Let him have that punishment 4 about 2 weeks, b4 calling him and giving another chance

1 Like

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Rhozabeth(m): 3:52pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

Bros as a HR practitioner, i will advise that u issue the guy a query and keep the response because if the issue eventually get to the mgt thru whatever means and u have not done anything, it means u are complicit. The query i issue will exonerate you! When u are trying to help someone pls do it cautiously! Not at the expense of ur job!
Meanwhile if such happens again and u catch him or them pls do not spare him!

1 Like

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by VEHINTOLAR: 3:55pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

If you fail to do what the management of the company would have expected you to do in such a situation,you're only setting up yourself for regrettable consequences. Don't you have code of conducts in your company that all employees are signatories to ? What if a superior officer is aware of this incident but only waiting to see your next line of action ? What if it was the guy's first time,is anyone expected to steal from the company ?

Trust me,if the management of your company later finds out about this incident,you can be sure somebody will ask you WHEN It happened and WHY didn't you report it IMMEDIATELY ? I hope you have your answers ready for such query ? As a supervisor and head of a department, you must never allow emotions to becloud your sense of following the company's policies as laid down . It will be counted against you by the management as dereliction of duty if you fail to report that crime. You're not being wicked if you do so. It is part of what you're being paid to do.

If you fail to act properly now,this incident may come to hunt you (your career) later. What you need to do is this: urgently make an official report of the incident and forward same to your own immediate supervisor to act on it. You can't afford to let this sleep on your own desk; it's dangerous ! Escalate it to a superior officer before it is too late man.

Be well guided !
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Worldbest281: 3:56pm On Mar 27, 2022
Please give him second chance
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Melonny(m): 4:14pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

I am confuse cos I don't even know how long he has been doing this shit.
Do the right thing. Report him to the management. Imagine he made away with the stolen items, when the auditors come and the calculations do not make sense, who will be accountable for it?
You've only caught him this time. He will get lucky some other times.
You should strengthen the internal controls too.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by elocas: 4:19pm On Mar 27, 2022
No CCTV for such big company.
It's a shame. Let them improve on their security
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by kilisi(m): 4:22pm On Mar 27, 2022
ajailer:

You are a very wise man!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Workforce Interview / Nigerian Navy Released List Of Candidates For Batch 27 Aptitude Test (photos) / NNPC Experienced Hire Recruitment: Coalition Calls On Buhari, NASS To Intervene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.