Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,798 members, 7,802,557 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:16 PM

UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 (12690 Views)

Help GTB Cleared My Account And My Account Balance Is Now In Debit / How To Check Your Bank Account Balance Using Your Mobile Phone / Checking Your GTBANK Account Balance Via SMS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by Remii(m): 12:51pm On Jul 03, 2011
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2011070312322431

The United Bank for Africa Plc will, from September, peg the minimum balance for savings and current accounts to N25, 000, an employee of the bank has confirmed.

The member of staff, who spoke to the News Agency of Nigeria on Friday in Abuja, on condition of anonymity, said the idea was aimed at decongesting the banking hall.

He said that the bank was supposed to start the implementation on July 1 but postponed it to enable it to effectively educate customers and allow them to grow their accounts to fit into the policy.

“We are supposed to start it today because a memo had already been passed for it only for us to come this morning to get an instruction that it has been postponed.’’

The source added that the idea was as a result of the Central Bank of Nigeria’s order for banks to be stabilised and support the cashless economy policy.

The source said many customers had complained about the decision and described it as discouraging.

“The management has decided and concluded on it but what they told us for now is that they will continue to finetune it.

“They said that the salaries and student accounts will not be affected; that it is accounts of business people, like market women, okada riders and all others that will be used for it now,’’ he said

Meanwhile, some customers, who spoke to NAN at UBA’s branch in Area 8, said that the decision to peg the minimum account balance at N25,000 was not good.

A market woman, Mrs. Edet Akpa, said, “I really don’t understand what they are saying but it will not be fair for them to do such a thing.

“N25,000, is too much when one is in need of money that minimum balance can go a long way to help. At least N5, 000, would have been better since it used to be N1,000 before.”

Also, a businessman, Mr. Johnson Edmund, said that for big businessmen, the money will not mean anything.

He said, “My fear is that with all these policies coming up and down, people will prefer to keep their money at home and save themselves of the stress.

“The Central Bank should think well so that we don’t encourage armed robberies at homes, we have moved away from it for some years now.

“This idea now may discourage saving culture that we are trying to build up in this country.”

A civil servant, Ms Agnes Udoh, said that banks should not support the policy but try to defend their customers more.

She said, “Everyday, Central Bank gives instruction and banks don’t even think about their customers before implementation. I am happy that they said that salary and students accounts are not involved.’’
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by MrGlobe(m): 2:05pm On Jul 03, 2011
Since the advent of this sanusi, it has been an era of dictatorship in banking. One order or the other that does not favor the masses or even the economy. Sanusi should know he is working for a public institution and not private. He should consider the entire masses before placing his military orders. He should take cue of the unburdensome tenure of soludo on the masses. Anyway, who still banks with Thief-B-A? There customers must be happy with their new order cos they didnt start their extortion today. Just pray other banks will remain them
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by 1money: 2:45pm On Jul 03, 2011
I no dey use UBA.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by lagoshost(m): 4:46pm On Jul 03, 2011
Sanusi has not done any good to the economy of this great country.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by 234GT(m): 10:51pm On Jul 03, 2011
UBA is the most useless bank in Nigeria. I am happy they came up with this policy as it will encourage their customers to close their accounts and the bank will be at the losing end. Useless Bank for Africa.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by Seun(m): 2:19pm On Jul 04, 2011
Isn't this sort of policy change a sign that the bank is in trouble?
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by GOZILLA(m): 2:26pm On Jul 04, 2011
Seun:

Isn't this sort of policy change a sign that the bank is in trouble?
Thought of that too.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by coded777: 2:32pm On Jul 04, 2011
Am closing account with them immediately.
Rubbish!
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by bigdoo: 2:38pm On Jul 04, 2011
Minimum account balance is N25,000.00 when minimum wage is N18,000.00? What a joke and who is fooling who?
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by jamest3(m): 2:38pm On Jul 04, 2011
With the current minimum wage at 5,500 a lot of people earning below 70,000 will find it difficult maintaining accounts with that bank. Here comes banking segregation between middle and lower class.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by born2boink(m): 2:47pm On Jul 04, 2011
Bleep bank
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by femmy2010(m): 2:49pm On Jul 04, 2011
So sad that people have to keep more than their minimum wage as minimum account balance.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by catso(m): 2:53pm On Jul 04, 2011
I don't see how this is going to work.
With 18k as minimum wage and CBN trying to create a cashless society which most salaries will be paid into bank account. Then hw will sm1 earning 18k withdraw his/her money?
It can't work,
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by oyewizzy(m): 2:55pm On Jul 04, 2011
very soon GSM company will introduce minimum balance
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by dustydee: 2:58pm On Jul 04, 2011
oye.wizzy:

grin grin
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by sley4life(m): 2:59pm On Jul 04, 2011
stu.pid act. Close yur acc with UBA. Do they want the customers to start robbery. Abeg if u av acc there with dough remove all. If u are expecting any wire halt it b4 u find urself in a mess
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by Cuteobi(f): 3:07pm On Jul 04, 2011
THIEVES angry
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by Bestglo(f): 3:09pm On Jul 04, 2011
Thank God i dont bank with them tongue
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 04, 2011
oye.wizzy:

Lol. Una no go kill person, you these funny Nigerians.

@ Topic,

I hope it is only UBA that would be s.t.u.p.id enough to implement this exploitative and unconscionable policy. My account with the bank has been dormant for 3 years anyway; I wouldn't even wish a horrific experience like UBA for my worst enemy. Very dull, useless bank that criminally deducts all sorts of 'hidden' charges from customers' accounts. I always laugh whenever I see Tony Elumelu parading himself about like some sort of Banking Whizkid. He should bury his bald head in shame for leaving a notoriously useless  legacy like UBA - Useless Bank of Africa.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by ismaeel86(m): 3:15pm On Jul 04, 2011
I bet its a joke. if they go ahead and implement it, the outcome will be disastrous.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by Suntemi(m): 3:21pm On Jul 04, 2011
Sincerely, I don't really know what's going on these days. I was at a GTBank in Ikeja today and a friend wants to open a savings account, he was told the new minimum initial deposit is 50,000 naira.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by crackhouse(m): 3:21pm On Jul 04, 2011
I think it is time to remove that man named sanusi, he is taking more than he can chew. GeJ are u sleeping?. Sanusi have overstayed his welcome in the banking industry he need to be shown the way out. From making nigeria a cash free country to this one. Everyday we keep on having new policy. Wetin nah
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by pepperoni(f): 3:25pm On Jul 04, 2011
UBA if dis is true den ime gun av to de-list u from my bank list.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by temmytanny(m): 3:27pm On Jul 04, 2011
I doubt if this can work in naija. SANUSI is killing the Banks,the people and the economy and GEJ is looking like say he no concern him.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by juman(m): 3:28pm On Jul 04, 2011
Hope there are reliable communities bank that poor people can bank with.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 04, 2011
Its like uba is broke and need cash. Lets assume they have 1million customers. Now multiply that by N25,000. Thats N25,000,000,000 free cash to invest and make money. I guess thats what they are after. Pls whats the interest on N25billion fixed deposit.

Are we sure the gatemen/security men at uba banks can meet that requirement.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by kevoh(m): 3:36pm On Jul 04, 2011
Not only UBA,Gtbank mararaba branch started this 25k minimum balance rubbish long before UBA implemented this don't know about the other branches across Nigeria though.anyway I'll still open my domicilliary account @ GTbank with or without the 25k minimum balance.
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 04, 2011
They want me to forget my uba account or i will just dash them. but i think it aint gonna work, wouldnt this make people stop banking with uba?
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by issyking: 3:43pm On Jul 04, 2011
out of reach for common man
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by success4(m): 3:48pm On Jul 04, 2011
UBA I dey laff ooooooooooo
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by Ournaija: 4:00pm On Jul 04, 2011
success4:

UBA I dey laff ooooooooooo

Bros abeg stop laffing, dis na serious mata, grin
Re: UBA Minimum Account Balance Now N25,000 by Olaisrich(m): 4:06pm On Jul 04, 2011
If it was a CBN directive,definately it's going to affect all the remaining banks!
pls any vital information with regards to GTB concerning this Sanusi nonsense?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Establishes Bank For Small And Medium Enterprises (smes) / Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. / Wait A Minute! There Is More To Know About Cooking Gas Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.