Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,413 members, 7,800,859 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) (53126 Views)

Tems Slammed For Her "Rude" View-Blocking Dress At The Oscars (video) / Will Smith Apologises To Chris Rock After Oscars Slap / 'I Never Joked With Money' - Beverly Osu Shares Her Epic Throwback Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by ayloveit: 4:32am On Mar 28, 2022
t Sunday night’s Oscar ceremony, Will Smith shocked the room by approaching the stage and slapping presenter Chris Rock in the face after the comedian made a joke about Smith’s wife, actor Jada Pinkett Smith.

Rock was on the Oscars stage presenting the category for best documentary. He began by making a few jokes about the audience members, including Pinkett Smith, referring to her as “G.I. Jane” due to her closely cropped hair. (Pinkett Smith has spoken in the past about her battle with alopecia.) Shortly after he made the joke, Smith walked to the stage and slapped Rock across the face. He then returned to his seat and shouted, “Keep my wife’s name out of your fucking mouth.”

At first, watching the telecast, it was unclear whether the assault was a planned bit. But the show’s audio immediately cut out after Smith slapped Rock, then stayed muted as Rock said “Will Smith just smacked the shit out of me” while Smith walked away. Smith then returned to his seat and shouted, “Keep my wife’s name out of your fucking mouth!”

“Wow, dude,” replied Rock “It was a G.I. Jane joke.”

Rock went on to present the documentary prize to Summer of Soul director Questlove. Immediately after, Sean “Diddy” Combs came onstage to introduce a clip montage celebrating the 50th anniversary of The Godfather. “I didn’t know that this year was going to be the most exciting Oscars ever!” he said. “Okay, Will, Chris—we’re going to solve that like family. But right now, we’re moving on with love.”

Per Vanity Fair’s Rebecca Ford, Denzel Washington pulled Smith to the side for a conversation after the exchange, kneeling alongside Pinkett Smith when the show returned from the commercial break. Tyler Perry also joined Washington and Smith during the commercial break. The Smiths, per Ford, have been holding hands since the assault occurred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myjEoDypUD8

An Academy librarian also confirmed to VF’s Joy Press that this was likely the first time there had been real violence onstage at the ceremony. However, this was not the first time Rock had made jokes about Pinkett Smith at the Oscars. During the 2016 ceremony, which Rock hosted, he poked fun at Pinkett Smith for famously boycotting that year’s ceremony. “Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties,” Rock said at the time. “I wasn’t invited.”

Smith is in attendance at this year’s Oscars competing for the best actor prize. He has been considered a front runner for months, thanks to his performance in the biopic King Richard.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by tillaman(m): 4:38am On Mar 28, 2022
sad
The joke was outta line because she’s battling alopecia but then Wills outburst is uncalled for, I believe he needs to watch roast sessions between celebrities
They can call you out on any thing, He just lost a fan Chris Rock showed good professionalism
Big ups Chris Rock

239 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by CoronaVirusPro: 4:42am On Mar 28, 2022
Well deserved!

Their are limits to jokes! Not just toying with peoples emotions and thinking it’s all a joke.

Can he try such joke with NY or Chiraq drill rappers?

When life sees you weak, it throws shiit at you. He saw will as a gentleman and why he had the effrontery.

So happy Will could come out of his emotions and deliver it right on that fvcking stage he was spewing gibberish!

And to top it up, He still bagged a award

198 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by Freestainworld(m): 4:47am On Mar 28, 2022
People needs to respect other people's privacy sometimes, silly jokes are not always silly.

136 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by Nobody: 4:50am On Mar 28, 2022
Will Smith is a no-nonsense dude. He once slapped a press guy for kissing him.

But that said, comedians and others who make jokes at other people's expense should know their "jokes" are insults dressed in makeup.

Everyone is sensitive to insulting jokes, including those who smile or laugh. Most just let it slide, until it gets to a point they can't anymore. In this case, Mrs. Smith has alopecia, which is a medical condition that causes hair loss.

I remember something like this happened between Helen and another comedian at an AY Live show a few years ago.

97 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by Totilopussylick(m): 5:01am On Mar 28, 2022
Bianca slap treading world wide tongue

276 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by saintokwuluora(m): 5:09am On Mar 28, 2022
Slap should be declared a weapon of mass destruction, it's in everybody's hand.

93 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by Millimann: 5:29am On Mar 28, 2022
This is indeed the season of slaps.

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by chiedu7: 5:31am On Mar 28, 2022
Will Smith is showing his thug side.

This is the year of famous slaps by the famous

1st it was Bianca slapping sense into Mrs Obiano

Now we have Will Smith behaving like a thug slapping Chris Rock for joke

Bianca's slap to me is still tops

68 Likes

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by Hublot1: 6:13am On Mar 28, 2022
I love this! When you're slapped, don't complain and wait for your wig to be readjusted, just step aside so that someone else can be slapped , period!

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by NwaAmaikpe: 6:26am On Mar 28, 2022
shocked

Simps will always be simps. Ever ready to take a bullet for and defend the woman who is ever ready to gobble up another preek.
Will Smith himself laughed at the damn joke, till he noticed Jada wasn't cool with it.

So he had to play hero to a woman who has never gotten over her obsession with Tupac Shakur. A woman who does not in any way cherish her marriage to him.

A woman whom all he has done to all their marriage is to plead with to remain put with him.

So he had this type of energy, yet his wife chose to fvck his child's friend and won't have let go of him till the small boy shamed her for her preek neediness.

He had this energy and he couldn't slap sense into Jada's head when she was proudly admitting her entanglement with August Alsina on their round table talk.

He had this type of energy and he can't discipline his kids who would rather write a dead Tupac Shakur letters chronicling how their mom has remained perpetually unhappy without him and how they wish he was their father.

Will Smith, if you like slap John Cena, the world will forever consider you a simp.
It's a shame that a man as hot as Will will go through shit, go beserk and do bizarre stuffs just to get the validation of the unrepentant cougar he happily calls wife.

He was at least honest enough to admit that "love will make you do crazy things" meaning he did this to earn her love; to earn the love of a slut.
Shame on him.

At this rate, I won't be shocked if one day I read that Will put a bullet through his own skull because if this isn't a trip to rock bottom, then I wonder what is.
This is what happens when a man marries the wrong woman, or when a man thinks he can convert the affection a woman has for another man.

Once you start out begging a woman to love you, you spend the rest of your life in pure agony, because love can never be forced, bought or begged for.

I expect Chris Rock to do what is right and press charges ASAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O95hS3bf9i4

596 Likes 59 Shares

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by RapistOnBail: 6:26am On Mar 28, 2022

Wife wey dey Entangle the Mugu.

66 Likes

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by Perfecttouchade: 6:27am On Mar 28, 2022
grin they are just acting cheesy smith just did that ?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by vastolord4(m): 6:27am On Mar 28, 2022
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Even u sef shock.. ok no comments as well

2 Likes

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by SmartPolician: 6:28am On Mar 28, 2022
Will Smith is not a fulfilled man because he married a wrong woman - the biggest mistake a man can make.

148 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by SarakiBukola: 6:29am On Mar 28, 2022
grin

I can bet it is a stunt to promote Will Smith's acting skills...

But he's dished out a genuine slap before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cBRfjcY9SQ

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by SmartyPants(m): 6:30am On Mar 28, 2022
Such a clown

2 Likes

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by Nobody: 6:30am On Mar 28, 2022
I love Chris Rock’s comportment and maturity. It was just a joke. People make jokes of everything. Yeah! We should learn to draw the line but then we should also learn never to show anger in public.

80 Likes

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by Skyfornia(m): 6:30am On Mar 28, 2022
Real orstaged!?

3 Likes

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by Administration1: 6:30am On Mar 28, 2022
I was watching all through and I can only say that Chris acted professionally no retaliation, and sorts...
But Will is dumb for doing that though, he was initially laughing at the joke till his wife's face changed and he decided to act unprofessional and like a tout, he lost my respect though. Why not wait till when you're goan give a speech and banter it out. Anyway, that how bad boys roll

109 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by DenreleDave(m): 6:30am On Mar 28, 2022
New world order

Always slap the host of a program so as to get an award grin grin grin grin grin

I'm sure if will hadn't slap him, he wunt have won the award

litigator:
I love Chris Rock’s comportment and maturity. It was just a joke. People make jokes of everything. Yeah! We should learn to draw the line but then we should also learn never to show anger in public.

Not every deserved to be joked about.... Not supporting will but sumtin, person mouth dey put am for trouble

8 Likes

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by Obagofixxy: 6:30am On Mar 28, 2022
Biancaful slap though

5 Likes

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by alsudan: 6:30am On Mar 28, 2022
Staged

3 Likes

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by Romanoff(f): 6:30am On Mar 28, 2022
As Will should.

The look on John Legend and Ryan Reynolds face is priceless.

8 Likes

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by sotall(m): 6:30am On Mar 28, 2022
cool
Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by AroleOduduwa2: 6:31am On Mar 28, 2022
Wokeness has ruin the world. I miss the good old days, nowadays, we only talk about people who are confused about their identity.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by Bestbeelieve: 6:31am On Mar 28, 2022
ouch! slap season. i better watch my back.....sorry face!!!

4 Likes

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by beejaay: 6:31am On Mar 28, 2022
First the slap was an assault and Smith should be sued.. It's America not Nigeria except maybe the famous and rich have other laws.
The movie GI Jane portrayed the woman Chris compared Jada to as a strong resilient woman that will follow her mind and soul to achieve that she want which means it was actually a compliment.. Infact Smith was laughing at first until he saw the look on jada's face and I doubt Chris is aware Jada has alopecia..

53 Likes

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by boolet: 6:32am On Mar 28, 2022
Good job Will Smith!

beejaay:
First the slap was an assault and Smith should be sued.. It's America not Nigeria except maybe the famous and rich have other laws.
The movie GI Jane portrayed the woman Chris compared Jada to as a strong resilient woman that will follow her mind and soul to achieve that she want which means it was actually a compliment.. Infact Smith was laughing at first until he saw the look on jada's face and I doubt Chris is aware Jada has alopecia..
Well, there is something known as verbal assault, and that is Will Smith's alibi.

NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Will Smith, if you like slap John Cena, the world will forever consider you a simp.

Simp or not, he put a bully in his place.

16 Likes

Re: Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock After He Joked About His Wife At The Oscars (Video) by Nobody: 6:32am On Mar 28, 2022
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

So he had this type of energy, yet his wife chose to fvck his child's friend.

He had this energy and he couldn't slap sense into her head when she was proudly admitting her entanglement with August Alsina on their round table talk.

For once, I agree with you.

He should press charges and get a couple of millions. Will Smith has no defense.

46 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Rita Daniels: Regina Daniels' Mother Blasted On Instagram Over Daughter Marriage / Ooni Of Ife Receives 2face And Wife, Annie At His Palace, 2face Sings For Them / Bolanle Ninalowo And Joro Olumofin Storm Shoprite Ikeja For Infinix (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.