Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,999 members, 7,806,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:45 AM

Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow (11462 Views)

Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? / I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed / What I Learnt From Leaving My Teaching Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by paranoidfellow: 7:33pm On Mar 28, 2022
It actually a not so funny story.

So I worked at a private school 8am - 2pm for a pay of 17k monthly. I was employed to work as an Agric and Economics teacher. Payment is always prompt and I'm never owed a salary. Few weeks after I resumed, a teacher left and her subjects was distributed to other teachers. Hence, I am taking 3 subjects now. The teacher that left was also a class teacher of JSS1.

Fast forward to today, after exams where the class teacher will be collating scores, I was told I will henceforth be the class teacher of Jss1 which I outrightly reject. The proprietor was called upon and to quote him, he said ' Authoritatively I'm making you the class of JSS1" and I replied that I reject it.

I got home angrily and hungrily, I put a cup of rice on fire and I called a colleague of mine on whatsapp and was discussing the issue with her. I got carried away and the pot of rice was extremely burnt.

In the bid to remove the pot from fire, not thinking straight, I took the 'new school sport wear' (a cloth we were forced to buy for 6k and the money will be deducted from our salary) that I left hanging in the dining room, outside minded I use the cloth to carry the hot burnt pot of rice.

The result has being attached.

I'm walking to the man tomorrow to terminate my appointment immediately and pay me my remaining salary!

I don't joke with my mental health

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by immortalcrown(m): 7:34pm On Mar 28, 2022
Paranoidfellow indeed. Good luck. You get anger issue joor. Na de man put rice for fire for your house abi na him you follow dey talk when de rice burn? Him provoke you for school you carry de vex go house. Na your type go punish your spouse for offense wey colleague commit for office.

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by ProDigitals: 7:36pm On Mar 28, 2022
Come work with/for me

Get a chance to work and earn 50,000 Naira by just working from home every month

Offering :

Earn 50,000 Naira writing articles working from home

This project is flexible for full time workers. Just 3-4 hours of work activity per day is all you need to do this

Hurry up and apply today

Send in your application via WhatsApp to 0-7-0-5-4-0-1-1-4-5-4

It's strictly on first come,first serve basis..

Good Luck

8 Likes

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Bestiee01(f): 7:39pm On Mar 28, 2022
I always say private sch teaching is modern day slavery.imagine teaching two subjects with atleast 30 students and ur salary is 17k.beta enta street and hustle,bro.atleast u will know u are working for urself,even if na 5k u dey see at the end of the month

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Kylekent59: 7:42pm On Mar 28, 2022
I hope you don't go hungry after you have exhausted your savings. Look for another job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Vaughanlanrewaj: 7:56pm On Mar 28, 2022
@ OP, I think, like your moniker, you are getting paranoid and you allowed things to spiral out of your control.
Even if you quit tonight,I guarantee you that the school will still continue. You handle children and you can do better with your emotion.
Next time, instead of repeating your negative "I reject it", you can politely request for a meeting where you can ask for the extra tasks you may have to undertake and if there is monetary compensation that comes with it.

If you are a committed teacher, you will take that opportunity and prove that you are competent.
I will not encourage you to listen to anyone making you feel that your pay is horrible, it is money earned legitimately which comes with its own blessings. It does not give you the opportunity to disrespect your employer.
Like I always tell my people, the way you exit an organization is even more important than how you joined the organization.Things are changing and you will be shocked that if you leave in a disrespectful and unprofessional manner,it could later cost you in the future wink

You need to be calming down and if there are serious issues on your mind, seek help on them. These your reasons are not a big deal. Take up the extra task and help those young fellas if you are truly a teacher(Guru as Indians affectionately regard teachers).
As time goes on, more opportunities will come your way, if you struggle to always go or do extra, you will be regarded as mediocre,especially in highly competivie high paying environment.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by paranoidfellow: 8:02pm On Mar 28, 2022
immortalcrown:
Paranoidfellow indeed. Good luck. You get anger issue joor. Na de man put rice for fire for your house abi na him you follow dey talk when de rice burn? Him provoke you for school you carry de vex go house. Na your type go punish your spouse for offense wey colleague commit for office.

You might be right. The fact remains it affected me.
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by paranoidfellow: 8:03pm On Mar 28, 2022
Kylekent59:
I hope you don't go hungry after you have exhausted your savings. Look for another job.

I won't, thanks.
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by paranoidfellow: 8:07pm On Mar 28, 2022
Vaughanlanrewaj:
@ OP, I think, like your moniker, you are getting paranoid and you allowed things to spiral out of your control.
Even if you quit tonight,I guarantee you that the school will still continue. You handle children and you can do better with your emotion.
Next time, instead of repeating your negative "I reject it", you can politely request for a meeting where you can ask for the extra tasks you may have to undertake and if there is monetary compensation that comes with it.

If you are a committed teacher, you will take that opportunity and prove that you are competent.
I will not encourage you to listen to anyone making you feel that your pay is horrible, it is money earned legitimately which comes with its own blessings. It does not give you the opportunity to disrespect your employer.
Like I always tell my people, the way you exit an organization is even more important than how you joined the organization.Things are changing and you will be shocked that if you leave in a disrespectful and unprofessional manner,it could later cost you in the future wink

You need to be calming down and if there are serious issues on your mind, seek help on them. These your reasons are not a big deal. Take up the extra task and help those young fellas if you are truly a teacher(Guru as Indians affectionately regard teachers).
As time goes on, more opportunities will come your way, if you struggle to always go or do extra, you will be regarded as mediocre,especially in highly competivie high paying environment.

Thank you very much. One of the reason I posted it, to wonder if I'm on the right or just overthinking the issue. I can stay but I won't take up the extra work. I really appreciate your input and I see things from another point of view. I mean it, your words had an impact and I'm grateful for that.

23 Likes

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Vaughanlanrewaj: 8:21pm On Mar 28, 2022
paranoidfellow:

Thank you very much. One of the reason I posted it, to wonder if I'm on the right or just overthinking the issue. I can stay but I won't take up the extra work. I really appreciate your input and I see things from another point of view. I mean it, your words had an impact and I'm grateful for that.
You are welcome sir. I wish you all the best in life.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by illicit(m): 11:11pm On Mar 28, 2022
Pls quit now and get something better doing

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Contekbbc: 5:07am On Mar 29, 2022
paranoidfellow:

So I worked at a private school 8am - 2pm for a pay of 17k monthly. I was employed to work as an Agric and Economics teacher. Payment is always prompt and I'm never owed a salary. Few weeks after I resumed, a teacher left and her subjects was distributed to other teachers. Hence, I am taking 3 subjects now. The teacher that left was also a class teacher of JSS1.

Fast forward to today, after exams where the class teacher will be collating scores, I was told I will henceforth be the class teacher of Jss1 which I outrightly reject. The proprietor was called upon and to quote him, he said ' Authoritatively I'm making you the class of JSS1" and I replied that I reject it.

I got home angrily and hungrily, I put a cup of rice on fire and I called a colleague of mine on whatsapp and was discussing the issue with her. I got carried away and the pot of rice was extremely burnt.

In the bid to remove the pot from fire, not thinking straight, I took the 'new school sport wear' (a cloth we were forced to buy for 6k and the money will be deducted from our salary) that I left hanging in the dining room, outside minded I use the cloth to carry the hot burnt pot of rice.

I'm walking to the man tomorrow to terminate my appointment immediately and pay me my remaining salary!

May you find help IJMN!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Oyindamolah: 1:40pm On Mar 29, 2022
A reputable Day and Boarding School with headquarters in Akobo area of Ibadan, Oyo State, is recruiting suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:

Job Title:
House Mistress
House Master
Subject teachers

Requirement
Candidates should possess relevant qualifications.
Benefit
There's FREE accommodation

How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV's to: mbahengwariconstane@gmail.com Or abrahamprecious@yahoo.com
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Dialpad: 1:40pm On Mar 29, 2022
Start something meaningful, there lots of opportunities online
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by MathewOG(m): 1:41pm On Mar 29, 2022
ok
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Nobody: 1:42pm On Mar 29, 2022
Learn defi

This is slavery
Money wey no reach $40

5 Likes

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Oyindamolah: 1:42pm On Mar 29, 2022
You could ala try crypto by joining m y c r y p t o n g on telegram
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:43pm On Mar 29, 2022
You are on the right track. The job is slavery.

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by harmargedon: 1:43pm On Mar 29, 2022
tongue
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by optimistD(m): 1:43pm On Mar 29, 2022
Hope you have already made plans on how to survive after your resignation. Don’t be too haste even if I understood your anger. I’m not an advocate of working grudgingly, but you have to understand and be ready for what you are going into.
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by backnbeta(f): 1:43pm On Mar 29, 2022
You can quit because of excess workload, but the burnt rice and wasted 6k sportswear is your fault! Quit and move on

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Aplaudez(m): 1:43pm On Mar 29, 2022
Calm down sir, I feel your pain, I'm once a secondary teacher, they're really crazy set of people especially those mission schools or those pastor owned school, they'll frustrate your existence, I once work with a pastor Mrs school, this woman doesn't pay December salary, she actually pend it till mid January of the next month, I've been in the school for 3 terms the day she annoyed me was the day she said I should write my exam questions in the 2a book I'm taking 3courses o jss 1 through 3, plus data processing for ss1, I told her bluntly that I can't subject myself to that kind of stress, I told her I have soft copies on my phone, she said no, I went to thier school system and deleted all my questions, then I left, she Thought I was joking.

See bro, calm down, so that you'll get paid for the little you've done, God bless you sir.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by DigitalStepdad: 1:44pm On Mar 29, 2022
Teeshas are suffering.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by elmagnifico411(m): 1:44pm On Mar 29, 2022
Do u live in Lagos? If Yes, how have u been able to cope with the 17k salary? I think u really joke with your mental health cos I can't see how someone with 17k salary wouldnt have a mental break down. That us way too bad! Leave that school!
paranoidfellow:

2 Likes

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by judedwriter(m): 1:44pm On Mar 29, 2022
Ironically, school teachers are supposed to be paid the highest, but they are among the lowest paid in this noblest of noble professions undecided

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Obiorahpcfg: 1:45pm On Mar 29, 2022
Contact me for real estate biz and u won't regret it
0808 829 5668
Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by SILVERLINES: 1:45pm On Mar 29, 2022
paranoidfellow:

bro start a business of your own, you will enjoy it later

1 Like

Re: Why I Would Be Quiting My Teaching Job Tomorrow by Dshocker(m): 1:46pm On Mar 29, 2022
paranoidfellow:

17k in this Buhari era?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Assures Customs Officers Of Salary Increment- Adeoson / How To Approach Your Boss For A Raise (Salary) / When Is The Right Time To Take A Career Break?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.