Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? (1381 Views)

Why Is Christianity So Divided? / I Am A Catholic Priest, But I Wish ‘nigerian Christianity’ Dead And Buried / Is Daddy Freeze The Problem With Nigerian Christianity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by HappyPagan: 11:40pm On Mar 28, 2022
Fighting demons and spiritual enemies is all they know. Simple Christian values like love, kindness, honesty, integrity mean nothing to them.

Very aggressive set of folks... A church opens on your street, and the next thing is to dominate the airwaves... No peace for the residents anymore.

Morning, afternoon, night... Those church drums must be played. The microphones will be connected to speakers so loud, you'd think their Lord God was dead or deaf.

Did Jesus die in Israel for you to be repeating the same old songs and prayers, reciting praise and worship songs like a choreographed performance.. same yesterday, today, and forever.

at the name of Jesus, all brains die. Common sense and thinking is thrown out the window.. after all, to them, the brain is carnal. There's this constant urge to reject new information, to hold on to old long dead teachings and ideas.

I hope Rapture happens soon and takes all of them away to heaven. Maybe, earth would finally be peaceful... Because I definitely do not want to so share a space with a God who leads such simple fellows.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by Kestolove(m): 11:44pm On Mar 28, 2022
My brother pls lets respect each other beliefs, the world will be a better place..#Shaloom
Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by HappyPagan: 11:49pm On Mar 28, 2022
Kestolove:
My brother pls lets respect each other beliefs, the world will be a better place..#Shaloom
"March am March am Satan don fall for gutter, March am march am'
Do you respect the Satanists when you sing this song?

'All other Gods, na soso yeye'
Is this respectful to other people's religions?

These are a few songs repeated regularly at most church services across the country. Maybe, maybe, if Christians showed 'the sinners' a little respect, maybe there wouldn't be a need for this thread.

Why would Jesus advice you to pray in your cupboard, then you go and buy microphones and speakers to disturb someone's sleep...

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by Kestolove(m): 1:16am On Mar 29, 2022
HappyPagan:

These are a few songs repeated regularly at most church services across the country. Maybe, maybe, if Christians showed 'the sinners' a little respect, maybe there wouldn't be a need for this thread.

Why would Jesus advice you to pray in your cupboard, then you go and buy microphones and speakers to disturb someone's sleep...
Abeg no vex, my problem now na money i need, u fit help?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by 9182736455O1999(m): 1:19am On Mar 29, 2022
HappyPagan:

Comrade, she came in peace, why resort to vawulence

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by HappyPagan: 5:07am On Mar 29, 2022
Kestolove:
Abeg no vex, my problem now na money i need, u fit help?
Ok. Go and find another thread to beg. I'm sorry I can't help you.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by HappyPagan: 5:07am On Mar 29, 2022
9182736455O1999:

Comrade, she came in peace, why resort to vawulence
I don tire.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by HappyPagan: 7:06am On Mar 29, 2022
Lalasticlala, seun, please consider this for frontpage.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by HappyPagan: 12:26pm On Mar 30, 2022
HappyPagan:
Lalasticlala, seun, please consider this for frontpage.
Bump.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by KnownUnknown: 12:51pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because Christianity is inherently backwards. In more saner climes than Nigeria, the deplorable and despicable creatures are mostly Christian or whatever manner of religious malady they consider their faith.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by 1Sharon(f): 1:22pm On Mar 30, 2022
KnownUnknown:
Because Christianity is inherently backwards. In more saner climes than Nigeria, the deplorable and despicable creatures are mostly Christian or whatever manner of religious malady they consider their faith.

If you go into a European church the atmosphere is completely different. They don't emphasise money like Nigerians do and service is over within a flash.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by KnownUnknown: 1:41pm On Mar 30, 2022
1Sharon:

If you go into a European church the atmosphere is completely different. They don't emphasise money like Nigerians do and service is over within a flash.

The atmosphere might be different but the strain of self righteous ignorance is the same.
I have no experience about everything Europe but I know America. Before oyedepo and adeboye told a single lie about the jew god and his bastard son, white American preachers were getting rich of the “prosperity gospel”. They are even greedier and more demented than the Nigerian clerics.

The ones that don’t emphasize money are too busy advocating for one form of bigotry or the other. Smug imbeciles are always trying to justify ignorance based on their “deeply held faith”.

Back to Europe. No offense, but I think you are a little blinded by the delusion called white supremacy. Why do I say so? Because, European Christianity is a history of avarice and bloodshed. They don’t emphasize money but the Catholic Church has a bank. They don’t emphasize wealth but a substantial amount of European wealth was is stolen from other places by white Christians.

Their atmosphere is only different because they are not as hungry as the average Nigerian. A white baptist in America doesn’t emphasize wealth the same way as a black Christian but the the smug bastards are greedier and more deplorable than their black counterparts. They are also the ones who would advocate for military spending but would be reluctant to fund government programs to supplement child welfare just because it would benefit “others”. I wouldn’t piss on them to put out a fire!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by budaatum: 1:58pm On Mar 30, 2022
Church of England was formed for two reasons. The first was Henry's desire to divorce his Catholic wife which the Catholic Church forbade. The second was to free himself from under the thumb of the pope. A third reason would be a young beautiful interesting girl and his diq. There's always an Eve, after all.

Church of England insists on the eating of the fruits of trees of the knowledge of good and evil, for they have eaten and found that you shall not surely die, but instead learn to "Be fertile and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it. Have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and all the living things that move on the earth", and through all that work, be blessed by God. That is why they pretty much were the foundation of UK's education system, along with other protestant churches, and lots of our own early schools, to feed their students fruits of knowledge of good and evil.

We blame others for our misunderstanding of what we read. The Church of England does not, in my opinion, believe the Bible, though you'd find lots of congregants who do, but the churches are pretty empty these days, as they found better ways than church to teach each other, which Nigeria hasn't yet discovered and wouldn't until we understand what, Let there be Light, means for us.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by atheistandproud(m): 2:23pm On Mar 30, 2022
Very enlightening. Keep the thread going.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by KnownUnknown: 2:32pm On Mar 30, 2022
budaatum:

That is why they pretty much were the foundation of UK's education system, along with other protestant churches, and lots of our own early schools, to feed their students fruits of knowledge of good and evil.

I don’t know what they did or did not do in the UK but to be praising them for what they did elsewhere is absurd. Nay, beyond absurd. What education?

Their goal was exploitation hence the so called education was to ensure the pliability of their victims and it’s apparent to those that can see through the facade.

A major goal of this education was to force the indigenous population to accept English culture and whatever the Church of England considered Christianity. Therefore, teaching would have consisted of little more than instruction in Christianity along with basic reading and writing. Magic and basic reading and writing so that the wealth can flow to England.

Religious education is the gift that keep on giving because it retards the intellect.

e.g. there was a video of a celebrity’s child praying for her sick mother. Here is a 3 year old child that is already being inculcated with nonsense at an early age. This belief in magical thinking is harmful to the development of the intellect especially when it forms the foundation of peoples education. That is the gift of Christianity and religious mumbo jumbo. People are being miseducated from birth and when they age it’s too late to teach the old dog new tricks. Nigeria is filled with adult versions of that three year old.

In a properly educated society, all these religious stories would be told in Cultural Studies classes. Heck, your interpretation of Adam and Eve can even be taught to motivate the girl child.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:48pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because they're not true Christians! smiley
Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by KnownUnknown: 3:09pm On Mar 30, 2022
Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by Oyinlomobambam(m): 3:38pm On Mar 30, 2022
HappyPagan:

This is so funny, but it's the pure truth
Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by Oyinlomobambam(m): 3:40pm On Mar 30, 2022
1Sharon:

Poverty... 95% are poor
Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by budaatum: 5:24pm On Mar 30, 2022
KnownUnknown:

Their goal was exploitation hence the so called education was to ensure the pliability of their victims and it’s apparent to those that can see through the facade.

A major goal of this education was to force the indigenous population to accept English culture and whatever the Church of England considered Christianity. Therefore, teaching would have consisted of little more than instruction in Christianity along with basic reading and writing. Magic and basic reading and writing so that the wealth can flow to England.
I laugh whenever I see the above written in English.which is as a result of the education your parents bought for you instead of in your native language. I bet you'd buy the same English education for your children too.

Christianity was like the rider on the horse called English language it rode in on, which bought lots of foreign ideology along with it including cars and iPhones, and if you really see it as exploitation, which it partly was no doubt, write it in non-english so I know you are not pliable

As for magic, we had JuJu before church came, and it was easy for our foreparents to believe what they could hardly read. We don't have their excuse to read a book and ignorantly believe it if we properly educate ourselves so that, "all these religious stories would be told in Cultural Studies classes".

KnownUnknown:

Heck, your interpretation of Adam and Eve can even be taught to motivate the girl child.
Can be, or, is? Is it also not taught to motivate not believing, but to acquire knowledge so you may know and live at least a little bit longer than ignorant people are likely to?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by budaatum: 5:36pm On Mar 30, 2022
KnownUnknown:
The kids of this generation are supposed to be smarter, but that does not reflect in their academic activities, especially in Nigeria.
https://www.nairaland.com/7054401/continuous-decline-critical-thinking-among#111499529
Good read. The above is a flaw in reasoning.

Why are the kids of this generation supposed to be smarter when the quality of the education they have been given has noticeably deteriorated over the years with reduced funding, inexperienced corpers as their main teachers and church/mosque as the schools? Was some God supposed to suppose it for us, perhaps, while we sit on our asses praying for smarter to fall into our heads from heaven?

Can you see how pervasive our magical thinking is?

It's our education system, one we've been in charge of for a long while now, so it's rather lazy to blame the colonisers for exploiting us when we've been in charge of exploiting ourselves for so long.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by KnownUnknown: 5:39pm On Mar 30, 2022
budaatum:

Good read. The above is a flaw in reasoning.

Why are the kids of this generation supposed to be smarter when the quality of the education they have been given has noticeably deteriorated over the years with reduced funding, inexperienced orpers as their main teachers and church/mosque as the schools? Was some God supposed to suppose it for us, perhaps, while we sit on our asses praying for smarter to fall into our heads from heaven?

Can you see how pervasive our magical thinking is?

It's our education system, one we've been in charge of for a long while now, so it's rather lazy to blame the colonisers for exploiting us when we've been in charge of exploiting ourselves for so long.

Lmao. Did you just make up stuff to argue against?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by budaatum: 5:47pm On Mar 30, 2022
KnownUnknown:

Lmao. Did you just make up stuff to argue against?

Did I make up what I based it on? Is having a different perspective to yours, "make up stuff to argue against"? You may want to see it that way, Unknown. But to do so, you'd have to completely disregard where we may agree.

Nothing is "supposed" to be any how if you, or rather, we, don't make things how we want them to be, unless we expect some God to come down and magically make it so for us.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by KnownUnknown: 5:57pm On Mar 30, 2022
budaatum:

I laugh whenever I see the above written in English.which is as a result of the education your parents bought for you instead of in your native language. I bet you'd buy the same English education for your children too.

Christianity was like the rider on the horse called English language it rode in on, which bought lots of foreign ideology along with it including cars and iPhones, and if you really see it as exploitation, which it partly was no doubt, write it in non-english so I know you are not pliable

So, because the lingua franca is English and I communicate in English means they was no exploitation of the colonies by the British? The basic education they gave to the colonies is beyond criticism because of iPhones and cars?
I’m supposed to venerate the English/church of England like you do just because of the English language. I wonder how people got educated before your almighty English.

budaatum:

As for magic, we had JuJu before church came, and it was easy for our foreparents to believe what they could hardly read. We don't have their excuse to read a book and ignorantly believe it if we properly educate ourselves so that, "all these religious stories would be told in Cultural Studies classes".

Of course it was easy for them to believe when the faith came with violence. But how would you educate yourselves when the nonsense is pervasive and venerated from the earliest age? How would their descendants abandon white juju when they have placed the “English” on a pedestal?

budaatum:

Can be, or, is? Is it also not taught to motivate to not believing, but to acquire knowledge so you may know and live at least a little bit longer than ignorant people are likely to?

Maybe in your mind it’s taught to motivate to not believing, whatever than means, but in reality it’s taught as the precursor of a another tale and the reason for certain unavoidable things.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by KnownUnknown: 6:38pm On Mar 30, 2022
budaatum:

Nothing is "supposed" to be any how if you, or rather, we, don't make things how we want them to be.

It will be like planting a seed that will turn into a tree with shade you will never sit under. That’s the aim because the present and near future are lost.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by budaatum: 6:53pm On Mar 30, 2022
KnownUnknown:

So, because the lingua franca is English and I communicate in English means they was no exploitation of the colonies by the British? The basic education they gave to the colonies is beyond criticism because of iPhones and cars?
I’m supposed to venerate the English/church of England like you do just because of the English language. I wonder how people got educated before your almighty English.
Venerate, you say? Well, Known, just listen to us. We speak in that language, and communicate in that language, so don't you think we kind of worship that language too? Or perhaps we got that thing from Stockholm that makes one cling to one's exploiter?

I'm not going to argue with you how people got educated before the English you and I were educated in and don't seem likely to ever want to abandon for any other language, but I feel you'd agree that a lot more information for us to learn about and from has flowed to us in that almighty language than any other language, and we'd be a bit dumber otherwise. Compare English learning Nigeria to Arabic learning Nigeria please before you argue otherwise.

KnownUnknown:

Of course it was easy for them to believe when the faith came with violence. But how would you educate yourselves when the nonsense is pervasive and venerated from the earliest age? How would their descendants abandon white juju when they have placed the “English” on a pedestal?
So, your argument is, we were forced from an early age and we can not abandon it because "they have placed the “English” on a pedestal"?

So, us nko? Can we too now not abandon whatever we need to abandon, or are we too forcing ourselves to accept it with violence?

I must declare myself fortunate here I guess. The first gods I learnt about were straight out of Homer and no one was required to believe it since critical thinking was in the baby milk like fortified vitamins. Just saying.

KnownUnknown:

Maybe in your mind it’s taught to motivate to not believing, whatever than means, but in reality it’s taught as the precursor of a another tale and the reason for certain unavoidable things.
To wit, Paul might have written, 'when I was a child, I was taught as a child to think like a child and be dumb as a child, then I grew up and started teaching myself to learn to use my own mind', but of course he never.

I am not taught, unknown. I learn. And to critically reason and think, I'd say. And the funniest thing is independent unbrainwashed use your own mind people like me is what your posts promote, as opposed to merely believing what one reads.

You believe it's taught as what you see it being taught around you, which I agree is mostly, on the day you eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall surely die. Over in UK where it came from they learn that the fruits of trees of knowledge are desirable for food, good for gaining wisdom and for opening eyes and elongating life. It's why critical thinking is on their primary school curriculum and religion itself is taught in cultural studies. They don't "suppose" there might be light. They learn to put the light on, as they have learnt from the "tale" as we too must one day learn instead of merely ignorantly believing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by budaatum: 7:06pm On Mar 30, 2022
KnownUnknown:

It will be like planting a seed that will turn into a tree with shade you will never sit under. That’s the aim because the present and near future are lost.

Some farmers plant maize and reap a crop in three months. Some farmers plant yam and reap in 9, while some wait for three years before harvesting their yam, though not now with thieves and all. Some farmers plant cocoa and wait 5-12 years for a crop, while some plant olives that they know will never produce fruit in their lifetime.

If we do not plant seeds now and instead keep relying on the uncritical magical JuJu thinking of "suppose", or are discouraged because of the likely unfortunacy of us never sitting in the shade of the tree we plant, it will only keep getting hotter and there will still not be a tree to provide shade for the future.

And that's why you are here, Unknown. You are sowing the seeds of a tree to provide the shade in the future.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by kingyakos: 10:09pm On Mar 30, 2022
HappyPagan:
Fighting demons and spiritual enemies is all they know. Simple Christian values like love, kindness, honesty, integrity mean nothing to them.

Very aggressive set of folks... A church opens on your street, and the next thing is to dominate the airwaves... No peace for the residents anymore.

Morning, afternoon, night... Those church drums must be played. The microphones will be connected to speakers so loud, you'd think their Lord God was dead or deaf.

Did Jesus die in Israel for you to be repeating the same old songs and prayers, reciting praise and worship songs like a choreographed performance.. same yesterday, today, and forever.

at the name of Jesus, all brains die. Common sense and thinking is thrown out the window.. after all, to them, the brain is carnal. There's this constant urge to reject new information, to hold on to old long dead teachings and ideas.

I hope Rapture happens soon and takes all of them away to heaven. Maybe, earth would finally be peaceful... Because I definitely do not want to so share a space with a God who leads such simple fellows.

So you think all this nonsense from churches from Monday to Sunday is Christianity, no it's not. From the biggest or richest church to the smallest or poorest church you know, even the ones stationed in every 10kilometer like their G O promised, non of them is practicing Christianity. By their fruit they're known and check the fruit they bring forth and compare it with the fruit of Christ, check the beauty of the Church and compare it with the beauty of Christ the difference is quite clear.
Christ talked about famine and not famine of what to eat or what to drink but famine of a sound doctrine.
Many have been hypnotized through religion and chain to it, blind with gross darkness while Christianity is freedom and light and they still can't understand it, even Christ himself said that he is not in the Church.
I don't go to church because God is not there and I don't believe in church, my believe is so long there's a creation there's a creator and I seek for him and found him and I saw him in the form in which everyone that has seen him saw him (the pillar of light).
Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by HappyPagan: 11:34pm On Mar 30, 2022
kingyakos:

So you think all this nonsense from churches from Monday to Sunday is Christianity, no it's not. From the biggest or richest church to the smallest or poorest church you know, even the ones stationed in every 10kilometer like their G O promised, non of them is practicing Christianity.

If it is not Christianity, what is it? A bad apple is not a mango.

By their fruit they're known and check the fruit they bring forth and compare it with the fruit of Christ, check the beauty of the Church and compare it with the beauty of Christ the difference is quite clear.
Now, I don't know who Christ is and I don't really care. I think an African should be sourcing his values from better men, but to each his own.
There's nothing beautiful about the story of Christ.. just an ugly story of an unforgiving father and an unfortunate son.

Christ talked about famine and not famine of what to eat or what to drink but famine of a sound doctrine.
Many have been hypnotized through religion and chain to it, blind with gross darkness while Christianity is freedom and light and they still can't understand it, even Christ himself said that he is not in the Church.
You seem to be suffering from the same issue I posted in my OP. You keep repeating the words of a man long dead. You too are under hypnosis.

There's nothing Christ can free you from... But he is successfully convinced you he's the antidote to the poison called sin, his dad's kryptonite. I'd rather believe in Ben 10 to save me from evil.

In your rush to evangelize your 'unchurched'ness, you have completely missed the point of the OP. I do not care about Christianity.. I just hope the Christians learn to respect 'perceived' enemies.

We are also human. Not demons, not anti-Christ. Humans. Remember that. It's a beautiful thing to be human....

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by KnownUnknown: 1:04am On Mar 31, 2022
HappyPagan:
Simple Christian values like love, kindness, honesty, integrity mean nothing to them.

Another pervasive illusion of Christianity are the so called “Christian values”.

Love, kindness, honesty, and integrity are values that are independent of any ideology. They are valuable on their own without appeal to a supernatural cause. They are intrinsically valuable because they promote human welfare. They are not values created by Christianity or Christians.

One doesn’t need Christianity to show love, kindness, etc.

Christian values are whatever pleases their god and what pleases their god is whatever pleases the person speaking for their god. So Christian value may be love but it’s also hate, Christian value may be kindness but it’s also cruelty, Christian value may be honesty but Christianity is inherently disingenuous, Christian value may be integrity but it is also corruption.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by budaatum: 10:27am On Mar 31, 2022
HappyPagan:
Now, I don't know who Christ is and I don't really care. I think an African should be sourcing his values from better men, but to each his own.
There's nothing beautiful about the story of Christ.. just an ugly story of an unforgiving father and an unfortunate son.

A list would be handy please, so 'we are', instead of the magical jujuical wishing and a prayer manna from heaven "should be".

"About the story of Christ", surely there's a lot more to it than just that! Like, "why and how not to die for a cause", no?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Christianity So Backward? by budaatum: 10:29am On Mar 31, 2022
HappyPagan:

There's nothing Christ can free you from...

What is Christ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apostle Joshua Selman Denies Word Of God / Who Is Monsignor Solomon??? / Does Anyone Feel Special, Like God Created You For A Reason?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.