Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,874 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:26 AM

Experience Working For A One Man Business - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Experience Working For A One Man Business (22384 Views)

Share Your Experience Working In A Loan Shark Company / 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business / My Experience Working For A One Man Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Experience Working For A One Man Business by Oyindamolah: 2:12pm On Mar 29, 2022
I resigned from my job 8 months ago (July). I worked with this firm for one full year. It was a rollercoaster ride. I used to be very proactive and full of energy, going all out to achieve things no matter what was at stake.

When I took up this job last year, I was hoping to build a career and carve a niche for myself... But I was wrong. Before I resumed, a lot of people had resigned. Even on the day I resumed, I met just one staff on ground (he was trying to buy time before he eventually quits). So we were just two (2) in the office. It felt awkward because the environment wasn't challenging and competitive enough for me, but I had to do what was expected of me. Till the day I resigned, I was not found wanting in any aspect.. But I guess that was where everything went wrong. I was taken advantage of, used and manipulated.
My boss was a chronic micromanager and very insecure.

Despite all these, I tried to allay his fears and made sure I did my best to assure him nothing would ever go wrong. He abuses us verbally with words I'm so ashamed to type here. When the other guy eventually resigned, I was left all alone with him. I took up his responsibilities coupled with mine. I was overworking myself every single day of the week. I became a shadow of myself and always felt sick whenever I get up from bed every morning. I was doing this for 4months till we were able to get a replacement for the guy. And believe you me, we were recruiting every month afterwards till I left because they were always resigning or should I say disappearing after the end of every month. So we practically had a new staff who would work for a month and disappear. And the reason was not far fetched, My Boss. He believes all job seekers are hungry and would take anything just for the cash (stipends). You can imagine a graduate bring sent on so many ridiculous domestic errands.

Though I'm not oblivious of the fact that it's not easy to set up a business here in Nigeria or even to pay salaries. I know what it takes, but that doesn't mean you should now use people like slaves.

As a service provider, you should know how to handle your clients, but this man would talk to them anyhow, insult them and then expect me to fix the mess or else I won't get paid. And because I was ready to do anything just for the progress of the company, he believed I had no choice. But I'm the kind of person that hates being idle. Hence, the reason for not seeing it as a big deal. Then came a time, I was at my wits end, couldn't go on anymore. I lost all motivation and up till now.

One of the most painful thing I heard after I left was when someone from the office called to tell me what happened that day. Sometimes, I usually use my money to quickly do some little office stuffs if the man is not around. So there were lapses after I left, he now asked what was really going on. So the guy on ground told him what I usually did.. And his response , "if I knew I had money, why did I come to work then?" Imagine. I felt so disappointed!

This is the same man that would refund you if you tell him you spent your money for the company, then go ahead to deduct it from your salary at the end of the month after looking for excuses or an offence you didn't commit.

Now, most people here in Lagos go through same or worse ordeal every single day. Leave home early, get abused at work, get home late. Looking rough and tired all for a pay that won't last up to 2weeks. I pity the married folks more, they can't resign/quit because they've got bills to pay, responsibilities (wife and kids), some even have girlfriends, they're stuck. I also have responsibilities and bills though, but thank God I'm still single.

This is the time to go all out and take chances, take risks and it will definitely pay off in the end. I've been able to focus more since I resigned, sleep well, eat well, learning some digital skills to boost my CV and running a little business of mine. Though it's not been easy, but I know I'm on the right path.

287 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Pojomojo: 3:56pm On Mar 29, 2022
Just give me a minute till it gets to fp

6 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Jheypeel(m): 4:28pm On Mar 29, 2022
This is so relatable

33 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Nobody: 9:54pm On Mar 29, 2022
Current reality of most employees In Nigeria.....

81 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by kingscare1(m): 2:12pm On Mar 30, 2022
To be frank with you without mixing words "I no read am oo"

Toyota Picnic 2006 Clean Buy & Drive
Check my profile for more pictures

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Ajehkpako4naija(m): 2:12pm On Mar 30, 2022
Oyindamolah:

I resigned from my job 8 months ago (July). I worked with this firm for one full year. It was a rollercoaster ride. I used to be very proactive and full of energy, going all out to achieve things no matter what was at stake.

When I took up this job last year, I was hoping to build a career and carve a niche for myself... But I was wrong. Before I resumed, a lot of people had resigned. Even on the day I resumed, I met just one staff on ground (he was trying to buy time before he eventually quits). So we were just two (2) in the office. It felt awkward because the environment wasn't challenging and competitive enough for me, but I had to do what was expected of me. Till the day I resigned, I was not found wanting in any aspect.. But I guess that was where everything went wrong. I was taken advantage of, used and manipulated.
My boss was a chronic micromanager and very insecure.

Despite all these, I tried to allay his fears and made sure I did my best to assure him nothing would ever go wrong. He abuses us verbally with words I'm so ashamed to type here. When the other guy eventually resigned, I was left all alone with him. I took up his responsibilities coupled with mine. I was overworking myself every single day of the week. I became a shadow of myself and always felt sick whenever I get up from bed every morning. I was doing this for 4months till we were able to get a replacement for the guy. And believe you me, we were recruiting every month afterwards till I left because they were always resigning or should I say disappearing after the end of every month. So we practically had a new staff who would work for a month and disappear. And the reason was not far fetched, My Boss. He believes all job seekers are hungry and would take anything just for the cash (stipends). You can imagine a graduate bring sent on so many ridiculous domestic errands.

Though I'm not oblivious of the fact that it's not easy to set up a business here in Nigeria or even to pay salaries. I know what it takes, but that doesn't mean you should now use people like slaves.

As a service provider, you should know how to handle your clients, but this man would talk to them anyhow, insult them and then expect me to fix the mess or else I won't get paid. And because I was ready to do anything just for the progress of the company, he believed I had no choice. But I'm the kind of person that hates being idle. Hence, the reason for not seeing it as a big deal. Then came a time, I was at my wits end, couldn't go on anymore. I lost all motivation and up till now.

One of the most painful thing I heard after I left was when someone from the office called to tell me what happened that day. Sometimes, I usually use my money to quickly do some little office stuffs if the man is not around. So there were lapses after I left, he now asked what was really going on. So the guy on ground told him what I usually did.. And his response , "if I knew I had money, why did I come to work then?" Imagine. I felt so disappointed!

This is the same man that would refund you if you tell him you spent your money for the company, then go ahead to deduct it from your salary at the end of the month after looking for excuses or an offence you didn't commit.

Now, most people here in Lagos go through same or worse ordeal every single day. Leave home early, get abused at work, get home late. Looking rough and tired all for a pay that won't last up to 2weeks. I pity the married folks more, they can't resign/quit because they've got bills to pay, responsibilities (wife and kids), some even have girlfriends, they're stuck. I also have responsibilities and bills though, but thank God I'm still single.

This is the time to go all out and take chances, take risks and it will definitely pay off in the end. I've been able to focus more since I resigned, sleep well, eat well, learning some digital skills to boost my CV and running a little business of mine. Though it's not been easy, but I know I'm on the right path.
one man na slavery work

21 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by thatsleepboy1: 2:12pm On Mar 30, 2022
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by badboyTee(m): 2:14pm On Mar 30, 2022
:Ds
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by TricksterBoss: 2:14pm On Mar 30, 2022
That I just the way it Is here in Nigeria focus on the next stage of life

3 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Cutehector(m): 2:14pm On Mar 30, 2022
angry and a lady will be somewhere telling you that you didnt check up on them after going through all this mess... Isnt that witchcraft?

76 Likes 1 Share

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by LagBlogger(m): 2:15pm On Mar 30, 2022
One man biz sometimes are worth it though.

4 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Starz825(m): 2:15pm On Mar 30, 2022
Abeg no go there abeg...
One man business..
Chai
I suffer for their hands...
Though I am currently working with a private licensed NIMC company ..we do enrollment and validation of NIN and any other related stuffs..

But you see the other one I dey for 2018( it was immediately after my nysc ended in December 2017).
Omoo..even with my suit on ...I go carry plate inside nylon go buy Amala for oga from ogba to area F ..
Guy.. shame no dey gree me...
To make matter worse..the bossman sef na narcist..go dey shout .. everybody go dey shake if he don enter office... every Monday I go carry him clothes go wash man office..
Always finding my trouble in particular..cos me no dey always one gree for am...
We go resume 9am close 9pm without doing any relevant thing (as from 5pm)..
Around 6pm, Bossman go dey him office dey sleep dey snore after eating his lunch. ...we go dey wait make he wake up... instead of him to allow us go home ...no oo we will have to wait for him to wake up ..then when he wakes up around 7pm ..he go send one of us go supermarket go buy milk drink and burger or cashew nut..to chill for the evening... grin
One day like that...na him make me vex finish patapata ..
I overheard him when He was on call with his wife...I think the wife asked him if she can bring his food with her car (they stay around abule egba )..he said no that he doesn't want her to risk her life coming down to ogba that he will send me...he dropped the call ...called me..told me to take a bike that can run faster than the speed of sound to bring his food...
I just shake my head say oh na me make I come die because of your food but you don't want your wife to risk her life bringing your food with her car oo...
Omooo..I resign...he shock...I couldn't just contain all of his shit abeg...
I needed to leave...

Months after I left ..I met with our secretary at the time..she told me after I left the man told them I was his worst employee...I lafffff...I told her he was equally the worst bossman I have ever met with...
Though it's very common with this guys...when you leave they tend to rubbish you before the remaining staff so as not to lose them too..
They always think you can't leave maybe because they feel there are no jobs out there...
And most of them are fetish..

154 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 2:15pm On Mar 30, 2022
Y

1 Like

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by englishmart(m): 2:16pm On Mar 30, 2022
I know more than 3,000 people that earn around 10-12k monthly. 10k that I stomach in 30-minutes.
Nigerian owned companies are ruthless, careless, heartless and stagnating. I rather depend on bet9ja than to stagnate my life working in a bar.
angry angry

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by harmargedon: 2:16pm On Mar 30, 2022
cool

1 Like

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by gbaskiboy: 2:16pm On Mar 30, 2022
Many working are not happy with their job, they are just doing it to keep body and soul together. Imagine working in a company where you receive abuse constantly couple with the problem we face from the government your mental health will be affected and psychologically you will not be balance. It is not easy living in this country ....

28 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Agricmoney(m): 2:16pm On Mar 30, 2022
ok following .

Anyway, Agriculture is life.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Frank25: 2:17pm On Mar 30, 2022
most times people don't value something until they lose it....,i can bet my balls that he is literary regretting why you resigned. out of all the workers, you had passion for your job irrespective of the controversies and the backlashing words you get in return

you made the right choice though

13 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by Dreadshy: 2:17pm On Mar 30, 2022
One man work na non pensionable job.
One person close to ke been work with one big madam like that for V.I, the day the guy close one major deal na im dem sack am.

10 Likes

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by DropsMic(m): 2:17pm On Mar 30, 2022
Hmm
Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by oyebolaidris: 2:17pm On Mar 30, 2022
They get selfish and can throw you out at will.
I'm a living example if such boss.
They have the capacity to detail your journey for their selfish interest.
They are heartless whose interest is only money.
You can serve them for years with all your heart, but take flimsy excuses to get rid of you for reason s best known to them

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by bouncin04(m): 2:17pm On Mar 30, 2022
grin

1 Like

Re: Experience Working For A One Man Business by SeaTrade(m): 2:18pm On Mar 30, 2022
cheesy

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reasons To Start A Private School Business In Nigeria / Help, Having Issues With My Way Of Spoken English (lack Of Communication Skill) / Microsoft 70-410 new Exam dumps ( Exam Questions and Answers) (2016)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.