Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,920 members, 7,802,988 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine (2254 Views)

My Mercedes Benz Gl550 2008 Smoke After Starting The Engine In The Morning / 10 Cars That Are Powered By The Engine Of Another Manufacturer / How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by calculation(m): 3:55pm On Mar 31, 2022
I have Honda CRV 2003 model in my care, which was behaving in abnormal in operation. The main problem is that the vehicle will refuse to start back whenever its ignition is off for any reason ie to stop the vehicle for a given reason. At any time, if the vehicle ignition is switch on for starting the engine, the probability is 50/50%. If the vehicle start, no driveability problem as it move normal. Diagnosis so far reveal that when the vehicle is not starting, the fuel injector nozzle -ve does not connect to -ve of battery, which is carry out by ECU. If fuel is introduce into the intake manifold, vehicle will start at one kick.
The following action were already taken to detect the root cause of problem

1 Fuel pressure was initially suspected and new pump was fixed

2 Injector nozzle was checked and all were confirmed 100% okay.

3 Vehicle was scanned and NO scan code stored. Even during the crank of engine some parameters were monitor and signal was seen generating as usual.

4 Since injector nozzle was not getting grounded by ECU, then it was suspected that ECU was the culprit, then another ECU was fixed, but the problem remain same.

At this point, I feel that am open to suggestion from other as to sort out the problem. Thanks for your suggestion in advance
Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by calculation(m): 11:55am On Apr 02, 2022
I need help to reason the root cause of the problem. Don read alone
Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by Conner44: 1:45pm On Apr 02, 2022
Your problem might actually be a very simple one to solve.

Check all your battery negative grounds (chassis and engine) to see if they are dirty, corroded or loose. If one single ground of your vehicle is not okay your ecu will be having issues and starting your car will be a game of luck most times.

If I were you I’d start by changing all my grounds & negative wires to new proper gauge ones just in case the old ones have withered within their insulation which one can not detect with the common eye.

Also check the positive battery wires coming from the alternator and fuse box to the battery head for same issues.

1 Like

Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by calculation(m): 3:57pm On Apr 02, 2022
Conner44:

Check all your battery negative grounds (chassis and engine) to see if they are dirty, corroded or loose. If one single ground of your vehicle is not okay your ecu will be having issues and starting your car will be a game of luck most times.

If I were you I’d start by changing all my grounds & negative wires to new proper gauge ones just in case the old ones have withered within their insulation which one can not detect with the common eye.

Also check the positive battery wires coming from the alternator and fuse box to the battery head for same issues.
Thanks for the head up. I will look into your suggestion and give feedback with time. Once again thank you
Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by calculation(m): 10:46am On Apr 12, 2022
Conner44:

I checked with multimeter for continuity between the battery negative and chassis, it show that there is continuity. I also use another cable to make connection between engine and chassis, yet the problem occurred again.
Am yet to decide on my next action.
Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by Conner44: 11:32am On Apr 12, 2022
calculation:

I checked with multimeter for continuity between the battery negative and chassis, it show that there is continuity. I also use another cable to make connection between engine and chassis, yet the problem occurred again.
Am yet to decide on my next action.

Then your final culprit is in your fuse box. I’m sure if you changed out your entire underhood fuse box you would see a difference.

I once had a problem like yours, I’d be driving and my car would switch off randomly but when I started it back again it would start right back up, I changed the fusebox (after changing this and that for a year without success) before the issue went away for good.

Ps. Have you checked the fuse for your fuel pump in the fusebox under your driver side dashboard? If you turn your ignition as if you’re about to start your car do you hear your fuel pump ’priming’? I once had this fuse malfunctioning and I had the same problem you are currently having.

First check if your fuel pump is making that sound before you kick-start your engine, if that sound isn’t heard when your engine refuses to start but is heard when it eventually starts up then you have a very easy fix on your hands.

I do not know the particular fuse number on your vehicle but I’m sure since it’s a Honda it would be easy to locate.

3 Likes

Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by calculation(m): 2:01pm On May 09, 2022
Conner44:

Then your final culprit is in your fuse box. I’m sure if you changed out your entire underhood fuse box you would see a difference.

I once had a problem like yours, I’d be driving and my car would switch off randomly but when I started it back again it would start right back up, I changed the fusebox (after changing this and that for a year without success) before the issue went away for good.

Ps. Have you checked the fuse for your fuel pump in the fusebox under your driver side dashboard? If you turn your ignition as if you’re about to start your car do you hear your fuel pump ’priming’? I once had this fuse malfunctioning and I had the same problem you are currently having.

First check if your fuel pump is making that sound before you kick-start your engine, if that sound isn’t heard when your engine refuses to start but is heard when it eventually starts up then you have a very easy fix on your hands.

I do not know the particular fuse number on your vehicle but I’m sure since it’s a Honda it would be easy to locate.
Just as you suggested above, each detail were carefully checked,yet NO solution or source of problem for now. I will still continue to troubleshoot further untill source of problem is reveal. For now vehicle continue to serve well, whenever engine is running.
Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by gat2so(m): 2:52pm On May 10, 2022
Check your starter motor aka kick starter … it’s probably the culprit here …
Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by calculation(m): 3:22pm On May 10, 2022
gat2so:
Check your starter motor aka kick starter … it’s probably the culprit here …
At any given time, starter motor will always turn the engine. It is 200% sure, it not the issue here. Thanks for the input
Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by calculation(m): 1:19pm On Jun 30, 2022
I want to use this time to appreciate those who contributed to this issue and inform them that solution was found. Though am still doing trial operation on solution.
Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by 9icetoo(m): 6:45pm On Jun 30, 2022
calculation:
I want to use this time to appreciate those who contributed to this issue and inform them that solution was found. Though am still doing trial operation on solution.
What was the solution?
Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by calculation(m): 9:50pm On Jul 01, 2022
9icetoo:

What was the solution?
I will declare later, just allow me to conclude the trial on the vehicle
Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by 9icetoo(m): 4:11pm On Jul 02, 2022
calculation:

Okay chief. smiley
Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by Itsrm(m): 6:10pm On Jul 02, 2022
Alternator issues maybe
Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by calculation(m): 3:46pm On Jul 03, 2022
Itsrm:
Alternator issues maybe
No. It is okay with respect to alternator
Re: Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine by calculation(m): 4:58am On Aug 19, 2022
calculation:

calculation:

9icetoo:

What was the solution?

The vehicle continued to start without hard starting and respond fast to start at short crank of engine for period of two months.
The root of problem was traced to O-ring on top of fuel pump that got displaced from its position leading to fuel returning back to fuel tank. It was fixed properly and vehicle never misbehave again

(1) (Reply)

Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil / Pls Which Do I Buy, Nigerian Used 06 Infiniti Fx35 Or 06 Pathfinder / Check This Car Out!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.