Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 (32193 Views)

Anna Turaeva: Russian Female Powerlifter Asked To Prove Gender At Airport / The 10 Least Most Powerful Passports In Africa / 10 Of The Most Powerful Passports In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by VPN11(m): 11:49pm On Mar 31, 2022
Doctors refer to people who feel that they belong to the opposite sex from the one they were assigned at birth as transgender individuals. (The term comes from the Latin, where trans- means “on the far side.”)

Gender is based on culturally accepted norms — attitudes or behaviors that are typical for males or females. Gender identity has to do instead with our inner sense of who we are. People often express their gender identity by how they dress or behave.

Meanwhile, sex is determined at conception by the genes each of us inherits from mom and dad. It may become visible by ultrasound several months into pregnancy.
Chromosomes hold genes. They’re the tiny pieces of DNA that tell our cells what to do. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes. One pair consists of sex chromosomes . They come in two forms: X’s and Y’s. Women have two X’s. So when they share half of each pair of chromosomes with their offspring, the sex chromosome they offer will always be an X. Men have an X and a Y. So if dad shares an X chromosome with his child, it will make a girl (XX). If he shares a Y chromosome, the child will be male (XY). Or at least, that’s usually the case.
When it comes to sex, researchers have learned that biology can be more complicated than just ‘boy’ or ‘girl.’ For instance, some people carry two X chromosomes mixed with a fragment of a Y chromosome. These people develop into what look to be males. That happens even though the presence of two X chromosomes means that they are female, at least biologically.

It gets even more complicated when gender identity enters the picture. For more than 99 percent of the world’s population, gender identity and biological sex will agree. Such a person is called cisgender. (The Latin prefix cis- means “on the same side.”) But a small share of people experiences a mismatch between sex and gender.

Some of these people grow up feeling like they aren’t the gender the rest of the world — including their parents and doctors — sees them as. This experience is called transgender. The term transgender is distinct from one’s sexual orientation, meaning whether a person is attracted to males or females.

Transgender individuals may outwardly appear male or female. But for reasons that are still unclear, they feel like — and, eventually report knowing themselves to be — the opposite gender. Some may even identify a little bit with both genders.
During pregnancy, genetic factors influence the development of the embryo as it grows into a fetus. An XX person (girl) usually develops ovaries. An XY person (boy) will usually develop testes. In individuals with XY chromosomes, there is a gene on the arm of the Y chromosome, called SRY. This gene signals the development of testes. When an SRY is not present, an ovary will develop. That will then lead to development of the female anatomy. If testes develop, they will go on to produce the male hormone called testosterone (tess-TOSS-ter-own). This hormone instructs the body to make male genitals. It also leads to the development of bigger bones, a brain structure unique to males and other male physical characteristics.
basic biology behind how chromosomes and genes signal the body to take on a female or male anatomy has been known for a long time. Still, researchers are learning a great deal about how much more complex this sex determination is than they had originally thought. And researchers know far less about what drives gender.
For thousands of years, careful observers — namely, parents — have noticed that children at an early stage begin to strongly express a preference for certain toys, colors and clothing. Around this same early age, children also begin to express their gender identity.

As it turns out, the brain appears to play a bigger role in our identity than does anything else, young children and teens who transition to the opposite gender of what doctors had assigned them at birth (based on their apparent biological sex). Some of these children are transgender. Others may have experienced conditions in the womb that led their genitals to develop abnormally

because identity is determined internally, within the complex interactions among the 100 billion cells in his brain.

The brain is a complicated soup of chemicals, Reiner points out. Somehow, these chemicals add up to something whose “total is much larger than the sum of its parts.” Part of that sum is who we see ourselves as. Our identity. “And part of that,” , “is whether we’re male and female.” The gender assigned to a newborn is based on what that baby’s body looks like. Yet that outward identity, while important, “is not the only part,”

By looking at someone’s body, or even mapping that person’s genes, “We can’t really answer the question of what identity is.” That, remains hidden within the inner workings of our brain.

Transgenderism is unique to humans. Yet research has turned up lots of variety within the sexual development and behavior of animals. Like people, animals exhibit behaviors typical of males and females. Still, many social and other behaviors in animals do not fit neatly into those categories, notes Paul Vasey. He works at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta, Canada. As a comparative psychologist, he studies how behaviors in humans and animals differ or appear the same.

With such a wide range of differences in sexual development and behaviors in the animal kingdom (see Explainer: Male-female plasticity in animals), Vasey says that it’s not surprising to see similar variation among people too. “There’s a continuum,” he concludes “— in both the animal kingdom and in humans.”

3 Likes

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by ChristineC: 11:49pm On Mar 31, 2022
nextstep:

Oyinbos taught you everything you know about Christianity. They are changing their minds about religion, and soon you (or if not, the next generation of Africans), will follow suit. Christianity is barely 100 years old in West Africa, and before it we lived happily without some externally-imposed version of "righteousness"
so Christianity has become an oyinbos thing?

1 Like

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Ofachiedo: 11:49pm On Mar 31, 2022
Sodom and gomorrah people offend the gods of their land and they put the story in Bible. If gay was being practice by the Jews as at when the Bible was written, you would have also beloved it was instruct them to being doing it.
Uprightness100:
In the midst of Wars, Pestilences and Calamities ravaging the earth, these ones are busy approving nonsense.

If Mystery Babylon is not Destroyed, GOD ALMIGHTY will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah and those in the days of Noah

If Nomerica Survives God's Wrath I will throw my bible ..
America is Dead and Gone.. Nothing can save her.
The righteous in her will be Saved but America as a Nation is Gone.

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by imolile: 11:58pm On Mar 31, 2022
ERockson:
I don't mind calling myself X if this will facilitate my Japa

Then you unwittingly make yourself a candidate of eternal damnation for choosing the path of rebellion against God's original construct of humans, It is an attempt by the devil to populate Hell and those who choose the paths have also automatically consented to being an enemy of God for a gain of a few days on earth
Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by rexchazy(m): 12:00am On Apr 01, 2022
When the people that brought the religion that you're following blindly turn their back against the precept of that religion and they are progressing in technology and human capital development. You that follows blindly is retrogressing everyday, doesn't it ring bell to you that you re very foolish and without understanding?
Uprightness100:
In the midst of Wars, Pestilences and Calamities ravaging the earth, these ones are busy approving nonsense.

If Mystery Babylon is not Destroyed, GOD ALMIGHTY will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah and those in the days of Noah

3 Likes

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by subzeroth: 12:14am On Apr 01, 2022
safarigirl:
It is only the US and their neighbour that panders to people's delusions

I hope the holders of those passports never have to go farther than the North Americas, because for most of the world, you will still be identified as the gender you were born by.

If you die and your body rots, your skeletal form will still be as the skeleton of either a male or a female. Nothing in between, that is the beauty of DNA and the human form.
you obviously do not know the difference between gender and sex

3 Likes

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Bestx(m): 12:15am On Apr 01, 2022
[quote author=Uprightness100 post=111540520]In the midst of Wars, Pestilences and Calamities ravaging the earth, these ones are busy approving nonsense.

It remains a mystery if America will be destroyed or not!
Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Masterclass32: 12:18am On Apr 01, 2022
How the mighty hath fallen.

From propagating the gospel to propagating evil.

Hope they get their acts together before it is too late.
Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by safarigirl(f): 12:18am On Apr 01, 2022
subzeroth:

you obviously do not know the difference between gender and sex

According to the latest definition, sex is what you are biologically born as, and gender is what you choose to identify as. Sex is biological, gender is a social construct.

I am extremely familiar with LGBTQ lingo, I can assure you that. I just do not choose to be conscious about my use of terms, because this is a random social media account and such things are irrelevant in an informal setting such as this

I am glad you did not contest the actual FACT that anything you choose to identify as, if you went missing, when they want to find your body, the only relevant thing will be your sex.

I am very familiar, most likely as familiar as you, but you falsely assume that people who do not wish to acknowledge such things are ignorant of them.

1 Like

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by omoyankee3(m): 12:22am On Apr 01, 2022
Na wa o. My country...

It is well
Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Lordbinsmar: 12:29am On Apr 01, 2022
Bastard Pipu grin grin grin

No be only gender X, naa xyz.
Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Nobody: 12:31am On Apr 01, 2022
Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Telekinetic: 12:37am On Apr 01, 2022
Uprightness100:

Forget about America and focus on issues closer to home. Your country is literally hell on earth. Very opposite to the country you’re tongue lashing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Okoroawusa: 12:41am On Apr 01, 2022
Uprightness100:

No be them give you this bible wey you dey quote so?

Africans and their ignorance of carrying religions that were forcefully placed on their forefathers for head.

1 Like

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Okoroawusa: 12:43am On Apr 01, 2022
rexchazy:
When the people that brought the religion that you're following blindly turn their back against the precept of that religion and they are progressing in technology and human capital development. You that follows blindly is retrogressing everyday, doesn't it ring bell to you that you re very foolish and without understanding?
Come collect one better bottle of wine

2 Likes

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Okoroawusa: 12:46am On Apr 01, 2022
ChristineC:
so Christianity has become an oyinbos thing?
So you never knew? Now you know. If you trace back to your ancestors you will be surprised to know that the first Christian in your family converted less than a hundred years ago while your family has been in existence probably thousands of years before that.
Ignorance is bliss

2 Likes

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Missionaire: 12:53am On Apr 01, 2022
safarigirl:

I hope the holders of those passports never have to go farther than the North Americas, because for most of the world, you will still be identified as the gender (sex) you were born by.

If you die and your body rots, your skeletal form will still be as the skeleton of either a male or a female. Nothing in between, that is the beauty of DNA and the human form.
Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by ChristineC: 1:03am On Apr 01, 2022
Okoroawusa:

So you never knew? Now you know. If you trace back to your ancestors you will be surprised to know that the first Christian in your family converted less than a hundred years ago while your family has been in existence probably thousands of years before that.
Ignorance is bliss
every family has existed for thousands of years. of what significance is that to a man existing in 2022?
less than a hundred years ago, someone in your family offered human sacrifices. do you still practise it?

1 Like

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by okuta007: 1:05am On Apr 01, 2022
MisterGrace:
[b]The United States [/b]have very very bad ideals and zero morality.
A quick check will show you that they are about the only country
that is promoting this g.ay nonsense.

I wonder why that is a priority to them.

They started the issue of gender equality, making millions of ladies toxic
and bad. The likes of developed worlds like China, Russia and others are still
very traditional focused.

From bad dressing, to hard drugs and dirty acts, they exhibit these things
on the TV.

Talk about disrespect all in the name of modernity. Many young generations are now very
rude.

Some dirty ones will be blaming zodiac signs.

What is even good about them? invading people's lands and destroying them.

not the US, it is the liberal democrats in the US
Conservative Republicans have morals and traditional values like you do in Nigeria!!!

1 Like

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Chyjoey(m): 1:08am On Apr 01, 2022
MisterGrace:
The United States have very very bad ideals and zero morality.
A quick check will show you that they are about the only country
that is promoting this g.ay nonsense.

I wonder why that is a priority to them.

They started the issue of gender equality, making millions of ladies toxic
and bad. The likes of developed worlds like China, Russia and others are still
very traditional focused.

From bad dressing, to hard drugs and dirty acts, they exhibit these things
on the TV.

Talk about disrespect all in the name of modernity. Many young generations are now very
rude.

Some dirty ones will be blaming zodiac signs.

What is even good about them? invading people's lands and destroying them.

Say what you want about the United States, they have the most diverse population in the world.
The country is a perfect mixing pot of people from all races, beliefs, religions, nationalities living and coexisting together.
It’s not a perfect country by any stretch of the imagination but it is the closest we have to what a perfect society should be.
Regardless of what you think about the LGBTQ community, and your religious high ground, it’s their life and they have the right to exist and enjoy their liberty as long as it does not infringe on your own important rights.

3 Likes

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by YourFavEvangeli: 1:09am On Apr 01, 2022
Uprightness100:

Be careful what you say, the bible never specifically mentioned America as mystery Babylon. Of course we know America "should" play a role in the unveiling of the Beast but the bible never specified how. Neither did the bible tell us if America will be destroyed. You don't even know if it will be after rapture so why saying you'll throw your bible away?

Remember how everyone thought 2000 will be the end of the world? Do u remember how many people dumped their faith? How many squandered their life savings and blamed God? How many committed suicide cus they took insane loans they couldn't live with?
While I understand your point. Please sir, try to use other less serious phrases to express yourself.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Chyjoey(m): 1:13am On Apr 01, 2022
safarigirl:

I hope the holders of those passports never have to go farther than the North Americas, because for most of the world, you will still be identified as the gender (sex) you were born by.

What human history has shown is that liberal values always win in the end.

The white man once held conservative beliefs of how delusional the black man’s beliefs of equality was.
History has shown that the conservative white man is the deluded one.
Conservatism is not inherently right.
Personal liberty and freedom of all humans to live and be respected as they desire is supreme.

2 Likes

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by smile11s(m): 1:14am On Apr 01, 2022
Peve1990:
Mm

Do you do CCTV bypass?
Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by rippa(m): 1:18am On Apr 01, 2022
Massiveglory:
[s][/s]
You sound like you are sick . Even dogs won't act like u.
U think say na everybody get backward mind like u

1 Like

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by vince96w2(m): 1:20am On Apr 01, 2022
Uprightness100:

....If you throw away ur Bible because of a country then ur faith is shallow

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Chyjoey(m): 1:21am On Apr 01, 2022
VPN11:
Doctors refer to people who feel that they belong to the opposite sex from the one they were assigned at birth as transgender individuals. (The term comes from the Latin, where trans- means “on the far side.”)

Gender is based on culturally accepted norms — attitudes or behaviors that are typical for males or females. Gender identity has to do instead with our inner sense of who we are. People often express their gender identity by how they dress or behave.

Meanwhile, sex is determined at conception by the genes each of us inherits from mom and dad. It may become visible by ultrasound several months into pregnancy.
Chromosomes hold genes. They’re the tiny pieces of DNA that tell our cells what to do. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes. One pair consists of sex chromosomes . They come in two forms: X’s and Y’s. Women have two X’s. So when they share half of each pair of chromosomes with their offspring, the sex chromosome they offer will always be an X. Men have an X and a Y. So if dad shares an X chromosome with his child, it will make a girl (XX). If he shares a Y chromosome, the child will be male (XY). Or at least, that’s usually the case.
When it comes to sex, researchers have learned that biology can be more complicated than just ‘boy’ or ‘girl.’ For instance, some people carry two X chromosomes mixed with a fragment of a Y chromosome. These people develop into what look to be males. That happens even though the presence of two X chromosomes means that they are female, at least biologically.

It gets even more complicated when gender identity enters the picture. For more than 99 percent of the world’s population, gender identity and biological sex will agree. Such a person is called cisgender. (The Latin prefix cis- means “on the same side.”) But a small share of people experiences a mismatch between sex and gender.

Some of these people grow up feeling like they aren’t the gender the rest of the world — including their parents and doctors — sees them as. This experience is called transgender. The term transgender is distinct from one’s sexual orientation, meaning whether a person is attracted to males or females.

Transgender individuals may outwardly appear male or female. But for reasons that are still unclear, they feel like — and, eventually report knowing themselves to be — the opposite gender. Some may even identify a little bit with both genders.
During pregnancy, genetic factors influence the development of the embryo as it grows into a fetus. An XX person (girl) usually develops ovaries. An XY person (boy) will usually develop testes. In individuals with XY chromosomes, there is a gene on the arm of the Y chromosome, called SRY. This gene signals the development of testes. When an SRY is not present, an ovary will develop. That will then lead to development of the female anatomy. If testes develop, they will go on to produce the male hormone called testosterone (tess-TOSS-ter-own). This hormone instructs the body to make male genitals. It also leads to the development of bigger bones, a brain structure unique to males and other male physical characteristics.
basic biology behind how chromosomes and genes signal the body to take on a female or male anatomy has been known for a long time. Still, researchers are learning a great deal about how much more complex this sex determination is than they had originally thought. And researchers know far less about what drives gender.
For thousands of years, careful observers — namely, parents — have noticed that children at an early stage begin to strongly express a preference for certain toys, colors and clothing. Around this same early age, children also begin to express their gender identity.

As it turns out, the brain appears to play a bigger role in our identity than does anything else, young children and teens who transition to the opposite gender of what doctors had assigned them at birth (based on their apparent biological sex). Some of these children are transgender. Others may have experienced conditions in the womb that led their genitals to develop abnormally

because identity is determined internally, within the complex interactions among the 100 billion cells in his brain.

The brain is a complicated soup of chemicals, Reiner points out. Somehow, these chemicals add up to something whose “total is much larger than the sum of its parts.” Part of that sum is who we see ourselves as. Our identity. “And part of that,” , “is whether we’re male and female.” The gender assigned to a newborn is based on what that baby’s body looks like. Yet that outward identity, while important, “is not the only part,”

By looking at someone’s body, or even mapping that person’s genes, “We can’t really answer the question of what identity is.” That, remains hidden within the inner workings of our brain.

Transgenderism is unique to humans. Yet research has turned up lots of variety within the sexual development and behavior of animals. Like people, animals exhibit behaviors typical of males and females. Still, many social and other behaviors in animals do not fit neatly into those categories, notes Paul Vasey. He works at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta, Canada. As a comparative psychologist, he studies how behaviors in humans and animals differ or appear the same.

With such a wide range of differences in sexual development and behaviors in the animal kingdom (see Explainer: Male-female plasticity in animals), Vasey says that it’s not surprising to see similar variation among people too. “There’s a continuum,” he concludes “— in both the animal kingdom and in humans.”

I think the study of gender roles in animals may be confounded by the superimposition on animals of expected gender roles based on human experiences and society.

The lion pride is a typical example. The male lion doesn’t play the typical male role as we expect in human society in terms of hunting food for the pride — the lionesses hunt for the pride.
This is just one example that comes to mind but I believe there are a lot more surprising variations in the wild.
I however agree that gender roles definitely exist in the wild.

1 Like

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by Originalsly: 1:32am On Apr 01, 2022
Hmmm..... human beings do not always fit into a male/female category. Really? ... or with a womb....female. don't have a womb ... male. This is about how one feels about ehmmm... itself.
Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by zinaunreal(m): 1:36am On Apr 01, 2022
thesicilian:
I'm just laughing at them.
Soon even the X will not be good enough for them, lesbians will get tired of being lumped in the same group and ask for their own L, gays for G, bisexuals for B, Transsexuals for T, and queers (whatever that means) for Q.

Use common sense rationalism and liberalism to judge where ever you find yourself in life else you'll just get into trouble or reach a dead end. How can you say gays will ask for G. Gays are men. Male is a sex. Jeez why so kraft. You're so motionally blinded with discrimination of these people you will cook of trash just for likes. As they don't disturb your existence move on with your life too.

1 Like

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by EternalBeing: 1:39am On Apr 01, 2022
Uprightness100:

My brother, stop reasoning like Jonah! Subtle Pride goeth before Destruction. Witches, Wizards , Socerers, etc. are here too, Demons ever scheming how to Destroy Believers through them. And MESSIAH seriously Warned us that by your Word you shall be Judged in their Covens. Our CREATOR is nobody's father's mate, even if HE chooses not to Destroy America, what would make you say you will desecrate HIS Word, throwing your Bible is tantamount to kicking or stepping in HIS Word, or putting it in Toilet. HE is God and HE has right to do whatever gives HIM Joy with HIS Creation. HE is Just, you can never see all HE sees. Jonah was angry with HIM because of his Human ego and pride. HE speared Jonah, but beware!

1 Like

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by cococandy(f): 1:40am On Apr 01, 2022
If it doesn’t apply to you, don’t use it. Much ado about nothing

2 Likes

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by cococandy(f): 1:41am On Apr 01, 2022
Originalsly:
Hmmm..... human beings do not always fit into a male/female category. Really? ... or with a womb....female. don't have a womb ... male. This is about how one feels about ehmmm... itself.
yes some people are born with neither or both

2 Likes

Re: X Gender Marker Available On U.S. Passports Starting April 11 by VPN11(m): 1:43am On Apr 01, 2022
Chyjoey:

I think the study of gender roles in animals may be confounded by the superimposition on animals of expected gender roles based on human experiences and society.

The lion pride is a typical example. The male lion doesn’t play the typical male role as we expect in human society in terms of hunting food for the pride — the lionesses hunt for the pride.
This is just one example that comes to mind but I believe there are a lot more surprising variations in the wild.
I however agree that gender roles definitely exist in the wild.

Thanks however;I think that our sexual organs ;doesn't make us male or female; What makes us male or female can be found inside;chromosomes ;and brain cells.
Homosexuality has been observed is just about every species it has been looked for. Transgender animals are not as widely known, but may just be a matter of looking for them.

There are certainly some animal examples that are various forms of transgender animals in nature. One is the California Sheephead (Semicossyphus pulcher) which is a fish that is born female, and then can become male later in life. Another example is found in the Green Frog (Rana clamitans) that reverse sex in response to various external factors, and this has been observed in other amphibians as well. But both of these examples are in lineages of animals that are pretty distantly related to us humans.

Well, research published a couple of years ago in the African Journal of Ecology is an example much closer to us. In a paper by Gilfillan et al. from the University of Sussex, five lionesses in Botswana have been observed to grow manes, regularly roar and scent mark, mount other females, and display other very male-like behaviors such as killing the cubs of rival prides which females lions just about never do but is very common for male lions.

This is a mammal we are talking about.

Lions that are female in body, but male in behavior.

In the wild.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Okada Ban Begins Today, Lagos Deploys More Boats / Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports / Japa Confusion: Where Can One Study Cheap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.