Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,827 members, 7,798,797 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) (57696 Views)

Obiora Okonkwo, Ekwueme Named Ndigbo Times New Generation Leader / Burning Building At Balogun Market In Lagos (Photos) / Subomi Balogun Arrives At Ojude Oba In Rolls-Royce Phantom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by excanny: 9:47am On Apr 01, 2022
Yorubas are a rare and special breed of Africans in that they have mastered how to function well better at a societal level than at individual levels.

Constrast this story to what happened in other parts of Nigeria at this same time to Ibo assets, then ignorant Ibos then you begin to understand who their true friends are.

2 Likes

Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by sageb: 9:49am On Apr 01, 2022
Amb1045:
During the Nigeria-Biafra civil war, many Igbo people fled other parts of the country for the East because they were being killed and massacred wantonly and the government was doing nothing about it.

Many abandoned their homes, properties and businesses for safety. Of them, was a young Igbo architect who had a young Yoruba banker as a neighbour in Apapa, Lagos. He also abandoned his home and with his family fled for the East.

However, the young Yoruba banker, while the war lasted, rented out his neighbour's house and kept every kobo for him while he was in the East. After the war, the Igbo architect returned to Lagos and the Yoruba banker handed over the entire proceeds of the rent and also the house to the Igbo architect.

Some few years later, the Igbo architect became the Vice President of Nigeria and the Yoruba banker established a commercial bank, the first by a private citizen in the country's history.

However, he could not get a license to begin banking operations. Many people were against him because it was unheard of at the time.

At this time, the banker remembered his neighbour who was now the Vice President and tracked him to the Christ Church Cathedral, Marina, Lagos on a particular Sunday. He had tried to get appointment to see him in his office but without success.

He and his wife then decided to go lay ambush for him in Church but the security men did not allow them. They then decided to sit by the pew close to the aisle to beat the security in the hope that the Vice President would see them while he walked to the front row. Yet, he still didn't see them.

After the church program they positioned that he will see them on his way out. However, the people following him out and security blocked his view. That was when the banker's wife decided to take a risk and like the woman with the issue of blood, she pulled the Vice President's cloth to get his attention who then turned and saw his old friend.

The young banker then narrated his plight and told the Vice President how he had tried to see him and what he needed to see him for. He told him about his application for a bank licence.

“Don’t worry yourself. Just come tomorrow at the Federal Executive Council meeting which I would preside because President Shehu Shagari would not be there,'' the Vice President assured him.

By 3.00pm the next day, the Finance Minister called the banker on phone that his licence was ready. The rest they say is history.

That young banker was Otunba Michael Olasubomi Balogun while the architect in this narrative was one of Africa’s Elder statesmen and former Vice President of the Republic of Nigeria, late Dr. Alex Ekwueme. The bank is what is now First City Monument Bank.

- One good turn truly deserves another.

- It is good to love our neighbours as ourselves, and importantly - Honesty pays.

https://m./117080885033212/permalink/7081079108633320/

Quite inspiring
Indeed, one good turn deserves another
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by zanshi: 9:49am On Apr 01, 2022
This is what i love about men we know how to linkup amongst ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:49am On Apr 01, 2022
Alonso91:
Some of US still dey honest nah

Naso I returned new phone I picked frm a gutter last week

Yimu...
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Mozegee: 9:49am On Apr 01, 2022
I am typing with tears on my face asking God when will you remember me.i have been insulted and being humiliated because of my situation.i know and believe God will definitely use someone here or elsewhere to turn around my bad situation to good. I am waiting patiently for that day. May the good soul of the former vice president Alex Ekwueme rest in perfect peace,Amen.
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by adelaja70(m): 9:49am On Apr 01, 2022
Bonaventura:
Awolowo was not honest

When he was released from Calabar prison on the negotiations that he'll relay the plight of the Easterners and help end the war, due to his presidential ambition, he rather advised the then Federal Government to use hunger and starvation as a tool for war against the Igbos.

He never was the president

Someone should remind me how he died again..
You are a mumu... Blame everybody for their woes but never blame themselves. Which kain tribe be dis self?

1 Like

Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Firstcitizen: 9:51am On Apr 01, 2022
xeratek:
Not motivational at all. I think sey Na first bank e wan talk

grin grin grin grin abi oh. FCMB bunch of crooks
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by lalax(m): 9:51am On Apr 01, 2022
D hatred started when history as a subject was no longer taught in schools... and nowadays kids whose parents lost control over dem refuse to learn from their seniors are bin used by politicians to create d divide...
If you check inter-tribal marriages in nigeria u will discover it more of yoruba-ibo marriages than any other combination....

tayo60:
Igbos and Yorubas of then loved each other but reverse is the case now. But where did the hatred come from?

2 Likes

Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Coldie(m): 9:52am On Apr 01, 2022
Northerners, we haven’t always been friends but let everything be open let us judge ourselves.

It’s not our fault as igbos that we are not Muslims, even the north originally wasn’t Muslim until Othman Dan Fodio came, spreading Islam all over the north when he tried to bring it down south, he was killed around the middle belt before it could happen, he wasn’t killed by Igbos, it’s just fated by God that he was going to die that day.

Nigeria pre independence had no record of igbos hating the north, we LOVED Nigeria and when God blessed us with Nigeria we spread ourselves all over.

What did we get in return for absolutely no reason hate, u and I know we didn’t start it, go and watch Ahmadu bellos interview about us, he said us relocating to other parts of Nigeria is Igbo domination.

That wasn’t over northern leaders were attacked in Lagos when they opposed independence, guess who paid for the attack “IGBOS” that was the first time any recorded northern attacks was known. Naturally Igbo animosity would start to grow.

Igbos were on their own military officers from Nigeria some of which were igbos who out of their own thinking staged a coup, u say when Ahmadu bello was killed igbos jubilated, as much as till today I wish I could travel back in time to stop that. What were u expecting especially when his interviews he spilled hate against us.

Ok a counter coup was carried out the military officers who killed leaders from regions was captured, what exactly was the reason for the north attacking the ordinary Igbo citizens in the north who wasn’t in the military, who had nothing to do with it, who some don’t even have radios they were just enjoying a normal day when out of nowhere a mob came and started killing them?

Ask yourself is it right?

2 Likes

Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by ajayiopy: 9:52am On Apr 01, 2022
Amb1045:
During the Nigeria-Biafra civil war, many Igbo people fled other parts of the country for the East because they were being killed and massacred wantonly and the government was doing nothing about it.

Many abandoned their homes, properties and businesses for safety. Of them, was a young Igbo architect who had a young Yoruba banker as a neighbour in Apapa, Lagos. He also abandoned his home and with his family fled for the East.

However, the young Yoruba banker, while the war lasted, rented out his neighbour's house and kept every kobo for him while he was in the East. After the war, the Igbo architect returned to Lagos and the Yoruba banker handed over the entire proceeds of the rent and also the house to the Igbo architect.

Some few years later, the Igbo architect became the Vice President of Nigeria and the Yoruba banker established a commercial bank, the first by a private citizen in the country's history.

However, he could not get a license to begin banking operations. Many people were against him because it was unheard of at the time.

At this time, the banker remembered his neighbour who was now the Vice President and tracked him to the Christ Church Cathedral, Marina, Lagos on a particular Sunday. He had tried to get appointment to see him in his office but without success.

He and his wife then decided to go lay ambush for him in Church but the security men did not allow them. They then decided to sit by the pew close to the aisle to beat the security in the hope that the Vice President would see them while he walked to the front row. Yet, he still didn't see them.

After the church program they positioned that he will see them on his way out. However, the people following him out and security blocked his view. That was when the banker's wife decided to take a risk and like the woman with the issue of blood, she pulled the Vice President's cloth to get his attention who then turned and saw his old friend.

The young banker then narrated his plight and told the Vice President how he had tried to see him and what he needed to see him for. He told him about his application for a bank licence.

“Don’t worry yourself. Just come tomorrow at the Federal Executive Council meeting which I would preside because President Shehu Shagari would not be there,'' the Vice President assured him.

By 3.00pm the next day, the Finance Minister called the banker on phone that his licence was ready. The rest they say is history.

That young banker was Otunba Michael Olasubomi Balogun while the architect in this narrative was one of Africa’s Elder statesmen and former Vice President of the Republic of Nigeria, late Dr. Alex Ekwueme. The bank is what is now First City Monument Bank.

- It is good to love our neighbours as ourselves, and importantly - Honesty pays.

TRIBAL WAR IS THE MAJOR PROBLEM IN THIS COUNTRY. IF ONLY WE CAN BE UNITED WE WOULD ACHIEVE A GREAT THING.
WHEN A NIGERIAN IS DOING WELL,I PREFER THE WORD LIKE PROUDLY NIGERIAN . NOT OMO ODUA TOOTO OR IGBO AMAKA.
PLEASE LET MAKE THIS COUNTRY WORK AGAIN

2 Likes

Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Olam09(m): 9:54am On Apr 01, 2022
Amb1045:

A good lesson and example to all tribalist shouting yoloba, igboamaka, iyamuri, afonja the skull miners. Well i was about Turning a fulltime tribalist if not for
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by geodemainguy(m): 9:56am On Apr 01, 2022
Amb1045:

After reading the caption, i was expecting to see different kinds of memes depicting who knows tomorrow.

Who else felt this way?
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Dest8sman: 9:56am On Apr 01, 2022
Coldie:
My dad was the last born he was like 6years when the war started he had 2 direct older sisters and 5 brothers, naturally that meant they were all above 15when the war started, both my grandfather and his entire 5 brothers none did he ever see again after the war, even house destroyed, family was reduced to the barest form of poverty.

Igbos were fighting wars on 2 fronts, on one side as an Igbo youth especially of age if u refuse to join the war u were at risk, on the other side as an Igbo youth of age too if the Nigerian army saw u, u were also at risk whether u support Biafra or not.

Even if igbos can’t get the presidency, i as an Igbo person want them to give it to anybody from asaba, delta state. Every time I read what they went through just because of us it really pains my heart. That almost all their men and boys was lined up and massacred just like that, asaba people even in this life to the next, we owe u guys a debt that can never be repaid.

Point of correction please.

Asaba people did not underwent any massacre because of Igbos, rather, it was the other way around.

Remember Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna who planned the first coup are from Asaba side.

Remember Nzeogwu was the one who headed the coup in the North, and therefore, was involved in the killing of Ahmed Bello.

And remember that after these atrocities, many of these Deltas denied being Igbos, and aligned with Nigeria in the war.

The war was coursed by the Delta Igbos, not the Igbos across the Niger.

1 Like

Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by kernniejay(m): 9:56am On Apr 01, 2022
tayo60:
Igbos and Yorubas of then loved each other but reverse is the case now. But where did the hatred come from?
Here are the problems:
1. Igbos believe that Pa Awolowo is their arch enemey because he taught Gowon how to stop the Igbos and make them surrender during the Biafra war, which is a wrong belief.
2. Igbos always have inferiority complex. They always see themselves as a lesser citizen and less priviledged people of Nigeria, which is not true.
3. Igbos always play the victim's card. The see themselves as victims of any circumstance in Nigeria.
4. Igbos feel they are the most unloved and yet productive people in Nigeria. They feel that the country under values them and does not appreciate their industriousness. They are indeed very productive and highly enterprising.
The problems with the Yorubas are
1. Yorubas are too patient and kind and they allow other people to take advantage of their patjence and kindness.
2. Yorubas believe that their priority is to have peace irrespective of who the leader is or who has the power or who is in control.
3. Yorubas don't like to struggle or agitate or fight for what they are entitled to. They are too shy to make demands.
4. Yorubas are loving and honest people (there are exceptional cases), their honesty and love sometimes make them to be cheated.
These often cause friction. My opinion pls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by INTEGRITYA1(m): 9:58am On Apr 01, 2022
Great.
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by tollyboy5(m): 9:58am On Apr 01, 2022
Bonaventura:
Awolowo was not honest

When he was released from Calabar prison on the negotiations that he'll relay the plight of the Easterners and help end the war, due to his presidential ambition, he rather advised the then Federal Government to use hunger and starvation as a tool for war against the Igbos.

Gowon ordered awolowos release

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by omooba969(m): 9:59am On Apr 01, 2022
Coldie:
Nigeria is not moving forward cause Nigeria owes igbos a debt. Nigerias problem is not just leadership it’s also spiritual, yes there was a war no doubt and therefore according to some Nigerians igbos must pay for it.

But igbos have paid for it in full, from 3quarter of the Igbo population being wiped out, to our properties being seized to over 50years of marginalisation, how long would igbos continue to pay.

Like the story said nobody knows tomorrow, from Massob being quite peaceful then ipob came being not quite peaceful, should we wait until the next Biafra group comes that’s more organised and willing to do sth dastardly that will shake Nigeria?

Should we wait until there’s a Biafra group that will one day get in possession of a nuclear weapon and launch it towards Nigeria for revenge?

Nigerians let’s do the right thing, Obasanjo was in prison, he wasn’t even a pdp member he was released and made president just to pacify the yorubas, Goodluck Jonathan was made president to pacify the Niger delta but y is the case of igbos different?

Don’t we need to be pacified too?

If Nigerians want to be fair and want to be justifiable even u reading this low-key in your mind know that yorubas don’t deserve 2023 presidency, between 1999 till now u have produced president 8years, Vice President 8years again and u want to be president another 8years while in same south a region hasn’t even seen vp slot, is it fair?

I think you should direct your frustration to your south east governors and reps.
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by ComeToJesus: 9:59am On Apr 01, 2022
Even at the micro level here(Nairaland) Igbo and Yoruba youths are always at each other's jugular with derogatory names as Afonja and Flatinoes.

Very shallow nonentities.
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by LastProphet: 10:00am On Apr 01, 2022
tayo60:

The hatred comes from the boastfulness of the igbos, it cost them all they have suffered till date but they will never ever learn. Except for igbos raised outside the east who can sit back and think, the ones raised down there are incapable of thinking, someone once said it's the noise blaring from loudspeakers in their markets that interfere with their mental composure. Igbos are the only tribe where you see a professor and a trader having exactly the same opinion on almost everything, both the trader and the professor see Jonathan's tenure in exactly the same way, the professor has nothing deeper or more analytical to say. The reason is that both are driven by sentiment which is something igbos can never shake away.
The igbos were leading in almost everything before the civil war but their boastfulness made them lose it, see how fulanis are dominating now but without any noise, igbos cant do that they must rub it in your face and then bait you to respond to their affront by soliciting fake public sentiment. Igbos that can be calm and collected like Alex Ekweme, Peter Obi, Cosmas Maduka, Zik etc can achieve much in life but unfortunately the majority are incapable of deep introspection. All the hatred nigeria suffers abroad is caused 95% by igbos, my cousin just returned from Dubai after 5 years of struggling because Nigerians have become unemployable due to what igbo boys are doing there. Malaysia, Ghana, SA, kenya, anywhere its them but they wont listen. You cant make sense to igbos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Truth234(m): 10:00am On Apr 01, 2022
Bonaventura:
Awolowo was not honest

People like you will turn a good story into something else. If the story was reversed would an Igbo man return a landed property and the rent given how your people can die for land?

1 Like

Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Coldie(m): 10:01am On Apr 01, 2022
Dest8sman:

Point of correction please.

Asaba people did not underwent any massacre because of Igbos, rather, it was the other way around.

Remember Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna who planned the first coup are from Asaba side.

Remember Nzeogwu was the one who headed the coup in the North, and therefore, was involved in the killing of Ahmed Bello.

And remember that after these atrocities, many of these Deltas denied being Igbos, and aligned with Nigeria in the war.

The war was coursed by the Delta Igbos, not the Igbos across the Niger.
Majority of delta igbos who denied being igbos are those ones that claim Benin ancestry.

Nzeogwu started the coup no doubts but the war was avoidable. If I was ojukwu at that time I would do everything to stop the war, instead of him trying to him and his men started marching towards the west
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Bonaventura(m): 10:02am On Apr 01, 2022
kay29000:

So because of the thing you "alleged" that Awolowo did, you now hate all Yorubas... Even parents program their kids to hate Yorubas because or what what they feel ONE Yoruba man did 60 years ago. SMH

I was specific about Awolowo. I didn't mention the entire Yoruba race
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Blake755: 10:05am On Apr 01, 2022
A good example of if you scratch my back I will scratch urs no be u go pinch me and ask me to scratch u cuz I go punch u angry

1 Like

Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by RacistProudIgbo: 10:06am On Apr 01, 2022
Heavensent01:

hold Ojukwu responsible for his senseless war not Awo

Which Ojukwu, nothing senseless there because he don't want you half brains to remain in same land with us.
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Alonso91(m): 10:06am On Apr 01, 2022
Well am not here to impress you or force you to believe.....kwantinue yiimu

Yimu...[/quote]
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Coldie(m): 10:06am On Apr 01, 2022
omooba969:

I think you should direct your frustration to your south east governors and reps.
Nigerian presidency has passed the level of governors and reps. What hasn’t Rochas okorocha done to appease people, especially those from the north?.

Even Dave Umahi despite all the odds never hid the fact that he was a friend and ally of Buhari. Tell me
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by IbileIfe: 10:07am On Apr 01, 2022
Amb1045:
Honesty is the best policy
No to the majority of Nigerians and others in a world of lies of fake people and fake lives.
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by lomprico(m): 10:09am On Apr 01, 2022
tayo60:

APC brought it.
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by JayPeeOham: 10:10am On Apr 01, 2022
Parachoko:
So if not that he knows Ekwueme, there would have been no FCMB today?

Imagine how far we would have gone if there have been fairness in Nigeria.

I swear... Also imagine how far this connection thing has eaten deep into our system.

So you have to know the who is who in Nigeria to become something meaningful...

In other words, if Ekwueme wasn't the VP we wouldn't be having FCMB today undecided
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 01, 2022
No wonder. There is a fcmb bank at his home town in oko.
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Timmi: 10:12am On Apr 01, 2022
Bonaventura:
Awolowo was not honest

Since you asked - He died a natural death. Now let me ask you a question, why does your leader ran out of the country during the war?
Re: Alex Ekwueme & Olasubomi Balogun Story: Nobody Knows Tomorrow (Pictures) by Djponpin1(m): 10:15am On Apr 01, 2022
xeratek:
Not motivational at all. I think sey Na first bank e wan talk

Tell us about first bank

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jeff Bezos Agrees $35bn Divorce / "My Trillionaire Friend" Femi Otedola And Dangote Pictured Together At An Event / $4800 Sent To Me By My Brother Has Been Hijacked By Nigeria Customs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.