Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,040 members, 7,799,525 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks (18300 Views)

Council Boss Orders Demolition Of Shrine In Akwa Ibom For Aiding Crime -PHOTOS / FG Moves To End DSTV's Monopoly, Says Multichoice Is Cheating Nigerians / Abaribe Was Arrested For ‘Aiding And Abetting IPOB’ - Counsel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by dre11(m): 2:27pm On Apr 01, 2022
CCPC opens investigation into Jet A1 crisis

Barely 48 hour after descending on the operations and assets of illegal financial loan management outfits, the Federal Government, through the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC), has gone a step further to probe the activities of renowned search engine, Google, for aiding the loan sharks by enabling apps for loan requests. FCCPC had during the week closed 30 bank accounts belonging to some of the outfits, who are in the habit of going through their ‘customers’ personal details and exposing same to the public in the event of payment default.

The Commission said Google International would beheld accountable for allowing the operators to exploit Nigerians illegally via the creation of non-traceable illegal online loan platforms, which is an infringement on Nigerian consumers’ rights. Also, the FCCPC explained that it was currently investigating the activities of major oil marketers over the hike in aviation fuel or JET A1 and Automotive Gas Oil (AGO), otherwise known as diesel. Disclosing these at a media briefing in Lagos yesterday, the Executive Vice Chairman of the Commission, Mr Babatunde Irukera, said Google acted irresponsibly by allowing illegal loan sharks in Nigeria to create apps that violated the rights of Nigerians to their privacy protection, which constitutes national risks to the country as a whole. Irukera said that Google may not be welcome to do business in Nigeria again for creating an app that poses high risk to the country’s national interest and existence.

He pointed out that the app allowed the operators to freely venture into many Nigerians private lives. According to him, the 30 illegal loan companies operating in Nigeria freely have access to driver’s license, National Identification Number, voter’s cards and other sensitive information on the contact lists of those who borrowed monies from them.

The FCCPC boss explained that the Commission had been struggling to communicate with Google operators to no avail. Irukera said: “We are pulling down apps from Google play store. Even we as a regulator, we are running into trouble with Google.

I got a letter on Wednesday from someone who is a senior legal officer with Google in Africa and Middle East. “And in that letter, there is absolute no way to contact Google. I find that extremely reprehensive and shameful of a company in the size and magnitude as Google. “As a regulator, we are struggling to find Google and for Google to be able to enforce order of a regulator is problematic in your country, where Google is available and doing business, is the height of irresponsibility by a company with a huge brand like Google. “So I intend to hold Google responsible for that letter they have written and their own successive barriers to be engaged for enforcement.

I am going to hold Google responsible for that. “But it’s easier to hold Google responsible because we know where to go if I need to work with the law enforcement in California, United States, because we’ve got counterparts there. “And we will use our counterparts there and say Google, you are not welcome in this country if we can’t find you and the regulator cannot engage you when your platform is being used to exploit people. No, you are not welcome? “I don’t care if Google has an offices in Abuja and Lagos or not, but you must tell me where to find you when I have a problem. You provide a service, you allow people to put apps on the platform, and discover that app is the problem, and we are having problem finding you.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/apps-fg-moves-to-probe-google-for-aiding-loan-sharks/

lalasticlala

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by Prosperous111(m): 2:32pm On Apr 01, 2022
This government won't stop disgracing us at the international phase.

Why probing Google why you can just writes them to banned their accounts?

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by Callisto1(m): 2:35pm On Apr 01, 2022
This guy is bitting more than he can chew. Google is an independent company, not answereble to any country, not to talk of Nigeria. If those apps are still online, it means google has not found any reasons to take them offline. Get that into ur thick skulls APC fools

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by lordchiz(m): 2:36pm On Apr 01, 2022
Useless people with backwards mind!
U sure say I no go collect this loan sef as my national cake?

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by Emmajn1: 2:50pm On Apr 01, 2022
those apps should be banned. they are using Nigerians to do MMM. imagine giving someone loan of 40k and you ask the person to pay you 80k in just 14days. Even if the person is paying back 80k in 2 months, its still too much....is this not MMM. they are making cool cash from poor Nigerians. you borrow someone 6k and in 14 days you ask the person. to pay you 12k meaning you charged him 50% interest in 14days. This is a criminal act and they must be stopped. Their interest is too high and they are breaking CBN rules on loan issuance and interest to be charged on loans.

If you are owing them, don't pay them, they should fold up and go. The ones they have collected from poor Nigerians so far is OK.

they give you 4k and wants you to pay back 8k in 14 days
they give you 30k and wants you to pay back 65k in 2 months
8k to pay back 12k in 14 days
12k you pay back 18k in 14 days
100k you pay back 200k in 3 month

Tell me, is this not MMM with the poor masses

This is a criminal act and they must be arrested and stopped.

103 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by simeonabio(m): 3:01pm On Apr 01, 2022
Callisto1:
This guy is bitting more than he can chew. Google is an independent company, not answereble to any country, not to talk of Nigeria. If those apps are still online, it means google has not found any reasons to take them offline. Get that into ur thick skulls APC fools
Google is not an independent country. They have office in Nigeria. They can be blocked just like Twitter was blocked. Get your facts right

111 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 01, 2022
ILLITERATE GOVERNMENT
END NIGERIA NOW

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by SIRTee15: 3:05pm On Apr 01, 2022
Nigerian govt wants to swallow wetin big pass them them. U think una be Russia.
Google is the heartbeat of American economic might and espionage. Touch it and poke your eyes into Uncle Sam.
Dem go use sanction finish what's left of your rubbish and comatose economy.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by mustmust(m): 3:07pm On Apr 01, 2022
Callisto1:

oga you dont understand, your just blabbing.

The agency recently held a meeting with one of the biggest social media giants in the world and investigating them for data breach.

Google is an AMERICAN company and the Agency(FCCPC) has an MOU with the competition agency(FTC ) of the USA.

Google will bend or bow. If google is doing business in Nigeria, it will be held responsible

The man knows what he is doing .

Dont rush to comment for the sake of commenting

95 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by blue01(m): 3:31pm On Apr 01, 2022
Here to read comments, one has been threatening me since morning, if I get money I go pay them but if I no get then let them do what ever they want but me sha have warned him that if he dare try to send any nonsense to any of my contacts then he has to also go and collect the money from my contacts that he wants to send messages to.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by NGArmyTerrorist: 3:48pm On Apr 01, 2022
See stupidity! You wan contact Google to pulled down an app that they verified and it got a good stars in their platform. Why not go to California their office is there. Useless mpama! Keep disgracing the Zoo and zombies and those prostitutes debtors.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by greatiyk4u(m): 4:15pm On Apr 01, 2022
From comments above, Nigerians are insatiable

Anything this govt does is wrong to them

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by AntiBMC(m): 4:29pm On Apr 01, 2022
Hehe... What of the live sharks in the North, bombing trains and drinking innocent people's blood? When will they probe them?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by Blessedyouth888: 4:32pm On Apr 01, 2022
Good

1 Like

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by surmund: 5:32pm On Apr 01, 2022
okay

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by Fbisshit: 5:33pm On Apr 01, 2022
grin I'm now regretting not advising one chronic deptor to apply a loan from Lcredit.

3 Likes

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by omoredia: 5:33pm On Apr 01, 2022
Distraction. Failures should go

#supportomoredia4president2023
Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by NotBeenPaid: 5:33pm On Apr 01, 2022

Can this be moved to the joke section please?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by STEWpid(f): 5:33pm On Apr 01, 2022
Google is just doing business.

Let's focus on our own internal regulators that has been shut-dor-fk-off with bribery.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by Perfecttouchade: 5:33pm On Apr 01, 2022
Ok
Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by temptnow: 5:34pm On Apr 01, 2022
Nigerian government under Buhari is hungry, I pray they won't get $1 from Google.

Google won't even reply the illiterates

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by NotKnown: 5:34pm On Apr 01, 2022
I think on this part I'll blame the government.

Why wait for Google?

All loan apps give loans and hope that the loans will be repaid right? That means they must be paid into an account.

Very easy. Block all the accounts. If they open other accounts, block them again and invite and one who operates the accounts.

The account owners have BVN. Trace them and get them.

Waiting for Google is a time waster cos they will circumvent it and ask customers to use apk.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by MVLOX(m): 5:35pm On Apr 01, 2022
Hmmm ........ Make I just calm because if I talk dem fit ban me
Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by MathewOG(m): 5:35pm On Apr 01, 2022
those apps should be banned. they are using Nigerians to do MMM. imagine giving someone loan of 40k and you ask the person to pay you 80k in just 14days. Even if the person is paying back 80k in 2 months, its still too much....is this not MMM. they are making cool cash from poor Nigerians. you borrow someone 6k and in 14 days you ask the person. to pay you 12k meaning you charged him 50% interest in 14days. This is a criminal act and they must be stopped. Their interest is too high and they are breaking CBN rules on loan issuance and interest to be charged on loans.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by Ulunne777(f): 5:35pm On Apr 01, 2022
Yes close them all so that Nigerians owing only"2k” will now go to their families.
Those who when they default and are defamed now remember it was only just 9koo and had defaulted for 2 days only.

1 Like

Re: Apps: FG Moves To Probe Google For Aiding Loan Sharks by Pemisire2020(m): 5:35pm On Apr 01, 2022
Like that is the problem of Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Kidnapped Nasarawa Police Officers Rescued / Soldiers Burn Houses In Naka, Benue Community / INEC Wants N6bn To Feed Policemen During 2019 Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.