Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,773 members, 7,806,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:54 AM

Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? (13706 Views)

Imagine This Uncouth Woman As Your First Lady / Makinde Appoints Julian Nwachukwu, An Igbo Woman As Liaison Officer For Ibadan / Fayemi Picks Habibat Adubiaro, A Muslim Woman As Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by safarigirl(f): 10:38am On Apr 02, 2022
ume1000:
hey am not saying men in power are ok

But they are usually cretisized heavily ,the same can't be said for female leaders as any man whom criticize them is labelled a misogynist , believe it or not men and women in power are treated differently

If a female leader make gender biased laws ,it's seen as a no big deal

But we both know we never hear the end of it if it was done by a man

You're talking rubbish that has no base

There have been women in power, do you think nobody has criticised Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf? Do you think Angela Merkel did not get heavily criticised? Have you not seen the criticisms on Kamala Harris? Even Michelle Obama that was just First Lady, continues to be heavily criticised.

The PM of New Zealand is a woman, go and read

Stop touting unproven and baseless nonsense on the internet in 2022. Read

4 Likes

Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by fitinwell: 10:42am On Apr 02, 2022
ablejesus26:
It's no secret how women in Nigeria have times without number clamour to get more opportunities in positions of power in the Country.
Can you entrust your vote to a woman and empower her to champion the affairs of the Country?
How do you perceive having a Woman as President of Nigeria?

No

1 Like

Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by ShaqFu: 10:42am On Apr 02, 2022
Praxis758:
Yes!!!!!!!!
Yes!!!!!!!
And Yes!!!!!!!!!

Women like Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala and late Prof. Dora Akunyili would perform excellently better than any male president in the Nigeria of today.

For those who will abuse or criticism my point, can you point out a single man who have out-performed those two women in their respective fields.

Birthing a national change doesn't recognize gender
Babatunde Fashola.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by ume1000: 10:42am On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:

You're talking rubbish that has no base

There have been women in power, do you think nobody has criticised Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf? Do you think Angela Merkel did not get heavily criticised? Have you not seen the criticisms on Kamala Harris? Even Michelle Obama that was just First Lady, continues to be heavily criticised.

The PM of New Zealand is a woman, go and read

Stop touting unproven and baseless nonsense on the internet in 2022. Read
insulting anyone whom criticize you has always been a trade mark of ur gender ,am not surprised here
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by safarigirl(f): 10:44am On Apr 02, 2022
Pakute:

A Google search would have prevented you from proudly embarrassing your generation in public in sheer ignorance. Not less than two African women completed their tenure as President of their countries as recently as 2018.
Is it you that can't make a good use of the little brain you've got but want to spread your legs to the highest political position of the country?.. I say God forbid.

Aside Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, who is the second African woman that completed a tenure as President? And please, ensure that this woman was ELECTED as President when you want to respond to me, not President by way of death or "make dem just dey there until we find a capable man"

We are talking about electing an African President here. So, in your state of knowledge, please, tell us the second elected woman that recently finished their tenure as at 2018.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by safarigirl(f): 10:46am On Apr 02, 2022
ume1000:
insulting anyone whom criticize you has always been a trade mark of ur gender ,am not surprised here

I did not insult you

I did not say one word of insult to you

I called your statement baseless rubbish and that is a statement of fact

If you have any fact-based opinion to prove that your statement is not baseless rubbish, state it, or wear your cloak of ignorance and walk away.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by safarigirl(f): 10:47am On Apr 02, 2022
ShaqFu:
Babatunde Fashola.

The failed minister of power whose portfolio had to be slimmed down to avoid further disgrace?

Please, mention someone else

3 Likes

Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by ume1000: 10:55am On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:

I did not insult you

If you have any fact-based opinion to prove that your statement is not baseless rubbish, state it, or wear your cloak of ignorance and walk away.

did u know new Zealand has experience a progressive annual GDP growth decline since 2016
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by ShaqFu: 11:00am On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:

The failed minister of power whose portfolio had to be slimmed down to avoid further disgrace?

Please, mention someone else
Babatunde Fashola.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by IamV: 11:14am On Apr 02, 2022
Cutehector:
Ngozi Okonjo Iweala is far better than all the presidential aspirants combined.

Have she shown interest to contest for the seat of presidency ?
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by toprealman: 11:19am On Apr 02, 2022
abobote:

What is this about this Yemi, that we have not seen for the past 7yrs?
He is part of the mess, we are seeing today
Yemi, Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, Wike......others
Please choose your poison from this menu.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by harmony75: 11:21am On Apr 02, 2022
Yes
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by IamV: 11:21am On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:

I did not insult you

"You're talking rubbish that has no base"

That's you being emotional.

You can simply say ,"I disagree with you ", especially when you're having a civil argument.
You can disagree with people without getting all emotional.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by IamV: 11:26am On Apr 02, 2022
ume1000:

How she don't realize that these is offensive when you're engaging in civil argument with someone beats my imagination.
When someone start getting all emotional when they disagree with you,is better you ignore them,unless you want to expend your energy engaging in pointless discussion with such a person all day.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by ume1000: 11:40am On Apr 02, 2022
IamV:

How she don't realize that these is offensive when you're engaging in civil argument with someone beats my imagination.
When someone start getting all emotional when they disagree with you,is better you ignore them,unless you want to expend your energy engaging in pointless discussion with such a person all day.
thanks
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by Pakute: 11:59am On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:

Aside Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, who is the second African woman that completed a tenure as President? And please, ensure that this woman was ELECTED as President when you want to respond to me, not President by way of death or "make dem just dey there until we find a capable man"

We are talking about electing an African President here. So, in your state of knowledge, please, tell us the second elected woman that recently finished their tenure as at 2018.
Ameenah Gurib- Fakim was the first woman elected as President of Mauritius. Besides, no matter how you may try as hard to spin it, those women who served as Acting President, irrespective of whatever must have happened to the serving Presidents, did so based of on the fact that they were jointly elected alongside their bosses. Therefore, technically they were elected in the eyes of the law. The fact that they could be elected on a joint ticket, completed the tenure of their Administration as Acting President, is evident that African women who are worth their salt ( obviously fewer in number)could be elected as President.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by Pojaay(m): 12:02pm On Apr 02, 2022
Hell No, Nigeria not yet ready for weaker vessels to rule.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by safarigirl(f): 12:06pm On Apr 02, 2022
Pakute:

Ameenah Gurib- Fakim was the first woman elected as President of Mauritius. Besides, no matter how you may try as hard to spin it, those women who served as Acting President, irrespective of whatever must have happened to the serving Presidents, did so based of on the fact that they were jointly elected alongside their bosses. Therefore, technically they were elected in the eyes of the law. The fact that they could be elected on a joint ticket, completed the tenure of their Administration as Acting President, is evident that African women who are worth their salt ( obviously fewer in number)could be elected as President.

She was elected by the National Assembly for a largely ceremonial role.

The women were not elected largely by their own merit, I am sure nobody even considered running mate. They just saw the President and that was enough for most. Most of the world elects the President, the VP, is viewed as mostly a ceremonial role

Either way, aside Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, no other African woman has gone through a proper democratic electoral process to be President in the way the question being posed means.

So, you need not try to save Africa's face by discrediting that lady's point.

In fact, even if the whole of Africa were to somehow elect women, this particular country of yours will never change.

I am sure you have gone through the comments on this topic already to see how much Nigerian men loathe the idea of a female leader, and the women are not much better.

4 Likes

Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by safarigirl(f): 12:08pm On Apr 02, 2022
IamV:

Talking rubbish that has no base is not an insult

It is a statement of fact

If there is a base and it is sensible he should state it.

I am not discussing with anyone who has such a vapid opinion, I am just telling him it is rubbish

You can cry alongside him

3 Likes

Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by ellizy(m): 12:09pm On Apr 02, 2022
If a woman becomes the president, Nigeria will still be govern by men..
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by safarigirl(f): 12:13pm On Apr 02, 2022
IamV:

That's you being emotional.

You can simply say ,"I disagree with you ", especially when you're having a civil argument.
You can disagree with people without getting all emotional.

Every statement he has made is an emotional statement. Where is the logic in saying "people will not criticise women because they are women?" Does that not sound emotional to you?

We are in a country where some of the most criticised leaders have been women, from Oby Ezekwesili to NOI, Stella Oduah and Allison-Madueke. You will not find a man from past administrations that has been more criticised than Allison-Madueke, so, where is the justification for logic in that statement?

He really came to talk about a "virtuous" woman for Presidency. Have you ever heard anyone use that term for a man?

It is funny how you did not see emotion in his own words, but you have seen emotion in mine

Clean your eyes, and make clear judgements that are not driven by your own bias and emotions.

5 Likes

Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 02, 2022
Simran94:

And since the male gender has been given the nation to handle, what has come out of it asides from corruption, embezzlement, famine and insecurity?
See all your governors in the country spending multimillions of naira on GIRLS, buying expensive houses and cars for them, sponsoring their trips to other countries in private Jets. All with the Public funds meant for the development of each states.

Other developed nations are putting women in power, the leader of New Zealand since 2017 has been a woman and there’s has been no complaints about her, the VP of US is a woman. Look at the parliament members in the US, Canada, New Zealand and the rest there are tons of women leading political parties. But here in Nigeria, out of 360 members of the house of rep, how many women were given a sit?

Women make up only 25% in US congress. Current New Zealand leader is a disaster.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by Getsaved(m): 12:27pm On Apr 02, 2022
A woman who can be very radical at doing what is right no matter whose horse goad for the benefit of the masses. A woman who stand to do the right thing at the detriment of her life.

The the leader who will lead this cou try Nigeria to bring real and lasting positive change for all will be someone who will be very very radical to do what is right and morally upright even if it means his/her life would go for it. That person will step on many toes. His own people will be affected and even cause him. It is a person who must work with other people of his character, charisma, competence, wisdom, zeal, fortitude to do right.

Okonjo Iweala has refused to come out. Dora is dead. Akinwumi Adesina has not shown interest, So who else ?

I am still looking at Sowore. Let see as it goes
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by IamV: 12:28pm On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:

Every statement he has made is an emotional statement. Where is the logic in saying "people will not criticise women because they are women?" Does that not sound emotional to you?

We are in a country where some of the most criticised leaders have been women, from Oby Ezekwesili to NOI, Stella Oduah and Allison-Madueke. You will not find a man from past administrations that has been more criticised than Allison-Madueke, so, where is the justification for logic in that statement?

He really came to talk about a "virtuous" woman for Presidency. Have you ever heard anyone use that term for a man?

It is funny how you did not see emotion in his own words, but you have seen emotion in mine

Clean your eyes, and make clear judgements that are not driven by your own bias and emotions.
Kk.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by EMONFASHION65: 12:33pm On Apr 02, 2022
YES IF NGOZI OKONJO IWUALA IS CONTESTING. NOT BECAUSE SHE'S FROM SOUTH EAST, BUT BECAUSE SHE'S THE ONLY WOMAN OF TODAY WITH UNQUESTIONABLE CHARACTER.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 02, 2022
EMONFASHION65:
YES IF NGOZI OKONJO IWUALA IS CONTESTING. NOT BECAUSE SHE'S FROM SOUTH EAST, BUT BECAUSE SHE'S THE ONLY WOMAN OF TODAY WITH UNQUESTIONABLE CHARACTER.

I'm just laughing here. The same Okonji that Nigeria's resources was looted under her care abi another one? What has she done for Nigeria in her present role as WTO chair? Abi na just vibes and Ankara dressings.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by Pakute: 12:40pm On Apr 02, 2022
safarigirl:

She was elected by the National Assembly for a largely ceremonial role.

The women were not elected largely by their own merit, I am sure nobody even considered running mate. They just saw the President and that was enough for most. Most of the world elects the President, the VP, is viewed as mostly a ceremonial role

Either way, aside Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, no other African woman has gone through a proper democratic electoral process to be President in the way the question being posed means.

So, you need not try to save Africa's face by discrediting that lady's point.

In fact, even if the whole of Africa were to somehow elect women, this particular country of yours will never change.

I am sure you have gone through the comments on this topic already to see how much Nigerian men loathe the idea of a female leader, and the women are not much better.

What da balderdash are you on about?. Have you failed to take into cognizance the fact that African countries practice different systems of Government. In Mauritius for instance, members of parliament elect the head of Government such as it is usually applied in a parliamentary system, in contrast to Malawi where a Presidential system of Government is being practised, Joyce Benda exercised full executive powers and implemented government policies on political matters. Therefore, the powers of each office largely depends on the system of Government adopted.
You wouldn't entirely blame Nigerian men because we found ourselves in a very peculiar country in which we have the highest number of Educated population in Africa. Nigerian men would not lower the standards of the highest office in the country just so to accommodate gender bias. Women would have to do a lot more to up their standards if they want to be voted into the office of the Presidency. Evidences abound from everyday responses from the female folks showing their subpar level of intellectual capacities on a forum as large as Nairaland which reflects the microcosm of Nigerian female representation.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by redsun(m): 12:42pm On Apr 02, 2022
The present female politicians in Nigeria godmothers themselves. They are more hardened than the men because they have to do more to prove themselves to fit into the gang.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by skywalker240(m): 12:43pm On Apr 02, 2022
ziondaughter247:

You are a very insecure small man!! So all the African men that have been ruling have only brought serenity Huh! very stupid analogy
you just insulted someone better than your father

learn to address people old enough to birth you with sanity and you will be alright poor child.

but then again

AN AFRICAN WOMAN WITH POWER IS CHAOS UNPROPHESIED.

and a Woman will never rule Nigeria, if youre not okay with it you can go and die.

your type will even be worst than Patricia Ette or Alison Madueke Deziani.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by hermesprogidy(m): 12:48pm On Apr 02, 2022
NO!!!!!!! Women are like fire. Good servants, but bad masters.
Re: Can You Vote For A Woman As President Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 02, 2022
AmosFishon:

Women make up only 25% in US congress. Current New Zealand leader is a disaster.

Lol, disaster? Coming from a citizen of one of the worst countries of the world. The word “disaster” should be associated with your president Bihari, who is still pampering terrorists and feeding them under your noses, a nation that can’t even boast of 24hr electricity for just one day!
New Zealand was the first country in the world to be able to put Covid 19 under control thanks to the activeness and decisions of this same woman.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Probe Jonathan, By Yadudu, Falana, Okoye / Inspector General Of Police Emplaces Robust Security Arrangement Nationwide / Tackle Poverty, Not Almajirai - Okorocha Tells Northern Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.