Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,191 members, 7,780,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:21 PM

Hope From Nollywood: Debut Of I Am Nazzy By Tony Ademiluyi - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Hope From Nollywood: Debut Of I Am Nazzy By Tony Ademiluyi (373 Views)

‘Coming 2 America’: Davido Invited To View His Hollywood Debut Movie / BBNaija: Tony Umez Vs Ozo Vs Nengi / Fate Of Alakada: Mercy Eke Makes Acting Debut With Broda Shaggi, Toyin Abraham (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Hope From Nollywood: Debut Of I Am Nazzy By Tony Ademiluyi by tonyluyi1985: 5:16am On Apr 07, 2022
I have argued in an earlier article that one key partner to winning the war against the stigmatization of the mentally challenged in Nigeria is Nollywood because of their immense clout both at home and in the Diaspora.

I had previously criticized them in an article published on this platform as they portrayed the mentally challenged in Africa’s most populous nation and tragically the Giant on wobbly feet in very bad light.

The debut of Chinonso Arubayi’s movie ‘I am Nazzy’ which was directed by veteran actor, Kayode Peters hopes to change the ugly narrative of the bad portrayal of the Nigerian community of the mentally challenged.

I Am Nazzy throws up an interesting narrative on identity, as the lead character, who is a fast-rising artiste mistakenly switches places with a never-do-well who lacks the glitz and glamour she enjoys.

Arubayi has this to say about the movie: “The cast hopes to pull on the heartstrings of Nigerians with this romantic comedy while spreading the important message of appreciating the life you have. I am Nazzy shows that all that glitters is not gold; it is a story of life, dreams, hope and self-discovery.”

The interesting movie parades some of the best actors in the industry including Jidekene Achufusi, Jimmy Odukoya, Denrele Edun, IK Ogbonna, and Ada Jesus among others.

It is heart warming to see that slowly but surely there are better portrayals of the mentally challenged in Nigeria and the age-long stereotypic mindset of their being afflicted with demons in need of painful exorcism is fast being consigned to the garbage heap of history.

It is the duty to Nollywood to teach Nigerians that mental illness can happen to anyone irrespective of age, gender, creed, political affiliations or social status. It is like any other ailment like diabetes, hypertension, high blood pressure etc that can be effectively managed.

I was aghast when a friend of mine who is a doctorate degree holder – his doctorate obtained from a British University and is a counter terrorism expert said that his ex wife’s sudden mental illness was a punishment from God for her being unfaithful to him after bringing her over to the UK from Nigeria. I was really shocked at the ridiculous and asinine mindset but that is the cruel reality of many Nigerians who display a high level of ignorance with regards to the ailment.

In the West, it is no big deal for celebrities to be open about their mental health struggles. Kanye West now known as Ye has brought his to the front burner for global discourse which will make the battle for the de-stigmatization of the ailment easier and swifter.

I look forward to the time when sufferers of the ailment will be open about it in Nigeria and not see their therapy sessions or visits to the shrink as something to be ashamed of. This dream can be hastened via the urgent intervention of Nollywood; ‘I am Nazzy’ has set the motion for it and we need more producers to sustain this noble momentum.

I honestly hope to witness this in my lifetime!

SOURCE: https://africavoiceshq.com/2022/04/07/hope-from-nollywood-debut-of-i-am-nazzy-by-tony-ademiluyi/

(1) (Reply)

Late Dejo Tunfulu’s Son Narrates How He Passed / Check Out The Funniest Man Alive / Greatest Afrobeat Freestyle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.