Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,358 members, 7,780,972 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:39 AM

Website For A State Government - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Website For A State Government (1014 Views)

Photos: Lagos State Government Website (lagosstate.gov.ng) Has Been Hacked / Lagos State Government Website Hacked / Lagos State Government Home Ownership Mortgage Scheme Launches Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Website For A State Government by saywhat(m): 10:14am On Aug 06, 2007
Webmasters, i have a question. How much will it cost to design a website for a state government?

I need responses, i hear this place is the best place to ask.
Re: Website For A State Government by kinharold(m): 10:54am On Aug 06, 2007
Please, send some details of the major features of the proposed site to kinharold2@yahoo.com

regards
Re: Website For A State Government by seundare(m): 10:55am On Aug 06, 2007
Depending on the kind of website you want to design, but with N500,000 you can get a full functional website, world class design and creative content solutions. You can call me on 08030838906 or logon to my website www.webthinkers.net for more information.
Re: Website For A State Government by Afam(m): 9:39pm On Aug 06, 2007
I don't think there is a fixed or even recommended cost for designing a government website, just charge enough to cover the cost of the work you will put in. Just make sure you design the website well enough for other states to ask you to redesign theirs or create new ones.
Re: Website For A State Government by opensource(m): 11:22pm On Aug 06, 2007
depends if you building for alemeshia and Orji Uzor then i advice you to make your self a millionaire becauser its your chance , but what i always tell me fellow programmers give the best to your client
Re: Website For A State Government by my2cents(m): 11:45pm On Aug 06, 2007
I say the site should cost no more than N4,000 tongue
Re: Website For A State Government by fransois2(m): 2:24pm On Aug 07, 2007
Hi,
It depends on the features you want on the websites. Please visit www.web4africa.net for details on pricing and feel free to contact us any time.
Thanks
Re: Website For A State Government by Afam(m): 9:55am On Aug 08, 2007
my2cents:

I say the site should cost no more than N4,000 tongue

If it is ok for the designer why not?

You guys keep forgetting that web design/development is something that has more to do with the brain and skills than with naira and kobo.

Again, people have carefully or tactfully been mixing things up to maintain their positions based on faulty premises.

Web design is one thing, web hosting is another just as domain name registration is yet another.
Re: Website For A State Government by tundewoods(m): 11:40am On Aug 08, 2007
Here is a simple way to arrive at the amount to Charge for a State Goverment Web.

Make sure the initial mobilization fee that they pay is abl to cover the entire project,by this i mean that if you plan to charge 1.2 Million Naira for the interface design and application development.

Then you are likely yo get a mobilization fee ranging from 40 - 60% of the total amount of the project.

Always make sure that this initial mobilization will cover the entire project,In case you are asking why ?

Both State & Federal Governments have a bad habit of paying up balance for projects executed by contractors on time. If you are lucky you will get paid your balance after about 6 - 9 months.Ask Civil engineering & contruction companies executiing contracts for your state goverment and they will enlighten you better.

So the simple logic is to ensure that your actual charge recovered from the initial mobilization fee paid to you.

Also you may want to consider the nigerian factor of Kick backs and percentage cuts that you contact person will ask for.If you are lucky they may ask for 10% but the greedy shylocks may require a pound of flesh as much as 20%.

Be wise and charge like a professional and lastly you better arrange and present a complete web team comprising of Visual designers, Content Managers,copywriters,web programmers & database back admins to justify your Bill if its running into Millions.Never make the mistake of making the project look like a one man thing flaunting a single web guru.

1 Like

Re: Website For A State Government by Afam(m): 1:11pm On Aug 08, 2007
tundewoods:

Here is a simple way to arrive at the amount to Charge for a State Goverment Web.

Be wise and charge like a professional and lastly you better arrange and present a complete web team comprising of Visual designers, Content Managers,copywriters,web programmers & database back admins to justify your Bill if its running into Millions.Never make the mistake of making the project look like a one man thing flaunting a single web guru.

The reproduced quote above is revealing and will put to rest the reason why quite a number of people are bitter about someone being able to design a website for N4k.

Now, the originator of this thread is being advised to present a complete web team comprising of visual designers, content managers, copy writers, web programmers & database back admins to justify a high bill if it is running into millions.

Now, this is based on the assumption that the adviser knows how state government contracts are awarded or that as a professional he has a standard price to charge for web projects.

My take on the advice with reference to specific members of the team is this

Visual Designers

In a government owned website I am yet to see why it is a must to have these people in the team

Content Managers

In this age and time why should we be talking of managing content for the client when all serious web programmers integrate a good admin module to take care of updates and/or additions that may arise after the website is delivered?

Copy writers

State government websites are not meant to cajole or entice people into making buying decisions, the focus should be on information dissemination and tasks completion.

Web programmers

A must, makes a lot of sense

Database back admins

Necessary for a database driven website but in reality the client decides what type of website he/she/it wants

So, while some would want to justify high cost of setting up web projects (referencing the quote above) it is important to note that with the reasons given by the adviser it is clear that it is indeed possible for one to charge N4k for a website if the person understands all the skills as highlighted by the adviser.

Companies like Hyperia and Linkserve charged more than N150,000.00 for 5 page static websites in the past and yet those websites were pretty much useless for that price.

As at that time they charged about N5,000.00 - N15,000.00 per picture. Maybe some of us worked there and are used to such very high charges.

Meanwhile, I would like those talking big to post at least 3 websites they have setup and how much they charged (if possible) so that we can have a feel of what they are saying.

Yahoo started providing services at very low rates and for free just like google, today we know where they are.

Let us also wait for our big boys that charge millions for websites to get to where the likes of google and yahoo are today.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Re: Website For A State Government by tundewoods(m): 2:22pm On Aug 08, 2007
My dear,it seems we regularly forget the definition of a discussion forum,a place where freedom of speech reigns with everyone at liberty to air his or her own opinions and views.

Let me identify the problem here,you simply can't stand the fact that folks like us will never see reason in designing a website for 4K.

Secondly flaunting websites on forums is not my idea of professionalism & maturity.I know some of us that will always make reference to their works just to show off.

Honestly this is simply a forum for us to air our views and not changing thread topics to past settled issues regarding designing websites for peanuts.

Real web developers do not flaunt their projects on forums bragging about them.

One love

1 Like

Re: Website For A State Government by Afam(m): 2:38pm On Aug 08, 2007
Another talking, little or no action.

Now, unless the websites you design do not really run on the net I wonder what the big deal is for you to point to websites you have done or do you hide them inside CDs and show them to State governments?

I believe you are missing the point completely on N4k website.

You stated you can do it for free or have the client buy you lunch.

Another person stated that N4k can be charged for a website.

Another still believes that N20k, N200k or N1M is a good place to start.

Now, going by your understanding of the meaning of forum you will agree with me that everyone has a right to design a website for any price without being insulted. Mind you I took exception to your use of the word KIDS to describe people that design websites that cheap.

Ok, can we see your own company website since you design good sites for others? Is that too much to ask?

As a professional programmer that you claim you are I want to ask clients to contact you but before doing so I need to see your previous works.

Or, are you asking me to believe all you say just because you are the one saying it or what?

No personal website, no company website, no references, yet you have the guts to abuse people?

My dear, humility is key to real success, leave out the grandstanding for a moment.
Re: Website For A State Government by tundewoods(m): 2:53pm On Aug 08, 2007
And when did it become a crime or an offence not to reveal my company's url or those of my clients.You know what we need to grow up.Its plain simple and not worth an aurguement.I will certianly not post any urls to the forum because thats not what this thread is all about.

Learn to let things go.I never asked you to refer a client to me so whats the fuss about my url.
Re: Website For A State Government by Afam(m): 3:11pm On Aug 08, 2007
Hmmm, don't get worked up over nothing. Considering the number of requests to develop websites (which I cannot handle) I often refer them to other web developers that can help them and that includes any good web developer out there.

So you know that this thread is about advice when you veered off and starting making silly remarks about other peoples preferences or styles? Typical Nigerian, will always attempt to justify mistakes rather than accept them or even correct them.

My dear, advice people if you must but until you have something one can take a look at I see you as one of those people that develop their projects with mouth and boasting.

Enjoy! I don let go since, na reply I been reply your comment.
Re: Website For A State Government by tundewoods(m): 3:28pm On Aug 08, 2007

Afam my dear friend,you your pride and level of bragging will not help.Here you go again bragging about the number of website folks ask you to develop being infinite.Yes i agree after all you have stated that you can design websites for as low as 4K.Sorry to decline your offer but i don't think i'd need you to pass any of your clients over to me.

Blessed are the meek,they shall inherit all.

Re: Website For A State Government by tundewoods(m): 3:31pm On Aug 08, 2007

I love this forum.Liberty of opinion is paramount.

Re: Website For A State Government by saywhat(m): 4:00pm On Aug 08, 2007
When i came back to check if there were replies to my post. I saw 15 replies, and i thought they were all good replies, but to my surprise, i found that half of the replies are beef words. When will this " post your website " thing stop on nairaland.

To those good replies, i say thank you. No one has given me the total possible cost.
Re: Website For A State Government by Afam(m): 4:05pm On Aug 08, 2007
@tundewoods,

Bragging? Boasting?

If you see my posts as such feel very free.

I do not design websites for N4k but anyone that wants to do so can design them for N4k and that does not make that person a kid or a hungry man, that is my point.

To begin with, I say no to a lot of clients because they claim my charges are on the high side and I know why I charge what I charge.

But to insult people and label them as kids because they have chosen to charge less is plain wrong and I am not surprised that you don't realize how wrong you are.

@saywhat,

You may join the band wagon at your own peril.

My first advice remains that you should charge for the project based on what makes sense to you especially as it concerns what you are expected to deliver.

If you are looking for a total possible cost then you are already on a wrong track because no one can give you that.

Looking back now, I think I have a good idea why Nigerians are easily short changed, they prefer to hear what they want to hear as against what they should hear.

(1) (Reply)

Plzz Help Me: Its About My Cpanel / My Php Tutorials For Newbies / Please I Need Videos For Jquery And Ajax

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.