Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her (18893 Views)

Chidinma Ojukwu Makes U-turn, Denies Killing Usifo Ataga / Uduak-Abasi Akpan Sentenced To Death For Murder Of Iniubong Umoren / Suspected Rapist Beaten To Coma In Ondo After Plucking Victim’s Eyes (Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by NwekeUG(m): 9:00pm On Apr 08, 2022
Uduak-Abasi Akpan, the man arrested over the alleged rape and murder of 26-year-old Akwa Ibom jobseeker, Miss Iniubong Umoren, has denied knowing the deceased, IgbereTV reports.

Recall that Inubong Umoren had gone for a job interview after she posted on Twitter that she needed a job and Akpan allegedly invited her to come for an interview. She told her best friend about this and the friend raised alarm when she received an audio message from Ini screaming after which Ini's number was no longer reachable. Police investigations resulted in the arrest of Akpan who confessed that Ini wasn't his first victim.

While being led to open his defence at the Akwa Ibom State High Court sitting in Uyo, the state capital on Wednesday, April 6, Akpan denied knowing one Miriam Akpan and Blessing Sunday, who the prosecution had alleged were also his rape victims.

While responding to a question by his lawyer, Samson Adula, who asked him to tell the court what he knew about the charges of rape and murder of Iniubong Umoren levelled against him, Akpan replied by saying;

“My Lord, I do not know Miss Iniubong Umoren. I only came to know that name when I was served with the proceedings of this trial at the prison. For the second charge of rape, my Lord, I do not know anything about rape. I have never raped anybody.”

On the alleged rape of one Miriam Akpan and Blessing Sunday, the accused, said;

“I do not know those two names. My Lord, I can say that the allegations by Miriam Akpan and Blessing Sunday were mere set-up.”

However, during cross-examination when the prosecuting counsel, Christopher Udoh, asked him if he remembered that when he was brought to court for trial on July 26, 2021, in respect of late Umoren’s case that he had pleaded guilty to the charge of murder, and ‘not guilty’ to rape, he told the court that he was feeling traumatized that very day. He added that he pleaded guilty to the charge of murder because the Investigating Police Officer, IPO, Archibong, had asked him to plead guilty.

Akpan further told the court during cross-examination that when he visited his father, Mr. Frank Akpan (second accused person) on April 29, 2021, that both of them left the compound together.

Asked between him and his father who returned to the House first, he said;

“I am not sure when my father went back to the House. I never went back to the House. My Lord, I spent the night in the house of my relative, Agnes Inyang at Osongama Estate, Uyo.”

The accused in his defence, said when he left his family compound at Uruan LGA, on April 29, 2021, he went for a business, to see one Gregory Udofia in Uyo, whom he claimed wanted to sell his property in town.

He further told the court that the next day being April 30, 2021, he travelled to Calabar, Cross River State to visit her younger sister, Anwan-Bassey Akpan, the third accused person.

The trial judge, Justice Bassey Nkanang adjourned the case till April 11 and 12, 2022, for the continuation of trial.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcFbMj7NP2P/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by chizzypresh(f): 9:02pm On Apr 08, 2022
Just imagine and they will bury this case just like that lipsrsealed

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Ryda(m): 9:08pm On Apr 08, 2022
I knew there's definitely going to be a U turn when he started denying some facts.

The justice system in this country ehn. angry

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:09pm On Apr 08, 2022
a rapist can say whatever they desire to pretend to be innocent, the EVIDENCE does not lie.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Karmaisme(m): 9:09pm On Apr 08, 2022
If I have just one minute with this idiot, I will crush him.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Obascoetubi: 9:52pm On Apr 08, 2022
Igbo ppl sabi lie

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Triangles1(m): 7:15am On Apr 09, 2022
This case again.
Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Saviourfresh: 7:15am On Apr 09, 2022
They should beat the hell outta him.

3 Likes

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Freddonance(m): 7:16am On Apr 09, 2022
This is what you get when our judiciary delay justice, whether deliberately or not.
They say justice delayed is justice denied.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by observer88: 7:16am On Apr 09, 2022
This is what happens when a case stretches for too long... See as the idiot begin release gbosa upon gbosa!

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by WibusJaga: 7:16am On Apr 09, 2022

My people, una see why Jungle Justice go hard to stop for this country.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Akinsete19(m): 7:16am On Apr 09, 2022
Lol, when justice was delayed, why won't he be double mouthed.

6 Likes

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by chaseblack(m): 7:17am On Apr 09, 2022
That's what you get when you delay a case especially in a country like Nigeria where there is certainly no preservation of evidence.

Just wait out till all evidence have gone missing and claim you are innocent, it will have to be a case of 'you say- I say -they say'.

Smart legal move, prosecutors next move will decide the case. I hope they have a hidden card to play.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by MRDEE01: 7:18am On Apr 09, 2022
Mr Hundeyin was right in his investigation, but he was intimidated to apologise

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by AK481(m): 7:19am On Apr 09, 2022
Just like film,everything we all believed and follow on twitter.

Gaslighting will soon set in ,even key witnesses will begin to doubt what they saw.

1 Like

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by GoldenJAT(m): 7:19am On Apr 09, 2022
Na to enter that court room carry that manchi!! When hand touch am, him go sing songs!!

5 Likes

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Sabadon(m): 7:20am On Apr 09, 2022
observer88:
This is what happens when a case stretches for too long... See as the idiot begin release gbosa upon gbosa!
gbam you just summarised it all.....our justice system is messed up
Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Pele10: 7:22am On Apr 09, 2022
Justice delayed may be justice denied..the evidience to prove this case beyond reasonable doubt have been proved already, so why the delay.

1 Like

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by bestman09(m): 7:22am On Apr 09, 2022
sad
Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by MadeINchenzen2: 7:23am On Apr 09, 2022
The thing is... lemme not talk
Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:24am On Apr 09, 2022
Lawyer don advice am.
Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by afamaustin(m): 7:26am On Apr 09, 2022
So who owns and lives in d said compund
Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Akakanfirstclass(m): 7:27am On Apr 09, 2022
When you know people that knows people at the top, you become invincible..
Especially in a corrupt country with serious inflated economy..

All what the people at the top have to say to the judge is...
"My lord, what can 100 million do for you ?"
And with the hunger in the land, even a mother can forsake her breastfeeding child just to survive..
Na only who dey alive go fit see better days head..

3 Likes

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Commybabe(f): 7:28am On Apr 09, 2022
Na like this this matter go just die.God
Help us.

1 Like

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Fashionista01(f): 7:28am On Apr 09, 2022
Rapist and killers don't deserve to go to court. The deserve judgement by thunder.

2 Likes

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by sphinixs2: 7:30am On Apr 09, 2022
NwekeUG:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcFbMj7NP2P/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Many lawyers lack conscience. This can only be his defence lawyer's strategy to utilise any available loophole in the case. Empathy should be a word for human beings abeg.

1 Like

Re: Suspected Rapist And Killer Of Iniubong Umoren Makes U-Turn, Denies Knowing Her by Nobody: 7:33am On Apr 09, 2022
Madness

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

N2.5bn Fraud: Court Orders Ishaq Kawu To Appear ‘Even On Stretcher’ / Pregnant Nigerian Lady Cries Out For Help After Being Battered And Held Hostage / Pipeline Vandals Vow Further Niger Delta Attacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.