Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again (19301 Views)

Electricity Grid Collapses Again / Blackout Looms As National Grid Collapses Again / Electricity: National Grid Restored; Minister Of Power Abubakar Aliyu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by just2endowed: 10:23am On Apr 09, 2022
Emma1Oj:
so...u even had light and njoying light abi..? E ku nowo o..na una get this country.

Power grid has been restored.... They brought power now
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by HeavenVGate: 10:31am On Apr 09, 2022
miketayo:

400k are you sure? What is it powering ? Can you pump or use ac with it ?
I can pump and use ac but I didn't because I needed the light 24/7 ( meaning... No light off at all) I'm using it to power fridge, three TVs, home theatre , my laptop, my automatic washing machine and about 18 bulbs. No electricity from phcn at all. 24/7 on solar.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by qtguru(m): 10:31am On Apr 09, 2022
JavaScript90:
Since the beginning of this year I have exhausted over 300 liters of fuel. How can I compete with an Indian or Pakistani developer in the freelance market? Nigeria under this administration is designed to kill dreams and businesses

Inverter or those powered batteries.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by M3A16(m): 10:39am On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:
The harsh truth is, until the power sector is allowed to operate profitably, it will not make enough money to fix things to a point where we can have power 24/7

It does not matter who is in power or what laws are passed, whether we decentralize the grid, or move power from concurrent list, to the 500 list.....so long as we pay for power below what it costs to produce it, we cannot have 24 hour power.

You sound professional on this matter which I will not doubt if you are but it can not work again like this in useless country like ours where the successive govts and the incumbent have been nothing but liars, ideas drained set of people and hunger for wealths accumulation ones........ People can not trust them again and as a result it will be difficult for the government to come out and say this as the huge energy bills that are going to be paid by the consumers will be believed to end up siphoned like they have successfully done in countless number of times in the past and present.

Good and steady power supply is very expensive at start and to a point, before the huge bills that will be paying by the consumers begin to reduce and become more affordable, and moreso power is not a rocket science indeed but it is a gradual thing, meaning even three to four successful terms of governance won't be able to put it where it is needed to be because it is a continuous thing and this is a part where this country has failed greatly through her successive leaderships.

Unfortunately, this is how it's going to continue because starting this power revitalization by any new government will keep appearing ambiguous and unrealizable because it is a long time of rigorous, concentrated and productive efforts and we all know Nigerian ways of governance and politics..

India is still experiencing power failure in some parts of the nation today despite continuous heavy investment in power sector over the years and with power generating capacity of about 200,000Megawatts as at present.

Lol! Nigeria, the largest and most populous african nation with power generating capacity of less than 4000Megawatts over the years of fraud and claimed heavy investment in the sector.....

Can we all see where one of the major problems of Nigeria lies?

Power energy accrues inexplicable amount of power to itself indeed, take power energy out of anything and see how that thing becomes so useless and mostly irrelevant.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by QuinModah(f): 10:46am On Apr 09, 2022
miketayo:

I know all of that.. I am asking about ur own 400k solar can it pump water, ac and pressing iron
Tayo, have a different solar system for your pump
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by QuinModah(f): 10:49am On Apr 09, 2022
GloriousGbola:

1)solar is capital intensive
2)batteries in Nigeria are a racket where substandard batteries are sold at premium and give out in 9 months
3)equipment is another racket where low grade Chinese equipment is also sold at premium.

It is not in black and white.
You don't know what you talking about
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by tollyboy5(m): 10:50am On Apr 09, 2022
buckeyemedia:
Na Jonathan finalize privatization of electricity 7th November 2013? President Buhari inherited quacks.

Even electricity no dey Ebele village to tell you how Mumurist Jonathan was?
That's what you have to say after eight years of trying to fix power?
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by QuinModah(f): 10:51am On Apr 09, 2022
HeavenVGate:
I can pump and use ac but I didn't because I needed the light 24/7 ( meaning... No light off at all) I'm using it to power fridge, three TVs, home theatre , my laptop, my automatic washing machine and about 18 bulbs. No electricity from phcn at all. 24/7 on solar.
How many KVA?
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by GloriousGbola: 10:52am On Apr 09, 2022
QuinModah:
You don't know what you talking about

and this is one of those nigerians under the delusion that you can get quality for cheap.

do you have a PV system at home?
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by QuinModah(f): 10:55am On Apr 09, 2022
Oya keep buying fuel & be dependent on PHCN
GloriousGbola:

and this is one of those nigerians under the delusion that you can get quality for cheap.

do you have a PV system at home?
What's PV?
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by GloriousGbola: 11:01am On Apr 09, 2022
QuinModah:
Oya keep buying fuel & be dependent on PHCNWhat's PV?

please use your head.

you think batteries are infinite?

do you think a basic PV system can carry anything more than lights and tv for 4 hours?

this is how they sold inverters as replacement for conventional power. now they are doing same with solar

if you have the money to import your entire uncompromised system from abroad, fine. otherwise, you are just entering another round of story.

2 Likes

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by poiZon: 11:05am On Apr 09, 2022
treesun:

What has not collapsed under Buhari!
Na only dick o..
That one dey rise steady
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Jakumo(m): 11:07am On Apr 09, 2022
poiZon:

Na only dick o..
That one dey rise steady

Very good. No forovlen for Oza room matters, so all is well.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by poiZon: 11:07am On Apr 09, 2022
buckeyemedia:
Government? But electricity has been privatized? Notwithstanding there is no government that has done more for electricity than This Government.
So buhari body language was all ruse after all...
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Nobody: 11:31am On Apr 09, 2022
M3A16:

You sound professional on this matter which I will not doubt if you are but it can not work again like this in useless country like ours where the successive govts and the incumbent have been nothing but liars, ideas drained set of people and hunger for wealths accumulation ones........ People can not trust them again and as a result it will be difficult for the government to come out and say this as the huge energy bills that are going to be paid by the consumers will be believed to end up siphoned like they have successfully done in countless number of times in the past and present.

Good and steady power supply is very expensive at start and to a point, before the huge bills that will be paying by the consumers begin to reduce and become more affordable, and moreso power is not a rocket science indeed but it is a gradual thing, meaning even three to four successful terms of governance won't be able to put it where it is needed to be because it is a continuous thing and this is a part where this country has failed greatly through her successive leaderships.

Unfortunately, this is how it's going to continue because starting this power revitalization by any new government will keep appearing ambiguous and unrealizable because it is a long time of rigorous, concentrated and productive efforts and we all know Nigerian ways of governance and politics..

India is still experiencing power failure in some parts of the nation today despite continuous heavy investment in power sector over the years and with power generating capacity of about 200,000Megawatts as at present.

Lol! Nigeria, the largest and most populous african nation with power generating capacity of less than 4000Megawatts over the years of fraud and claimed heavy investment in the sector.....

Can we all see where one of the major problems of Nigeria lies?

Power energy accrues inexplicable amount of power to itself indeed, take power energy out of anything and see how that thing becomes so useless and mostly irrelevant.

I still stand by my point, and I make no apologies for it.

GSM works...the fact that you can type the stuff you wrote from home is because we paid whatever price MTN, Econet, Glo charged...meaning they made enough profit to build things from scratch

We underpay and have underpaid the power sector for decades, yet we somehow expect them to give us power?
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 09, 2022
RexTramadol1:

We never even reach 7000 u Dey talk of 50,000mw

We can get there if we all pay what needs to be paid.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Enyimbamercedes: 11:35am On Apr 09, 2022
Femi and Tolu @presidency ,

We await your editorials comparing the spate of National Grid collapse with that of the PDP years.

Yesterday, we had 2 in one day so you need to make the write up very creative.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by timefarm(m): 11:39am On Apr 09, 2022
This light issue will not be better until after 2023 election or its primaries

That's what they did in 2014 also.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Ehisod(m): 11:40am On Apr 09, 2022
The government should stop lying to us using grid collapse. The generating companies are owed huge debts by TCN/Discos and are themselves owing huge debts to the gas suppliers hence their inability or refusal to generate power at previous capacity. Instead the government to step in like any responsible govt world do they have chosen as usual to use the existing excuse of grid collapse. Useless and ultra clueless APC and Buhari.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 09, 2022
Ehisod:
The government should stop lying to us using grid collapse. The generating companies are owed huge debts by TCN/Discos and are themselves owing huge debts to the gas suppliers hence their inability or refusal to generate power at previous capacity. Instead the government to step in like any responsible govt world do they have chosen as usual to use the existing excuse of grid collapse. Useless and ultra clueless APC and Buhari.

And the debt exists because the tarrifs are set below the cost of production by the government.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Reference(m): 11:52am On Apr 09, 2022
alsudan:
Not even a single legacy will this Buhari leave behind.
See heat, no light, no fuel.

Railway na.... haba..... grin
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Jakumo(m): 12:05pm On Apr 09, 2022
Reference:

Railway na.... haba..... grin

Na so. We now know that the railway line is actually a conveyor belt designed to deliver kidnap victims to their abductors in an efficient and convenient way.

1 Like

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by kayperry: 12:47pm On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:
The harsh truth is, until the power sector is allowed to operate profitably, it will not make enough money to fix things to a point where we can have power 24/7

It does not matter who is in power or what laws are passed, whether we decentralize the grid, or move power from concurrent list, to the 500 list.....so long as we pay for power below what it costs to produce it, we cannot have 24 hour power.

Like seriously, even of you don't have a clue of what people are paying, hmm ! wa sha ti ma gbo crazy/estimated bills undecided
is it not govt policies that is escalating the cost of production, why should people continue to bear the burden when reviews & transparency can rectify things
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 09, 2022
kayperry:

Like seriously, even of you don't have a clue of what people are paying, hmm ! wa sha ti ma gbo crazy/estimated bills undecided
is it not govt policies that is escalating the cost of production, why should people continue to bear the burden when reviews & transparency can rectify things

We pay below what it costs to produce power in this country.

Even now, not everyone pays the same money for power. Depending on your band, if you live in an area that gets over 18 hours a day, you pay more per kwh than someone who lives in a lower band.

The lack of transparency is a byproduct of the fact that we are not paying the power sector the kind of tarrifs they should be charging.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by kayperry: 12:54pm On Apr 09, 2022
QuinModah:
it will not power your iron but we have solar inverter fridge but you can on the fridge during the 11 am- 4pm

Can you imagine ! after spending 2m i go still dey do 11am - 4pm shift, 2m inverter just to watch dstv, fan & charge phone .. ati gbo
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by PapaAkamu: 1:05pm On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:
Kind of funny to read the comments on the thread

The reason why the grid is collapsing is because Nigeria as a whole does not want the power sector to operate profitably, by means of allowing the sector set its prices, so that it can become profitable to, among other things, attract investment, and grow.

The idea most of us have...no it is an idee fixee...is that government should somehow fund power with money gotten from only God knows where. The truth is, even if government sells oil at 200 dollars a barrel, we need far more than that to guarantee 24 hours a day, seven days a week power.

And the only way to do it is to allow DISCOS and GENCOS charge the kind of tarrifs they need to make a profit to pay for improvements.

But every time this is suggested, people start shouting that Nigerians are poor. Yes, we are poor. But power is something that can only be improved when you pay for it...labour, materials, operation. Plus, would you accept a cut in your salary as a businessman just because 'Nigerians are poor' ? If you were selling something, and people came and took what you were selling and refused to pay for it because Nigerians are poor, would you accept that?

Some are even calling for the British to come back. Well, the Brits left us, because as a colony we did not make them enough of a profit (it is the truth, they poured more money in than they got out of Nigeria). Plus they think the British would come and build nice things for them. Well, even if the Birtish took over our country, they would only supply areas important to their colonisation effort with electriticy, everyone else can sleep in darkness. And we would still have to pay for it...somehow. Nothing goes for free in Freetown.

Nigerians need to wake up to the fact that if they want power, they have to pay the kind of bills needed to guarantee power. There is a reason why countries like South Africa, Egypt, even Ghana have better power than we do. They pay the money needed for good power supply. We are not doing so. And even if we get Biafra tomorrow...or Islamic republic next week, the same issue remains, if power costs N100 per kwh and you insist on paying N40 per kwh because poverty, you will get N40 worth of power, not N100 worth of power.

You cannot get a ferarri at the cost of a toyota corolla.
where the Ferrari, make I see am first.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by ufotunang: 1:10pm On Apr 09, 2022
Very simple.... transfer power... from the exclusive list to the con current list so that states can be in control of electricity power and distribute within their states....this national grid cannot distribute electricity light to 230 million nigerians... the burden is too much on the national grid that it's why it is breaking down or spoling all the time and the average nigerians suffer.... Buhari is an incompetent president...we need a president that is serious in restructuring... that is the solution to nigeria problems

1 Like

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Derrylatei: 1:18pm On Apr 09, 2022
QuinModah:
Use 1.5kva solar

Do you sale it?
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by kayperry: 1:22pm On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:

We pay below what it costs to produce power in this country.

Even now, not everyone pays the same money for power. Depending on your band, if you live in an area that gets over 18 hours a day, you pay more per kwh than someone who lives in a lower band.

The lack of transparency is a byproduct of the fact that we are not paying the power sector the kind of tarrifs they should be charging.

I still can't deduce why you think nigerians are paying less for darkness ... can you give an insight of the direct cost, and the prime cost incured is paid to ??
It is a common knowledge that consumers bill should be base on utility, even if we live in same compound our utility can never be the same cos gadget differs & schedule varies. ofcus a customer that enjoy light more should pay more base on utility, not estimates but what i will never understand is nigerians paying more for darkness.
The lack of transparency is a deriative of the corruption ongoing between phcn & the govt, if GEJ & Buhari have spent over 1.1trn+ on power if it is now enough how much is ideal? so we can sell nigeria to fund it
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 09, 2022
kayperry:

I still can't deduce why you think nigerians are paying less for darkness ... can you give an insight of the direct cost, and the prime cost incured is paid to ??
It is a common knowledge that consumers bill should be base on utility, even if we live in same compound our utility can never be the same cos gadget differs & schedule varies. ofcus a customer that enjoy light more should pay more base on utility, not estimates but what i will never understand is nigerians paying more for darkness.
The lack of transparency is a deriative of the corruption ongoing between phcn & the govt, if GEJ & Buhari have spent over 1.1trn+ on power if it is now enough how much is ideal? so we can sell nigeria to fund it

Well, this paper linked below can give you a good idea of the problem

LIQUIDITY CRUNCH POWER SECTOR
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by kayperry: 2:02pm On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:

Well, this paper linked below can give you a good idea of the problem

LIQUIDITY CRUNCH POWER SECTOR

All i can see is articulated excuses which does not negate trillions of naira as being spent yet no slight improvement, even the six challenges enlisted in rainbow depicts inefficiencies, zero transparency and lack of coordination.
I don't even wanna drag this any further, the solution is for every state to generate its own power, by now we should be more dependant on hydroplants buh about 77% consumer are on GFPP, about 40% nigerians don't have access to electricity and even the 60% sef are still dependent on national grid in this jet age.
We can't afford one standard refinery we can't build enough hydroplants then one begin to wonder if the cost is infinite or our leaders just lack transparency. is there no actual cost

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Emdebby2: 2:06pm On Apr 09, 2022
Everything in this country has collapsed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Edo 2024: Another Governorship Aspirant Withdraws, Endorses Asue Ighodalo / Bomb Blast Rocks Oko Prison In Benin: Boko Haram? / Arewa Vs Ndigbo Novelty Match: Osinbajo To Honor Football Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.