Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,382 members, 7,781,084 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:33 AM

The Power Of This Thing Called Internet And Why Nigerians Are Not Using It Enoug - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Power Of This Thing Called Internet And Why Nigerians Are Not Using It Enoug (584 Views)

Please Avoid This Thing If You Want To Succeed In Life / Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters / The Power Of Reading Books (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Power Of This Thing Called Internet And Why Nigerians Are Not Using It Enoug by Ebube98(m): 9:59pm On Apr 09, 2022
This could be long but then...

Omo... The internet is damn powerful o!

Two years ago, I got a contract to build a website for Fork In Nigeria. A Nigerian food truck in the US.

It was during the pandemic lockdown and the business was just about to kick off. Well, African dishes were common in the US, before then and of course there were other African restaurants.

But this was aimed at bringing just core Nigerian indigenous foods and snacks to the US. Including the supreme Egusi and Fufu.

We set up the website, payment platforms, social media pages, started social media campaigns. Business began and we started servicing orders.

From dashboard stats, the business was going fine and was in profit. Orders were coming in, we were building a traction one foothold at the time within the black community online.

But then something happened... Or let me say...

TikTok and Instagram happened. LOL �

If you follow social network trends fiercely, you would notice that TikTok trends hit an all time high during the thick of the pandemic.

So what happened?

I don't know who kick-started it, but somehow and from nowhere, Fufu and Egusi soup started trending on TikTok and Instagram.

It started with TikTok. It featured people from different races making videos of themselves eating Fufu with Egusi and Vegetable soup.

Whites, Asians,Blacks, Jamaicans (these ones carry am for head �). Nigerians came up to prove that Fufu didn't end with Egusi soup. There was Amala and ewedu trend too.

Come and see black American ladies with extremely long artificial nails , dipping hand inside "akpu" and drawing soup.���

I don't know about other restaurants in US, but only one word can describe the effect all these had on ours - BOOM!

Sales skyrocketed. Orders were beyond what staff could handle that time.

Profit was crazy, in less than two years, my boss made the money he was hoping to make in five years.

Everyday we were getting stories of people driving several miles to buy "Fufu, Egusi and goatmeat". Even white people.

I made a post on Reddit (a social network) , about the restaurant.

Normally, Reddit doesn't allow posts that indirectly advertise a business.

But before they could flag the post it had gotten so much engagement and people had already gone to the restaurant, bought food and we're already dropping reviews.

They had to leave it with a warning.

It was mad... But it was mostly thanks to...

Just one trend... that took away all the stress of "gradually building" a community of loyal customers.

Just one trend and we broke even without sweat.

See, I always tell Wizkid FC and Davido people that - it's not like their favourite makes such badass music.

It is not because they make such kickass albums and that's why they top global music billboards.

Nah... Far from that. It's the power of leveraging on cross-cultural internet tools.

You see that app called TikTok? With Facebook reels, YouTube shorts and any other app that allows you play music at the background?

These tools have contributed immensely in hyping African music like c.r .a .z.y

From Afrobeats to Amapiano.

These days if you noticed, producers and artistes don't focus much on music quality any more. They just do music that can trend.

I call it "music for the gram".

That is what will make you see an old white woman who has never left UK before vibing to CKay's Nwantinti.

That is what will make you see Asians and Arabs vibing to "Alcohol" by Joe boy or doing the "Legwork" better than Zlatan and Burna Boy.

That trend is slowly making its way down to African art. The way it hit music, it's coming down to photography, poetry and visual arts.

Its coming down through NFTs

In a post I made I while ago, I talked about why Africans need to do this whole NFT thing differently. The African way.

I talked about how we need to progress beyond that rubbish of selling "pixelated ugly monkeys" in the name of NFT.

That time dun show. Globally, there's a slight shift and the light of interest is being shone on African artwork and photography.

Things are changing. One picture of an African child, maiden or scenery could make you money that will render your certificate in microbiology useless.

Years ago, the white man took off with art created by your ancestors.

Don't worry... You might soon be getting an opportunity to create and sell YOUR OWN art to the white man and it won't be stolen this time.

It's close... Don't miss it.

Two things rule this world, and ideas are not even included.

They are - TIME and OPPORTUNITY.

Few weeks ago, a phone photographer - Adisa Olashile took a picture of an aged talking drummer.

It sold for a little over a million and the old baba got a cut from it(N500k). �

The guy has gone full weight on NFT with his photography and he's getting bids on his other pictures.

Amazingly, he does it with just his smartphone and Adobe Lightroom mobile app.

C.r.a.z.y huh? �

It's just the beginning. More are yet to come.

I'm Ebube Maduike Emeka, a web and mobile app developer and tech writing is my hobby. You could follow me on Facebook where I make great tech posts.

https://www.facebook.com/ebube.maduike

Re: The Power Of This Thing Called Internet And Why Nigerians Are Not Using It Enoug by dopedan(m): 7:27am On Apr 10, 2022
Not every one will make it, you will need something people call grace, miracle, luck, chance, opportunity and being at d right place at d right time
Re: The Power Of This Thing Called Internet And Why Nigerians Are Not Using It Enoug by emmybliz(m): 7:52am On Apr 10, 2022
Nice write up
Re: The Power Of This Thing Called Internet And Why Nigerians Are Not Using It Enoug by OlasunkanmiSM(m): 9:30am On Apr 10, 2022
dopedan:
Not every one will make it, you will need something people call grace, miracle, luck, chance, opportunity and being at d right place at d right time

The opportunities are already there.

Chance...luck..grace... They're just excuses People associate with Success.

If you're really ready and willing to work hard to achieve your goals...

It will happen and nothing can stop it.

There's no such thing as LUCK.
Re: The Power Of This Thing Called Internet And Why Nigerians Are Not Using It Enoug by dopedan(m): 9:34am On Apr 10, 2022
OlasunkanmiSM:

The opportunities are already there.

Chance...luck..grace... They're just excuses People associate with Success.

If you're really ready and willing to work hard to achieve your goals...

It will happen and nothing can stop it.

There's no such thing as LUCK.
Can u agree with me that its not by hardwork? If it is by hard work construction workers will be millionaires, I believe in luck, u can be picked from a crowd of people better than u for a good opportunity because u are lucky
Re: The Power Of This Thing Called Internet And Why Nigerians Are Not Using It Enoug by OlasunkanmiSM(m): 9:11pm On Apr 10, 2022
dopedan:

Can u agree with me that its not by hardwork? If it is by hard work construction workers will be millionaires, I believe in luck, u can be picked from a crowd of people better than u for a good opportunity because u are lucky

It seems you misunderstand the concept of 'hardwork'.

But it's your opinion and I'll let you have it.
Re: The Power Of This Thing Called Internet And Why Nigerians Are Not Using It Enoug by Omoogah: 11:26am On Apr 11, 2022
VACANCY! VACANCY!! VACANCY!!!

Job Tittle: GRADUATE TRAINEE
GRADUATE ASSOCIATES

Responsibilities
• Ability to participate in on-the-job training wherever possible.
• Performing office duties as required by the supervisor
• Taking part in meetings, workshops, and team-building events.
• Ensuring that day to day experiences are taken note of as well as keeping a log of things learned.
• Creating reports and making presentations
• Get familiar with personnel duties
Participate in company’s strategic planning
• Adopt to different working environments and team cultures;
• Make sound judgments and make effective, timely decisions;
• Involvement in Hr duties
• Be positive and courageous and seek opportunities to learn and develop

REQUIREMENTS
. Shows adaptability, willingness to learn new skills and commitment to exceptional delivery
. Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
. Be innovative and creative

Educational Qualifications
OND, HND, BSC from any reputable institution.

Apply by sending your CV to the mail below using the job description as subject of the mail: splatter.careers@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

I Finally Resigned And Free From My Boss / Last Minute Industrial Atatchment (it) / Fasttrack Yr Study Abroad With Us Gre,toefl,gmat,sat And Act

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.