Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,586 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:50 PM

21 Days In Okada, Edo State - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 21 Days In Okada, Edo State (3697 Views)

My 21 Days NYSC Experience Serving In Yobe State. / Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State / Female Corper Almost Raped By An Okada Man In Ibadan Today (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

21 Days In Okada, Edo State by ikfrancis: 7:38pm On Apr 12, 2022
I'm going to be sharing my experience in NYSC permanent orientation camp, Okada located in Ovia North East LGA, Edo State.

I've decided to use this font colour so as to distinguish my post from that of other commenters as this is one of the biggest issues I faced back then when I was following a lot of camp experiences here.

For so long I've been waiting to read new updates and now I'm finally going to be the one to share my experience. I'd like to point out a few things though before I begin.

I like to write epistles so some of my updates here would be very long. If you don't like long reads, this is not for you. Although I won't be writing as much as I want as my phone is not good, I'm just managing it.

Also, I'm not a good writer. I'm still very much a learner. Yes, I'm a graduate but English is not my first language. It was also my weakest subject when I was in school. That means if I make any blunder, which I will, you can laugh at me, correct me or look away. Any option you pick is okay by me.

Another thing you should know before you follow this story. It is not a work of fiction. I don't like fiction. But for the sake of my fellow corp members who would be featuring in this story, some of the names and events would be twisted to hide their identifies. Peradventure you are able to uncover the identity of any character, including mine, I'd appreciate it if you keep it to yourself or message me privately.

I will also not be updating regular cause I have a life and my phone issues won't allow. Depending on how well this goes, I may continue my story to life after came. Though the plan as at now is to write about my experience from 18 of march 2022 to 7th of April 2022.

Without further ado, let's go there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by yuping(m): 7:46pm On Apr 12, 2022
undecided my chair please, make sure u make use of lots of pix.
Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by ikfrancis: 9:18pm On Apr 12, 2022
yuping:
undecided my chair please, make sure u make use of lots of pix.

I forgot to add that I didn't take any single picture because of my phone and also I don't like pictures. I did take a selfie one time but I can't post that here.
Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by yuping(m): 10:26pm On Apr 12, 2022
ikfrancis:

I forgot to add that I didn't take any single picture because of my phone and also I don't like pictures. I did take a selfie one time but I can't post that here.
Hu, na only Turanshi we go dey eat.
Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by ikfrancis: 6:27am On Apr 14, 2022
Before I start from day 1 of my camp experience it would be nice for you to have some background info about who the op is and why he is doing this.

Like I said before, I've read a lot of NYSC experiences here, all from the first page to the last. I've probably read all, even the fictional ones and I don't like fiction. It is not because I am obsessed with NYSC but rather based on my nature, I like to plan ahead of things. In the end, having a sort of idea on what to expect in camp actually helped me.

Yet I found a that reality they say is quite different from imaginations. After my three weeks at Okada, I discovered that almost all the stories I read here failed to mention a few things that would have saved me some time and money. I'll try my possible best to write about these things.

Another reason for doing this aside working on my storytelling and writing is that I've never come across any camp experience from an Edo corper. Most where either from Lagos, Kwara and other far northern state. I'd post the monikers of all the NYSC experiences I've read so you can see for yourself. Also so you can pick one or all to read while you wait for me to update my own experience here.

Finally, I know most people prefer to see pictures everywhere and read about camp misdeeds with the other gender but this my own experience have nothing like that. You've been duly informed so you get to decide for yourself if you want to follow this story. Not that when I get to the middle you people would start requesting for me to write more about these things. Although there is a possible relationship but that one started after camp and I may not write about it cause it is outside the timeline of this story.

So without further ado, here are the monikers, you can search for their threads and go through the ones you like.

RECENT/SHORT/INCOMPLETE:
Jackossky, cokeryusuf09, TopeQs, Cassyboy2, louiskay, kingtim, Bestlily, Jessiliciousjes, Lionbite

OLD/LONG/COMPLETE - also my favourites:
calculator123, Abyima, Etimocracy, midetinz, nonye6194, triggaSG, Mrviktor, Respect55 and Esyy (One of the reasons I wanted to serve in Akwa Ibom stated).

Just search their monikers and locate their NYSC thread.

XXII, this is my experience.

3 Likes

Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by Jackossky(m): 12:58pm On Apr 14, 2022
ikfrancis:

RECENT/SHORT/INCOMPLETE:
Jackossky, cokeryusuf09, TopeQs, Cassyboy2, louiskay, kingtim, Bestlily, Jessiliciousjes, Lionbite

OLD/LONG/COMPLETE - also my favourites:
calculator123, Abyima, Etimocracy, midetinz, nonye6194, triggaSG, Mrviktor, Respect55 and Esyy (One of the reasons I wanted to serve in Akwa Ibom stated).

Just search their monikers and locate their NYSC thread.

XXII, this is my experience.

Sits down
Lemme sip this in

1 Like

Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by XXII: 1:05pm On Apr 14, 2022
Following cheesy cheesy
Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by ikfrancis: 2:25pm On Apr 14, 2022
XXII:
Following cheesy cheesy
Thanks to you they have followed me here from the other side. I wanted to keep the two separate but there's nothing I can do now. I'll just try and reduce how much personal details I share. The show must go on.
Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by ikfrancis: 3:12pm On Apr 14, 2022
Background
I finished from the university of first late last year and after that I went offline for about three months. I almost missed my convocation early this year and I ended up not attending both physically or online.

For those that will later ignore my first two updates here, even for my convocation I didn't take a single picture. My dad was not too happy with this decision. From 2012 till this very moment, I can count the number of pictures I've taken. During my jss3 send forth/graduation party cause my brother accompanied me with his camera. My matriculation in 2016, I took that one after I'd gotten home and remembered that I didn't take a single picture. My IT defense, cause I just took the opportunity of others snapping pictures to take two shots. You can also count the passport photographs I took during this period and the ones I took in church almost every month when my church started this monthly birthday celebrations.

The plain truth is I don't like standing in front of a camera or mirror. Something happened during my registration process that was weird.

So after convocation, the next thing was NYSC. Everybody was talking about it on the group chat and we all joined a group chat just for it where the admin kept dropping Infos and all about NYSC. He talked about working it to Lagos, Abuja and other big cities. Before that, I've always wanted to leave Lagos, leave my fathers house. I have been in Lagos since I was in primary 3 or 4. I wanted a change of scenery, also I don't like traffic. Apart from my 100 level and parts of 200 level, I didn't stay on campus so I was used to waking up by 5am and getting to class before 8am, Monday to Friday. I was tired of that lifestyle.

Despite all this, something happened. I let my associations with the NYSC group and coursemate convince me that Lagos is not all bad. Before I knew it, I started telling myself, its just one more year in this city that never goes to sleep. After that you can go to UK, Germany or France for your masters.

Around this time I became very confused, whether to work it to Lagos or accept wherever I am posted to. One major challenge was money. As at then, I needed 60k to work it and I didn't want to ask my parents for money. Also I wasn't sure if this was what I wanted. After a while, I told my parent and my Dad instead of giving me money asked me to tell my employer to loan me the money. This was a good idea cause my employer didn't want me to leave for NYSC at a time when they needed me most. The only problem that remained was how sure I was of my NYSC plug.

I started praying and asking God for direction cause I know that this decision could change my life forever. I hesited and the portal was opened around February 6 for PCMs to register. The NYSC plug started saying that the price for Lagos have gone up to 75k. Before this time, I've messaged him and found out that if for some reason it didn't work out, he will return 80% of the money back. This sounded like a good deal afterall I won't lose all my money but as a mathematics student and over thinker, I did some calculations. This guy gets to keep 20% of my money which at 60k was 12k and at 75k was 15k. It meant that even if this guy is not legit and just decided to keep the money and return 80% later he would be walking away with at least 12k. I was not convinced if I want to give this guy I know from nowhere money I don't have.

While I was busy doing all these calculations and waiting for God's reply, the registration period passed and the portal was shut. It was st this time I got my first sign from God on what to do.

1 Like

Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by XXII: 11:07pm On Apr 15, 2022
ikfrancis:
Thanks to you they have followed me here from the other side. I wanted to keep the two separate but there's nothing I can do now. I'll just try and reduce how much personal details I share. The show must go on.
My bad.
I'm really sorry about that. Just had to make a post so you could know I started following the thread.
Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by ikfrancis: 6:51pm On Apr 17, 2022

Stream 1
I got the message loud and clear but it was too late to go with stream 1 again. A few days later, it was time for call up letter to start dropping. A lot of people became anxious on the group but that one did not concern me. Most guys were posted to Niger, Nassarawa and other middle belt states.

Those that worked their own where posted to Lagos and Abuja but some unlucky few did get the state of their working. Some got Ekiti, Nassarawa, and Abia. There were also a few that got Lagos with working but had to camp in Ogun, Ondo and Ekiti cause Lagos camp was full. Same thing with Abuja, they had to camp in Kogi, Nassarawa and I think Plateau as well (not sure though)

Another set of people, most especially those that worked it, did not see their call up letters. They became restless until NYSC officially tweeted that they will be going with the next stream. By this time some had already paid and gotten their medical report. In this country everything is a business. Nobody even cares if the info provided is correct or not. According to the admin running the it, they don't check in camp. Just provide your full name, blood group, genotype, height (optional) and you're good to go.

I was already convinced at this point in time that I won't be working it again. Apart from the sign, the fact that about 20% did not get posted to the state they worked it to was enough reason for me to use my money for something else. I channeled my money, 40k, into doing my clearance and collecting my certificate. This turned out to be the wrong use of my money as it was my last card. Also because of the ASUU strike I'm still yet to get it. It also turned out that we don't even need it for NYSC registration. In fact, according to my little research here on Nairaland, some never collected it and they've been working with their statement of results for over 20 years.

By 23rd of February, if I remember correctly, stream 1 moved to camp. Thanks to a birthday mate, I was able to follow along on the daily activities on camp through her whatsApp status. I was even tempted at a point to ask her to come here and write about her experience. Her status updates convinced me that I have to do this for my nairaland folks and I thought it would be easy but life had another plan.

A new rumor started on the group that stream 2 would no longer be in March due to the Muslim fast starting in April. At this point, I didn't care again, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to go with stream 2 again.

2 Likes

Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by ikfrancis: 5:46pm On May 12, 2022
Apologies

I want to sincerely apologize for the break in transmission all these while. The reason is that I've I'm gone back to Edo state state as my service to my father's land have begun.

I don't want to get ahead of the story here so I'll just give a little glimpse of what I am currently facing in this state. For the past two months, there have not been light in this place, that is since mid of March. I never met light ones and the annoying thing is that no one knows if it is spoilt or not. I have guys posted to other communities within this same local government where the last time there was light was 8 years ago. I don't even know which is better, mine or theirs as I still have hope here that one day, they will bring the light. Although the words of a course mate back then in school keeps ringing in my head, "it is the hope that kills."

The major reason I'm updating this place now (even though my battery is on 1% and my phone could totally go off now and I loose everything) is cause I just saw two new likes now. The other reason is to make you a sort of promise (not a promise o) to update at least thrice a week. There is a place we do charge for free but my phone and other circumstances won't allow me to charge more than 30% each day and I usually use this to watch one movie and chat with that possible relationship that started after camp I mentioned before.

Finally, I want to use this medium to encourage the undergraduates in the house not to give up, especially those in their final year. I almost dropped out in my 400 level too, the only thing that stopped me was the realization that I didn't have any specific thing that I was dropping school for.

Let me upload this before my phone dies, I'll continue typing once this one successfully uploads.

3 Likes

Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by yean1(m): 1:52pm On May 28, 2022
Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by ikfrancis: 1:34am On Jun 14, 2022

Advice to Batch B

The light situation over here is something else. I just came to drop a note of advice to the batch B guys that just got posted to Edo state. I'll be quick cause I need my little remaining battery life for something else.

First, as you probably already know, you will be camping in at NYSC orientation camp, OKada in Ovia North East of Edo state. Some call it Ova North East, can't remember which one is correct again. Anyway that is not what you need to know. What you need to know is that the camp is relatively new, barely 3 years, things are expensive (like in other camps), electricity is stable most times except it's a general issue (hopefully the national grid collapsing and faulty power plants don't make your light alien to you). During my time, March/April, they only put on the gen when important visitors come for lecture or to pump water sometimes. Most they don't even pump the water when on gen for the hostels because of the famous stream in camp that have been running for 17 years now. Don't worry you will get to hear a lot about it, it is something they are so proud of.

Now for the first important thing you need to know, get a glo and Mtn sim. Quickly do that tomorrow if you don't have any of the two though I'll advice you get the two. This story should come later in my camp experience tale but I'll share it now to buttress this sim issue. I went to camp with my two sims, 9mobile and Airtel. I went from Lagos through Ondo state. Throughout the journey I had network but as soon as I entered the camp gate, that was the last time I saw 9mobile network. The next time I'd see it was on my way back home after 23 days (21 days in camp + 2 days at Nysc Secretariat). It was when I got to Benin I saw the network. The painful part was that I subscribed newly and was given double data cause it was a new sim. I went along with my 9mobile mifi but 25gb just went like that.

As for my other sim, Airtel, it was the most frustrating experience. The only way for me to get network was to start outside my hall at night or early morning. Because of this I could not join any group both physical or WhatsApp. My people at home could not call me, I call then every 4 days when I am at that spot. One funny experience which I will talk about in detail much later was that I almost bought Airtel mifi at mami market. Network that was not good o, luckily my brain started working again and I left that place.

I later discovered that I could also get good Airtel network on parade ground the only downside is avoiding getting caught my soldiers. They will just collect it and return it to you later, that never happened to me though. It was something else they collected from me (a story for much later). Also the soldiers were just too friendly. During bank registration, one staff told me there is 9mobile network at a particular place near account office. I never found that network instead I found the famous clinic people use to excape parade and the much larger (or smaller) and greener football field. It was after leaving camp I learnt that there was good 9mobile network where NCCF is in camp. I only attended NCCF once and I don't use my phone in church or fellowship so I never would have discovered this. So to avoid all this unnecessary headache get both Glo and Mtn sim. I can't remember which of them is better cause my bunkmate and other hall mates do complain sometimes and they use one of the two network providers. I think Mtn was the better network in camp.

The amazing thing was getting to the LGA I was posted to and guys started complaining of bad network (Mtn & Glo users) while my Airtel network was very full, so strong that I had to do data sub to see how good the network is. This life na turn by turn. I did whatsApp call and it was the best experience ever. As at now at my PPA, I currently use Glo (the best here) for browsing, followed by Mtn (on my small phone) also for browsing and call, then Airtel which is also stron here but not too strong when I'm in my room and finally 9mobile only when I am outside and at some specific position before I get network (better than camp though). So yeah, I have all the four major networks, experience is the best teacher but you can learn from my experience.

I said I was going to be brief but I have typed epistle already.

So quickly to the second and final important thing you should know and this goes for all PCM, not just Edo state. Things are very expensive in camp and around camp. Try to get everything you think you'll need before you leave your state of residence ( unless that one too cost). Now to the important part, forget whatever price you've been told will take you to camp. Whatever amount anybody told you before, just double it, that is the actual tfare. I went with stream 2, someone in stream 1 told me how much she spent to camp. I went to the same park in same state and I spent almost double. First day in camp, I was already broke. To understand better, stream 1 went to camp in February, stream 2 went in March yet the difference in transport cost was almost double. To be fair the fuel scarcity that month could have aggravated the price. What I'm just saying in essence is hold double your tfare.

A little extra, try to enjoy life in camp and I don't mean extravagant spending in mami. What I mean is try not to complain or murmur too much like the Israelite. And whatever you, I take knee down beg you, don't sing this song in camp with those man 'o war guys and girls "Pay us allawee o, pay us allawee o, make we dey go". Also don't join the guys that will start doing countdown to the end of camp right from day one. Every morning they will be like "19 days to go". The reason is not farfetched, as stressful and 'bad' as camp might seem, it is ten times better than life after camp though some argue that it depends on the local government one is posted to.

That will be all.

For those who can't read all that epistle, here is the summary:

1. Get Mtn or Glo sim for camp. If possible get all the four network.

2. Hold double your expected tfare.

Other things to know.

3. Even though Governor Obaseki recently increased minimum wage in the state to 40k and pays on the 26th or 27th, Edo state doesn't pay corpers state allowance and is usually the last to even pay federal allawee. The one for May came in June 7th.

4. 87% of PCMs will serve in a school.

5. The weather here is unpredictable, a sunny day can easily turn to a cloudy and windy day.

6. Most people will influence their posting to Benin (high cost of living) and because of that, many will be rejected at their PPAs.

That will be all for now, till I come your way again, for those that will later on be posted to same LG, hope to see you soon.

I forgot to add this

7. There are no mosquitoes in Okada camp, so you can leave your mosquito net at home.

2 Likes

Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by Kaylashaw: 11:46pm On Sep 14, 2022
I intend to serve in Edo state in this next batch. I’m an optometrist, looking to work in Irrua specialist hospital Irrua. Seeing that you’re serving there already, please do you have any idea how much the Hospital Management Board in edo state pays corp members in their states? And Which LGA are you serving?
Re: 21 Days In Okada, Edo State by ikfrancis: 11:50pm On Mar 03, 2023
Kaylashaw:
I intend to serve in Edo state in this next batch. I’m an optometrist, looking to work in Irrua specialist hospital Irrua. Seeing that you’re serving there already, please do you have any idea how much the Hospital Management Board in edo state pays corp members in their states? And Which LGA are you serving?
Just seeing this. I have no idea how much they pay. I served in Owan East LGA.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Should Be The Ideal Minimum Monthly Savings Of A Corp Member? / More Pictures Of The Female Corper Whose Hand Was Matcheted In Bayelsa State / NYSC 2015 Batch “A” Call Up Letter Released – How To Print Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.