Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,935 members, 7,806,712 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle (24787 Views)

Ola Rotimi's 82nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today / New Google Doodle Honours Nigerian Born Play Write Buchi Emecheta / Google Celebrates Chinua Achebe's 87th Posthumous Birthday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by Tonymegabush1(m): 7:27am On Apr 13, 2022
Congratulations

1 Like

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by Tonymegabush1(m): 7:28am On Apr 13, 2022
The gods are not to be blame that year cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by Ofiadiegwu: 7:29am On Apr 13, 2022
Ola Rotimi is a legend in Literature.
He belongs to the caliber of Achebe, Soyinka, Okigbo, there are many of them.

8 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by tillaman(m): 7:33am On Apr 13, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

Ola Rotimi , exposed the evil in afonja land in his work "The gods are not to be blame"

How can afonja fugitive boy Odewale killed his father unapologetically , just to marry his mother so to pound the same toto that birthed him and he did it. What a despicable act .

Before Ola conceived this story and write it down, it was something that was rampant in afonja land.

Is such act still going on now? Please someone should tell me shocked

yeah right but it’s better than eating people
You old bat

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by otomatic(m): 7:34am On Apr 13, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

Ola Rotimi , exposed the evil in afonja land in his work "The gods are not to be blame"

How can afonja fugitive boy Odewale killed his father unapologetically , just to marry his mother so to pound the same toto that birthed him and he did it. What a despicable act .

Before Ola conceived this story and write it down, it was something that was rampant in afonja land.

That is not true.
"The gods are not to blame" is an adaptation from the Greek play, Oedipus Rex, but rendered in an African context.
Of course, he chose to use names from his own vernacular.

17 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by Michelle70(m): 7:35am On Apr 13, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

even though I hate Ipob. How u used this awesome play to catch fun is topnotch

3 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by Crafteck1: 7:35am On Apr 13, 2022
Stio hailing doodle, its not worldwide, it might not even be natiin wide sef so rest.

2 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by meeketta: 7:35am On Apr 13, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

That would have been stopped if they had taken heed to the warning of the gods. cool
MadamVanessa:
shocked

That would have been stopped if they had taken heed to the warning of the gods.
Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by rolams(m): 7:40am On Apr 13, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

The gods should not be blame when the repercussion of afonjas foolishnes and stupidity come knocking. Such happen again,when they all voted in Buhari, Buhari brothers dealt with them seriously, till they all scamper to Benin republic. Should the gods be blame? No.

It's obvious, you can't buy brain!

9 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by hardbody: 7:41am On Apr 13, 2022
Pele10:
The gods are to be blame that this coutary is blessed with so much talents,and caused with bad leaders.

Are the gods to be blamed also for this wrong use of word in bold thereby distorting the intention in the context? I should be cursed

1 Like

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by tienegem(m): 7:41am On Apr 13, 2022
gods are not to blame such year
Chai!!!

2 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by obedience4(m): 7:42am On Apr 13, 2022
Crafteck1:
Stio hailing doodle, its not worldwide, it might not even be natiin wide sef so rest.

Stop being angry joor, for just today all those who open Google in Nigeria it will show, it is nation wide.
Una no go celebrate una own, people wan celebrate them you dey talk rubbish

5 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by Nobody: 7:42am On Apr 13, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

The gods should not be blame when the repercussion of afonjas foolishnes and stupidity come knocking. Such happened again,when they all voted in Buhari, Buhari brothers dealt with them seriously, till they all scamper to Benin republic. Should the gods be blame for this? No. shocked

i never knew common sense has become so scarce.

12 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by toffyz(m): 7:45am On Apr 13, 2022
Our Husband has gone mad again

By Ola Rotimi
Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by obedience4(m): 7:46am On Apr 13, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

The gods should not be blame when the repercussion of afonjas foolishnes and stupidity come knocking. Such happened again,when they all voted in Buhari, Buhari brothers dealt with them seriously, till they all scamper to Benin republic. Should the gods be blame for this? No. shocked

Madam na novel ..
Nawaoo, the book might be fiction self..
Calm down and celebrate the genius of the man.
Just because that other Igbo writer that wrote things fall apart, wrote that okonwo, killed some one who called him father's does that mean Igbo men are killers

12 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by seunayantokun(m): 7:50am On Apr 13, 2022
Playwright, please.

What's playwrighter?
Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by Bfly: 7:51am On Apr 13, 2022
I know Nigeria is a real big deal on the internet. I bet we are the highest consumer of Google. Who is really to blame for Nigeria's situation.

I know we will be great.
Don't get it twisted, our past and present Democrazy clamouring leaders have failed us.

We will come out Big.
Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by RexTramadol1: 7:52am On Apr 13, 2022
Dorwadora:
Our husband has gone mad again still remain my best Africa drama comedy... I always laugh out loud while reading the book.

I swear, especially Lejoka-Brown and Polycarp

1 Like

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by RexTramadol1: 7:54am On Apr 13, 2022
otomatic:

That is not true.
"The gods are not to blame" is an adaptation from the Greek play, Oedipus Rex, but rendered in an African context.
Of course, he chose to use names from his own vernacular.

Very correct. It is an adaptation
Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by Classcaptain1(m): 7:56am On Apr 13, 2022
Counterfeit:
I read one of his books, The Gods must be crazy, in my secondary school days, 1986.
It is actually "The gods must be ment" grin grin grin grin
Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by PrimeWatermark: 7:57am On Apr 13, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

The gods should not be blame when the repercussion of afonjas foolishnes and stupidity come knocking. Such happened again,when they all voted in Buhari just to spite the south southerners and south easterners, but Buhari brothers came and dealt with them seriously, till they all scamper to Benin republic. Should the gods be blame for this? No. shocked

Be calming down. The gods are not to blame was an adaptation of Oedipus Rex.

8 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by Dorwadora(f): 7:58am On Apr 13, 2022
RexTramadol1:

I swear, especially Lejoka-Brown and Polycarp
Lejoka-Brown grin grin the politician who couldn't put his house in order. The book actually portray many things that are not even comedy. Example is the disadvantages of westernization in Africa culture. But all in all.... Its a great book.
Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by SugarGirl44(f): 7:59am On Apr 13, 2022
I celebrate my Yoruba side, y'all are the light of this dead country.
Just try to be on your own, stop allowing junior Iran and mini Mexico pull you down.
You can do it!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by Goldbw122(m): 8:02am On Apr 13, 2022
Nigeria don't have a platform to remember this man but a foreigner remembered him.. thanks to Google.
Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by AndroBlaze: 8:03am On Apr 13, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

The gods should not be blame when the repercussion of afonjas foolishnes and stupidity come knocking. Such happened again,when they all voted in Buhari just to spite the south southerners and south easterners, but Buhari brothers came and dealt with them seriously, till they all scamper to Benin republic. Should the gods be blame for this? No. shocked

Aunty from an illiterate and ignorant peoples, it is based on popular greek mythology; it is not our story....imagine Superman in ankara.

6 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by chatinent: 8:05am On Apr 13, 2022
I read his book, The Gods Are Not To Blame, in school.
Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by Orangeburger: 8:08am On Apr 13, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

Your tears have just started... grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by sirbrw(m): 8:11am On Apr 13, 2022
Nothing like celebrating Ola Rotimi with a Doodle by Google here in Malaysia.

1 Like

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by ShenTeh(m): 8:11am On Apr 13, 2022
tunderoc:
Olawale Gladstone Emmanuel Rotimi, best known as Ola Rotimi (13 April 1938 – 18 August 2000),[1] was one of Nigeria's leading playwrights and theatre directors. He has been called "a complete man of the theatre[2] – an actor, director, choreographer and designer – who created performance spaces, influenced by traditional architectural forms.

Abeg op, and the moderators, I think you wanted to right 'Playwright' and not 'Playwrighter'

1 Like

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by Munamu: 8:15am On Apr 13, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

How can a afonja fugitive boy Odewale killed his father unapologetically , just to marry his mother so to pound the same toto that birthed him and he did it.

Please my brothers in west side let's amend our ways.

Hire sense please. Ola Rotimi did not conceive the story. He copied it from an old Greek play called "Antigone" ,and he replicated the story in African setting.

4 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by mariovito(m): 8:16am On Apr 13, 2022
OP, this is a post celebrating a literary icon, such blunder will not be permitted.

Go and change the subject, the word is "Playwright" and not "Playwrighter".

Thank you as you do so.

2 Likes

Re: Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle by Oceanjagaban: 8:17am On Apr 13, 2022
Oh! I remember "The beautiful ones are not yet born", literature in English.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LOVESTRUCK - A Campus Love Story. By Demsid / Chimamanda Adichie Was A Guest Speaker At Yale Law School 2022 Commencement / Obsessed (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.