Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. (1773 Views)

Gunshots Fired As Soldier Pulls Surprise Proposal On A Lady At Checkpoint / My Experience At The Club: Share Yours / Nigerians Are Hypocrites When It Comes To Sex. My Experience At Shoprite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by NevetsIbot(m): 10:36am On Apr 14, 2022
So.. I was journeying down to Akungba from Ogbomosho yesterday. A very hectic 6hrs journey that sapped me of energy. The stress was next to none since I hate travelling and the last thing I needed was to be stopped at police checkpoints.

From Ogbomosho down to Ikare, we passed by several police stops and they would stop my bus, eye me intently since I was the only young guy in the bus. You could see their souls bite their fingers in disappointment upon seeing that the other occupants of the bus were middle aged citizen that wouldn't let them extort me. The driver also on purpose did not slow down just because of me. I didn't realize he was not slowing down at most stops because of me until we got into Ekiti.
That was just how I got straight to Ikare without police hassle. Boarded a bike straight to Akungba and I was met with the notorious policemen that stay about a kilometre just after the military checkpoint.

I was stopped, asked to open my backpack. I did as the sergeant asked while asking him "Is there any problem sir?"

He replied nonchalantly and told me there was none to which I replied " I know there's no problem. So why are you searching my personal belongings".. All these while, maintaining my composure and tone.

He decided to ignore me... I let him know that only I would put my hand into my bag. He took the antibiotics I was on, probably mistaking it for trams. I looked on.... Very disappointed.

He called on who I think should be the leader and that one just pointed straight to my laptop and asked me to provide the receipt.

I asked him if it was realistic to carry a receipt for everything about? He was very irritated by my question and asking "what if it was a stolen laptop"
I then asked him this " If you want me to carry a receipt for my laptop, please, let every policeman here come with their phones and the due receipt for each phone."

He yelled at me to shut up and I replied again, still maintaining my tone and looking unfazed.

"Sir, as long as you're not investigating a criminal case involving a stolen Acer aspire, you have no business with my laptop. As far as this is concerned, this is an illegal stop and search"

He was so infuriated that he started to tell "So now my job is illegal..... Are you saying I need to have a search warrant to search you"

"Yes... You definitely have to have it, and you're operating like this with your name and number pegged to your chest. Look sir, I'm the son of a lawyer, all these would work on others, but not on me. I'm not contesting this with you anymore sir. Whenever you're ready, we'll move from here"

Folded my arms and looked away while he yelled severally "Your father will not be the first and last lawyer".. He almost tossed my laptop at me, which I caught and he left me with this warning

"Next time I see you and you have this countenance on your face, I will make sure I see your father".

I replied thank you and continued with my journey... Watched the other young men at the other side of the road looking on wishing they could switch places with me.

So yeah, Maybe we'll have another episode of protests against police extortion of young men. These men, after seeing that I was an artist since all my tools were in my bag decided to find another way to hook me down. Thank God I was able to weave this one.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by WiszyFraud: 10:56am On Apr 14, 2022
Nice one..

But you actually came out lucky somehow.
If you had met with the criminals amongst them, those ones really hates it when you question them.

They wouldn’t mind accusing you falsely, and probably gotten you arrested for suspicion of some silly stuff, or delayed your journey so badly.
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by AsomArchitectNG(m): 11:04am On Apr 14, 2022
Spot on. Young men needs to stand up for themselves

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by GooodHardDick: 11:10am On Apr 14, 2022
OP, you had luck you came out alive.

Na Nigeria police wey dey smoke weed you dey speak English for? you even started asking them intelligent questions? Omo.. U get luck.

In Nigeria, once a policeman sees a young fresh guy, to them., he is a criminal. Nigeria is gone!!!
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by DryMouth: 11:14am On Apr 14, 2022
Police is one of the problems we have in this country.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by dawnomike(m): 11:16am On Apr 14, 2022
NevetsIbot:

So.. I was journeying down to Akungba from Ogbomosho yesterday. A very hectic 6hrs journey that sapped of energy. The stress was next to none since I hate travelling and the last thing I needed was to be stopped at police checkpoints.

From Ogbomosho down to Ikare, we passed by several police stops and they would stop my bus, eye me intently since I was the only young guy in the bus. You could see their souls bite their fingers in disappointment upon seeing that the other occupants of the bus were middle aged citizen that wouldn't let them extort me. The driver also on purpose did not slow down just because of me. I didn't realize he was not slowing down at most stops because of me until we got into Ekiti.
That was just how I got straight to Ikare without police hassle. Boarded a bike straight to Akungba and I was met with the notorious policemen that stay about a kilometre just after the military checkpoint.

I was stopped, asked to open my backpack. I did as the sergeant asked while asking him "Is there any problem sir?"

He replied nonchalantly and told me there was none to which I replied " I know there's no problem. So why are you searching my personal belongings".. All these while, maintaining my composure and tone.

He decided to ignore me... I let him know that only I would put my hand into my bag. He took the antibiotics I was on, probably mistaking it for trams. I looked on.... Very disappointed.

He called on who I think should be the leader and that one just pointed straight to my laptop and asked me to provide the receipt.

I asked him if it was realistic to carry a receipt for everything about? He was very irritated by my question and asking "what if it was a stolen laptop"
I then asked him this " If you want me to carry a receipt for my laptop, please, let every policeman here come with their phones and the due receipt for each phone."

He yelled at me to shut up and I replied again, still maintaining my tone and looking unfazed.

"Sir, as long as you're not investigating a criminal case involving a stolen Acer aspire, you have no business with my laptop. As far as this is concerned, this is an illegal stop and search"

He was so infuriated that he started to tell "So now my job is illegal..... Are you saying I need to have a search warrant to search you"

"Yes... You definitely have to have it, and you're operating like this with your name and number pegged to your chest. Look sir, I'm the son of a lawyer, all these would work on others, but not on me. I'm not contesting this with you anymore sir. Whenever you're ready, we'll move from here"

Folded my arms and looked away while he yelled severally "Your father will not be the first and last lawyer".. He almost tossed my laptop at me, which I caught and he left me with this warning

"Next time I see you and you have this countenance on your face, I will make sure I see your father".

I replied thank you and continued with my journey... Watched the other young men at the other side of the road looking on wishing they could switch places with me.

So yeah, Maybe we'll have another episode of protests against police extortion of young men. These men, after seeing that I was an artist since all my tools were in my bag decided to find another way to hook me down. Thank God I was able to weave this one.

Glad you knew you right and stood up for it... But pls and pls, don't try this with policemen on the highway.

They are murderers who will late plant a gun on you and say you were a thief.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by slawormiir: 11:21am On Apr 14, 2022
Damnnn niggar
You must be a real niggar
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by NevetsIbot(m): 12:25pm On Apr 14, 2022
WiszyFraud:
Nice one..

But you actually came out lucky somehow.
If you had met with the criminals amongst them, those ones really hates it when you question them.

They wouldn’t mind accusing you falsely, and probably gotten you arrested for suspicion of some silly stuff, or delayed your journey so badly.

I was also stopped and questioned in Ibadan too for no reason... I did not argue with the officer and asked him these same series of questions. He got tired and let me go

I only Pray Nigeria doesn't kill every young man out there with these men in uniforms.

I thank God I was able to go free sha
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by Lilsameey: 1:50pm On Apr 14, 2022
NevetsIbot:

So.. I was journeying down to Akungba from Ogbomosho yesterday. A very hectic 6hrs journey that sapped of energy. The stress was next to none since I hate travelling and the last thing I needed was to be stopped at police checkpoints.

To, Are you a student of AAUA?. Maybe that's your first time, Those cops at that mumu checkpoint between Akungba and Ikare ehn, them mumu, they've extorted my guys ehn, poor guys, not into illegal shits, they fell for the threats.
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by Nobody: 2:46pm On Apr 14, 2022
NevetsIbot:

ifo chakpiii, wọo!!

Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by eldervine: 2:57pm On Apr 14, 2022
Thank God you didnt meet those wicked ones, no be wetin we for dey talk be this.
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by NevetsIbot(m): 3:37pm On Apr 14, 2022
Lilsameey:
To, Are you a student of AAUA?. Maybe that's your first time, Those cops at that mumu checkpoint between Akungba and Ikare ehn, them mumu, they've extorted my guys ehn, poor guys, not into illegal shits, they fell for the threats.

Yeah
I'm a student of AAUA and it's not my first time... Happened only once in my first year. I hardly meet them on that highway ever since then.

They stay at that road mainly to extort AAUA students...
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by Lilsameey: 4:54pm On Apr 14, 2022
NevetsIbot:

Yeah
I'm a student of AAUA and it's not my first time... Happened only once in my first year. I hardly meet them on that highway ever since then.

They stay at that road mainly to extort AAUA students...
Oh Okay, That's great, I no kuku blame them. I blame the way country hard now, e make our police force loose sense. How you see the school nah?
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by Meedot2(m): 4:54pm On Apr 14, 2022
I had this same experience while coming to Ikare from my State of Primary Assignment in Warri.
Mine happened at Edo state before getting to Benin city. we were stopped on the road by cops in an hummer bummer that does not have a registered number nor police written on it. The cops stopped us and asked us to open our bags, which we obeyed without saying anything. Then the foolish idiot asked me to provide the receipt for my Lenovo laptop which I explained to him politely that he does not have the right to ask me for it since there is no case for any missing laptop and moreover, I don't feel comfortable with that fact that we were stopped and search by cops that does not have anything to show that they truly belong to the Nigerian Police force because the vehicle they used does not have number and there is no insignia of NPF on it. The idiot started shouting on me that he will slap me if I repeat that statement again, which I told him that he should try it and see the outcome of his action.
I made him understand that I am a youth Corps member who has been away from his family for the past 6months all in the name of serving father land and now this is what I got from serving my beloved country? harassment from those meant to protect us? I took my phone out and was about to dail my Lgi number and some of my soldier friends in Warri when the idiot said "so because you are a Corper now, is that why you dey misbehave?" I simply told him no, that I am just a Nigerian who knows his right. last last the idiot free me but extort 20k from two guys in our car.
Another protest against NPF is long overdue, those bastards are misbehaving again.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by NevetsIbot(m): 5:01pm On Apr 14, 2022
Lilsameey:
Oh Okay, That's great, I no kuku blame them. I blame the way country hard now, e make our police force loose sense. How you see the school nah?

Omo. Na so so delay o. The school will either be on ASUU strike or close cos of school fees protest.. make dem just resume make I run my last semester comot from this hell hole. I'm tired
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by NevetsIbot(m): 5:05pm On Apr 14, 2022
Meedot2:
I had this same experience while coming to Ikare from my State of Primary Assignment in Warri.
Mine happened at Edo state before getting to Benin city. we were stopped on the road by cops in an hummer bummer that does not have a registered number nor police written on it. The cops stopped us and asked us to open our bags, which we obeyed without saying anything. Then the foolish idiot asked me to provide the receipt for my Lenovo laptop which I explained to him politely that he does not have the right to ask me for it since there is no case for any missing laptop and moreover, I don't feel comfortable with that fact that we were stopped and search by cops that does not have anything to show that they truly belong to the Nigerian Police force because the vehicle they used does not have number and there is no insignia of NPF on it. The idiot started shouting on me that he will slap me if I repeat that statement again, which I told him that he should try it and see the outcome of his action.
I made him understand that I am a youth Corps member who has been away from his family for the past 6months all in the name of serving father land and now this is what I got from serving my beloved country? harassment from those meant to protect us? I took my phone out and was about to dail my Lgi number and some of my soldier friends in Warri when the idiot said "so because you are a Corper now, is that why you dey misbehave?" I simply told him no, that I am just a Nigerian who knows his right. last last the idiot free me but extort 20k from two guys in our car.
Another protest against NPF is long overdue, those bastards are misbehaving again.

Swears man. That's how I was stopped in Ibadan just after ShopRite and searched like a thief. Should I start to wear rags just because I don't want police problems??
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by NevetsIbot(m): 5:06pm On Apr 14, 2022
eldervine:
Thank God you didnt meet those wicked ones, no be wetin we for dey talk be this.

May God continue to protect us. I pray not to meet the cold blooded ones
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by NevetsIbot(m): 5:07pm On Apr 14, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar
You must be a real niggar

Slawormiir himself. grin grin
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by NevetsIbot(m): 5:09pm On Apr 14, 2022
GooodHardDick:
OP, you had luck you came out alive.

Na Nigeria police wey dey smoke weed you dey speak English for? you even started asking them intelligent questions? Omo.. U get luck.

In Nigeria, once a policeman sees a young fresh guy, to them., he is a criminal. Nigeria is gone!!!

Omo.. this man dey try use English roll with me sha. Assuming I let him switch the conversation to Yoruba... It would have probably headed south. Had to make him feel inferior with my language choice.
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by VladimirPutiin(m): 5:13pm On Apr 14, 2022
Next don’t argue with them so you don’t get shot.
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by eldervine: 5:18pm On Apr 14, 2022
NevetsIbot:

May God continue to protect us. I pray not to meet the cold blooded ones
Amen bruv
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by BeerBeerManiple: 5:20pm On Apr 14, 2022
Another place worth mentioning is Mile One police station around Education/ Mile one market.

They are extorting young men and framing them with all slights of things as exhibit most especially they use drugs.

Such a pity.
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by Meedot2(m): 5:27pm On Apr 14, 2022
NevetsIbot:

Swears man. That's how I was stopped in Ibadan just after ShopRite and searched like a thief. Should I start to wear rags just because I don't want police problems??

They want every young man to look wretched and dress poorly ni. Na thunder go fire the bad elements in NPF
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by HarunaWest(m): 5:45pm On Apr 14, 2022
Nonsense that they cant try here in the North. Na guard room them go crash.
Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by Ultraviolet5: 6:38pm On Apr 14, 2022
this is so annoying to read because it can happen to anyone of us . its not enough that this shitty country gives us the young men such limited opportunities to make it in life , and emif we happen to find a non criminal way of hustling these motherfucking idiots flock around like vultures.

we are not safe from poverty,we are not safe from thieves and when we see the police we again end up feeling unsafe.

what is it sef? who did we offend in this country. Nigerians' superpower is akin to that of an ostrich,hiding our faces in the sand and hoping a problem goes away. And can you blame them ? when the youth tried to protest,to take a stand president Muhammad buhari and his team murdered them , tortured and imprisoned them for speaking up , their bodies were swept up under the rug and their cries muffled.
The country continues to batter it's youth ,the toll gate incident has been ignored and forgotten.
And those who were blamed for it are moving around freely, contesting for elections. smh.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The Police Checkpoint At Ikare. by fredwill1357(m): 9:39am On May 14, 2022
NevetsIbot:

A protest is not what we need, protests will change little to nothing, a leopard can't change it's spot. What we really need is for the government to ban and take over all private secondary schools to stop exam malpractice, increase surveillance and invigilation during WAEC exams. This way we can make sure that only brilliant and intelligent people get a good high school result.
Sack all the dunces in the Nigeria police and military and replace them with brilliant people, improve their living conditions and watch the law enforcement agents behave far better.

(1) (Reply)

Itel Rewards Customers With 37 Seconds Shopping Spree, Promises Better Life For / Marrying A Second Wife Good Or Bad I Need Ur Opinion / Please Help!! I Want To Get Married But I Only Attract Bad Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.