Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,771 members, 7,802,367 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:07 PM

Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ (765 Views)

Pastor Olakunle Beloved: Sex Before Marriage Is Not Sin (Video) / Do not Sin when you're angry / For Those Of You Who Say Masturbation Is Not Sin... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 4:42pm On Apr 14, 2022
In the Gospels, Jesus Christ does not teach that divorce is a sin. Instead, He speaks instead of remarriage being a potential sin for those already divorced, and even those about to marry for the first time. undecided
Matthew 5 vs 31 - 32
31 “It was also said, ‘Any man who divorces his wife must give her a written notice of divorce.’
32 But I tell you that any man who divorces his wife, except for the problem of sexual sin, is causing his wife to be guilty of adultery. And whoever marries a divorced woman is guilty of adultery. - Matthew 5 vs 31 - 32
Matthew 19 vs 7 - 9
7 The Pharisees asked, “Then why did Moses give a command allowing a man to divorce his wife by writing a certificate of divorce?”
8 Jesus answered, “Moses allowed you to divorce your wives because you refused to accept God’s teaching. But divorce was not allowed in the beginning.
9 I tell you that whoever divorces his wife, except for the problem of sexual sin, and marries another woman is guilty of adultery.” - Matthew 19 vs 7 - 9
Mark 10 vs 10- 12
10 Later, when the followers and Jesus were in the house, they asked him again about the question of divorce. 
11 He said, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman has sinned against his wife. He is guilty of adultery. 
12  And the woman who divorces her husband and marries another man is also guilty of adultery.” - Mark 10 vs 10- 12
Luke 16 vs 18
18 “Any man who divorces his wife and marries another woman is guilty of adultery. And the man who marries a divorced woman is also guilty of adultery.” - Luke 16 vs 18
Matthew 19 vs 12
11 He answered, “This statement is true for some, but not for everyone—only for those who have been given this gift.
12 There are different reasons why some men don’t marry. Some were born without the ability to produce children. Others were made that way later in life. And others have given up marriage because of God’s kingdom. This is for anyone who is able to accept it.” - Matthew 19 vs 11 - 12

Divorce in and of itself is not a sin, so says Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by orisa37: 5:18pm On Apr 14, 2022
YOU AGREED TO MARRY. YOU ALSO AGREED TO GO YOUR SEPARATE WAYS. NO SIN COMMITTED.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Magnoliaa(f): 6:55pm On Apr 14, 2022
So sin happens when a divorced person remarries [anybody who isn't their "ex-spouse"]?
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 6:57pm On Apr 14, 2022
Magnoliaa:
So sin happens when a divorced person remarries [anybody who isn't their "ex-spouse"]?
Except if the reason for the divorce was sexual sin. In this case it is not sin. undecided
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Magnoliaa(f): 7:01pm On Apr 14, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Except if the reason for the divorce was sexual sin. In this case it is not sin. undecided

I know. So if it's not on sexual unfaithfulness grounds, remarrying as a divorced person is sin?
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 7:02pm On Apr 14, 2022
Magnoliaa:
I know. So if it's not on sexual unfaithfulness grounds, remarrying as a divorced person is sin?
Yes! That is what is sin. Divorce in and of itself is however not a sin. undecided

1 Like

Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Magnoliaa(f): 7:04pm On Apr 14, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Yes! That is what is sin. Divorce in and of itself is however not a sin. undecided

Okay. And if the divorced couple come back together again to remarry, would that still be a sin?
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by lilvicky68(m): 7:06pm On Apr 14, 2022
Ok..
That means divorced people should stay single till when their spouse die then they can remarry
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 7:07pm On Apr 14, 2022
Magnoliaa:
Okay. And if the divorced couple come back together again to remarry, would that still be a sin?
I don't believe in is sin in that case since the specifications list the marrying of another as sin. undecided

So if a divorced couple get back together, they commit no sin. undecided
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Magnoliaa(f): 7:11pm On Apr 14, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I don't believe in is sin in that case since the specifications list the marrying of another as sin. undecided

So if a divorced couple get back together, they commit no sin. undecided

I get your point actually. No problem.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by tctrills: 7:42pm On Apr 14, 2022
Kobojunkie:
In the Gospels, Jesus Christ does not teach that divorce is sin. Instead, He speaks of remarriage being potential sin for those divorced. undecided
Matthew 5 vs 31 - 32

Matthew 19 vs 7 - 9

Mark 10 vs 10- 12

Luke 16 vs 18

You seem to forget one little truth though, The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
[4] And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
[5] And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
[6] Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
[7] They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
[8] He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 7:43pm On Apr 14, 2022
tctrills:
You seem to forget one little truth though, The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
[4] And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
[5] And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
[6] Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
[7] They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
[8] He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
I don't understand what you are trying to say at all. undecided
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by tctrills: 7:48pm On Apr 14, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I don't understand what you are trying to say at all. undecided
I know you don't but don't worry, many others would understand
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by LilMissFavvy(f): 8:19pm On Apr 14, 2022
Oga, look at the number 8 which is in bold. The men Jesus was talking to, were divorcing their wives and remarrying, they didn't divorce their wives due to infidelity, but for other baseless reasons because of the hardness of their hearts. Can you remember Vashti wasn't divorced because of infidelity? Bible gave two conditions for divorce. One is infidelity which the OP made the relevant scriptures available, Jesus mentioned infidelity, likewise Paul. The second reason one can divorce is mentioned by Paul in ist. Corin. 7:15 "but if the unbelieving depart, let him depart, a brother or sister is not in bondage in such cases. "

God hates divorce, but the holy Bible gave two grounds for which one can divorce. Most Orthodox churches brainwash* their members, telling them that infidelity isn't enough reason for divorce, that one should forgive. The question is, how about a situation when a woman's health is at risk, because of her husband's continuous/unrepentant infidelty? STDs are real, Jesus knew things like this can happen, and stated one can leave because of infidelity, but some churches claim to know better.
tctrills:

2 Likes

Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by LilMissFavvy(f): 8:26pm On Apr 14, 2022
Yes, divorce done based on the two grounds which Bible stipulated is not sin. Unfortunately, majority of churches today will always tell women in bad marriages to endure, they now say "forgiveness" is used to counter infidelity/divorce. I was shocked to hear these brainwashed* teachings from a born again Christian married woman. Meaning that even if a woman's health is at risk, she has to still forgive her husband's infidelity and stay in the marriage, and pray for healing, how funny.
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 8:39pm On Apr 14, 2022
LilMissFavvy:
1. Yes, divorce done based on the two grounds which Bible stipulated is not sin.

2. Unfortunately, majority of churches today will always tell women in bad marriages to endure, they now say "forgiveness" is used to counter infidelity/divorce. I was shocked to hear these brainwashed* teachings from a born again Christian married woman. Meaning that even if a woman's health is at risk, she has to still forgive her husband's infidelity and stay in the marriage, and pray for healing, how funny.
1. Not according to Jesus Christ's own words, I am afraid.. undecided

Jesus Christ never actually teaches that divorce is sin. Divorce is not sin, and this irrespective of the reasons given for it. undecided

2. The reason for the problem is the false doctrine that teaches divorce as sin, when it isn't sin at all. undecided

Also, Forgiveness, was never demanded by God as counter to infidelity or divorce. These doctrines are antiChrist since Jesus Christ never taught us to forgive others for their sake. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to remain in a toxic marriage even after forgiving a spouse's sins against one. Forgiveness as taugt us by Jesus Christ mandates no such. undecided
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by LilMissFavvy(f): 8:42pm On Apr 14, 2022
Take your time and read my messages carefully, you can read it tomorrow if you are sleepy. I am trying to say that you are totally correct, only that you mentioned "infidelity" alone. So I added the second grounds for divorce which Paul gave.

Yes, one can chose to forgive and not divorce, but it should be a personal choice, not something one is brainwashed* to do or not, by a so called MOG.

Kobojunkie:
1. Not according to Jesus Christ's own words, I am afraid.. undecided

Jesus Christ never actually teaches that divorce is sin. Divorce is not sin, and this irrespective of the reasons given for it. undecided

2. The reason for the problem is the false doctrine that teaches divorce as sin, when it isn't sin at all. undecided

Also, Forgiveness, was never demanded by God as counter to infidelity or divorce. These doctrines are antiChrist since Jesus Christ never taught us to forgive others for their sake. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to remain in a toxic marriage even after forgiving a spouse's sins against one. Forgiveness as taugt us by Jesus Christ mandates no such. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 8:49pm On Apr 14, 2022
LilMissFavvy:
Take your time and read my messages carefully, you can read it tomorrow if you are sleepy. I am trying to say that you are totally correct, only that you mention "infidelity" alone. So I added the second grounds for divorce which Paul gave.
But you are missing the message here which is there are no grounds for which Divorce is sin, none whatsoever! undecided

if, for instancd, a person decides to quit a marriage simply because he/she realizes marriage is too stressful, there is no sin committed. That is what Jesus Christ Himself is telling you. Divorce is NOT a sin.. undecided
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by LilMissFavvy(f): 8:54pm On Apr 14, 2022
Hahahahah...... which part of Bible said you can divorce if you are tired of the marriage? Such scriptures do not exist Kobo, you can't quit marriage because it's stressful. If you quit marriage because it's stressful, then you have committed sin, because that wasn't the grounds provided in the Bible for divorce.

I know you will twist the scriptures to prove whatever you wish, but it's your opinion, not in the Bible.
Kobojunkie:
But you are missing the message here which is there are are grounds for which Divorce is sin, none whatsoever! undecided

if, for instancd, a person decides to quit a marriage simply because he/she realizes marriage is too stressful, there is no sin committed. That is what Jesus Christ Himself is telling you. Divorce is NOT a sin.. undecided

1 Like

Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 9:09pm On Apr 14, 2022
LilMissFavvy:
1. Hahahahah...... which part of Bible said you can divorce if you are tired of the marriage?

2. Such scriptures do not exist Kobo, you can't quit marriage because it's stressful. If you quit marriage because it's stressful, then you have committed sin, because that wasn't the grounds provided in the Bible for divorce.

3. I know you will twist the scriptures to prove whatever you wish, but it's your opinion, not in the Bible.
1. It's right there before your eyes but for some reason you do not see it yet. Let me try to show it to you again..
7 The Pharisees asked, “Then why did Moses give a command allowing a man to divorce his wife by writing a certificate of divorce ?”

8 Jesus answered, “Moses allowed you to divorce your wives because you refused to accept God’s teaching. But divorce was not allowed in the beginning.
9 I tell you that whoever divorces his wife, except for the problem of sexual sin, and marries another woman is guilty of adultery.” - Matthew 19 vs 7 - 9
In verse 9 above, Jesus Christ tells us that the sin of adultery happens, not when the divorce takes place but instead when remarriage happens in the case that the divorce was not a result of sexual sin.. undecided

Meaning divorce is not sin. Instead the issue of sin comes in when remarriage is considered.. undecided

2. Following what is written even in Matthew 19 vs 9 above, you should be able to see that Divorce, on any grounds even the one I stated, is not sin. It is only in remarrying that one potentially sins. undecided

3. You are fond of accusing me of twisting scripture. The last conversation we had ended with you accusing but failing to, when called upon to, provide evidence to back up your accusation. And I am sure you will also have no evidence to offer even now. undecided

As for the beginning when divorce was not allowed, well, Jesus Christ was referring to Genesis 2 vs 24 when God instituted marriage. However by Genesis 3 vs 16, after man fell, God cursed marriage, making divorce a thing. undecided
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by tctrills: 9:15pm On Apr 14, 2022
look at the number 8 which is in bold. The men Jesus was talking to, were divorcing their wives and remarrying, they didn't divorce their wives due to infidelity, but for other baseless reasons because of the hardness of their hearts. Can you remember Vashti wasn't divorced because of infidelity? Bible gave two conditions for divorce. One is infidelity which the OP made the relevant scriptures available, Jesus mentioned infidelity, likewise Paul. The second reason one can divorce is mentioned by Paul in ist. Corin. 7:15 "but if the unbelieving depart, let him depart, a brother or sister is not in bondage in such cases. "

God hates divorce, but the holy Bible gave two grounds for which one can divorce. Most Orthodox churches brainwash* their members, telling them that infidelity isn't enough reason for divorce, that one should forgive. The question is, how about a situation when a woman's health is at risk, because of her husband's continuous/unrepentant infidelty? STDs are real, Jesus knew things like this can happen, and stated one can leave because of infidelity, but some churches claim to know better.

A few things here
1 God is against divorce
2. Paul never commanded Christians to divorce even if they marry unbelievers, he said the unbeliever is free to go. He never said leave you spouse if he is an un believer.
3. The bible never suggested we should divorce in situation of health, STD, and so on. We would not write a new bible but we can choose to interpret as we wish.
I am not going to tell anyone how to live his or her life but saying that God isn't against adultery is a pure lie. God is against anything that breaks the family system which he set up.
God is against people breaking their vows.
every divorce has Satan behind it not God.
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by LilMissFavvy(f): 10:11pm On Apr 14, 2022
I will only respond to the part of your message in bold below, because I am unable to understand the exact information you are trying to pass.

Anyone who who leaves his wife or husband outside the two permitted reasons in the Bible has automatically committed sin. This is because such a person has exposed himself and his divorced partner to either sexual immorality or remarrying.

What do you mean by it is only when one remarries that it becomes adultery (sin), even if you are going to stop yourself from remarrying/committing fornication, are you going to chain your divorced partner from remarrying or having sex after the divorce? As soon as you divorce your partner, you have automatically exposed the person, so the divorce is sin, you can only be free if it was based on two grounds Bible allowed.

Kobojunkie:
1. It's right there before your eyes but for some reason you do not see it yet. Let me try to show it to you again..
In verse 9 above, Jesus Christ tells us that the sin of adultery happens, not when the divorce takes place but instead when remarriage happens in the case that the divorce was not a result of sexual sin.. undecided

Meaning divorce is not sin. Instead the issue of sin comes in when remarriage is considered.. undecided

2. Following what is written even in Matthew 19 vs 9 above, you should be able to see that Divorce, on any grounds even the one I stated, is not sin. It is only in remarrying that one potentially sins. undecided

3. You are fond of accusing me of twisting scripture. The last conversation we had ended with you accusing but failing to, when called upon to, provide evidence to back up your accusation. And I am sure you will also have no evidence to offer even now. undecided

As for the beginning when divorce was not allowed, well, Jesus Christ was referring to Genesis 2 vs 24 when God instituted marriage. However by Genesis 3 vs 16, after man fell, God cursed marriage, making divorce a thing. undecided
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 10:25pm On Apr 14, 2022
LilMissFavvy:
1. Anyone who who leaves his wife or husband outside the two permitted reasons in the Bible has automatically committed sin. This is because such a person has exposed himself and his divorced partner to either sexual immorality or remarrying.

2. What do you mean by it is only when one remarries that it becomes adultery (sin), even if you are going to stop yourself from remarrying/committing fornication,

3. are you going to chain your divorced partner from remarrying or having sex after the divorce? As soon as you divorce your partner, you have automatically exposed the person, so the divorce is sin, you can only be free if it was based on two grounds Bible allowed.
1. Again, Jesus Christ clearly tells you, that divorce is not sin.. undecided

2. Exactly as it is expressed right there in Matthew 19 vs 9, it isn't until you remarry that you potentially commit sin against God. If you chose not to remarry, you commit no sin against God - that's what Jesus Christ is telling you there in Matthew 19 vs 9. Consider this, in Matthew 19 vs 12, Jesus Christ also speaks to the fact that we are permitted by God to live as Eunuchs for the sake of His Kingdom, foregoing remarriage, that is.

3. In Matthew 5 vs 31 - 32, Jesus Christ says,"Any man who divorces his wife, except for the problem of sexual sin, is causing his wife to be guilty of adultery" . The one who potentially commits adultery, is not the man himself, but the divorced wife. Said man is instead causing another to sin .I.e. opening her up to potentially committing sin - Matthew 18 vs 6 and Matthew 9 vs 42 is what Jesus Christ taught on such. undecided
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 3:07pm On Apr 15, 2022
TruthinAction, in the OP is all contained in the Gospels, Jesus Christ, regarding the sin of adultery. undecided
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 5:07am On Apr 17, 2022
There is nothing like holy matrimony this since that which has been cursed by God Himself is rendered unholy by virtue of His judgment against it. undecided

Marriage, according to Genesis 2 vs 24 is simply an agreement between a man and woman to become husband and wife(marriage). The very same husband and wife on whom the curse in Genesis 3 vs 16 is placed on by God..
You(wife) will want your husband very much,
    but he(husband) will rule over you(wife).”
- Genesis 3 vs 16b
Implicated are the very same husband and wife(one) that is a marriage. undecided

God didn't place that curse on single women or single men, but on men and women in marriage(husband and wife) .I.e. on marriage itself. undecided
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 12:23pm On Apr 17, 2022
Ishilove, I am again asking that you consider what I have stated about God's curse on marriage clearly stated in Genesis 3 vs 16. Let me know exactly why you go around pretending I am wrong in my claim about what God said there. undecided
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 12:07pm On Apr 18, 2022
Also, regarding the issue of divorce, God does hate divorce but because God already cursed marriage in Genesis 3 vs 16, God didn't decree divorce a sin, this neither in His Old Covenant, nor in Jesus Christ undecided
6 The Lord spoke to me during the time King Josiah was ruling the nation of Judah. He said, “Jeremiah, you saw the bad things Israel did! You saw how she was unfaithful to me. She was unfaithful to me with every idol on every hill and under every green tree.
7 I said to myself, ‘Israel will come back to me after she has finished doing these evil things.’ But she did not come back to me. And Israel’s unfaithful sister, Judah, saw what she did.
8 Israel was unfaithful, and she knew why I sent her away. Israel knew that I divorced her because she committed the sin of adultery. But that did not make her unfaithful sister afraid. Judah was not afraid. She also went out and acted like a prostitute.
9 Judah did not care that she was acting like a prostitute. So she made her country ‘dirty.’ She committed the sin of adultery by worshiping idols made out of stone and wood. - Jeremiah 3 vs 6 - 9
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 2:29pm On May 01, 2022
In the very same context of Genesis 3 vs 16, God also placed a curse on woman(irrespective of marital status) in child pregnancy and childbirth. Yes, the same God who commanded, "Be fruitful and multiply" in Genesis 1 vs 28, in Genesis 3 vs 16a cursed childbearing, so that every child born into this world is born via God's curse. undecided
16 Then God said to the woman,
“I will cause you to have much trouble when you are pregnant. And when you give birth to children, you will have much pain.... -
Genesis 3 vs 16a
Can that which is born of God's curse be of God's blessing? undecided

I ask this of those who say things like, "Children are a blessing from God". This is not to suggest that children are evil. It is simply to get one to carefully consider what they hear and accept as being from God because we tend to tell ourselves a lot of lies about God and the things of God. undecided
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Westerhoffe(m): 7:40am On Jan 06
Kobojunkie:
In the Gospels, Jesus Christ does not teach that divorce is a sin. Instead, He speaks instead of remarriage being a potential sin for those already divorced, and even those about to marry for the first time. undecided
Matthew 5 vs 31 - 32

Matthew 19 vs 7 - 9

Mark 10 vs 10- 12

Luke 16 vs 18

Matthew 19 vs 12

Another banger by the false teacher.

What does the quoted you ignored signify?

“And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.”
— Matthew 19:9 (KJV)

Divorcing your wife when she did not commit cheat on you is a SIN.

That's what JESUS CHRIST said there, before whoever marries the divorced.
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Iamanoited: 7:36am On Jan 07
Divorce is a Sin if either of the partners is hurt, that is,, if the agreement to divorce is not mutually understood and accepted by the partners.
All Judgements at the Temple of Grace are settled on contractual agreement.
Re: Divorce Is NOT Sin - Jesus Christ by Kobojunkie: 7:44am On Jan 07
Iamanoited:
■ Divorce is a Sin if either of the partners is hurt, that is,, if the agreement to divorce is not mutually understood and accepted by the partners.
■ All Judgements at the Temple of Grace are settled on contractual agreement.
What you said makes no sense given what is contained in the Gospel. undecided

2. This other statement also makes no sense. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Are You A Christian If You Are Not Born Again? / Iran Will Attack Israel In March To Trigger A Global Conflict / This is for all singers(especially worshippers)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.