Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? (36678 Views)

Ingredients Of Marital Love In Islam / It’s A Sin For Muslims To Vote Non- Muslims –islamic Cleric / THE Sin Of Fornication And Adultery In Islam Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by igbele(f): 11:55am On Jul 07, 2011
salam alaykum I want know if applying of relaxer is unislamical. candid answers pls
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by Sweetnecta: 12:53pm On Jul 07, 2011
a muslim woman must cover first.

she can relax her hair or wear it natural. either way, the whole body plus the hair remain covered as when in salah.

Allah is knows best.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by maclatunji: 4:57pm On Jul 08, 2011
Sweetnecta:

a muslim woman must cover first.

she can relax her hair or wear it natural. either way, the whole body plus the hair remain covered as when in salah.

Allah is knows best.

Proof please regarding the relaxer that is.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by Nobody: 12:27am On Jul 09, 2011
Asalamu Alaykum, what about the verse that says we should not change the creation of Allah?or is afro hair not the way Allah made africans?

1 Like

Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by miftaudeen(m): 3:24pm On Jul 09, 2011
salam alaykum uplawal,how was everything? i asked of you from jarus he said that you just got married.BARAKALLAHU FIHI
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by Sweetnecta: 4:39am On Jul 10, 2011
All things that are not ibadat are permissible unless made haram. All ibadat are haram unless made permissible.

www.turntoislam.com › , › General Discussions › Islamic Discussion - Cached -

www.islam.tc/cgi-bin/askimam/cat.pl?c=Women - Cached

Content-type: text/html
Ask the Imam Online Q & A with Mufti Ebrahim Desai

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Ask-Imam.com > Women > Question 1722

Previous

For African women, is a hair relaxer jaiz. It straightens the hair to make it easier to take care of.

Request for du'a

Answer 1722

December 11, 2000

Email this question to yourself or a friend
Tell a friend

Show a printer friendly version of this question
Printable Copy

Search through the Fatwa Q & A's
Search Q & A's

Browse through the Fatwa Q & A's
View Q & A's

Ask Imam your question, online
Ask a Question

It is permissible to use the hair relaxer in order to straighten the hair.

And Allah Ta'ala knows best

Mufti E. Desai

also check out Questions; 2272, 2357, 9408, 6533; If a woman's hair is damaged due to frequent use of chemical based hair relaxer, can she cut it and grow it naturally so that she stops using it? note that the sheikh did not say don't the relaxer at all. but said; stop using the relaxer so that the hair could repairs itself instead of cuttingit.

Can the hair be cut in this case? If a woman's hair is damaged due to frequent use of chemical based hair relaxer, can she cut it and grow it naturally so that she stops using it?
Answer 6533

September 04, 2002

Email this question to yourself or a friend
Tell a friend

Show a printer friendly version of this question
Printable Copy

Search through the Fatwa Q & A's
Search Q & A's

Browse through the Fatwa Q & A's
View Q & A's

Ask Imam your question, online
Ask a Question

The reason furnished to cut the hair is not very valid. She should desist
from using the chemical-based product and, Insha Allah, the damaged hair
will repair itself overtime.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Muhammad Kadwa
FATWA DEPT.

CHECKED AND APPROVED: Mufti Ebrahim Desai

www.beautifulislam.net/women/beard_and_hair.htm - Cached
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by Sweetnecta: 6:00pm On Jul 10, 2011
All acts of Ibadat is forbidden, unless it is made permissible; we know that all prostrations belongs to Allah.
but He allowed by command the prostrations of all angels to Adam. this was not forbidden then
but He allowed by dream coming true the prostration of Yaqub and his household to Yusuf. this was not forbidden then

All acts that are not Ibadats are permissible, unless it is made forbidden; we know we can eat all kind of foods unless forbidden.
we know we can beautify ourselves, especially women in every way, except what is forbidden.
women are to keep long hair. women are to not have artificial hair to make it long; which is fake.

how is straightening hair, which is merely loosening the curls artificial and become forbidden?

in the below site material, the sheikh advised the woman to let her hair get repaired instead of cutting it. note that he did not say in his answer that she should never have or not to use the relaxer.

www.turntoislam.com › , › General Discussions › Islamic Discussion - Cached -

www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1119503547160, - Cyprus

www.islam.tc/cgi-bin/askimam/cat.pl?c=Women - Cached

islam is easy; a proof of that is that even men who should not dye their gray black, but any other color, can dye it black to give appearance of youth in time of war if he is a soldier. youth is a sign of strength and the enemy will be weary of strong army.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by maclatunji: 1:54pm On Jul 11, 2011
Since I asked for proof, I must thank you for providing reference.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by deols(f): 9:58pm On Jul 29, 2011
Until proven otherwise, it is halal
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 26, 2011
It is not halal,but haram,me av not seen devoted sisters applying relaxers except the likes of you,sweetnecta's wife,ignorant ones,and other stubborn ones,that will wanna prove haram to be halal just like some sisters that put beautiful henna design on their hands and carry it about without wearing gloves to conceal it. Why must you change the way Allah create you in the first place,he knows best why he gave you afro hair,and not silky hair like caucasians or asians
NEVER TAKE OUT YOUR HAIR WHEN YOU ARE NOT READY TO WASH IT AND MAKE IT

WASH YOUR HAIR WELL WITH GOOD SHAMPOO

APPLY MOISTURISER AND GREASE THE HAIR ROOT

TOWELDRY AND BLOWDRY

GET AN HAIR DRESSER TO MAKE NICE HAIR STYLE IN YOUR HOME AND NOT SALON
PUT ACCESSORIES IF YOU LIKE,SPRAY IT AND MAKKE SURE YOU DEMAND HAIR MONEY FROM YOUR HUSBAND.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by maclatunji: 9:17am On Sep 26, 2011
Salam Alaykum Uplawal, nice to know that you are well. I would just like you to provide us with reference to back-up your point. This is a very interesting discussion and I am interested in knowing the basis of each person's arguments. Thank you.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 26, 2011
Wa leikum salam brother,anyform of change of creation of Allah is evil except when life is threatening,and i dnt think a woman's hair can be a threat if treated well,the surah 4,119 spoke of it,and hair relaxing is not an exception atleast you have changed it from the way Allah created it
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by maclatunji: 11:10am On Sep 26, 2011
^^^Uplawal, I know the perspective you are coming from. However, sometimes we are guilty of projecting our perception of certain Islamic teachings to other areas which they may not necessarily apply. I would really like to see the explanation of a scholar with your perspective. I could argue for your points but then other people have differing opinions. In such a situation, we should be able to compare and contrast the divergent opinions.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by deols(f): 7:03pm On Sep 26, 2011
uplawal:

It is not halal,but haram,me av not seen devoted sisters applying relaxers except the likes of you,sweetnecta's wife,ignorant ones,and other stubborn ones,that will wanna prove haram to be halal just like some sisters that put beautiful henna design on their hands and carry it about without wearing gloves to conceal it. Why must you change the way Allah create you in the first place,he knows best why he gave you afro hair,and not silky hair like caucasians or asians
NEVER TAKE OUT YOUR HAIR WHEN YOU ARE NOT READY TO WASH IT AND MAKE IT

WASH YOUR HAIR WELL WITH GOOD SHAMPOO

APPLY MOISTURISER AND GREASE THE HAIR ROOT

TOWELDRY AND BLOWDRY

GET AN HAIR DRESSER TO MAKE NICE HAIR STYLE IN YOUR HOME AND NOT SALON
PUT ACCESSORIES IF YOU LIKE,SPRAY IT AND MAKKE SURE YOU DEMAND HAIR MONEY FROM YOUR HUSBAND.

sister Uplawal, welcome bak!

I checked the verse u mentioned nd d commentary too. If u provide something scholarly on it, nd convincing enoff, believe me I'll stop relaxing my hair. I actually do all u av said above but there's still always d need to relax it. But until proven otherwise, it is halal.

not every saloon is exposed nd except that avn ur hairdo outside is haram too, u dont need to av it in ur home.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 27, 2011
This is why we have problem with people,there are some verse that are clear without Scholars explaining it,you mean you have to take a scholars view before you believe Allah,if is the case then, Allah will guide us.suit yourself,as for the salon,do you buy the salon for that hour you wanna make your hair,or you tell them to cover you with curtains,cos salon is public place and men goes in and out,and you cant stop some men from entering,the hijab sisters that i know of do only didi,weaving without attachment,they look so beautiful and clean naturally and they come to do it for them at home,well as i said suit yourself.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by deols(f): 5:50pm On Sep 27, 2011
asking u to bring scholarly reference is actually an honor- take it or leave it. U seem to not know dat revelations in d Qur'an must be taken into context. Why, when, how? these questions are to be answered. It is just like pple who claim they have every right to kill unbelievers just because the Qur'an says so without understanding the conditions of when such killing is allowed, for what reasons and how

If we are not to tamper with nature and am allowed to translate the Qur'an as I wish. Would it be alright to say we av all tampered with it cos actually we av built on the soil, dugged into it and av changed the form of so many things. we av gone into the moon, placed satellites around the earth nd so on.

Now tell me those are not human and i'll ask u if it is okay to circumcise a boy or to pierce ur ears for ear rings or to wear henna( laali)
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by tpia5: 9:18pm On Sep 27, 2011
seems you can perm it for your husband?

i googled the topic.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by deols(f): 9:43pm On Sep 27, 2011
tpia@:

seems you can perm it for your husband?

i googled the topic.

am not married. so am not allowed help google that too.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by tpia5: 9:45pm On Sep 27, 2011
^^my post was a general one.

for single girls, well, i guess not if you're conservative, going by what i've seen personally?

either that or you still cover the hair after perming.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by deols(f): 9:47pm On Sep 27, 2011
tpia@:

^^my post was a general one.

for single girls, well, i guess not if you're conservative, going by what i've seen personally?

either that or you still cover the hair after perming.

seen personally?? where??

every one gets to cover it anyway except with their mahram.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by tpia5: 9:54pm On Sep 27, 2011
conservative muslim ladies [at least in nigeria] dont perm their hair, as far as i know.

i dont think perming or not perming is meant to indicate spirituality per se, but it might be difficult to have natural hair if you're overseas.

for oyibos/arabs/non-blacks, its easier for them since all they have to do is use a hair clip but for the rest of us, our hair needs more attention.

braids should be ok though.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 28, 2011
Pls tpia,can you stop interfering in islamic issues cos you dnt like islam, by the way we dnt need your opinion of any kind,your ideology of spirituality is very different from ours,we muslims dnt just assume a spirituality by mere tongue like xtians,or under one blood of a man, we get spiritual by total obedience to Allah's command,when he says no,we take his no,and obey,we dnt turn back against his command,that is our own spirituality,and not by how we want it,but how he wants it, Muslims spirituality is based on total obedience to Allah's laws,with no second thought,Am sorry if this hurt,but its true.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 28, 2011
@tpia,Secondly,you dnt tell us what is ok,except you are one of us,and even if you are one of us,whatever you say has to go inaccordance with the words  of Allah and his last prophet(Muhammadu pbuh).

Braids is not acceptable for muslims,only your own natural hair,no fake beauty in islam such as using bleaching cream,painting nails(except if the person has to wipe it before  ablution/prayers,fixing false nails,all types of cosmetic surgery,except if life is in danger.
Once again,am sorry i dnt mean to be rude.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 28, 2011
Sister Deols,Allah dnt say we should not till the ground,Allah encourage farming,infact he encourages us having shelter on our heads,check the Quran as Allah permits us,as long as you dnt change the soil into something else, its fine,as av said earlier,its either you obey or you suit yourself.

As for the piercing,its not everybody that pierce,some muslims dnt pierce and some muslims too dnt circumcised,cos they believe it to be alteration of Allah's creation,cos they will argue with you with the verse that says,Allah created us perfectly,that theres no flaws in his creation,except the majority that believed they have to do the tradition of the prophet or where did you see it in the Quran that Allah says Abraham the one that starts the islamic rites did circumcised himself,as far as i know,circumcision was not part of the rites prophet Abraham did as mentioned in the Quran.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by Sweetnecta: 11:45am On Sep 28, 2011
my dear sister Uplawal; As sSalaamualaykum wa Rahmatullah.

i just read your comment about my wife. I had to laugh, because i will like to know how relaxer [something that relaxes] is haram?

i believe everything that is not worship is permissible, except what is prohibited [and alcohol is not a thing that is of woership. it is one of those forbidden. so is illegal sex] of it. therefore i will like to understand how a relaxer that allows hair to be manageable, even though you have to cover it is forbidden?

it well established that all act of worship is forbidden unless permitted [so sajdah to Adam [as] by the Angels was ordered/permitted. and when Iblis the jinn in there community did not make sajdah, he became a disbeliever, rebellious. also sajdah to Yusuf [as] by his family was permitted, in fulfillment of his prophetic dream]

my sister may Allah make you and all muslims, males and females grow stronger. i like your spirit of commitment.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by maclatunji: 11:50am On Sep 28, 2011
Sweetnecta:

my dear sister Uplawal; As sSalaamualaykum wa Rahmatullah.

i just read your comment about my wife. I had to laugh, because i will like to know how relaxer [something that relaxes] is haram?

i believe everything that is not worship is permissible, except what is prohibited [and alcohol is not a thing that is of woership. it is one of those forbidden. so is illegal sex] of it. therefore i will like to understand how a relaxer that allows hair to be manageable, even though you have to cover it is forbidden?

it well established that all act of worship is forbidden unless permitted [so sajdah to Adam [as] by the Angels was ordered/permitted. and when Iblis the jinn in there community did not make sajdah, he became a disbeliever, rebellious. also sajdah to Yusuf [as] by his family was permitted, in fulfillment of his prophetic dream]

my sister may Allah make you and all muslims, males and females grow stronger. i like your spirit of commitment.

So do I but she needs to take things easy. She really does make me laugh with some of her comments. I hope she will get better with time.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Sep 28, 2011
@sweetnecta,wa leikum salam sir,honestly i dnt mean to be too harsh on this matter,there are ways ladies manage hair without relaxing their hair,Allah made us Afro and he knows the reason he made us Afro,we cannever be like caucasians or asians,thats why the hair gets messed up after a while because of  the chemical we use trying to change it,Allah made something beautiful and he expect you to keep it nice and healthy not changing it,any attempt changing it,the person has denied the perfection and beauty of Allah to start with,and has not appreciates his creativity,what is good is good and what is bad is bad,so lets try to do good at all times.I was a professional hairdresser until i accepted islam and i dropped it immediately i realise attachments is haram,no point going to the salon cos men are always coming in either to cut their hair or bring their girlfriends or wives and the hairdressers bum bum gets to be mopped at everytime in the mirror,in my days even as a xtian av had countless beautiful styles tempting anyman all the way,so its not that i dnt know wassup or am taking things too conservative  Infact,all the sisters i know as far as am concerned in this city of london,their hairs are natural and they keep it beautiful and nice,and they all sticks to the verse of changing Allah's creation,even their husbands will never encourage such changes.we hold sisters circles and in one of them sisters gets pampered,by making eachothers hair in it natural states and each one goes home beautiful.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by deols(f): 6:31pm On Sep 28, 2011
tpia@:

conservative muslim ladies [at least in nigeria] dont perm their hair, as far as i know.

i dont think perming or not perming is meant to indicate spirituality per se, but it might be difficult to have natural hair if you're overseas.

for oyibos/arabs/non-blacks, its easier for them since all they have to do is use a hair clip but for the rest of us, our hair needs more attention.

braids should be ok though.

do u av an Islamic background. *just curious*

I must say here that when I was young, i thot relaxing d hair is haram. In fact, I wasnt alone cos I can remember the christian children around joined us in seeing make up as bad. This was due to one thing- Ignorance.

I av learnt later on, that Islam is all about knowledge and until otherwise proven, everything is halal. The same reason I asked uplawal for proofs.

I asked u to google what happens in case of a spinster because I have realised that many of u non-Muslims copy and paste info from the internet and then come here to use them against Muslims not forgetinng that the people who posted those stuffs there could av bn ignorant Muslims or the enemies of Islam whose main aim is to give d wrong representation of Islam.

How come it is allowed to be relaxed for a husband but not oneself.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by deols(f): 6:36pm On Sep 28, 2011
uplawal:

@tpia,Secondly,you dnt tell us what is ok,except you are one of us,and even if you are one of us,whatever you say has to go inaccordance with the words  of Allah and his last prophet(Muhammadu pbuh).

Braids is not acceptable for muslims
,only your own natural hair,no fake beauty in islam such as using bleaching cream,painting nails(except if the person has to wipe it before  ablution/prayers,fixing false nails,all types of cosmetic surgery,except if life is in danger.
Once again,am sorry i dnt mean to be rude.

i think u shld know dat braids doesnt mean the use of attachments. u can braid(plait) with ur own hair.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by deols(f): 6:38pm On Sep 28, 2011
uplawal:

Sister Deols,Allah dnt say we should not till the ground,Allah encourage farming,infact he encourages us having shelter on our heads,check the Quran as Allah permits us,as long as you dnt change the soil into something else, its fine,as av said earlier,its either you obey or you suit yourself.

As for the piercing,its not everybody that pierce,some muslims dnt pierce and some muslims too dnt circumcised,cos they believe it to be alteration of Allah's creation,cos they will argue with you with the verse that says,Allah created us perfectly,that theres no flaws in his creation,except the majority that believed they have to do the tradition of the prophet or where did you see it in the Quran that Allah says Abraham the one that starts the islamic rites did circumcised himself,as far as i know,circumcision was not part of the rites prophet Abraham did as mentioned in the Quran.

so is it wrong to follow the traditions of the prophet
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by tpia5: 7:03pm On Sep 28, 2011
deols:

do u av an Islamic background. *just curious*

i'm not muslim.

I must say here that when I was young, i thot relaxing d hair is haram. In fact, I wasnt alone cos I can remember the christian children around joined us in seeing make up as bad. This was due to one thing- Ignorance.

I av learnt later on, that Islam is all about knowledge and until otherwise proven, everything is halal. The same reason I asked uplawal for proofs.

conservationism in any religion tends to frown on what they consider synthetic aids to beauty.
Re: Is Applying Of Relaxer A Sin In Islam? by tpia5: 7:09pm On Sep 28, 2011
I asked u to google what happens in case of a spinster because I have realised that many of u non-Muslims copy and paste info from the internet and then come here to use them against Muslims

not sure who or what you're referring to here.

what did i use against muslims.

i simply googled the question is perming hair allowed in islam, or can a muslim woman perm her hair, and i was directed to a muslim forum where the topic was discussed.

i read a post there saying a woman can perm for her husband [i think it was backed up with a quranic quote, or maybe not], and i then posted that opinion here.

not sure why you and uplawal are up in arms over that.

the question has been asked many times and is all over the search engines.

not forgetinng that the people who posted those stuffs there could av bn ignorant Muslims or the enemies of Islam whose main aim is to give d wrong representation of Islam.

i wouldnt know about any of that.

all i saw was a discussion about perming hair.

How come it is allowed to be relaxed for a husband but not oneself.

i have no idea.

it might have something to do with the husband giving permission or whatever.

you dont really have to be a muslim, or religious, to dislike perming.

plenty of nigerian men dont like it, and for reasons unrelated to theology.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ogun Prophet & His Sons Convert To Islam, Cut Off Their Dreadlocks (Photos) / Dangote Sultan Adamawa Converts British Woman, Delgado To Islam (Photo) / Alhamdulillah...i Sighted The Crescent Moon (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.