Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? (1843 Views)

Seun Osewa A Bigoted Mod Have Removed My Thread Help! / Femi Fani-kayode: A Bigoted, Anti-igbo Tribalist, By Femi Aribisala / Femi Fani-kayode Is A Bigoted, Anti-igbo Tribalist By Femi Aribisala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 8:57pm On Jul 07, 2011
I would like to start by saying in any advance or first world country of the world, there is religious tolerance and those countries accept both Islam and Christian laws

Now you would hear a Nigerian saying they should change the name the name of Islamic banking

i ask to what, that is the name britain, china and other first world countries are using so why is nigeria so differnet

why can't we tolerate each other like good people according to our religions,

the Christians say " love your neighbour as yourself" so why can't they love there muslim neighbour's idea of an Islamic bank if they view him as themselves

please my christain brothers, act according to your bibles and be tolerant
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by Afam4eva(m): 8:58pm On Jul 07, 2011
Hmm, I'm speechless.
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 9:00pm On Jul 07, 2011
afam4eva:

Hmm, I'm speechless.

abi am i saying rubbish?
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 9:09pm On Jul 07, 2011
why are people angry at the name and not even the idea

the name Islamic drives them crazy

why
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by Chyz2: 9:11pm On Jul 07, 2011
alj_harem:

why are people angry at the name and not even the idea

the name Islamic drives them crazy

why

How bout separating religion entirely from the system and lets see how things go from there. I think much better. smiley
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by Afam4eva(m): 9:14pm On Jul 07, 2011
Yes it's in the name and not the system of banking. Just imagine if tomorrow some people come up and create Ogboni and eckankar bank. How will you feel. I can't associate myself with something that goes against my believe. Even if the bank is the kind that will give you 10nillion for every 1 naira you put in. Thanks but no thanks.
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by adejoro75: 9:18pm On Jul 07, 2011
They can call it Kano Bank PLC
Kaduna Bank PLC
Interest-free Bank PLC
or Abdul Fatai Bank PLC
or Sheik Magaji Bank PLC
Why would I, a non-muslim, like a bank with the name Islam Bank PLC? (seeing what Muslims have done in Nigeria and world over)
Will the Muslims patronize Catholic Bank of Nigeria PLC?

We should expect from others what we ourselves can give.
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 9:20pm On Jul 07, 2011
Chyz*:

How bout separating religion entirely from the system and lets see how things go from there. I think much better. smiley
thank you

No my brother, religion was never and would never be in the system

this is a way of life, in england, i do not see Christians protesting when even Islam is not indigeous to britian

so why are nigerian like this
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 9:22pm On Jul 07, 2011
afam4eva:

Yes it's in the name and not the system of banking. Just imagine if tomorrow some people come up and create Ogboni and eckankar bank. How will you feel. I can't associate myself with something that goes against my believe. Even if the bank is the kind that will give you 10nillion for every 1 naira you put in. Thanks but no thanks.

haba, brother we show so love and tolerance

there have never been any thing called ogboni, or Christian banking

there is an Islamic banking so why can't it be used

i believe the chinese still do there own banking, i might be wrong
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by Chyz2: 9:23pm On Jul 07, 2011
alj_harem:

thank you

No my brother, religion was never and would never be in the system

this is a way of life, in england, i do not see Christians protesting when even Islam is not indigeous to britian

so why are nigerian like this

First off, Nigeria is not england. Secondly, Islamic Banking is not a way of life in england so hold your peace. wink
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 9:25pm On Jul 07, 2011
adejoro75:

They can call it Kano Bank PLC
Kaduna Bank PLC
Interest-free Bank PLC
or Abdul Fatai Bank PLC
or Sheik Magaji Bank PLC
Why would I, a non-muslim, like a bank with the name Islam Bank PLC? (seeing what Muslims have done in Nigeria and world over)
Will the Muslims patronize Catholic Bank of Nigeria PLC?

We should expect from others what we ourselves can give.

i dont believe it is meant for Non-muslims to use by force

if u do not feel like using it, then i is a free world but if u fell like using it then by all means use it

it is a free world, normal interest banks will still be very around
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by tpia5: 9:25pm On Jul 07, 2011
there have never been any thing called ogboni, or Christian banking

i'm learning about this imaginary christian banking right here on nl.
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 9:27pm On Jul 07, 2011
Chyz*:

First off, Nigeria is not england. Secondly, Islamic Banking is not a way of life in england so hold your peace. wink

smiley

that is what i am saying exactly

Islam is was not in england but they use it and tolorate Islamic banking

not to talk of Nigeria where we have a moderate size of Muslim in it

we should be able to use our rights
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by Mariory(m): 9:28pm On Jul 07, 2011
alj_harem:

I would like to start by saying in any advance or first world country of the world, there is religious tolerance and those countries accept both Islam and Christian laws

Now you would hear a Nigerian saying they should change the name the name of Islamic banking

i ask to what, that is the name britain, china and other first world countries are using so why is nigeria so differnet

why can't we tolerate each other like good people according to our religions,

the Christians say " love your neighbour as yourself" so why can't they love there muslim neighbour's idea of an Islamic bank if they view him as themselves

please my christain brothers, act according to your bibles and be tolerant

You have failed from the start. Most advanced countries have secular laws regardless of prevailing culture.

Christians are human too. They have had enough, simple as that. For example,

- Miss world contest. . .you know what followed.
- Danish cartoons. . .you know what followed.
- Presidential elections. . .you know what followed.

I guess some Christians are fed up of being tolerant. Can't say I blame them.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 9:28pm On Jul 07, 2011
tpia@:

i'm learning about this imaginary christian banking right here on nl.

grin grin grin grin grin tpia i love the way u think, kudos wink
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by tpia5: 9:28pm On Jul 07, 2011
alj_harem:

i dont believe it is meant for Non-muslims to use by force

if u do not feel like using it, then i is a free world but if u fell like using it then by all means use it

it is a free world, normal interest banks will still be very around

is there any reason why islamic banking cant be limited to specific banks like bank of the north which i'd thought was what was being done before?

why exactly does CBN have to get involved in what's supposed to be private enterprise?

any individual with money, can open an islamic bank for anyone to go to- why is the matter being sponsored and handled by CBN?
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by Mariory(m): 9:30pm On Jul 07, 2011
tpia@:

any individual with money, can open an islamic bank for anyone to go to- why is the matter being sponsored and handled by CBN?

And there it is. That is the question.
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 9:31pm On Jul 07, 2011
Mariory:

You have failed from the start. Most advanced countries have secular laws regardless of prevailing culture.

Christians are human too. They have had enough, simple as that. For example,

- Miss world contest. . .you know what followed.
- Danish cartoons. . .you know what followed.
- Presidential elections. . .you know what followed.

I guess some Christians are fed up of being tolerant. Can't say I blame them.

in a secular country like England, i believe they still practise Islamic banking, or am i wrong?

i know Christians are human as well and i love my Christian brothers and sisters

all the atrocities u mentioned above has nothing to do with banking, moreover they are the uneducated youths
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 9:34pm On Jul 07, 2011
tpia@:

is there any reason why islamic banking cant be limited to specific banks like bank of the north which i'd thought was what was being done before?

why exactly does CBN have to get involved in what's supposed to be private enterprise?

smiley

tpia, there are southerners that are muslims as well and would want to practices this form of banking

would they have to travel to the north before the get there money out,.,. i guess not

CBN is getting involved in this to as to help the new banking system grow

a private investor can not do it because of this upraise we are already seeing

CBN and the president are the only people that have to power to make this branch of the banking sector to grow
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by tpia5: 9:39pm On Jul 07, 2011
alj_harem:

smiley

tpia, there are southerners that are muslims as well and would want to practices this form of banking

would they have to travel to the north before the get there money out,.,. i guess not

CBN is getting involved in this to as to help the new banking system grow

a private investor can not do it because of this upraise we are already seeing

CBN and the president are the only people that have to power to make this branch of the banking sector to grow

bank of the north has branches all over the south.

likewise any privately funded bank is free to have branches wherever they want to, for muslims who prefer sharia banking.

CBN means central bank of nigeria and has no business introducing religion into public secular issues like banking.

is soludo's salary not drawn from the fed govt coffers?
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 9:42pm On Jul 07, 2011
tpia@:

bank of the north has branches all over the south.

likewise any privately funded bank is free to have branches wherever they want to, for muslims who prefer sharia banking.

i am not too sure

but if they do then good and those are the banks Islamic system can be applied to
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by tpia5: 9:43pm On Jul 07, 2011
^^yes, bank of the north is very much present in the south.
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 9:45pm On Jul 07, 2011
tpia@:

^^yes, bank of the north is very much present in the south.

ok then it mean the Islamic banking can then be applied there or what do u think

i hope people are not looking at it as a northern affire but as a National affire smiley
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by Mariory(m): 9:46pm On Jul 07, 2011
alj_harem:

in a secular country like England, i believe they still practise Islamic banking, or am i wrong?

i know Christians are human as well and i love my Christian brothers and sisters

all the atrocities u mentioned above has nothing to do with banking, moreover they are the uneducated youths

- There are private banks that do this so called Islamic banking just as there are other types of banks.

- Yes those atrocities have nothing to do with banking but everything to do with perception.
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 9:50pm On Jul 07, 2011
Mariory:

- There are private banks that do this so called Islamic banking just as there are other types of banks.

- Yes those atrocities have nothing to do with banking but everything to do with perception.

@ your first point, i am not sure but for now i agree smiley

secondly, yes it has to do with preception but if u are in my shoes, u would see what i am seeing in the north

the killings are done by illerates and not people or well mannered people

remember a post here on nairaland when a northerner almost got killed trying to save a southerner
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by tpia5: 9:50pm On Jul 07, 2011
alj_harem:

ok then it mean the Islamic banking can then be applied there or what do u think

i hope people are not looking at it as a northern affire but as a National affire smiley

the whole point is how can it be a national affair when half of nigeria is not muslim?

i dont think you get the main issue.
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 9:55pm On Jul 07, 2011
tpia@:

the whole point is how can it be a national affair when half of nigeria is not muslim?

i dont think you get the main issue.

i think it is a muslim issue here

ok Britain is not a muslim country and certainly not half of the country are muslims but it is still practice

so i want to know if the same can not be done for nigeria being a 50 50 country
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by tpia5: 9:57pm On Jul 07, 2011
britain's economy isnt in the best shape at the moment, so is that actually a good example.

no, the same shouldnt be done for nigeria because there's too much bloodshed there and tensions are always high.

britain is referred to as the islamic capital of the west anyway, so not surprising if their banks practice islamic banking.
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by Mariory(m): 9:57pm On Jul 07, 2011
alj_harem:

ok Britain is not a muslim country and certainly not half of the country are muslims but it is still practice

You have posted this phrse now a few times. What exactly do you mean?
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 07, 2011
Muslims world wide are quick to call people bigots when they are being critical of Islam!!!

Muslims who converted to christianity are being killed in Islamic states,   A court in Iran just overturned the death sentence handed to a pastor who convereted to Christianity,

Can you practice what you preach? Xtians. Can you preach what you practice? Muslims!!!!

Muslim nations are not tolerant at all yet they go to Christian/atheist majority states and call them bigots etc, !!!

Female Core mutilation is not legal but the moment they don't allow these "moderate Muslims" to do such in Europe/North America, We all know what we will hear,

Muslims have now resort to propaganda and lies to further their agenda!1! So we can only be peaceful when there is total annihilation of other religions and cultures not Islamic?

When a Muslim asks for Tolerance while calling me a bigot, i tell HIM/HER practice what you preach,

In Surat Al nisa: You are allowed to beat your wife but not infront of the Children in an age where the world is taking domestic violence seriously? And we are suppose to tolerate the religion that preaches such? Are you all nuts

MovinG ON!!
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 10:00pm On Jul 07, 2011
tpia@:

britain's economy isnt in the best shape at the moment, so is that actually a good example.

no, the same shouldnt be done for nigeria because there's too much bloodshed there and tensions are always high.

britain is referred to as the islamic capital of the west anyway, so not surprising if their banks practice islamic banking.

so why can't Nigeria be the Christian and Islamic capital of nigeria

the blood tension goes both ways, have u heard of

the kaduna crisis

jos crisis

where thousands of muslims were killed all in the name of Christians
Re: Is Nigeria A Bigoted Country ? by aljharem3: 10:01pm On Jul 07, 2011
Mariory:

You have posted this phrse now a few times. What exactly do you mean?

i mean if our COLONIAL MASTERS CAN PRACTISE IT WHY CAN'T WE DO THE SAME EVEN MORE SO WE HAVE A HIGH % OF MUSLIMS IN NIGERIA

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aliyu Babangida, Aregbesola disagree on creation of Northern Affairs ministry / Fashola Inspects LAGBUS' New Site, Oshodi New Market. (pics) / Shekau Escapes As Faulty Ammunition Stalls Military Operation In Sambisa …boko H

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.