Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,334 members, 7,780,873 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:34 AM

Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? (22514 Views)

Speaking Right In A Wrong World / Help Make A Career Decision - Urgent!!! / What Decision You Made That Made Or Marred Your Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by eliok(m): 4:02pm On Apr 20, 2022
ewa20buredi100:
Hi everyone,
I have been a Chemistry and Mathematics teacher for years now.

Then I met a friend who is a retired Government officer. He took interest in my kind of person and promised to link me up to opportunities that are better than teaching.

He called me yesterday and I went to see him. He presented two job opportunities before me;
1. A shopping mall manager (at Ring road in Benin city)
OR
2. As an assistant manager with a Private firm that supplies passport booklets to Immigration officers. I will be working directly from NIS Headquarter.

He gave me a week to make up my mind and choose an option

Please my questions are;
1. Will it be wise to dump years of teaching for these new opportunities?

2. Are the opportunities viable and worth the transition?
Which of the two options should I go for if I were to choose?
And what benefits does one stand to gain?

Thank you
both jobs are good. However the immigration own might be less stressful and better.

While the manager own gives you more physical contact with people.

PS. It's time to run from teaching. I did and never regret it. It's time bro

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Lemmy123(m): 4:02pm On Apr 20, 2022
In my opinion, the Assistant Manager position seem like a better option if your reason for changing jobs is pay... You get tips here and there, and you also meet people who are capable of changing your life story forever. Just have a great personality, put on some smile most times, be friendly, and that's it

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by seyz91(m): 4:02pm On Apr 20, 2022
cheesy
KiNg0G:
And people dey find job, one self them nor see...this na person when get job already....still dey find am extra new 2jobs.

What a corrupt country, meanwhile our millions of graduate don't have none!
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Pnorh(f): 4:03pm On Apr 20, 2022
See me smiling sheepishly , at the sight of Immigration job,.. well, Opportunity comes but once bro, you can be working there,... make good money and build a private school if you really value education.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Heroicvic(m): 4:03pm On Apr 20, 2022
You go farm? grin
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by mandy4s: 4:05pm On Apr 20, 2022
ewa20buredi100:
Hi everyone,

Then I met a friend who is a retired Government officer. He took interest in my kind of person and promised to link me up to opportunities that are better than teaching.

He called me yesterday and I went to see him. He presented two job opportunities before me;
OR
2. As an assistant manager with a Private firm that supplies passport booklets to Immigration officers. I will be working directly from NIS Headquarter.

Please my questions are;

Thank you

Lol. Are you really contemplating keep a teaching job? Not even a lecturing job at a higher institution o? Do you have any idea what lengths Nigerians wanting to travel out go to get passports? Working from the NIS headquarters with all the added benefits of knowing people who may open more doors to you and you are still holding on to dy/dx.

lmao you dey calculate abi? calculus ni calculation ko

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Omotosho1090905(m): 4:06pm On Apr 20, 2022
Chase the dream and not the money
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by sexyto(m): 4:06pm On Apr 20, 2022
kwaso2:
Firstly, Thank God for the helper. If the teaching is not a government owned school, go for the immigration related offer, you will have all the right prospects and exposuhres
I concur with this person's view, if the proximity is not a problem.

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by zedegit: 4:08pm On Apr 20, 2022
ewa20buredi100:
Hi everyone,

OR

Please my questions are;

Thank you

Choose number 2

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by QueTeddy: 4:08pm On Apr 20, 2022
Sharonnyl:
I think the first question you should ask yourself is " why do I want a new job?"

Is it because of money?

Or just to get a whole new experience (people do this). Especially since you said you've been teaching for a while.

Do you want the job because of the prestige that comes with it?

If you can sincerely ask yourself why you want the new job, your answer will pop up. Nobody will bear the consequences for you or enjoy the benefits with you. So it's your decision to make. You can only be guided

This is right and also wrong in a way.

Right In the sense of it is only logical you follow this train of thought but wrong as you live in a place the value of those impacting knowledge is trival.

Others things you should also put into consideration, how could I upscale from where I am or which of the jobs provides enough security and could also help me upscale?

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by NaijaCoverBlog(m): 4:09pm On Apr 20, 2022
Seek for Wisdom of God Almighty
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by cavreek: 4:09pm On Apr 20, 2022
Transition is quite difficult especially when you've being used to doing something for long
Well see that as a new challenge with the advantage of more money
As for which job to choose from, let your personality help you and if you are good at supervising and managing people you know which to go for

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Thanos5555: 4:09pm On Apr 20, 2022
Johnheir2:
First discover yourself and get a dream.
Money is not everything but happiness/joy in whatever we do.
bloody motivational scammer.....

oya go and work for free now.

since money dosent matter

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by deepwater(f): 4:09pm On Apr 20, 2022
ewa20buredi100:
Hi everyone,

OR

Please my questions are;

Thank you

go for any of the 2 jobs.
but i prefer number 1 - shopping mall manager because government can change and that number 2 private firm can loose that contract.
by all means, leave that teaching job asap!
if for any reason you get emoloyed into option 1 or 2 and u den have issues on the job/or loose the job u can easily glide back to teaching considering the fact that u have good years of experience in it already. so teaching becomes a safe net for you career progression.

but if you get stuck with teaching, then u only have one option (teaching) until another help comes u way. Truth is that the stars muct align for someone to recommend u for a job in Nigeria (2 jobs at that!!!). Such opportunity comes alomost once in a life time.

Take option 1 or 2 and move ahead into your horizon, u would make new contacts and have refreshed insight of other sides of the job market outside teaching.....

be strong, be wise, take good risk son!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Genea(f): 4:09pm On Apr 20, 2022
ewa20buredi100:
Hi everyone,

OR

Please my questions are;

Thank you
Please pick option 2. You have better career prospect and NIS relationship is cool. Forget that your teaching job that hasn’t elevated you abeg

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by deepwater(f): 4:11pm On Apr 20, 2022
Johnheir2:
[b]Money is not everything [/b]but happiness/joy in whatever we do.

you must make money first before u are valid to make the bolded statement!
there is no joy/peace/hapiness in poverty....
dont be deceived

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by id4sho(m): 4:13pm On Apr 20, 2022
ewa20buredi100:
Hi everyone,

OR

Please my questions are;

Thank you
Go for the IMMIGRATION servicing company, DON'T involve in passport racketeering.

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by oshaosha2014(m): 4:13pm On Apr 20, 2022
Don't hold back.
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Paradigms: 4:14pm On Apr 20, 2022
What is the salary structure for both?
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by phemmyfour: 4:14pm On Apr 20, 2022
ewa20buredi100:
Hi everyone,

OR

Please my questions are;

Thank you
Take the one with job security. The second offer doesn't look like a job that will stand the test of time

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Osaremwantaelvi(m): 4:15pm On Apr 20, 2022
Make am and learn your lessons
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Cashio(m): 4:15pm On Apr 20, 2022
Johnheir2:
Money is not everything but happiness/joy in whatever we do.
you will discover that money is happiness when your loved one lies on a sick bed dieing and you can't do anything about it because you have no money...that is when you'll understand that depression is real.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Majesty33(m): 4:15pm On Apr 20, 2022
Omo run from teaching ooo and u will never regret it. no matter how u nourish yourself with good diet, u will emaciate and look old than your age. Thats one disadvantage of that job. Weigh your options and leave and u will never regret it. I thought for five years, so i am a witness.

1 Like

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Apr 20, 2022
Thank God you know....

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Testimony1988(m): 4:16pm On Apr 20, 2022
Go for the latter, you will have more opportunities there.
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by iwaeda: 4:17pm On Apr 20, 2022
ewa20buredi100:
Hi everyone,

OR

Please my questions are;

Thank you

What are the terms, must you join any society, hope you know what I mean. NIS seems Prospective angry angry angry grin
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by chatinent: 4:17pm On Apr 20, 2022
You no even list the benefits and motivation en tell you
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Todaynews2020: 4:18pm On Apr 20, 2022
The shopping mall manager you should choose since the other options is all about supplying to government agency, who knows if there is a change of government the contract might be terminated and given to another firm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by Dogi1(m): 4:18pm On Apr 20, 2022
Too many valid questions to answer.

But its your Teaching Job pensionable?
Re: Am I About To Take A Wrong Decision? by GloriousGbola: 4:19pm On Apr 20, 2022
The need for passport booklets will never end. The only thing that will break that contract is if the owner dies. If you pay attention and build connections you can branch out and start supplying booklets yourself. As long as everyone has been settled, government contract is an infinite source of money.

Unless you can move to one of those top tier private schools, you will always be hungry as a teacher in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Job Is Ruining My Family / My Experience Working For A Scammer. By Tosyne2much / Can You Work In A Place Where You Submit Your Phone Everyday?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.