Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:49 AM

Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? (15677 Views)

61-Year-Old Woman Gives Birth To Triplets After 40 Years In Marriage. Photos / "Women Want Equality Only When It Suits Them" - Man Says / How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by tctrills: 1:24pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:
I observed that the woman for whatever reasons always play the underdog in marriage. She is often regarded as a 'helper' playing almost a docile role in decision-making in the home.

Most people use religious precepts to relegate the rights of a woman to the background: as being the house-keeper and 'child-bearer'. But in modern times, many women play the role of 'provider' in the home, therefore forcing the man to also assist with household chores.

In modern times, Even in civilised climes, women now seek to either being independent parents or share same authority as the man in the home. But where the man does not feel comfortably with this, the result is divorce. I want to assume that this is the major cause of domestic violence in majority of homes.

Most women feel more comfortable being single parents than to submit to the egocentric excesses of the male folk.

What is your stand on this issue. I personally speak as a male.
For marriage to work, there must be distribution of roles. I guess you are single hence you dont know this.
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by BigBashiru: 1:25pm On Apr 23, 2022
tollyboy5:

I'm not also a fan of marriage. grin I don't want submission.
What I want is respect is reciprocal. That's how me and my elder sis grew up.
I'm not going to feed any lazy ass woman.

Many ladies are broke with Ego at the same time

Preach it loud and clear. I don't want any parasite... the relationship must be symbiotic

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by dalass(f): 1:26pm On Apr 23, 2022
Nyascobar1414:
A man is superior compared to a woman...

Its bitter though...

Superior in what way?

This society is damned already if the males in it don't realize that continuous repression and harassment of the women is killing themselves!

In civilized world, women are President, Queen and Prime minister and things are working beautifully...

But our dear barbaric cavemen will prefer to be under a male who knows not his left from his right simply due to mischief of 'man is superior'..... Probably to an ape! undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Elchechereche4e: 1:27pm On Apr 23, 2022
odinson1:
Women Basically want 3 things
1. the Power and Authority of a man
2. The Privileges of Being a Woman
3. The Accountability of A child.

I pity those ignorant, naive men who are fighting for Equality for women. Those idiots don't realize that they are being cheated,the woman you are fighting for,is trying to overthrow your power. She will expect you to man up and fight for her,or Provide when times are hard. But when times are good,they will drag equality with you. Take the Russian/Ukraine war as a case study. The women are allowed to leave,but the men are mandated to stay. Not a single feminist came out to say women were being Relegated (because they are weak,which is true).
You know why? It is because times are hard,it is war,so they don't have the luxury to be fighting for equality now.
So on point...Inna Schevchenko and the topless femen (feminist) movement are from Ukraine.they were no where to be found

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by BigBashiru: 1:28pm On Apr 23, 2022
koolaid87:
I love gender equality and so should all Men out there.

Men have been dealing with a lot of responsibilities from birth.

Thanks to the feminist movement because a lot of those loads will be shared equally.

Dumb people want equality and when you ask what they're bringing to the table, they get annoyed lol

My own is my wife must be bringing significant amounts of money to run the house with..... I ain't accepting no liability

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by BigBashiru: 1:29pm On Apr 23, 2022
dalass:

Superior in what way?

This society is damned already if the males in it don't realize that continuous repression and harassment of the women is killing themselves!

In civilized world, women are President, Queen and Prime minister and things are working beautifully...

But our dear barbaric cavemen will prefer to be under a male who knows not his left from his right simply due to mischief of 'man is superior'..... Probably to an ape! undecided

I agree with ur viewppint. Men also excuse their crimes under "Men are superior" mentality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by aklion: 1:29pm On Apr 23, 2022
How can you be equal to a man in marriage for heaven sake. I swear down I hate this topic eh. Bible talk am. Man the head not man and woman equal. Woman submit and man love your wife. Woman being equality my foot. Even if u get money pass the man. Omo marriage don too scatter because of this nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:32pm On Apr 23, 2022
themanderon:
So because westerners decided to be foolish we must be forced to join them in their foolishness? No wonder we have so much confusion in the world today. Nature made man and woman to fulfill specific functions and to change that is to bring confusion. If a woman hits you its okay but if a man retaliates they say Ahh!!! don't you know she is a woman and a weaker vessel. The hypocrisy sickens to the heavens. A male is a male and a female a female. Even in the wild the males are in charge in almost all species of animals. Gorillas, Lions etc. That is the way nature meant it to be. The confusion we have in the western world where the female folks have been given so much power while the men have been virtually emasculated is as a result of changing the natural order of how things were meant to be.

You denigrate the Western world, yet your fellow citizens can't stop lining up at their embassies and you come from a dystopian shithole like Nigeria. To live in the US, Sweden or Switzerland or to live in Iran, Nigeria or Somalia. What a tough choice.

Oh, and in nature, many animal societies are matriarchal in nature, ruled by females: elephants, killer whales, dolphins and many whale species, hyenas, our closest animal relations, bonobos etc.
I don't even understand what you mean by "female folks have been given so much power" in the West. Who do you think gave you the right to "give" anyone power? And which Western men have been emasculated? Is that why they have the world's most powerful militaries (with many women serving in and leading those militaries". It's hard to know where to start from to address you barbarians.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Apr 23, 2022
dalass:

Superior in what way?

Last time I checked...ladies have rights to do anything they want in this modern age so I dont know why you're crying...if you want to contest for presidency today you can do so
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by stagger: 1:39pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:
I observed that the woman for whatever reasons always play the underdog in marriage. She is often regarded as a 'helper' playing almost a docile role in decision-making in the home.

Most people use religious precepts to relegate the rights of a woman to the background: as being the house-keeper and 'child-bearer'. But in modern times, many women play the role of 'provider' in the home, therefore forcing the man to also assist with household chores.

In modern times, Even in civilized climes, women now seek to either being independent parents or share same authority as the man in the home. But where the man does not feel comfortably with this, the result is divorce. I want to assume that this is the major cause of domestic violence in majority of homes.

Most women feel more comfortable being single parents than to submit to the egocentric excesses of the male folk.

There is nothing like Gender equality in marriage. What we are supposed to have as created by God in marriage is GENDER COMPLEMENTATION. My wife's strengths are to cover my weaknesses and my strengths cover her weaknesses. That is what makes us a solid unit which according to the bible, can put 10,000 to flight where one person can only put 1000 to flight.

Anyone preaching gender equality in marriage is just a modern-day mumu.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by BigBashiru: 1:41pm On Apr 23, 2022
aklion:
How can you be equal to a man in marriage for heaven sake. I swear down I hate this topic eh. Bible talk am. Man the head not man and woman equal. Woman submit and man love your wife. Woman being equality my foot. Even if u get money pass the man. Omo marriage don too scatter because of this nonsense.

Leave the bible out of it and use your common sense first and foremost then apply bible after wards. Don't follow the bible blindly.... spirituality and logic are in sync and not opposite
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Cheq40: 1:42pm On Apr 23, 2022
if u know u know
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by BigBashiru: 1:43pm On Apr 23, 2022
stagger:

There is nothing like Gender equality in marriage. What we are supposed to have as created by God in marriage is GENDER COMPLEMENTATION. [b]My wife's strengths are to cover my weaknesses and my strengths cover her weaknesses. [/b]That is what makes us a solid unit which according to the bible, can put 10,000 to flight where one person can only put 1000 to flight.

Anyone preaching gender equality in marriage is just a modern-day mumu.

@bolded is idealistic Christian nonsense. The truth is women marry for security once there's no monetary or psychological security, she becomes problematic....
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Holluwhakemmy(f): 1:44pm On Apr 23, 2022
odinson1:

I pity those ignorant, naive men who are fighting for Equality for women. Those idiots don't realize that they are being cheated,the woman you are fighting for,is trying to overthrow your power. She will expect you to man up and fight for her,or Provide when times are hard. But when times are good,they will drag equality with you. Take the Russian/Ukraine war as a case study. The women are allowed to leave,but the men are mandated to stay. Not a single feminist came out to say women were being Relegated (because they are weak,which is true).
You know why? It is because times are hard,it is war,so they don't have the luxury to be fighting for equality now.
calm down, women rule the world

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Holluwhakemmy(f): 1:45pm On Apr 23, 2022
killmods:
No submission No marriage
No love No Respect.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by adenlemmanuel: 1:49pm On Apr 23, 2022
There can't be two Captains in a SHIP, same for every RelationSHIP
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Winters23: 1:49pm On Apr 23, 2022
[s]
Biglittlelois:

You are daft, and this I tell you for free.
[/s]
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by AyomideOG01: 1:56pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:
I laugh at you in vernacular!

I'm a man in his late 50s and a retired Public Servant.

I speak without prejudice to sex.

Madam abeg carry this equal opportunity campaign go Ukraine where ur fellow equal right feminist colleagues are loosing consciousness at the sound of a bullet. No be only equal rights.
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Blackify: 1:57pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:

In modern times, Even in civilised climes, women now seek to either being independent parents or share same authority as the man in the home. But where the man does not feel comfortably with this, the result is divorce. I want to assume that this is the major cause of domestic violence in majority of homes.

Good day, everyone...

My name is Ehis "Farastein" Mokwenye, and my entry pitch is currently amongst the quarter finalists for @original_talkutalku creative grant. My entry is for my debut historical fiction novel "Tales of Jideofor". The book is based on the transatlantic slave trade of the 18th century, and follows the life of Jideofor from Illah in Western Igbo lands to Jamaica. It is a story of love, dreams, destiny and death. To vote, just open up the Instagram link below and like my video: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcpZWjFFa1b/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thank you very much for your help in retelling Afrikan culture in a new and revelatory light.
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by richkal(m): 1:57pm On Apr 23, 2022
See how OP went back into hidden. He can't stand first few comments under his post. Imagine someone as old as OP saying gender inequality is the reason we have domestic violence. The man has nothing on his upstairs.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by AyomideOG01: 1:58pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:
I'm a male- an experienced one at that! You boys will not understand the secret of a lasting relationship.

You are obviously a single mother looking for young ladies to deceive

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Apr 23, 2022
Holluwhakemmy:
No love No Respect.
Agreed

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Apr 23, 2022
dalass:

Whatever happened to love ? grin
With love comes respect and with all that naturally submission follows. So u see they all go together. You can't claim u love and respect me without being submissive. U dey decieve urself be that.
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by loswhite(m): 2:03pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:

You speak as a female oga. What is Gender Equality?
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Papichulostunne(m): 2:11pm On Apr 23, 2022
Raspberries:
I'm not a fan of marriage... I'm definitely not submissive... undecided

1. How old are you please..

2. What did your dad do to your mum that made you lose interest in marriage?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by staga: 2:15pm On Apr 23, 2022
BigBashiru:

@bolded is idealistic Christian nonsense. The truth is women marry for security once there's no monetary or psychological security, she becomes problematic....

How long have you been married? I have been in it more than 2 decades. Maybe your own wife married you for monetary gains. Mine did not. So stay clear of my pathway and don't use stupid words to reply me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by alexconddy072(m): 2:18pm On Apr 23, 2022
Any woman who believes she is equal in authority with her husband is actually challenging God. I will like the Op to read what God says in Genesis chapter 3 verse 16. I rest my case, but you may continue with your advocacy.
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by BigBashiru: 2:20pm On Apr 23, 2022
staga:

How long have you been married? I have been in it more than 2 decades. Maybe your own wife married you for monetary gains. Mine did not. So stay clear of my pathway and don't use stupid words to reply me.

You are a bastion of stupidity. Let your money run dry and see if she won't start complaining.... as I said even if the security u offer her isn't financial it could be psychological..... they aren't loyal and "wife" is an idealistic judeo Christian construct. Foolish man.

Portiphars wife wasn't loyal and the nature of girls hasn't changed.
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by dalass(f): 2:20pm On Apr 23, 2022
killmods:

With love comes respect and with all that naturally submission follows. So u see they all go together. You can't claim u love and respect me without being submissive. U dey decieve urself be that.

Respect is actually reciprocal.

The Queen of England was someone's wife and he couldn't claim superiority to her. Yet I know she respected him and he gave her due respect as Queen.... In short, women are given their due respect In the western world which makes their world amazing....

All these subjugation love in Naija, submit while the man has his way over everything as of he married a braindead person is killing the society

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by BigBashiru: 2:21pm On Apr 23, 2022
alexconddy072:
Any woman who believes she is equal in authority with her husband is actually challenging God. I will like the Op to read what God says in Genesis chapter 3 verse 16. I rest my case, but you may continue with your advocacy.

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by BigBashiru: 2:30pm On Apr 23, 2022
odinson1:

About point 2, privileges come with responsibilities.... what do i get in return for providing as a husband?? They used to be youth and virginity but they have been taken away from the equation.

I cannot be providing for a used up retired olosho that has been used by various men prior to marriage....that's the problem.... this means the girls are eating their cake (hoeing around b4 marriage) and having it (marrying a rich man that provides)....
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by gozzy1988(m): 2:37pm On Apr 23, 2022
O wrong!, There can never be two equal share holders in marriage.
This life no hard na only people de make am hard. In the olden days all this shit doesnt happen.
Gee64:
That a woman shares in decision-making doesn't make her the boss. Marriage is not an organisation. It is a union where both parties should be equal shareholders. Marriage is the only human institution where you have two heads giving moral instructions to their offspring and managing the affairs of the family on equal terms. That way, a harmonious relationship will be established.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Economy: Nigerians No Longer Accommodate Relatives As Cost Of Living Soars / Father Tortures Daughter For Being A 'Witch' / How Do We Reduce The Rate Of Prostitution In Nigeria Universities?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.