Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? (34468 Views)

Man Lost His Properties 2 Years After His Nigeria Wife Joined Him In Uk(vid,pix) / My Dad's Friend Willed 90% Of His Properties To His Daughters And Not His Son / Is It A Wise Idea To Sue My Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by nextstep(m): 5:02pm On Apr 23, 2022
You cannot sue a person for selling what is theirs. Technically those lands are not your inheritance, because he has not bequeathed them to you (yet). Granted, your father does not want to pass on his inheritance to his children, but it is not a crime nor a breach of contract.

The time, energy and expense involved in suing for whatever's left can be used more productively.
Afterall, your ancestors that hustled to found the town, they did't inherit those lands... they worked hard to obtain it back in the day, based on the standards at the time.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Ogungbl: 5:04pm On Apr 23, 2022
It is better you take it easy because you don't know the man's mind.

You were told he is your father, may be he is not

1 Like

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by tctrills: 5:04pm On Apr 23, 2022
yanabasee:
Sue his azz.......

This is how some parents strike in poverty into their family....

Stop listening to these people... get a good council and seek legal address and know how to play it....

Highest, he should will some of the properties to you and your siblings and sell the rest.....
You get money to waste oh
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Mrkcee(m): 5:05pm On Apr 23, 2022
ETHICALLYrlght:

...If you believe in curses don't try this. I do not believe in them grin
My learned comrade, u no get joy o. grin
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by eldoradoxx: 5:07pm On Apr 23, 2022
Your father does not have the right to sell family property without the approval of the principal members of the family. All the ones be has sold already can be recovered. Brief your lawyer, he knows just what to do.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by McTobe(m): 5:07pm On Apr 23, 2022
What’s that. Do your thing, overlook him. Why not hustle for yours
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Futuragetty: 5:08pm On Apr 23, 2022
It's not your inheritance. I was passed to him and if he wishes, the reminder will be passed to you and your siblings.

See what you'll do: forget he has any property.
I believe you're still young or prolly in school— Focus in your education like your life depends on it.

1 Like

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Op80: 5:08pm On Apr 23, 2022
Are you mad or something? Sue him for selling his own hard earned properties? No go acquire your own. The only way I will you is if he also inherited such properties. anything contrary, get out!
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Apr 23, 2022
GooodHardDick:
OP, are you sure you're okay? grin

You wan sue person on top his own property?
Alaye, remove eyes for that property, they ain't yours. Hustle tight, make money and buy Your Own properties.

A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children, but a sinner’s wealth is stored up for the righteous.

Pro. 22 vs13

1 Like

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Map1(m): 5:09pm On Apr 23, 2022
ETHICALLYrlght:
You can't sue someone for his property. The case will be struck out for no cause of action.

Your father owns valid titles to the real properties through first settlement. Put differently, he bought the plots of land from nobody but inherited it customarily as a descendant of those who settled there first.

I presume based on the preceding paragraph that the land documents are not registered at the land registry of your state because from experience the first document descendants of first settlers prepare regarding their land is usually a deed of gift, deed of lease, deed of assignment or power of attorney depending on the circumstances.

My advice is that you should get very close to your father this period. Let everyone believe you are his favourite son. Show him how to enjoy the internet with a smartphone. Encourage him to eat wheat instead of Garri or Akpu or Amala etc.... You know all those things his mates like grin

During this period, learn his signature, prepare a deed of gift and get your close allies including your sister as witnesses. It's even better if you can make him sign the paper himself through misrepresentation (This is a special course I can tutor you on).
Register the deed of gift at the appropriate registry and pay the required dues to the government registry. To be more smooth get registered surveyors to survey the land and register the survey plans with the government in your name.

You have all commercial banks need to grant you a loan. When you've successfully mortgaged the properties, use that money to do something good for yourself.
BENEFITS
1. Your father will not be able to sell a land you mortgaged to the bank. The bank will take him to court and deed of gift you presented to the bank will be a superior title.
2. The bank will not own the land as long as you invested the loan wisely and follow the repayment plan honestly.
3. After the expiration of each mortgage, begin new mortgages to further expand your investments. But ensure you always repay your loan.
4. Your father will pass on while the case lingers in the court. I trust NIGERIAN courts (15 years no judgment just adjournments)
5. When he passes on, end all mortgages and keep the land if you wish.
DISADVANTAGES
If you believe in curses don't try this. I do not believe in them grin
I doff my Hat
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Ranameer: 5:09pm On Apr 23, 2022
Why not look for the papers/ documents of the property & steel them. Simple
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Think9ja(m): 5:10pm On Apr 23, 2022
This life truly is not balanced.
Your dad is busy selling his ancestral lands, my dad on the other hand is fighting with his life to reclaim all the lands his sister and his uncle Sold when he was far away.

He once said we should allow him to die if selling his ancestral land will be the only means to raise money for his hospital bill in the event of health challenges.

OP, if you were to come from my village, my father will give you all the support you need to fight your dad.

My dad is one of those people that believe that once you lose your ancestral lands, you automatically lose your identity.

Do everything legally possible to make sure your ancestral land is not sold all. Let your children have something to boast of.

I wish you all the best.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by blackjack21(m): 5:10pm On Apr 23, 2022
ETHICALLYrlght:
You can't sue someone for his property. The case will be struck out for no cause of action.

Your father owns valid titles to the real properties through first settlement. Put differently, he bought the plots of land from nobody but inherited it customarily as a descendant of those who settled there first.

I presume based on the preceding paragraph that the land documents are not registered at the land registry of your state because from experience the first document descendants of first settlers prepare regarding their land is usually a deed of gift, deed of lease, deed of assignment or power of attorney depending on the circumstances.

My advice is that you should get very close to your father this period. Let everyone believe you are his favourite son. Show him how to enjoy the internet with a smartphone. Encourage him to eat wheat instead of Garri or Akpu or Amala etc.... You know all those things his mates like grin

During this period, learn his signature, prepare a deed of gift and get your close allies including your sister as witnesses. It's even better if you can make him sign the paper himself through misrepresentation (This is a special course I can tutor you on).
Register the deed of gift at the appropriate registry and pay the required dues to the government registry. To be more smooth get registered surveyors to survey the land and register the survey plans with the government in your name.

You have all commercial banks need to grant you a loan. When you've successfully mortgaged the properties, use that money to do something good for yourself.
BENEFITS
1. Your father will not be able to sell a land you mortgaged to the bank. The bank will take him to court and deed of gift you presented to the bank will be a superior title.
2. The bank will not own the land as long as you invested the loan wisely and follow the repayment plan honestly.
3. After the expiration of each mortgage, begin new mortgages to further expand your investments. But ensure you always repay your loan.
4. Your father will pass on while the case lingers in the court. I trust NIGERIAN courts (15 years no judgment just adjournments)
DISADVANTAGES

Clever bastardy! I will mention you anytime I get in a fix. cheesy
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Justiceleague1: 5:10pm On Apr 23, 2022
Born2winKingOG:
I Know how odd this might sound, with alot of people trooping in to insult me with all sorts of names calling, like I should go and hustle for my own and stop having entitlement mindset on someone's else's property..but you see..I will never relent..am here for those who have logical advise to give to me...so your insults is for yourself and you alone.

My father has been selling his landed properties since 2006, since I was still a little boy.. my fore fathers were among those founders who discovered our town...so huge landed estates were passed down to our lineage...up to this moment my uncle's and aunts have their own share of land intacts... but my dad has almost sold All his own.

*He sold to marry a new wife in 2009

*He sold to develop a small plot in 2011

*he sold to collect a chieftaincy title in 2015

and many combined little selling he's been doing, I had no ideal of

fast forward to 7years later he's left with little plots and some he took from loan defaulters, just this morning I got a call from my elder sister that my dad is about selling the little plot left... I asked to do what, she said she doesn't know yet. As at now am really angry hence me asking if there's anything we the children can do to stop my dad from selling the little plots left even though it's his.. he's the owner, don't we have a say? isn't there any legal law that can stop him.

A friend of mine he's Still enjoying wealth his grand Father left for his father and his father to him, all he did was just to renovate them and dude is packing more than a millionaire yearly from those estate. why would mine be different. Davido did well because his father's a big man who gave him a starting point, same with jowi zaza that guy can never go broke because of his father...

note: I don't think he's trying to wicked us, I know he won't sell all.. but at least the one he had sold his more than the one left... and it won't be enough to share to my siblings and I.... if he leaves this world today... why would he still be selling more. ( am not praying for him to die or anything...but life is common sense) is not a bad thing if a parent gives his children a starting point like his father did.

Besides it doesn't make sense for me to be looking for land to buy when my family is known as one of the owners of the town...my cousin's are even talking behind our back.

legal advice needed please
Two options,call all your siblings and meet him....
Or whenever he wanna sell,arrange in secret to be the buyer.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by MadamExcellency: 5:11pm On Apr 23, 2022
You are a true son of the devil himself.

ETHICALLYrlght:

BENEFITS
DISADVANTAGES
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by nedekid: 5:11pm On Apr 23, 2022
ETHICALLYrlght:

BENEFITS
DISADVANTAGES
Seems you be lawyer.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by TenQ: 5:12pm On Apr 23, 2022
Born2winKingOG:
I Know how odd this might sound, with alot of people trooping in to insult me with all sorts of names calling, like I should go and hustle for my own and stop having entitlement mindset on someone's else's property..but you see..I will never relent..am here for those who have logical advise to give to me...so your insults is for yourself and you alone.

My father has been selling his landed properties since 2006, since I was still a little boy.. my fore fathers were among those founders who discovered our town...so huge landed estates were passed down to our lineage...up to this moment my uncle's and aunts have their own share of land intacts... but my dad has almost sold All his own.

fast forward to 7years later he's left with little plots and some he took from loan defaulters, just this morning I got a call from my elder sister that my dad is about selling the little plot left... I asked to do what, she said she doesn't know yet. As at now am really angry hence me asking if there's anything we the children can do to stop my dad from selling the little plots left even though it's his.. he's the owner, don't we have a say? isn't there any legal law that can stop him.

A friend of mine he's Still enjoying wealth his grand Father left for his father and his father to him, all he did was just to renovate them and dude is packing more than a millionaire yearly from those estate. why would mine be different. Davido did well because his father's a big man who gave him a starting point, same with jowi zaza that guy can never go broke because of his father...

note: I don't think he's trying to wicked us, I know he won't sell all.. but at least the one he had sold his more than the one left... and it won't be enough to share to my siblings and I.... if he leaves this world today... why would he still be selling more. ( am not praying for him to die or anything...but life is common sense) is not a bad thing if a parent gives his children a starting point like his father did.

Besides it doesn't make sense for me to be looking for land to buy when my family is known as one of the owners of the town...my cousin's are even talking behind our back.

Your father has every right under the law over his own properties. Until he legally wills the properties to you, bro, you have NOTHING!
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Sunnydoo: 5:13pm On Apr 23, 2022
Many things makes normal parents sells their properties.

1. When their children becomes disobedient to obeying their principles.
2. When he sees that you have no vision but to inherit all his properties for yourself.
3. When there is dispute, disunity among children and signs of conspiracy in them.

Go to work and get a vision for your life.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by GooodHardDick: 5:13pm On Apr 23, 2022
thebosstrevor1:

A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children, but a sinner’s wealth is stored up for the righteous.

Pro. 22 vs13

That is true my brother.

But, however, we should strive and hustle to make our own money. Instead waiting to receive an inheritance.

Na man wey no know himself dey wait for inheritance
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 23, 2022
Born2winKingOG:

thanks for this.
but if I approached him to buy, he might look it as disrespect because we've quarreled about this several times. and if I went to him to give me I want to build now, when am not financially ready yet, it might lead another thing. I know he might agree but my other siblings from his other wives may kick against it asking for theirs.
Do it via proxy. Don't go directly and let no soul know except ur lawyer. I understand ur situation very well cos I'm from such a background and there was a point my dad had to sacrifice some properties to meet up certain requirements with what he was pursuing at the time. But not for any reckless reasons like marrying new wife or title and me nor ever depend on the family wealth. I have been pursuing my own to the point some people think I'm stupid as a first son from one of the wives. But the time dey come when we go know who really stupid. Na wisdom bro no be power at all
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by SocialJustice: 5:15pm On Apr 23, 2022
Ahmback:
Just when you think you've seen/heard it all.......then something new pops up
Omo I hail men. Men want sue their papa for e own property. grin grin grin
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by mapet: 5:16pm On Apr 23, 2022
1. By law your Father owns the property .
2. You have not say in how the properties are administered. It is not bequeathed to you, any attempt to meddle means you're going out of line.
3. This your (and your siblings) sense of entitlement is worse than the man selling the property. Is this property the only thing you live for?
4. You better be careful, if you anger the man, he may exclude you from the Will.

Meanwhile, stop looking at other people as yardstick or signpost to your progress. Davido's father is not your father. What Davido's father gave him to start is not your business, nor your model to progress in life. Go and work!

1 Like

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Way4orward: 5:17pm On Apr 23, 2022
Lazy youth in Buhari's voice
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by VicM6: 5:17pm On Apr 23, 2022
one thing i knw 4 sure is that ur dad knows the kind of children he has, if he dies today, u will sell all his properties also...baba is wise enough.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by bonnyhope: 5:18pm On Apr 23, 2022
[quote author=Born2winKingOG post=112200073]I Know how odd this might sound, with alot of people trooping in to insult me with all sorts of names calling, like I should go and hustle for my own and stop having entitlement mindset on someone's else's property..but you see..I will never relent..am here for those who have logical advise to give to me...so your insults is for yourself and you alone.

legal advice needed

Na kind person go kill hm papa because of property
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by waziri4biz: 5:18pm On Apr 23, 2022
It's either of two things;
*If you are under 18 you cannot sue your parent
*If you are 18 ànd above then so long as your father didn't transfer the ownership of the properties to you with any proof to show for it, you have absolutely no right to sue him.
In the constitution your father being a Citizen of the state called Nigeria then his right to ownership of property is very much his... He doesn't loose sole ownership just because he gave birth to children.... If he decides to give his belongings to orphanage instead of you for as long as the properties are rightfully his then the law backs him completely... So my advise is that you should put your father in prayers and then with wisdom talk to him... And yes if you already feel like the property is already yours to keep then you're standing on sinking sand here. Pray, counsel him.. Renounce all the friends telling you suing your dad over is own property is a good idea.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by davinchi(m): 5:18pm On Apr 23, 2022
It baffles me to hear a full blooded man talk like this. You have a mentality of a failure. How can you in this day and age depend on what your father struggled to achieve. The question is, did he send you to school or learn a trade? If your answer is Yes, then I pity you, your thoughts and mentality. You sincerely need deliverance. This kind of entitlement mentality is what has kept us as a nation this way.

Please change your thoughts.

Born2winKingOG:

1 Like

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Mamaab: 5:19pm On Apr 23, 2022
Ceeman18:
Hmm. Sit that man down and talk to him, he would want to continue to sell the land but your word will always torment and ring on his ears. If he has conscience left, he'll rethink or replan his dealings on those properties.
Pls patronise us today. we sell power steering pump of all car models.
Gang of "seat-him-down-and talk-to-him" you people are so empty. I hate this set of people.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by 001spice: 5:22pm On Apr 23, 2022
Mr man just sell the man. Case close
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by LeahpaR: 5:23pm On Apr 23, 2022
Your Dad don too listen to “Ah finesse if I broke Na my business”

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Is This Wrong? Married Woman Hugging Men / My Husband Said He Will Raise My Kids To Challenge Me And Be Rude To Me. / Obituary Of Mother And Son Who Died On The Same Day (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.