Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

A Photo Thread Of My Relocation - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Photo Thread Of My Relocation (49863 Views)

Pls How Do I Process My Relocation To Canada By Myself And Not By Agent / A Thread Of A Trip To Gooonu Banana The Haunted House / Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 19, 2022
Sanchez01:

Salt Lake City is extremely cold, though not as cold as Alaska. Loads of mountains as well. Crime rate in SLC is extremely low all thanks to the high education level.

It is an extremely peaceful city and everyone seems nice. I plan on hiking on the mountains very soon but I hope to do a proper picture thread before then.

That’s nice, glad you’re enjoying the place already. Booking a flight to SLC soon. Never been there before. Wanna see if it’s as cute as Denver, Colorado.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Goldbw122(m): 4:16pm On May 19, 2022
Sanchez01:

Times Square...
You are my mentor bro
Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Great0ne1: 4:18pm On May 19, 2022
Sanchez01:

I swear! From my Nigerian eye, the pasta is nonsense sha. Thank God for my friends in New York who don't joke with peppers and Nigerian stuff, I would have thrown up all my intestines since I got to New York. From the plane to eating out, it's been bread and lots of pasta, rice, lobsters and salmons without proper pepper. Good thing I packed some ground peppers with me.

Can't wait to cook efo riro with their Habanero or Ghost Pepper in Salt Lake. cry

I have been data starved all through the flight. I was able to get 2 plan SIM cards yesterday for $75 monthly with unlimited Internet. I didn't queue to get any SIM identification or ID, no thumb print capture, no stress, nothing at all. See, Nigeria is not a real place.
Perhaps is an imaginary hell
Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Nobody: 4:18pm On May 19, 2022
Sanchez01:
So this is hilarious and would make it as funny as possible.

We were directed to take a different exit route if we intend using a taxi so we moved our cart to the exit point. A lady was in front of us and one traveller at a time is only allowed to exit in order not to make the front of the airport rowdy. When the lady in front us exited, a crazy cold breeze slapped my essence that I turned to my wife what just happened. She didn't have an answer and I wasn't sure if what hit me was the AC within JFK airport or it just came from outside. When it got to our turn and we exited, the cold was unbelievable. "But they said they are in spring, how come it is this cold?" I asked the taxi driver. The driver laughed and just said "welcome to New York". We packed our stuff in the car and moved.

Our destination was about 40 minutes away and all I had my eyes on was the fare meter. Something that was reading peacefully just added $6.55 after passing a bridge immediately. "Ah, do you guys have Tinubu or LCC here?", I exclaimed. The black driver laughed but didn't get the joke. "Please, how come $6.55 jumped on the fare just now?", I asked. "Oh, that's normal around here. It applies to Queens Midtown, blah blah blah..." At this time, the fare had jumped to $49 dollars and I kept wondering what the eventual fare would be after arriving our temporary destination.

Long story short, we arrived and fare cost was $69.10. Mi rogo! Lori taxi!? shocked. I almost had instant migraine because the Nigerian in me just started converting $70 to Naira, in line with the latest Black Market Rate. While I was lost in thoughts, the driver jokingly asked if I wouldn't tip him after driving the long distance. I looked at him in confusion. "But I just paid you, I know tipping you isn't important. The Nigerian in me is converting the fare and you are asking that I tip you again?" E wo l'eleyi bayii? undecided "So, how much do I tip you?" I asked, trying to prepare my mind for one unbelievable response. He looked at me and responded; "usually, it is 20% of the fare", about $7 or so", he replied. I gave him $10 from the $30 change he gave to me, converted $77 to Naira on the spot while he thanked us and drove away. I was shivering almost two minutes after alighting while trying to move our bags into our host's apartment. Cold ran up my spine even with a jacket on and was almost shaking. It isn't even in Utah yet or even winter but spring and the cold is this insane. Nothing prepares you for this as a Nigerian. Nothing does. cry

Remembered my first day in the US, landed in JFK on a winter morning. My brain almost exploded when I stepped outside the airport, had to run back inside. If I had taken one more step I’m sure I would have frozen. The cold was unbelievable.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by innocentrich: 4:19pm On May 19, 2022
burritto:

That’s nice, glad you’re enjoying the place already. Booking a flight to SLC soon. Never been there before. Wanna see if it’s as cute as Denver, Colorado.

SLC is a small cute city lots of mountains so if you want to go hiking this is definitely the best place for you. Sometimes the pressure can be so low here because of the night elevation, I’m currently having a bleeding nose because of that

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Bbbw: 4:20pm On May 19, 2022
Good
Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 4:24pm On May 19, 2022
burritto:

It's a peaceful, quiet city. I'm sure you'll love it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 19, 2022
innocentrich:

SLC is a small cute city lots of mountains so if you want to go hiking this is definitely the best place for you. Sometimes the pressure can be so low here because of the night elevation, I’m currently having a bleeding nose because of that

Dang, that’s serious
Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 4:27pm On May 19, 2022
burritto:

Remembered my first day in the US, landed in JFK on a winter morning. My brain almost exploded when I stepped outside the airport, had to run back inside. If I had taken one more step I’m sure I would have frozen. The cold was unbelievable.
That JFK breeze that hits you at the exit isn't normal one bit. All through our two day stay in New York, the wind was crazy. I mean it slapped a side of my face so hard that I turned round and thought someone called my name. And I was wearing a beanie. It's not just normal.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 4:28pm On May 19, 2022
innocentrich:

Wait, you live beside the mountains? If yes, you live around Mill Creek?

4 Likes

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Whizzy080(m): 4:28pm On May 19, 2022
Sanchez01:

First, I am not a picture person so this is a whole lot of challenge taking pictures at every turn.

Anyways, Richdee1, here is a mention as promised.
You no get face?
Download random pics online to oppress ur village people while sipping garri in trenches

1 Like

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Ernesthugo(m): 4:29pm On May 19, 2022
please we appreciate your efforts,kindly upload same way cheesy

the maximum picture size to be uploaded Attachments: (maximum size: 4MB for pictures and 250kB for other files)

i guess your mobile phone is doing justice to the beautiful pictures you snap even as a non-pro but the upload wiz would reduce the resolutions.

please share with us how your journey is going i wish i can have this fun but where i am we work day to night

better than the trenches and seeing world class structures.

most safest country in the world now.

Sanchez01:

Not sure why that is happening. I have tons of pictures already but with the strange resolution drop, I'll just keep them for now and find out how to work around them in order to retain their resolution when I upload.
Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by okoroemeka(m): 4:29pm On May 19, 2022
burritto:

Africa has the best climate for human being to live but sadly we and our leaders has turned it to hell, imagine living in a -10 degrees ice block making machine,it's incredible

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 19, 2022
Op am very happy For you. Congratulations to your Family. America anytime anyday!!

4 Likes

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by innocentrich: 4:34pm On May 19, 2022
Sanchez01:

Wait, you live beside the mountains? If yes, you live around Mill Creek?

Booked a place on Airbnb in Millcreek and stayed for 3 weeks when I first got here last month, then moved to SLC 1st of this month when the apartment I got was ready to move in. My work place is in Magna, an LNG plant own by Dominion Energy. You stay in Millcreek?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by ThEGodFaThEr139: 4:35pm On May 19, 2022
Originalsly:
Hmmm.....Times Square now a shadow of what it used to be.... thanks to COVID 19. But hey!... now you are qualified to say you were in NYC!....seems like you been snapping at everything!... even that Duffy Statue... never seen that guy!... wonder where you found him! Happy for you!... when you get to Salt Lake City .... home of the "dirty soda "... it's a totally different story! ... what journey!
It seems you be been to every nook and cranny of NYC.
I doff my hat, Na you be boss of all bosses.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 4:37pm On May 19, 2022
innocentrich:

Booked a place on Airbnb in Millcreek and stayed for 3 weeks when I first got here last month, then moved to SLC 1st of this month when the apartment I got was ready to move in. My work place is in Magna, an LNG plant own by Dominion Energy. You stay in Millcreek?
In my case, booked an Airbnb around Jordan Landing when I first arrived. I was supposed to stay roughly two weeks but got an apartment early enough, just after two days.

Yes, I'm in one of the Mill Creeks. Dominion Energy serves us here.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Olufemiolaolu(m): 4:38pm On May 19, 2022
Interesting thread, congratulations bro

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Sanchez01: 4:38pm On May 19, 2022
Ernesthugo:
please we appreciate your efforts,kindly upload same way cheesy

the maximum picture size to be uploaded Attachments: (maximum size: 4MB for pictures and 250kB for other files)

i guess your mobile phone is doing justice to the beautiful pictures you snap even as a non-pro but the upload wiz would reduce the resolutions.

please share with us how your journey is going i wish i can have this fun but where i am we work day to night

better than the trenches and seeing world class structures.

most safest country in the world now.

Lol. I won't want to ruin an SLC picture thread with terribly picture qualities.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by FabulousAutos(m): 4:39pm On May 19, 2022
Sanchez01:
So this is hilarious and would make it as funny as possible.

We were directed to take a different exit route if we intend using a taxi so we moved our cart to the exit point. A lady was in front of us and one traveller at a time is only allowed to exit in order not to make the front of the airport rowdy. When the lady in front us exited, a crazy cold breeze slapped my essence that I turned to my wife what just happened. She didn't have an answer and I wasn't sure if what hit me was the AC within JFK airport or it just came from outside. When it got to our turn and we exited, the cold was unbelievable. "But they said they are in spring, how come it is this cold?" I asked the taxi driver. The driver laughed and just said "welcome to New York". We packed our stuff in the car and moved.

Our destination was about 40 minutes away and all I had my eyes on was the fare meter. Something that was reading peacefully just added $6.55 after passing a bridge immediately. "Ah, do you guys have Tinubu or LCC here?", I exclaimed. The black driver laughed but didn't get the joke. "Please, how come $6.55 jumped on the fare just now?", I asked. "Oh, that's normal around here. It applies to Queens Midtown, blah blah blah..." At this time, the fare had jumped to $49 dollars and I kept wondering what the eventual fare would be after arriving our temporary destination.

Long story short, we arrived and fare cost was $69.10. Mi rogo! Lori taxi!? shocked. I almost had instant migraine because the Nigerian in me just started converting $70 to Naira, in line with the latest Black Market Rate. While I was lost in thoughts, the driver jokingly asked if I wouldn't tip him after driving the long distance. I looked at him in confusion. "But I just paid you, I know tipping you isn't important. The Nigerian in me is converting the fare and you are asking that I tip you again?" E wo l'eleyi bayii? undecided "So, how much do I tip you?" I asked, trying to prepare my mind for one unbelievable response. He looked at me and responded; "usually, it is 20% of the fare", about $7 or so", he replied. I gave him $10 from the $30 change he gave to me, converted $77 to Naira on the spot while he thanked us and drove away. I was shivering almost two minutes after alighting while trying to move our bags into our host's apartment. Cold ran up my spine even with a jacket on and was almost shaking. It isn't even in Utah yet or even winter but spring and the cold is this insane. Nothing prepares you for this as a Nigerian. Nothing does. cry

You should have used super shuttle. That's what I used during my last trip to Houston and there fares are fixed. Its much cheaper cos the bus will pick every passenger heading towards your destination and drop them off right at their doorsteps.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Slynation(m): 4:40pm On May 19, 2022
Congrats bro...!! Very soon, I will also japa...just like you pointed out, Nigeria ain't real, this are stuffs I like reading, not some unscrupulous fellows that will go and be advising other Nigerians not to come...Mehn, I hate that sh*t, fvcking return home let another person go...grin

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Alvino1(m): 4:43pm On May 19, 2022
OP i tap from your success, I would love to have a trip like yours someday...

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Nyanabo(m): 4:44pm On May 19, 2022
Congratulations. It's always my dream to move to North America.

1 Like

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by SavageResponse(m): 4:46pm On May 19, 2022
Sanchez01:

cheesy

My brother, if you can, leave. Nigeria isn't a real place. I hate to say it but you will only realise how much of a jungle Nigeria is when you move to where things work.

So far, I have gotten my social, got a credit card approved by Discovery, changed billing details to mine and done lots of stuff without having to leave my home, bribe someone or queue endlessly.

To be honest, I was quite indifferent the entire flight and wasn't moved about touring Turkey. I just wanted to touch down and pretend like I never spent a long time travelling. I guess it's because wifey packed heavy and I was dragging bags. With my current frame of mind now, I'm sure I could do all of that now but the opportunity has passed without a doubt.

You people relocating from Nigeria and also encouraging others to leave also contributed to the rot in the country.

The problems in Nigeria were caused by Nigerians!

Anytime I visit a country in Europe and I'm returning to Nigeria I notice that Nigerians always behave prim and proper at the airport but once the flight lands at MMIA in Nigeria their senses take leave and they all start behaving like mad people.

The reason why this is so is because people don't get punished for bad behaviour in this country(you can virtually get away with anything especially if you're ready to spend money), this is not just the fault of our politicians, every Nigerian is complicit in this!

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Starboytwo(m): 4:48pm On May 19, 2022
Enjoying the thread…

Ah die here tho.
Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Dawn91(m): 4:56pm On May 19, 2022
Sanchez01:

A while ke? It has faded already sef. For the first two week, I used to wake up at night thinking 'NEPA has taken the light' but not anymore.

Surprisingly, I settled in nicely.

Congratulations
Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Ernesthugo(m): 4:59pm On May 19, 2022
ok boss

Sanchez01:

Lol. I won't want to ruin an SLC picture thread with terribly picture qualities.
Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by innocentrich: 5:03pm On May 19, 2022
Sanchez01:

In my case, booked an Airbnb around Jordan Landing when I first arrived. I was supposed to stay roughly two weeks but got an apartment early enough, just after two days.

Yes, I'm in one of the Mill Creeks. Dominion Energy serves us here.

Lucky you then cos I got tired of staying in the Airbnb apartment I got. Couldn’t wait to get to my own place. Yeah you get all your gas and heating from Dominion Energy and I help Make that happen so if you make me vex I go disconnect your gas lol just joking. So how you settling in so far?

6 Likes

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Nobody: 5:09pm On May 19, 2022
okoroemeka:
Africa has the best climate for human being to live but sadly we and our leaders has turned it to hell, imagine living in a -10 degrees ice block making machine,it's incredible

Truth. Always feel like heaven anytime I enter Nigeria cos spring spring really sucks for me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by Bossman(m): 5:10pm On May 19, 2022
There is probably a limit on the size and resolution on the pictures that could be uploaded. Also, may be it's being compressed during the upload.

Sanchez01:

Not sure why that is happening. I have tons of pictures already but with the strange resolution drop, I'll just keep them for now and find out how to work around them in order to retain their resolution when I upload.
Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by RealityKings: 5:12pm On May 19, 2022
Sanchez01:
*Scratches head.* The pictures look great and super sharp on my phone but for weird reasons, they become blurry when I upload them.

I hope God blesses me like you one day.

4 Likes

Re: A Photo Thread Of My Relocation by tunnex190: 5:14pm On May 19, 2022
CountVersailles:
Following...
Long stopovers are only interesting if you have a transit visa. Otherwise, it's boring staying in the airport.

True but there are stop-overs that are less than 5hrs. You don't expect me to transit and probably forget myself for the next flights. If the next flight will take 24hrs there's no problem about having transit visa.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Train Crushes Man's Leg And Hand While Listening To Music In Lagos / Myanmar Pilot Successfully Lands Faulty Plane Without Front Wheels (Photos) / The Destruction Caused After Dam Collapsed In South Africa (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.