Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,489 members, 7,808,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? (3095 Views)

Fayose Dares Buhari On State Of Emergency In Ekiti, Rivers, Says It Won't Work / 'better An Ex-dictator Than A Weak President'- UK Telegraph / Jonathan Is A Very Weak President – David-west (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by GrayBeard: 5:06pm On Jul 09, 2011
Can anybody proffer just one good reason why Pres Jonathan has failed to declare a state of emrgency in Borno State? ? ?
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by udezue(m): 4:53am On Jul 10, 2011
He is spineless.
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by NegroNtns(m): 5:16am On Jul 10, 2011
Can u all just give him a slack and let him do his job?
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by Blackteeth(m): 10:10am On Jul 10, 2011
Poster shut the hell up. Go and be president let me see what you will do.
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by EkoIle1: 11:54am On Jul 10, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Unfortunately, hundreds of dead innocent Nigerians and men of the Nigerian police didn't get any break before getting slaughtered.

We elect leaders to lead and protect us, not to sit still and take breaks while we get bombed everyday. Why not hand over power if he can not abide by his oath of office to serve and protect the Nigerian people?
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 10, 2011
he is still 'accessing' the situation

declaring a state of emergency will impact negatively on businesses, gdp . . blah blah blah

since the actions of boko haram have not already achieved this
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by EkoIle1: 12:08pm On Jul 10, 2011
oyb:

he is still 'accessing' the situation

declaring a state of emergency will impact negatively on businesses, gdp . . blah blah blah

since the actions of boko haram have not already achieved this

You mean loss of innocent lives is secondary to businesses? What business in that state is worth more than your life?

Ours is nothing but a country full of weak and incompetent leaders and absurd thinking citizenry.
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by GrayBeard: 2:38pm On Jul 10, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

This is an incredibly st.upid statement. Do his job? ? ? What does his job entail? Security of lives and property no? Is there any situiation that would make a better case for a state of emergency than the carnage already going on? ? ? Why does the constitution vest the president with such powers if he will never use itr regardless the level of murderous crisis? You have no respect for human life.

Blackteeth:

Poster shut the hell up. Go and be president let me see what you will do.

If you had lost anyone to Boko Haram's rampage, you would not make this idiotioc statement
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by DrummaBoy(m): 3:04pm On Jul 10, 2011
Reasons: Find them in d 20 reasons why U shouldnt vote GEJ I posted here b4 d elections.
1. His Clueless leadership, etc
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by PeeDaVinci: 3:47pm On Jul 10, 2011
he cant declare state of emergency not only because he is weak, but because he is clueless. state of emergency puts the administration of a state directly under the president, however, since he figured out that he has no clues on how to deal with boko haram even if the state is directly under his rule, he chose not to impose it
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by GrayBeard: 4:39pm On Jul 10, 2011
Well that is one view, but sincerely the idea that a state of emergency automatically suspends the state government is wrong. there is no such thing in the constitution. that is a militaristic impostion of obasanjo
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by seanet02: 5:13pm On Jul 10, 2011
What a clueless country led by a clueless President!
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by 1025: 5:22pm On Jul 10, 2011
Can anybody proffer just one good reason why Pres Jonathan has failed to declare a state of emrgency in Borno State? ? ?

@poster,
the reason is that the state of emergency he declared in our power sector has yielded nothing after 1 yr plus so no need for state of emergency. to me, the best thing will be for him to be a gentleman and resign this presidential post. if u look at those behind him, u will not be surprised with the situation in the country, fresh air 2011 and here we are in fresh bombs here and there.

@negro,
when will he do his jobs? maybe when the boko harams have killed all of us abi? the man is either confused or does not know his jobs. i watched this man swear an other on the 29th of may to protect our lives and property so why is he not doing that now?
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by MMM2(m): 6:37pm On Jul 10, 2011
Still thinking angry
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by crackhouse(m): 6:54pm On Jul 10, 2011
maybe he is still waiting for his advisers to fully commence work afterwards they will advice him on what to do about it. grin grin cry cry
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by enyojo(f): 7:00pm On Jul 10, 2011
I am not the person to teach GEJ how to eat with his right hand.
A leader needs personal vision, he can't promise heaven and earth and then think Ngozi will cover his spinelessness for him.
He will be dead shocked before 2015 that the Woman would have taken the shine off him!
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jul 10, 2011
Dame:Ssh, They are talking of zoning the PDP chair na,don't disturb the men now
SSspokeswoman:I dont know what those Almajiris want?
Dame: I have an idea,call NTA to bring camera to video me *bursts into song* if you love Nigeria,please stop this bombing Boko haram men Southerners are pleading.LOL
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 10, 2011
enyojo:

He will be dead shocked before 2015 that the Woman would have taken the shine off him!

Nigeria should by now know that GEJ ain't the Messiah to 'transform' this country.
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by ektbear: 7:21pm On Jul 10, 2011
Why do the northerners always do this, though? Didn't they do the same thing a little bit into OBJ's tenure?

But I thought the composition of the army is sufficiently different and the risk of coup small enough for GEJ to act (unlike OBJ who could not.)
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by searay(m): 7:29pm On Jul 10, 2011
Boko 'ram state is not part of nigeria, so there's no point caring abt them.
The president is meant to protect lives n properties of his citizens right? Then police will do wat? R u guys suggesting that GEJ shld start carryin gun to protect police? By d way what is state of emergency?
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by aljharem3: 7:31pm On Jul 10, 2011
this is sad

our president rather watch thousands die than take action
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by PeeDaVinci: 8:22pm On Jul 10, 2011
as gej's mouthpiece, i will like to say that the president is saddened by the recent exploits of boko haram and he would have loved to do something, he would av loved to declare state of emergency, but he is clueless on how to handle this situation as the process really really tough and complex. we all need to pray and wish that the power of luck will one day stop this carnage goin on in borno
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by monkeyleg: 8:36pm On Jul 10, 2011
Why do we always kid ourselves. Goddy has always been slow to act in all issues requiring decisive and urgent attention, and it has nothing to do with him wanting a full grasp of the situation before he acts. To be honest I dont blame him, simply because the task at hand is way beyond him. Nigeria is really in a broken state, and it will take more than a fisherman from ND to fix her. Nigeria and all arms of her government and services need a total overhaul, almost like rebuilding the country from scratch
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by Leyelyzo: 8:43pm On Jul 10, 2011
I hope what happen to Sudan will not be the fate of Nigeria someday cause Our unity is at stake. There is something u guyz dont know here, Dr Ebele doesnt want to do anything to jeopardize the unity of Nigeria, he doesnt want any part of the federation to oppose his government. Hmm, what a man of foresight cool
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by IYANGBALI: 8:47pm On Jul 10, 2011
GEJ has no balls e gba be
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by lavivifubs: 8:58pm On Jul 10, 2011
When GEJ became President, I was happy that our efforts paid off. But now, I am confused as to my efforts for him prior to April 16.
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by owobokiri(m): 8:59pm On Jul 10, 2011
I dont know the difference between what you have there now and a "state of emergency". There are almost 5000 soldiers on ground there and the security situation has more less been taken over by the military General . That is enough.  There is nothing a state of emergency will add to that other than sacking the governor and appointing an administrator who will still depend on the same security guys in place at the moment. We should thread carefully whenever we invite a sitting Nigerian president to declare a state of emergency. It can easily be abused by a power grabbing ijiot in power.
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by BetaThings: 9:48pm On Jul 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Why do the northerners always do this, though? Didn't they do the same thing a little bit into OBJ's tenure?

But I thought the composition of the army is sufficiently different and the risk of coup small enough for GEJ to act (unlike OBJ who could not.)
Really?
Was that the reason Obasanjo bombed Odi and nobody could go to Warri (Itsekiri v Urhobo)
And MEND followed on their heels
And of course the ife/Modakeke crisis was also under Obj
BTW Boko Haram started under Yaradua (a fellow northerner)
What did the Northerners do that would have warranted Obj acting
You are beginning to believe in propaganda
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by apoti(m): 10:27pm On Jul 10, 2011
The earlier we realise that GEJ is the worst elected president the better for us. For God's sake this man said he needs a year and half to settle down in office. shocked  Since then I have concluded there's no hope for Nigeria through this man  embarassed

Jonathan remarked: “I will not talk about the tenure of the Government, the constitution has said four years, though some believe that four years is too short to make any change, which I also believe. I believe because if you are a new person and you are elected as a governor today, it will take one to one and half years for you to really stabilize. And you also know that some members of your cabinet are not good and that is why in most cases, after one year or two Mr. president reshuffles the cabinet and by the time you want to go for another two and half years, it is another election and you are all busy about winning election.
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by ektbear: 10:41pm On Jul 10, 2011
BetaThings:

Really?
Was that the reason Obasanjo bombed Odi and nobody could go to Warri (Itsekiri v Urhobo)
And MEND followed on their heels
And of course the ife/Modakeke crisis was also under Obj
BTW Boko Haram started under Yaradua (a fellow northerner)
What did the Northerners do that would have warranted Obj acting
You are beginning to believe in propaganda

I don't mean Boko Haram specifically. I'm saying that I believe that the Sharia that was installed in the North in the early 2000s and the various riots and unrest there were instigated (by northern politicians seeking to destabilize a southern president.)

Don't you notice a pattern here? Why do they only remember Islam in the north when a southerner is president? smiley
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by BetaThings: 11:10pm On Jul 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't mean Boko Haram specifically. I'm saying that I believe that the Sharia that was installed in the North in the early 2000s and the various riots and unrest there were instigated (by northern politicians seeking to destabilize a southern president.)

Don't you notice a pattern here? Why do they only remember Islam in the north when a southerner is president? smiley

That pattern is not easy to spot yet. The governors who introduced Sharia did it then to just curry populist favour but the thing fizzled out even before Obasanjo's second term. You should remember the Northerners worked for the emergence of Obasanjo in 1999.

As for Boko Haram, I remember it emerged under Yaradua, a Northerner. Shortly after their leader was killed extra judicially under Yaradua, they promised to regroup and attack everywhere including Lagos.
I like to make such conclusions about pattern when things are very clear to me
Re: Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? by princemmab(m): 12:01am On Jul 11, 2011
wats d need

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Facts About Boko Haram / MUST READ: Pastor Oritsejafor Finally Speaks Out On $9.3m Arms Deal / Jonathan: My Re-election Will Be Difficult

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.