Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,418 members, 7,781,222 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:51 AM

My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far (46826 Views)

Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker / 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast / Junior Developer Internship So Hard To Find (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 10:43am On Apr 29, 2022
Maclink288:

Bro, Product design interview no be here oh! The process is too long. I remembered a time I was given a design task, after completing it and doing interviews. Then it was time for the company to onboard me and give me an offer letter, that was how the CEO asked me which country I was, I told him Nigeria. 2hrs later I was sent a rejection letter stating "time differences" cause it was a US job (remote) .

I believe LinkedIn, Indeed and Twitter are the core platforms in getting a job in tech though I haven't gotten any but I'd keep applying and modifying my portfolio and resume.
So sad to hear that. It can be really disappointing after thinking you've almost clinched it.

Na their loss jare. You know how many US startups are working with Nigerian devs remotely. Time difference shouldn't be an excuse as long as the candidate is fine with it.

I even prefer working at night sef.
Great things are coming your way bro

14 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 10:45am On Apr 29, 2022
ovanda:
Guys, please I need a mentor. I don't need to be taught how to program cos I already know that part. All i need is somebody to tell me what path to take. Please @TheManofTheYear. My God given talent just dey waste.
Me I don't have a mentor, I never had one.

Just utilize communities like twitter to get a clear path depending on the path you're taking.
In regards to courses, platforms like YouTube and Udemy, udacity, codecademy are there for you.

If you're stuck with a bug or how to add a feature, you can check sites like Stackoverflow, geeks4geeks etc or you can also read official documentations.

Na so me I dey run am o.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by BlackSan: 11:15am On Apr 29, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Sure just send a PM.

Me too please.
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Maclink288: 1:03pm On Apr 29, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
So sad to here that. It can be really disappointing after thinking you've almost clinched it.

Na their loss jare. You know how many US startups are working with Nigerian devs remotely. Time difference shouldn't be an excuse as long as the candidate is fine with it.

I even prefer working at night sef.
Great things are coming your way bro
Amen oh

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by airsaylongcome: 1:44pm On Apr 29, 2022
Maclink288:

Bro, Product design interview no be here oh! The process is too long. I remembered a time I was given a design task, after completing it and doing interviews. Then it was time for the company to onboard me and give me an offer letter, that was how the CEO asked me which country I was, I told him Nigeria. 2hrs later I was sent a rejection letter stating "time differences" cause it was a US job (remote) .

I believe LinkedIn, Indeed and Twitter are the core platforms in getting a job in tech though I haven't gotten any but I'd keep applying and modifying my portfolio and resume.

They are just being clever by half. These same US companies hire Ukrainian developers who have a "worse" timezone difference. They should have just been straight that they in particular, have an issue with integrity working with Naija. I work a customer facing role for a US company in US PST timezone. Meaning time difference is at least 8 hours! My work day starts when our work day ends here.

I am the first to always confess that I was lucky! Very lucky. My first remote role ever was with a US business and ai got hired and started working within 2 weeks of applying. My bosses at the time needed a hand damn badly and I was the most prepared and most qualified at the time they had the opening. Funny thing is that the role I applied for was stuff ai had been doing as a hobby at home for 7 years prior to applying. So my employers at the time were convinced that if I was doing it as a hobby for that long then it was a field I loved irrespective of the money. And to some extent they were right. But not completely. I was doing it (and several other stuff I was monkeying about with) because I loved computing and always wanted to find an alternative to mainstream solutions used by big business.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 2:48pm On Apr 29, 2022
What airsaylongcome stated is true.
One of the US based start-ups I applied to just reached out to me to proceed with my interview process.

They are based in Delaware, which I believe has like 6 hours difference.

Well, they are giving me a take-home test, but I'm to submit in 3 days.
This is definitely easier as compared to the one the Europe based start-up gave me.

I'm on it already. Everything is overwhelming at this point. I'd stop making further applications for now

14 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:51pm On Apr 29, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
One of the US based start-ups I applied to just reached out to me to proceed with my interview process.

They are based in Delaware, which I believe has like 7 hours difference.

This is definitely easier as compared to the one the Europe based start-up gave me.

I'm on it already. Everything is overwhelming at this point. I'd stop making further applications for now

Na so e be. I remember when I started applying to jobs. Foolish me was applying to like 100 jobs a day. The fall out after 3 weeks wasn't what I was ready for. Tens of interviews. Infact I purposely avoided some interviews. Calls on my phones. I didn't even know which ones I applied to when I got those calls. Just focus on getting the ones you have gotten now.

24 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 2:57pm On Apr 29, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Na so e be. I remember when I started applying to jobs. Foolish me was applying to like 100 jobs a day. The fall out after 3 weeks wasn't what I was ready for. Tens of interviews. Infact I purposely avoided some interviews. Calls on my phones. I didn't even know which ones I applied to when I got those calls. Just focus on getting the ones you have gotten now.
Exactly boss.
And another thing I noticed about making too many applications is that, you could find yourself in a situation where you may receive offers from different companies at different times.

If you happen to take the first offer, you might receive another offer with better packages grin

This is if you killed most of your interviews.

13 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by JsScript: 5:17pm On Apr 29, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:

They are based in Delaware, which I believe has like 6 hours difference.

If I may ask please, what are to asked to do in the take home test

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Maclink288: 5:21pm On Apr 29, 2022
@airsaylongcome
Are you a product designer? If yes, how do you apply for jobs? I do apply through LinkedIn and I must say it hasn't gotten me anything tangible. I have only gotten one interview. I don't know if it's better to present a portfolio on website or using Behance and Dribbble.
Do you use a website portfolio or Behance?
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Devynecheeh(m): 8:48pm On Apr 29, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Getting started in tech writing is just similar to development.
You'd need to build your writing portfolio by writing articles on your blog.
I'd suggest you use Hashnode, for your blog. Just create an account there and start writing articles.

Write comprehensive articles centered around your stack, usually something you've learnt or some other stuffs you've discovered.

After having some solid articles under your belt, then start applying for jobs online. There are many sites that would pay you to write for them.

Thanks so much...I appreciate ur response

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Anonime1105(m): 4:42am On Apr 30, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
I built a cryptocurrency app using the Coinranking API, I built a Skype clone app using the 100ms SDK, I built a travel app using the trip advisor API etc

Real estate apps, and e-commerce stores are great projects too

nice one bro, currently working on my projects.
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Anonime1105(m): 4:55am On Apr 30, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
I'd talk about the Nigerian start-up later.
But this European startup is where I really want to be honest. The job perks included
- training the junior developer
- assigning a mentor throughout your time with the company
- a chance to grow into a mid-level developer and even senior. Depending on how long you stay
- a laptop upgrade grin

What more can I ask for?

But the recruitment process was a two step one. First, they gave me a take-home test (which I'm still on now). The test was given alongside the UI design for it.
Omo. It tests every nook and cranny of your react skills.
From redux to Apollo to fetch data from their endpoint.
I am not allowed to use any library or any framework.
Just pure CSS, and React.

Even hooks because they stated it's must be Class Components cry

Meaning I had to put myself through a brief learning curve, to learn about class components and even classes in JS.

They said the test has NO deadline, but deep down I gave myself one month to finish it.
All these oyinbo people, they go say no deadline but be careful. It doesn't mean you shouldn't time yourself grin

goodluck bro.

3 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Cool85: 5:22am On Apr 30, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Sure just send a PM.
Baba, I want connect with you on WhatsApp please. 08032655418
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 8:51am On Apr 30, 2022
From my job search experiences so far, what I'd tell aspiring devs is to build real-time projects.
Mostly projects that require you to fetch API data, solve a basic need in everyday life.

Brush up on your basic CSS, because most of the take home test I've gotten forbade me from using CSS frameworks, component libraries and stuffs.

Learning GraphQL and REST APIs would really play a great role here. Alongside their client queries like Apollo, Axios, FetchAPI etc

You may likely be given a design to replicate alongside the task.

Of course I'm speaking from a front-end point of view.
I can't really say what's applicable to other fields.

Just last week, I had a phone call interview with a Nigerian based start-up in Yaba.
The guy seemed to like my personality because I could accurately describe the milestones I achieved in my previous internship experiences.
Learning some professional tech terms helped me there.

But a phone interview is just a preliminary stage. Waiting to hear a call back from them for the next stage.

I'm not really that interested in Naija companies lol.
Majority of them require on-site presence, me wey love remote work.
And considering the economy, the salary would be pretty low especially for juniors.

Let's see how it goes.

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by kalex0(m): 9:37am On Apr 30, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
A sample of my writing or development work?
Which exactly sir?

Technical writing samples

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 9:48am On Apr 30, 2022
kalex0:

Technical writing samples
I just sent you a PM

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Maclink288: 11:03am On Apr 30, 2022
@TheManOfTheYear
Can you please send me a copy of your CV and technical writing so I'd revamp mine.
Please mine is not taking me to any stage.
I've sent you a PM.

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 11:44am On Apr 30, 2022
Maclink288:
@TheManOfTheYear
Can you please send me a copy of your CV and technical writing so I'd revamp mine.
Please mine is not taking me to any stage.
I've sent you a PM.
I'm trying not to pull out my anonymity. I already dropped tips on what I did to my CV.

I hope you understand

3 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Maclink288: 3:19pm On Apr 30, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
I'm trying not to pull out my anonymity. I already dropped tips on what I did to my CV.

I hope you understand
Okay, thanks

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by kalex0(m): 6:30pm On Apr 30, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
I just sent you a PM

I don’t have access to this mail again.

Can I get yours please?

I will send you a message

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 8:43pm On Apr 30, 2022
kalex0:

I don’t have access to this mail again.

Can I get yours please?

I will send you a message
Okay.

I'd reply almost immediately.
Let me know when you see this mention, so I can take it down

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 8:49pm On Apr 30, 2022
This my latest take home test isn't as easy as I thought.

Well, the hardest part is implementing a GitHub OAuth login to the react app.

I'm still a bit stuck, because it probably involves some backend icing. Na wa. Is this how hard it is to get a tech job? Una no tell me on time, I for go learn carpentry from Baba Rufus for Fadeyi.

The other part of the projects were relatively easy sha. I struggled with the CSS too, thank God for Chrome Dev tools, I was able to overcome.

Thank God for Adrian, Brad and other YouTube tutors, some of the things I learned are now coming in handy for me in this job search. If not, how I for take sabi use Redux toolkit to fetch data from a REST endpoint? Abi na the context API for global state management?
God bless them for me.

I have until 4pm on Monday to submit. Let me try to hit this thing to the best of my ability.

Please if any of you guys know how to run a simple express proxy server. Let me know. Help a junior. sad grin

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by kalex0(m): 11:00pm On Apr 30, 2022
[quote author=TheManOfTheYear post=112410434
I'd reply almost immediately.
Let me know when you see this mention, so I can take it down [/quote]

Seen
Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 11:04pm On Apr 30, 2022
kalex0:

Seen
Also, please edit it out of d quoted tweet. Thank you sir. I saw ur mail.

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by 3exe3: 12:22am On May 01, 2022
Are u done with the take home

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 2:11am On May 01, 2022
3exe3:
Are u done with the take home
I'm like 80% done now.
Im talking about my 2nd take-home. The first one still dey ground lol

But this latest one has a short deadline, so I had to make it priority.

I'm just having issues running my Node server, it keeps "crashing". I need it to properly implement the OAuth login feature.

But no worries, maybe it wouldn't crash on their own computer when testing. Lol

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by 3exe3: 7:41am On May 01, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
I'm like 80% done now.
Im talking about my 2nd take-home. The first one still dey ground lol

But this latest one has a short deadline, so I had to make it priority.

I'm just having issues running my Node server, it keeps "crashing". I need it to properly implement the OAuth login feature.

But no worries, maybe it wouldn't crash on their own computer when testing. Lol

Sorry wish u the best

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by llaykorn: 2:10pm On May 01, 2022
Hi TheManOfTheYear

I really enjoyed reading about your experiences. I hope things turn really really beautiful for you. I'm an aspiring web developer too. I just started studying React with the fullstackopen course and I'm totally glad about what you're doing.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by TheManOfTheYear: 3:47pm On May 01, 2022
llaykorn:
Hi TheManOfTheYear

I really enjoyed reading about your experiences. I hope things turn really really beautiful for you. I'm an aspiring web developer too. I just started studying React with the fullstackopen course and I'm totally glad about what you're doing.
Thanks for the feedback.
Glad you're learning, it's not gonna be easy to be honest but consistency is what would count in the end.
I wish us the best

5 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by sageb: 1:03pm On May 02, 2022
llaykorn:
Hi TheManOfTheYear

Welcome back llaykorn
We miss you in the poetry section.
Come back and post poems.

3 Likes

Re: My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far by Lastmessenger2: 2:48pm On May 02, 2022
Very insightful. Time to dust myself up and begin the journey once again.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

High Profile Twitter Accounts Hacked By Bitcoin Scammers / Mass Resignation Of Software Engineers Disrupts Banks Digitisation Move / Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.