Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! (18544 Views)

Buhari Recalls Narrow Escape From Mob At Prayer Ground / Have you heard of this - Be informed, it's so real / Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by dejavume: 5:07pm On Jul 11, 2011
BROS GOD BLESS YOU FOR THIS LIFE SAVING INFO.MY HEART BREAKS.
I SHOWED IT TO A FRIEND OF MINE,TEARS STARTED COMING OUT OF HIS EYES!
I THINK OUR BANK SHOULD UPGRADE THEIR ATM MACHINES!
NIGERIA WE HAIL THEEEE
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by JUO(m): 5:20pm On Jul 11, 2011
do not have more than 20k in an account that has ATM
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by tpia5: 5:23pm On Jul 11, 2011
^^good advice.

even less, if possible.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by MikkyT1(m): 6:18pm On Jul 11, 2011
Nice one there, you were lucky you know?
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by master2(m): 6:29pm On Jul 11, 2011
blink182:

^^^
I have to pull all atm mouth now o. Men naija.
lol! Hahahaha
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by lastpage: 7:09pm On Jul 11, 2011
One thing l do is this:

1.) I put "good cash" in a Savings account at the same bank l have my current account.
2.) My ATM card is attached to my Current account ONLY.
3.) The current account never contains more than 45K, maximum single withdrawal with ATM is 40K
4.) I regularly move money" from my savings (No COT account) to my current account, only as the need arises. Quick-in, Quick-Out! grin
5.) I do #4 "online" from my bedroom, ONLY from my "Home DeskTop", (Never from my phone or Laptop, incase they get nicked!)

Even if l am to be "skimmed", the best they would get is the 5K that is left behind after my "last withdrawal", l have been doing this since ATM came into being and l have never lost a penny till date wink

As I type this, there are even tiny, sophisticated hand-held skimming devices in the market now that can be used on unsuspecting victims to 'ferry' their hard earned cash from their bank accounts without them ever suspecting anything. Again I say 'be vigilant' because there have been several such cases in the US and in the UK especially that occured in restaurants, fast food shops, petrol/gas stations, shopping malls and most ATM's not situated within bank premises.

In fact, the "equipments are so sophisticated now, especially with the advent of "bluetooth"  grin

Let me share an experience.
Me and my pal bought some things and were about to leave the Departmental Store when we noticed "this pretty lady" who just parked her car, a few cars from mine and my friend "developed interest" (Not me, l am happily married with nice kids, l swear!).

She took her handbag and dumped it in the "boot of her car" with some other valuables.
As a standard rule, we also keep valuables in the boot of our car, safer than back-seat or pigeon hole.

She locked her car, we are certain of that 'cos we heard the sound (puun-pun) and the trafficator blinked twice!

To our surprise, just as she stepped into the store that we just came out of, two guys came from nowhere and pointed this "gadget" at her car and pronto, THE CAR WAS UNLOCKED!
We stared at ourselves in disbelief! We were still shell-shocked as we watched the guys carry the handbag, the other valuable things in the boot, then one of them went inside the car's compartment and yanked-off the Tom-Tom navigator attached o the windscreen!

I guess that is when we "sojjii" that this is a "Tiger-Raid"!
My "love-smitten" friend was the first to accost them and asked if they new the lady (l am not surprised that was his first question, he later confessed he wanted to know if one of them was her boyfriend! )

To cut long story short, the guys tried to use bravado but when we asked them her "plate Number", they  both had to look first and even then, it was hard for them to repeat it instantly! When an argument was about ensuing, they tried to take-off in their car but when l noticed a "working" laptop inside their car, l knew something serious was wrong. I blocked them with my car, unknown to us, the car park's CCTV camera captured everything.

The guys forcefully drove away, damaging my car in the process.

The Police came at about the same time the lady came out of the store and she almost fainted on seeing her car boot open! Within ten minutes, we heard the guys were picked-up by Police Patrol car, not too far off.

The Police later told us (Insurance claim, Police report, e.t.c ensured we were privy to the investigation and prosecution of the guys) that they used a "Skimming Device" that CAPTURED  the blue-tooth signal" used in locking the car! The signal goes from the Key-fob,to the car's locking system and they simply intercepted and captured it en-route!
shocked shocked

Now, l never use that "puun-pun" Keyfob to lock my car, l use the Key, as in old school style! wink wink

For all our effort, the lady is "in the bag now" and she is really worth the trouble, at least to my Pal grin grin

I hope everyone who has not heard of this style, and still uses "KeyFob to puun-pun their car"  grin (to lock their car safely), will have a rethink.
Cheers.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by denzel2009: 7:23pm On Jul 11, 2011
^^^^Typical bluesnarfing method to exploit 'punn pun' security.

Anyway, transferring funds from your desktop at home in your bedroom doesn't mean you can't be hacked.

Just make sure your online banking url starts with http[b]s[/b]

Stay safe!
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 11, 2011
@poster
how are so sure that those guys -culprits don't patronize Nairaland? Pls, be mindful of information that you give about yourself, blog etc, You have to be e-security conscious, also. smiley

Thanks for sharing this, it's helpful.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by executinal(m): 9:52pm On Jul 11, 2011
Intrepid!:

I was going to write about something funny this week, but an event which occured yesterday forced my hand into changing the script. Everything you are going to read here is true, and I hope you guys will learn from my experience and not fall victim to fraudsters like a number of people already have, and others unfortunately will continue to be.

Thursday, July 6 2011 was one of those days when 3rd Mainland bridge was inexplicably clogged with cars. I was carless, so my friend picked me up from the office and we proceeded to the mainland. Roughly two hours later, we got to Anthony Village where I reside and I decided to use the ATM machine in the GT Bank branch which is situated near one of the two major bus-stops that service the area. Now, it was around 9.30pm and I didn't think it was fair to make my friend wait so I told her I was going to take a bike home so she left.

On getting to the atm gallery, I noticed that the first of the two machines was 'temporarily out of service' so I used the second one. I noticed that the card slot of the machine I was using had a funny looking receptacle but I shrugged my concerns aside and executed my transaction.

Just as I turned to leave, my 'spidey-sense' started tingling like crazy. I looked at the funny contraption that sat over the card slot with a more critical eye. It blended with the general colour scheme of the machine,  I prodded and pulled it, and to my astonishment the thing fell off! I scrutinized it carefully, with no small measure of suspicion,  The thing had some funny-looking chips embedded in it, and a port that appeared to connect it to a computer or some other device. Apparently, some motherfuckers placed the device there to extract the information on the debit cards of unsuspecting ATM users, which they use to clone their cards and raid their accounts. The fraudsters had blocked the card slot of the other machine with toothpicks to disable it and compel customers to use the machine where they had installed their device. My dad once got hit for 60 grand by some NaughtyPerson scammers who probably used the same methods. His loss was aggravated by the bank's uncooperative stance on the matter. They insisted that he had disclosed his details to a third-party and that they were not liable for any losses he had incurred.

When I was about to turn and leave, two women came into the bank to use the machine. I drew their attention to my discovery and we began searching for a bank security man to report the matter to. For some strange reason, we couldn’t find a single soul on the bank premises. As we stood there contemplating our next move, two shady looking males entered the bank premises. As soon as I saw them, I knew they were the fraudsters. They looked shifty, and eyed us suspiciously when they saw us standing near the machines. One of them asked me if the ATMs were working and I answered in the affirmative. As I answered, the ladies and I walked away and stood in front of the bank building. The fraudsters checked the machine for their ‘oil-well’ and when they couldn’t find it, they walked up to me and asked again, ‘bros, did you say the machine is working well? Shey there is no problem?’ By this time I was pretty irritated and I answered them sharply, ‘yes the machine is working, didn’t you hear me the first time?’

They appeared confused and unsure of the next move to make. They might have suspected that I was with their device but they really didn’t have any proof, especially given the fact that I concealed the device very carefully. They walked back to the ATM bank, and I took the opportunity to leave the banking premises and cross over to the other side of the road where there were a number of people and some illumination. After some two minutes, the two retards gave up their futile search and exited the bank. They walked past me and went into Anthony proper, possibly to go and give a report to their ‘Godfather’. I hope he gutted the two of them like fishes for losing a source of his ‘lau-lau’ money.

I was conscious of the fact that I was in great danger standing beside the road while I waited for a bike to take me home. The fraudsters could have gotten desperate and attacked me with the hope of finding the device on me. The idea of walking home was a non-starter as there were a number of dark places they could ambush me in and do me great harm. After some deep thought, I stopped a bike and asked him to take me home. I made sure I paid him in advance and I kept my eye over my shoulder for the entire duration of the journey. As soon as we got to the entrance gate of the estate where I reside in, I hopped off and darted inside. I trotted home and securely locked the gate behind me…

What the hell do I do with this device? Report the matter to the police who will find a way to implicate me and force me to give them bribes to secure my release; turn it over to the bank where I discovered it so some greedy-arse banker who is up to his teeth in loans converts the device to his use; or do I just destroy it?

www.chimezieokonkwo..com

GREAT INFO shocked shocked shocked
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Thirst4Lif: 10:58pm On Jul 11, 2011
Just as I turned to leave, my 'spidey-sense' started tingling like crazy. I looked at the funny contraption that sat over the card slot with a more critical eye. It blended with the general colour scheme of the machine, I prodded and pulled it, and to my astonishment the thing fell off! I scrutinized it carefully, with no small measure of suspicion, The thing had some funny-looking chips embedded in it, and a port that appeared to connect it to a computer or some other device.

This scam was reported in the U.S. about a year ago, maybe longer.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by blackis(m): 11:31pm On Jul 11, 2011
@ Lastpage

Exactly my point my brother!! A range of some of these skimming devices come complete with bluetooth reception capabilities that leaves practically everyone vulnerable. Now, as we discuss this, practically every home in Nigeria has an individual who uses a smart phone even as the number of blackberry users continue to rise dramatically. Now, it is from these pool of data users who hardly know little or nothing about protecting their identity online that the predators will swoop on! Imagine a combination of these pocket-friendly yet sophisticated devices in the hands of fraudulent minded individuals in a place as complex as Nigeria! Then you have an idea about the scale of intrusion Iam talking about here. I bet our inept and corrupt Police Force have some serious work on their hands to make investigative sense of the "abracadabra" about car thefts, identity thefts etc that will soon be the order of the day in Lagos and in other Nigerian cities.

Please be informed about this and educate others too.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by blackis(m): 11:59pm On Jul 11, 2011
How many CCTVs in Nigeria work?

I bet the ones in and around the banks are in working condition!!   grin
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by blackis(m): 12:10am On Jul 12, 2011
@ Intrepid

You should know these things are automated and there is always a way to backdoor them

You are right, atm machines are automated and can't think. But the complaint will be made to someone who can you know!! And since "these guys" are automated, I would have thought they would send back the exact amount they brought out, right? Anyway, I would love to check out a few things to see why "it" replaced back N3k and not N5k into the cash holder afterall!! And the different CCTV angles would be one of those things to consult if you know what I mean!!   grin
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by seyibrown(f): 12:44am On Jul 12, 2011
lastpage:

One thing l do is this:

1.) I put "good cash" in a Savings account at the same bank l have my current account.
2.) My ATM card is attached to my Current account ONLY.
3.) The current account never contains more than 45K, maximum single withdrawal with ATM is 40K
4.) I regularly move money" from my savings (No COT account) to my current account, only as the need arises. Quick-in, Quick-Out! grin
5.) I do #4 "online" from my bedroom, ONLY from my "Home DeskTop", (Never from my phone or Laptop, incase they get nicked!)

I use a similar system too, as every Tom, Joystick and Harry Service provider asks for your Bank and Card details in the UK! At least, here, you are likely to get your money back.

Shame on the CBN for not doing anything serious about consumer protection before (working towards) forcing a cashless society on Nigerians! Shame on the Nigerian Govt too, for all its inactions to protect consumers and ensure that all infrastructure needed to ensure a working cashless society is in place!  angry

Kudos to OP!
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by k2kay(m): 1:26am On Jul 12, 2011
black is:

I bet the ones in and around the banks are in working condition!!   grin
werepeLeri:

All of them.
Sorry to bust your bubble, the fact that they work doesn't mean they are all good enough,my twin works at GTB and his phones were stolen from his bag, later when the tapes from the CCTV were being played to unveil the culprit, GUESS WHAT? the picture was so blurry that they culdnt make out a darn thing yet they saw how the culprit performed the act but was FACELESS at day's end!
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Select(m): 1:30am On Jul 12, 2011
Nice one OP!
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by dipo2much(m): 8:14am On Jul 12, 2011
Everyone of us has to be very observant at ATMs. Being an electronic system, there will always be loopholes that the criminal will doing their researches to find. We must all take it upon ourselves to comb the ATM machine before inserting ur card. Its ur money afterall, u owe urself a responsibility of trying to safeguard it. The bank may try, but the nature of a machine is it could still be compromised
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by obongtunji: 9:14am On Jul 12, 2011
Thank GOD they did not attack you. Just destroy the device.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by blackis(m): 9:53am On Jul 12, 2011
@K2Kay

I bet the ones in and around the banks are in working condition!!   
Quote from: werepeLeri on Yesterday at 03:34:18 PM
All of them.
Sorry to bust your bubble, the fact that they work doesn't mean they are all good enough,my twin works at GTB and his phones were stolen from his bag, later when the tapes from the CCTV were being played to unveil the culprit, GUESS WHAT? the picture was so blurry that they culdnt make out a darn thing yet they saw how the culprit performed the act but was FACELESS at day's end!

Iam really sorry about your brother's loss and I hope the bank replaced his phone. Just as there could be many reasons for the installation of security camera's, individual needs vary widely too and this is reflected on what it is you want to capture, how much detail of the recordings you want to see, the size of the room you want to cover, the lighting condition of that room as well as the model/capability of the CCTV equipments itself etc etc. Ofcourse, one other very important aspect will be the personnel handling the installation, they have to be people who know what they are doing. Period!!

If all these are taken into consideration and applied professionally, what happened in your brother's case sure would never, ever repeat itself!! Trust me!
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jul 12, 2011
black is:

@K2Kay

I bet the ones in and around the banks are in working condition!!   
Quote from: werepeLeri on Yesterday at 03:34:18 PM
All of them.

Iam really sorry about your brother's loss and I hope the bank replaced his phone. Just as there could be many reasons for the installation of security camera's, individual needs vary widely too and this is reflected on what it is you want to capture, how much detail of the recordings you want to see, the size of the room you want to cover, the lighting condition of that room as well as the model/capability of the CCTV equipments itself etc etc. Ofcourse, one other very important aspect will be the personnel handling the installation, they have to be people who know what they are doing. Period!!

If all these are taken into consideration and applied professionally, what happened in your brother's case sure would never, ever repeat itself!! Trust me!

You cant be more correct.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Jeezy: 1:35pm On Jul 12, 2011
Considering that the technology for modern cards that are chip and pin (VERVE, mastercard, etc) makes it almost impossible to clone your card using that device, especially . So, the fraudsters cannot use ur card details to withdraw cash from another ATM.

The card details can however be used for online transactions. Most common nowadays are websites that allow u buy airtime top ups using the PAN (card number) and PIN.

So, if such happens to you, quickly contact your bank to deactivate your card. These scammers however are smart enough do the unauthorised transactions over the weekend when Banks are closed. In this case, victims watch helplessly as their accounts are debited by the minute for airtime top-ups.

The best way to avoid this unfortunate incidence is to protect your PIN, and do not use a guessable pin. Do not write your pin down-memorise it. Do not tell ANYONE your pin.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by werepeLeri: 2:01pm On Jul 12, 2011
This thread has shown that so many people are lucky accosting rogues. Please please please, the police even advices never to try to accost rougues. you never know if they are armed. dont try to be James Bond or else, you might just be very un lucky.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by agitator: 3:29pm On Jul 12, 2011
Jeezy:

Considering that the technology for modern cards that are chip and pin (VERVE, mastercard, etc) makes it almost impossible to clone your card using that device, especially . So, the fraudsters cannot use your card details to withdraw cash from another ATM.

The card details can however be used for online transactions. Most common nowadays are websites that allow u buy airtime top ups using the PAN (card number) and PIN.

So, if such happens to you, quickly contact your bank to deactivate your card. These scammers however are smart enough do the unauthorised transactions over the weekend when Banks are closed. In this case, victims watch helplessly as their accounts are debited by the minute for airtime top-ups.

The best way to avoid this unfortunate incidence is to protect your PIN, and do not use a guessable pin. Do not write your pin down-memorise it. Do not tell ANYONE your pin.

Who told you that a card cannot be cloned because it has a chip embedded. there are free software on the internet to clone a card provided you know the encryption technology (software) & password. Please don't deceive yourself and believe that rubbish they have been advertising.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Jeezy: 5:50pm On Jul 12, 2011
As far as i know, it is extremely difficult to clone a card. Users are just using their PIN online more often and there are several spyware available to capture such information.

The era of cloning cards was during magnetic striped cards, now the technology makes it a bit more difficult to clone the card. See below

See "It's very difficult if not impossible to clone the (chip and PIN) card," says Andi Coleman, a member of the Accredited Standards Committee X9, which determines standards for the financial industry in the U.S. "If you steal the card out of someone's wallet, you have to know the PIN in order to be able to use the card in a transaction."

from http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Are-chip-and-PIN-credit-cards-brn-3335348489.html?x=0&.v=1

I maintain that as long as you keep your pin to urself, u are safe.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by denzel2009: 5:56pm On Jul 12, 2011
Jeezy:

As far as i know, it is extremely difficult to clone a card. Users are just using their PIN online more often and there are several spyware available to capture such information.

The era of cloning cards was during magnetic striped cards, now the technology makes it a bit more difficult to clone the card. See below

See "It's very difficult if not impossible to clone the (chip and PIN) card," says Andi Coleman, a member of the Accredited Standards Committee X9, which determines standards for the financial industry in the U.S. "If you steal the card out of someone's wallet, you have to know the PIN in order to be able to use the card in a transaction."

from http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Are-chip-and-PIN-credit-cards-brn-3335348489.html?x=0&.v=1

I maintain that as long as you keep your pin to urself, u are safe.

You can't even use the card PIN online.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Jeezy: 6:10pm On Jul 12, 2011
You can. Several sites need the pin for authentication: quickteller.com, daynat.com arik air etc, The important thing to note here is that to avoid typing in the pin with the computer's keyboard. This is to beat keyloggers that capture sensitive information and relay them to the fraudster. Most sites provide virtual keypads to allow users type in ur pin for that purpose.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by denzel2009: 7:21pm On Jul 12, 2011
Jeezy:

You can. Several sites need the pin for authentication: quickteller.com, daynat.com arik air etc, The important thing to note here is that to avoid typing in the pin with the computer's keyboard. This is to beat keyloggers that capture sensitive information and relay them to the fraudster. Most sites provide virtual keypads to allow users type in your pin for that purpose.

Chei security vulnerability. If the computer you are using is within a botnet, your details will still get to the bad guys whether you type your pin with onscreen keyboard or not.

Security conscious organisations will not allow you to input your static card PINs online cos of shoulder surfing techniques.

If you use the same PIN you use on ATMs online, I'd advice you to desist from doing that. Banks these days provide you with calculator-like access code generator that generates authentication codes everytime you use or access your online account and it changes each time.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by logica(m): 9:56pm On Jul 12, 2011
You should just be tech-savvy that's all. For instance, you can't say you want to be trendy and do internet-banking, and then you go access your account at a cybercafe. And you can't be using an ATM without being sure it hasn't been tampered with. BTW, it is the responsibility of banks to secure their ATMs and they really should be taken up.

Banks these days provide you with calculator-like access code generator that generates authentication codes everytime you use or access your online account and it changes each time.
That is still insecure (if your computer has been hacked - trojan horse etc) as capturing the mouse clicks and knowing the screen resolution means you can identify which buttons were clicked. Please stay away from Windows if you want to be doing online transactions frequently.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by denzel2009: 10:32pm On Jul 12, 2011
logica:

That is still insecure (if your computer has been hacked - trojan horse etc) as capturing the mouse clicks and knowing the screen resolution means you can identify which buttons were clicked. Please stay away from Windows if you want to be doing online transactions frequently.
Very much safer cos the access code generated is useless after each online session. If the hacker is able to see the access code, it would be invalid if he tries to emulate it.

The safest solution is not to have anything to do with online transactions and stick to conventional over the counter banking activities or physical cash purchases.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by logica(m): 10:49pm On Jul 12, 2011
Sorry. I intended quoting this:

Most sites provide virtual keypads to allow users type in your pin for that purpose.

But even the access code thing is useless against a computer that has more or less become a "server"; the pwners will simply hijack your session and continue from where you left off.

And yes, "security" is only guaranteed by sticking to "counter banking or physical cash" but that brings a lot more issues that I would rather avoid. At least I can't get shot doing my online transactions.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by MrInfo1(m): 1:16am On Jul 13, 2011
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by MrInfo1(m): 1:37am On Jul 13, 2011
i guess this was one of the many reasons cbn directed banks to discontinue from using ATM machines at places not close to the bank premises

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote Refinery Will Fetch $6bn Forex Yearly - CBN / Between Opening A Driving School And Phone Accessories Shop. / Fruit Juice Packaging In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.