Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,272 members, 7,780,611 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:35 PM

Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? - Business (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? (27441 Views)

Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped / GTBank's Internet Banking Services...totally OVER-HYPED! / Sanusi Lamido Sanusi Interviewed On ABN Digital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by ektbear: 7:56pm On Jul 13, 2011
Hehe.

Let me not say anything I'll regret. At any rate, as I said before, it is probably best to ignore people who don't have anything useful to contribute to this thread.
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by Seun(m): 7:57pm On Jul 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hehe.

Let me not say anything I'll regret. At any rate, as I said before, it is probably best to ignore people who don't have anything useful to contribute to this thread.

Yeah, it is better.
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by manny4life(m): 8:07pm On Jul 13, 2011
lol, this is the funniest joke of the day

I majored in business? Howard University? Please brother there are better schools here in the DC VA area, better than Howard, since you are in the guessing game, please come up with a better school choice and perhaps a better major.  grin grin grin

Schooled baby Katz? 1,2, and 3? Why can't I laugh enough? Well since you know economics and accounting, what are u waiting on? G
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by naijaking1: 8:10pm On Jul 13, 2011
Ystranger:

Well, apart from manny4life who majored in Business at Howard, an HBCU with average SAT of 850 on the old SAT, no one here knows finance and economics that well, at least , not the OP and non of the other baby-katz(s) ( Thanks Ola Olabiyi wink), to my knowledge, majored in economics/finance/accounting/business in college.

That having been said, Ola olabiyi has shown superior knowledge WRT the topic than any of the other baby-katz. He performed exceptionally well taking on Baby-Katz I (Ekt-Bear), schooled Baby-Katz II ( manny), thoroughly embarrassed baby - Katz III (Dr. Naijaking) and humbled baby-katz IV, OAM4J, who also doubles as the OP's live-in partner.

More than that, brilliance isnt about always having the answer to things at your finger tips, because no one does. The most brilliant amongst us is he who knows how to find the answer. Think about it.

Did you say or contribute anything about the topic in question or did I just miss it?
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by Ystranger: 8:15pm On Jul 13, 2011
manny4life:

lol, this is the funniest joke of the day

I majored in business? Howard University? Please brother there are better schools here in the DC VA area, better than Howard, since you are in the guessing game, please come up with a better school choice and perhaps a better major.  grin grin grin

[b]ROFLMAO[/b]

I am officially taking you out of the baby-Katz group. I expected a real baby-Katz to get mad, like Katz would, and reveal more about yourself, but you did the opposite.

You seem to have a mature defense mechanism ( humor is one of the mature defense mechanisms found among emotionally healthy adults), atypical of Katz and baby-katzs
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by manny4life(m): 8:16pm On Jul 13, 2011
No doubt I really don't know Econs and Finance that well, at least I'm not claiming expertise on the subject matter but with modesty and persistence, I believe every one on here has their own. Now since you stated no one knows jack, why don't u engage in a more subtle, educative manner? Please, let us view your though and see your reasoning. After all, this won't be the first nor the last, there are tons of topics in Economics, relate it to the subject matter. For instance, I like to see how you reason on Inflation and Unemployment and how they co-relate together.

I laugh in Swahili, I will be more than glad to learn something different today grin grin grin grin

Ystranger:

[b]ROFLMAO[/b]

I am officially taking you out of the baby-Katz group. I expected a real baby-Katz to get mad, like Katz would, and reveal more about yourself, but you did the opposite.

You seem to have a mature defense mechanism ( humor is one of the mature defense mechanisms found among emotionally healthy adults), atypical of Katz and baby-katzs

Dude, I don't have to defend what I already know; that was the mistake Ola made. Something I know, I know and something I achieved, I did. This isn't a convincing game, it won't stop me from going to work tomorrow, it won't stop me from doing things I will do. I'm really not obligated to show more more so when it's really irrelevant.

I think it's about time we move past this; I really want people to share their ideas on two main topics affecting Nigeria

Inflation and Unemployment
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by ektbear: 8:25pm On Jul 13, 2011
I'm not even sure why some feel the need to personalize things. Just clear evidence that they have no clue what they are talking about and don't have any arguments to stand on.

I'm supposed to be offended by Baby Katz #1? By the same guy referencing some article on NigerDeltaCongress.com or whatever as evidence of intellectual horsepower and evidence of his ability as an economist?

Hehe. No wonder Nigeria is in the bad state it is. A thorough love and celebration of mediocrity.

Sanusi mentioned in the same sentence as Paul Krugman? I dey laff o
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by naijaking1: 8:35pm On Jul 13, 2011
Ystranger:

[b]ROFLMAO[/b]

Please let the records indicate that you have nothing to contribute to topic of this thread except personal insults and innuendos, then we can move on to bigger and better ideas.
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by Ystranger: 8:39pm On Jul 13, 2011

Hehe. No wonder Nigeria is in the bad state it is. A thorough love and celebration of mediocrity.

Interesting! Coming from someone who thinks Tinubu is God.

Anyway, no biggie.

In Musiwa I trust.
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by ektbear: 8:48pm On Jul 13, 2011
I think Tinubu is a god? Wtf? Alright, time to take my own advice and ignore the troll.

Anyway, hopefully this discussion can be moved back to Sanusi.
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by nagoma(m): 3:00pm On Jul 14, 2011
You mean this Katsumoto thread is not concluded and SLS is still the CBN governor? Katz; I will advise you to find time in your very busy schedule to sit with Sanusi. You may persuade him to resign and then you can have some peace. Your resentment is perhaps of a more personal nature.
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by iragbijile: 3:10pm On Jul 14, 2011
nagoma:

You mean this Katsumoto thread is not concluded and SLS is still the CBN governor? Katz; I will advise you to find time in your very busy schedule to sit with Sanusi. You may persuade him to resign and then you can have some peace. Your resentment is perhaps of a more personal nature.

Seconded!

Katsumoto for CBN governor!

Only Katsumoto can do it. The All knowing GOD of NL.

The All seeing, all knowing God who sees all, knows all, and is capable of doing NO wrong in the eyes of many a million baby-Katzs
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 14, 2011
u men have all have spoken intelligently. 08063896204
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by Katsumoto: 5:37pm On Jul 14, 2011
Jarus:

Is Sanusi brilliant? Very. In fact -with due respect to northerners here-he's the most brilliant northerner I have ever known(I may be wrong)

Is he overhyped?
Capital NO. If anything, he's underrated, maybe due to the part of the country he is from, because if this man had been from another part, questions would not have arisen about his tribe/religion.

Is he a mediocre? A mediocre will not post this performance at a global stage: http://www.proshareng.com/articles/2264

Does Sanusi have only 12 years of banking experience?
Lie from the pit of hell. He was with ICON Merchant Banks rising to Area Manager, Kano 1985-1991; UBA/FBN 1997-2009. That is 6+12=18 years. Not knowing the no of years of experience one's subject of criticism has, doesn't speak well of a critic. One can be forgiven accusing the critic of working from answer to question or deliberately twisting facts.

Is 18 years banking experience enough to become CBN boss?

It's enough. If you haven't known your industry so well in 18 years, you will not know it in 40 years.
If he is good enough to become GCEO of one of Africa's largest Financial Groups, he is good enough to direct the economy.
The Group CFO of my company(one of Africa's leading Energy Groups) had 1st & 2nd degrees in Engrg, and did some courses in Finance plus ACA, with less than 15 years experience in Finance, drives the Financial strategy of the group so effectively today. He will easily do well as Accountant General of Nigeria or Finance Minister(his personal attributes held constant). Why the fuss about Sanusi having 12 or 18 years banking experience?

He did not have Msc?
Another lie. He has Msc Econs in ABU 83; B.Sc 1981. If this was lie, his school would have denied this claim, or more likely, Renaissance Professionals or other critics would have dug out this and scandalized it like Toronto. In fact, I even read his interview around 2009 where he said one of his greatest regrets is postponing his Phd application many times due to busy schedules.

TBC

I am just seeing this post Jarus; thanks for your response.

If you go to the very first post, you will observe that I wrote CONSECUTIVE before 12 years. Was that a wrong assessment? Do you honestly believe that experience before a long period of absence (6 years in this case) counts anywhere in the world where nepotism doesn't play a part? Perhaps in professions where natural talent is the main factor like music, art,etc. Even in sport, a 6 year hiatus is such a long time that you have to start at the bottom if you decide to return.

That article in the CFA was clearly written by someone who admires Sanusi; perhaps someone like yourself. How possible is it that Sanusi was the only speaker to receive a standing ovation in a four day conference? Nigerian journalism at its best. The listeners at conference are unlikely to be experts on the Nigerian economy so can not make good judges of his policies. The proper judges of Sanusi's policies are Nigerians and those that have a deep understanding of the Nigerian economy and context. You seriously want to use a speech as a measure brilliance? If that were the case, orators would be the most brilliant people; Balewa and Kingibe would be the most brilliant Northerners.

I noticed that you only addressed some issues, what about the other questions (I repost again for your benefit)

1. Is it within the remit of a Central Bank Governor to be a regulator and competitor at the same time? This is with regards to Sanusi's objective of entering the commodities market, real estate (hotels, shopping, conference centre, etc), poultry farming, etc. As an economics graduate, according to another poster, what are your thoughts on this?

2. Do you think Sanusi conducted a review of the operations of First Bank as he did other banks in August 2009? If he did, do you think he was objective?

3. Like SLS, you are an ardent follower of Islam. Why do you believe that an ardent Muslim should be involved in the collection of Riba, of which SLS is still guilty of at this point in time? If the Holy Book is clear on Riba (the words of Holy Prophet Mohammed are VERY CLEAR on this), why should SLS or any other ardent Muslim ignore this clear message? Would you similarly excuse a Muslim selling non-Halal meat to Muslims and non-Muslims alike or would you excuse a Muslim working in an alcohol brewery? I know you tried to answer to answer this question the last time but your answer was unsatisfactory. I urge you to think this through before answering. The words of God are not to be changed by men seeking to gain an advantage in the world.

4. Considering the extreme difficulties experienced in other countries in implementing Islamic Banking and the continued difficulty in resolving those issues, why do you think it is advisable for a Muslim CBN Governor to continue to push for the establishment of Islamic Banking beyond the normal duties of providing guidelines and framework?

5. Considering the religious intolerance which continues to pervade the social fabric of Nigeria, do you think it is irresponsible on the part of certain Muslim individuals, SLS included, to continue to push this agenda at the risk of inflaming an already enraged and mistrusting population?

6. What are your views about Sanusi's increase of the money supply (by $4 Billion) in an economy with double digit inflation, considering that the increased supply was to rescue banks that were not suffering immediate liquidity problems?

Many will draw their own conclusions stemming from the answers you give or whether you decide to respond at all. Thanks
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by nagoma(m): 7:25pm On Jul 14, 2011
KATSUMOTO     We seem to be going in circles regarding some of your questions ,I wonder how you can measure and individuals faith or concience simply because he is a scholar in Islam. Faith is in the mind and has no objective external measurement where you can say - a man of this level of faith cannot do that. I cannot measure Sanusi's faith but know that he has considerable knowlegde of islamic theology , but many people who are not even muslims, (christians and jews) pocess such education. Sanusi has been attacked by some muslims on some of his writings and some people actually dont share your view about how ardent a muslim he is .http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/articles_written_by_sanusi_l.htm , but i hasten to say that all of you and them are wrong , because faith is in the heart and only god knows the measure of ones faith. "And whether ye hide your word or publish it, He certainly has (full) knowledge, of the secrets of (all) hearts" (Quran 67.13) .
The se injuctions about ursury are also in the bible and many Nairalanders have brought the quotations - is the Bible not God's word? The words of God are not to be changed by men seeking to gain advantage in the world. Quoting you. Is this not applicable to the word of God in the Bible? Or has God recalled those words?
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by nagoma(m): 7:32pm On Jul 14, 2011
@Katsumoto - "Considering religious intolerance which continues to pervade, ",  Opposition to the Interst free Islamic banking that you are promoting is glaringly a major intolerance that we are trying to avoid , we all enjoy Judeo christian modes of doing things including banking but you are so adamant - blinded by hatred that an option must not be given because the banking system has the name Islamic attached to it , cant you see? sad
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by kq(m): 7:49pm On Jul 14, 2011
3. Like SLS, you are an ardent follower of Islam. Why do you believe that an ardent Muslim should be involved in the collection of Riba, of which SLS is still guilty of at this point in time? If the Holy Book is clear on Riba (the words of Holy Prophet Mohammed are VERY CLEAR on this), why should SLS or any other ardent Muslim ignore this clear message? Would you similarly excuse a Muslim selling non-Halal meat to Muslims and non-Muslims alike or would you excuse a Muslim working in an alcohol brewery? I know you tried to answer to answer this question the last time but your answer was unsatisfactory. I urge you to think this through before answering. The words of God are not to be changed by men seeking to gain an advantage in the world.

What exactly is the point you going about with the question above. Katsumoto i appreciate your efforts in trying to be objective as far as possible but your question above sounds to me like you just want to discredit SLS or just want to discredit him as a Muslim. I am no lover of SLS i am opposed or do have some opposing views as regards his work. As regards your question yes it is true a muslim shoudnt be involved in taking or issuing Riba and there is no doubt about that among even muslims and scholars of Islam and am sure even SLS does not doubt that, what scholars/muslims then argue is seeing the kind of society we live in with no workplace that support Islamic ethics and i have to find a job to provide for myself and my family can i take a job with an Interest based conventional institution, it is in this opinions differ some would tell you to take the job but remember to pursue every other opportunity that gets you out of the job others will tell you no dont take it. Now am sure SLS does not portay himself as a perfect muslim and i sure do know to the best of my knowledge he hasnt made such statements but him working with an interest bearing institution is something btw him and his Lord and not for us to judge him by depending on the circumstances. An arguement in the same vein is the fact Muslims dont consume pork but then if you find yourself as a muslim with only pork meat as the only means of survival of course go ahead and eat it so you dont die but if there are alternatives then go ahead and take the alternatives. And if you have to be honest this is the same attitude and behavior with all religions not just Islam; The religion says one thing and the faithfuls do the other. It just depends in what light we want to view the circumstances of the faithfuls actions. So i believe your question would apply even to Soludo himself or even to any Nigeria who claims one religion or the other why do we as human beings ignore the messages of our so called professed faiths.

Am sorry i wont be able to comment on your other questions as i am no economist or cant really judge SLS expertise on most financial issues but as regards Islamic banking all i can say is the following
1. Yes it is a form of Non-Interest banking but it is also more than that it has its rules based on the tenets of a religion doesnt mean non-muslims cannot make use of it if they want and its evolution and development as to be in conformity with the rules of the religion. That is why its more or less a subset of Non-interest banking as its focus is doing financial transactions based on rules specified in Islam. In academic circles it is recognised as a form of finance/banking system.

2. I am personally of the opinion that SLS as not handled the publicity that goes with the whole issue well. His responses to the questions raised by the public have not been satisfactory enough even to me.

3. It seems like we the public are also guilty of creating sentiments on the issue. Turning it into an issue of Muslims vs Christians, North vs South just does not  help us all. The media have also not helped with the way some statements are put into writing and making it sound like its a ploy to turn the whole country over to Islam or something i dont really see how thats going to happen.
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by ektbear: 9:03pm On Jul 14, 2011
nagoma:

we all enjoy Judeo christian modes of doing things including banking

Two questions:
1) What is Judeo-Christian banking
2) Where is it practiced? In particular, is it practiced in Nigeria, Japan, China, and India?
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by Katsumoto: 10:36pm On Jul 14, 2011
kq:

What exactly is the point you going about with the question above. Katsumoto i appreciate your efforts in trying to be objective as far as possible but your question above sounds to me like you just want to discredit SLS or just want to discredit him as a Muslim. I am no lover of SLS i am opposed or do have some opposing views as regards his work. As regards your question yes it is true a muslim shoudnt be involved in taking or issuing Riba and there is no doubt about that among even muslims and scholars of Islam and am sure even SLS does not doubt that, what scholars/muslims then argue is seeing the kind of society we live in with no workplace that support Islamic ethics and i have to find a job to provide for myself and my family can i take a job with an Interest based conventional institution, it is in this opinions differ some would tell you to take the job but remember to pursue every other opportunity that gets you out of the job others will tell you no dont take it. Now am sure SLS does not portay himself as a perfect muslim and i sure do know to the best of my knowledge he hasnt made such statements but him working with an interest bearing institution is something btw him and his Lord and not for us to judge him by depending on the circumstances. An arguement in the same vein is the fact Muslims dont consume pork but then if you find yourself as a muslim with only pork meat as the only means of survival of course go ahead and eat it so you dont die but if there are alternatives then go ahead and take the alternatives. And if you have to be honest this is the same attitude and behavior with all religions not just Islam; The religion says one thing and the faithfuls do the other. It just depends in what light we want to view the circumstances of the faithfuls actions. So i believe your question would apply even to Soludo himself or even to any Nigeria who claims one religion or the other why do we as human beings ignore the messages of our so called professed faiths.

Thank you for your post.

I can't really disagree with you on the basis that religion is a personal matter between an individual and his God. People just take you less seriously if you act contrary to your beliefs. What I was trying to highlight is Sanusi's hypocrisy. Not that others aren't hypocrites from time to time but public officials are under public scrutiny and have to be careful with regards to their utterances and actions. SLS is the CBN Governor and by writing mainly Islamic related articles and speeches, he has made himself some sort religious crusader. He isn't the first Muslim CBN Governor; others were Mai Borno, Adamu Ciroma, and Ahmed. But it is hard to criticise past Muslim Governors or other Muslims working in banks because they probably separate their professional lives from the personal lives.

That position is further exacerbated by SLS pushing Islamic Banking beyond the confines of what is expected of a Central Bank Governor. If a man's beliefs, religious or otherwise, do not stand in the way of his performing his duties, then there shouldn't be a problem. But what if a man tries to make atonement for past actions and uses his office? For instance, what if SLS is pushing this Islamic Banking issue because he is trying to make up for working in Riba taking institutions? Is that idea too far-fetched considering Sanusi's antecedents? Perhaps, this is conjecture but there is a reason why SLS is pushing Islamic Banking despite its failings elsewhere and its likely vituperations in Nigeria. If we ignore religion, what else can we point to as being responsible for his actions (Islamic Banking)?

I am merely giving an opinion on this particular point.
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by olaolabiy: 11:27pm On Jul 14, 2011
My apologies if any poster here felt offended by the term "baby-Katz". It's an unwarranted, angry outburst.

I am really sorry.
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by ektbear: 11:40pm On Jul 14, 2011
No worries man. Ultimately we are all on the same team here smiley
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 15, 2011
@Katz,
The post was not visible before because spambot thought it was a spam and not only tagged it, it also banned me. It's now been reinstated and I also unbanned. If that happened to another member, they would have said we are banning people/deleting posts that are anti-Sanusi.

That's just for the records, I'll take each of your questions and answer them in the next few hours by God's grace. They will require long typing and I've got no time for that now.
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by Katsumoto: 4:08pm On Jul 15, 2011
Jarus:

@Katz,
The post was not visible before because spambot thought it was a spam and not only tagged it, it also banned me. It's now been reinstated and I also unbanned. If that happened to another member, they would have said we are banning people/deleting posts that are anti-Sanusi.

That's just for the records, I'll take each of your questions and answer them in the next few hours by God's grace. They will require long typing and I've got no time for that now.

Jarus

No sweat; I was scared for a minute, I thought you took a leave of absence because of this thread. grin grin grin grin

WRT your comments about being banned, I have been banned three times on this thread alone with the posts responsible for the ban also tagged. You can verify from Seun, Mukina and OAM4J but I didn't resort to any conspiracy theories. Perhaps others were banned but to the best of my knowledge, no one screamed conspiracy. cool

ola olabiy:

My apologies if any poster here felt offended by the term "baby-Katz". It's an unwarranted, angry outburst.

I am really sorry.

Yes I am seriously vexed. angry

Just Kidding Ola grin

We cool
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by naijaking1: 7:13pm On Jul 15, 2011
ola olabiy:

I am really sorry.

No offence. I proud to applaud Katsumoto for his versed knowledge. As a surgeon, I have some specialized skills, but I'm not as informed as Katz in the liberal arts of history, religion-Islam/Christianity, and even economics. So, I didn't take any offence at all grin
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 15, 2011
Part 1
Almost two years into his stewardship at the apex bank, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi receives a down-to-earth appraisal of his banking ‘reforms’ by AKPABIO UMOYEN-ESSIEN, an Ontario, Canada-based financial analyst and consultant to leading international financial and development institutions.

CURRENT Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi chose the Bayero University, Kano in February 2010 to outline his vision for Nigeria’s banking sector reforms, eight months into its implementation. He said his strategy for the Nigerian banking sector (if he still remembers, given that there is yet no documented Blueprint) will be based on four pillars namely:

• Enhancing the quality of banks;

• Establishing financial stability;

• Enabling healthy financial sector evolution; and

• Ensuring the financial sector contributes to the real economy

He was full of fire and zeal and high on the euphoria of public praise after sacking the managing directors of eight banks. Two years on, how has the CBN Governor fared on his outlined goals for the Nigerian banking sector? Few discerning analysts were quick to point out that the reform agenda as outlined above was vague.

The quality of banks: The question is: What are the criteria to measure the quality of a bank. Is it quality of services, quality of the bank’s board, management and staff, quality of financial reporting or all of these combined. The CBN Governor never defined the criteria of quality of banks so it is quite difficult to measure him on this goal.

But we want to assume that when he said quality, he meant all the criteria we outlined above. So we look at quality of services of banks under two years of Sanusi. What policies have Sanusi put in place to enhance the quality of services of Nigerian banks?

Forgive us, but we cannot find anything Sanusi has done to increase the quality of services of Nigerian banks. What we find is that Sanusi’s actions have actually compounded the quality of service delivery in the banking sector. What Sanusi’s hasty reforms have done is to reduce the banking options in the Nigerian banking sector putting pressure on a few banks. Several reports, including banks’ returns to CBN for 2009 compared with 2010 have shown that four banks now control nearly 50 per cent of the market in the banking industry from ten banks that controlled this same share of the banking industry before Sanusi. On deposits, for instance, these four banks have N4.5 trillion out of N10.7 trillion deposits in the banking system.

The significance of this concentration of the Nigerian banking space is obvious on the impact this has had on the quality of service delivery. Beside poor services, customers are also subjected to pay all forms of charges by these leading banks as customers have little choice. . .

Whoever wrote this has finished SLS.
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by naijaking1: 7:17pm On Jul 15, 2011
Jarus:

@Katz,

Welcome back, I was surprised you too was banned. I could have sworn it was impossible.
Sanusi, doesn't have an MSc in economics, unless the one you awarded him here on N/L. Just post the link.
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by ektbear: 7:24pm On Jul 15, 2011
Though I posed these questions to a particular poster, anyone who likes is free to answer.

In a nutshell, I think branding the current banking system popular in Nigeria and the rest of the world as "Judeo-Christian" is inaccurate.

ekt_bear:

Two questions:
1) What is Judeo-Christian banking
2) Where is it practiced? In particular, is it practiced in Nigeria, Japan, China, and India?
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by iragbijile: 7:57pm On Jul 15, 2011
naijaking1:

Welcome back, I was surprised you too was banned. I could have sworn it was impossible.
Sanusi, doesn't have an MSc in economics, unless the one you awarded him here on N/L. Just post the link.

Sup Baby-Katz III: I agree with you, Sanusi is empty, as alluded to by your father, Big Katz, the infallible OP. All those claiming he has an MSc are all liars, merely attaching MSc to his resume to curry favor with the CBN boss. What a bunch of twats they all are. After all, It is well known that to become the CBN boss, and to be competent at running the CBN, a MSc is an absolute necessity, barest minimum needed to do well at CBN as a matter of fact. Little wonder the guy is messing up. It all comes down to his lack of MSc degree. No be so?  Very very intellectual point you've raised. Very factual, just like Father Katz. Intellectual par excellence you all are, debating facts with no personal insults, sentiments and hear-says, unlike me an air-head who contributes nada to threads. When I grow up, I just wanna be like you all (baby-Katzs, Katz,  and the rebel turned lilly-livered baby-Katz-anti-Katz-Pro-Katz flip flopper, professor Ola Olabiyi)

Sanusi Lamido Aminu Sanusi (. July 31, 1961), Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria and  the grandson of a former Emir of Kano and Islamic Scholar, Alhaji Muhammadu Sanusi. He started his western education at St. Anne Primary School, Kakuri, Kaduna (1967-1972). He had his West African School Certificate at the prestigious King’s College, Lagos in 1977. He then proceeded to the equally prestigious Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria where he bagged a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics in 1981 and he did the course work for Master of Science degree in Economics with distinction in Monetary Policy in 1983. He earlier did his National Youth Service in former Gongola State (now Adamawa and Taraba States).

http://www.africansuccess.org/visuFiche.php?id=871&lang=en

http://www.weforum.org/contributors/sanusi-lamido-sanusi
http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=4086
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by ektbear: 8:39pm On Jul 15, 2011
It would be nice if he had some sort of postgraduate training in economics, yes. Especially given that almost all of his peers I could find have the same qualification.

BTW, I am curious:
1) If he did indeed get this MS in 1983, and also completed his youth service in Gongola State, then did he complete this MS in one year? It appears that at least right now at ABU, the MS is a 2 year program. Were things different in the early 80s?
2) Why doesn't he make any mention of this MS on his official profile on the CBN website?
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by VoodooDoll(m): 9:22pm On Jul 15, 2011
Maybe he "flunked" the MSc Economics course.

What does "taken" MSc Economics classes mean, Or was he rusticated for extra-curricular activities?
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by olaolabiy: 9:43pm On Jul 15, 2011
naijaking1:

No offence. I proud to applaud Katsumoto for his versed knowledge. As a surgeon, I have some specialized skills, but I'm not as informed as Katz in the liberal arts of history, religion-Islam/Christianity, and even economics. So, I didn't take any offence at all grin
Good for you, Sir. And, what a great career you have there. Thanks for telling us something about your career.

Yeah! I like Katsumoto too. However, I have discovered that it is better to read as well; not just follow. If you know what I mean.

Because, in this case, I had a point. I mean examples, even in the Western/BRIC countries. I was not just too keen to take it further.

I hope we know that SECURENCY is NOW a joint venture part-owned by the Reserve Bank of Australia (Their Central Bank). The other owners are in London.

http://www.securency.com.au/

Take care.
Re: Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? by kq(m): 10:33pm On Jul 15, 2011
That position is further exacerbated by SLS pushing Islamic Banking beyond the confines of what is expected of a Central Bank Governor. If a man's beliefs, religious or otherwise, do not stand in the way of his performing his duties, then there shouldn't be a problem. But what if a man tries to make atonement for past actions and uses his office? For instance, what if SLS is pushing this Islamic Banking issue because he is trying to make up for working in Riba taking institutions? Is that idea too far-fetched considering Sanusi's antecedents? Perhaps, this is conjecture but there is a reason why SLS is pushing Islamic Banking despite its failings elsewhere and its likely vituperations in Nigeria. If we ignore religion, what else can we point to as being responsible for his actions (Islamic Banking)?

I am merely giving an opinion on this particular point.

@Katsumoto i think you are now trying to delve into SLS mind and find the motive for trying to push Islamic banking, that will be something only he can answer. But the most important is whatever is reason might be lets not forget that Non-Interest banking in particular Islamic banking had been in the works before SLS ever bacame CBN gov. JAIZ bank did get a license during Soludos time but their efforts got a setback due to the increase in bank recapitalisation. Besides whether he is using at a form of repentance or not i dont see all banks starting an islamic banking arm or new banks just springing up under the guise of islamic banking. It is obvious to everybody that it is a form of banking, the blame for all the noise on this issue lies with both SLS and we the public imagine the Methodist Prelate saying just because of the word Islamic it is wrong thats like saying just because their is a cross on the Red Cross then it infringes on a muslims right. Now i blame SLS for some his utterances which are ill timed more often than not and dont address the publics yearning for more info hence making him guilty of putting the public at the mercy of CAN and media of course both this sources will definitely not root for anything associated with Islam not because they hate Islam but due to sentimental reasons.

I think we should put more focus on his works as CBN gov than just trying to pin a conspiracy on trying to Islamize Nigeria on him. i dont see any possibility of just turning every nook and cranny of Nigeria over to any religion in particular happening.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Google CEO, Sundar Pichai Visits Nigeria (photos) / What Can I Import From New York And Sell In Nigeria? / Mini Importation Business, Am I Going Crazy Or What?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.