Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,846 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:00 AM

Peugeot 308 Is Not 307 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot 308 Is Not 307 (2665 Views)

Can A Peugeot 307 Work As An Uber Car? / The Problematic Peugeot 307 / Peugeot 308 Next-gen Launching On 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peugeot 308 Is Not 307 by Ikenna351(m): 10:15pm On Apr 30, 2022
Is becoming normal to open bonnets of Nigerian used T7 308 Auto and find TU5JP4 engines instead, while on car inspections. Peugeot claimed they never produced hatchaback/SW 308 Auto with that engine, but Nigerians are insisting otherwise. At least, that's what every seller would say. At most, "that's how I bought the car."

The conversion of the VTi 120 to the TU5JP4 engines is not my concern, but disposing the car after the miracle engines have been transplanted in, contradict the reason for these conversions. Recently, someone advertised a T7 with EW10J4 engine for sale and swore that was what Peugeot produced the car with from new, even the VIN clearly stated otherwise. The instrument panel was constantly in demo mode, as he kept narrating how good the car had served him. Again, the conversion is not the issue, the crude transplants most Nigerians do to their vehicles in the name of conversion is disheartening.

The idea that any mechanic can work on 308 is part of these T7 nightmares. After all, if they can work on 307, 308 shouldn't be a problem. The fact that some users don't even know these differences contribute more to the fate these cars find themselves as soon they touch their shoes on Nigerian soil (the engines, to be specific).

The VTi 120 engines and other EP6 engines in T7 have different timing set up, diagnosis and repair approach6 to the T5 & T6. Having this understanding is one step to avoid wrecking those engines. Some users had to change engines more than once before they went with the option of conversion to TU5JP4. Sometimes, not because those engines were bad, but because someone lack the ability to put the engines back the way they were supposed to be and run.

To be direct, if you know you are not willing to increase your maintenance cost on these EP6 engines in T7, when coming from older lions like the T5 & T6, then you are part of the problem. Not long ago, someone got angry that I demanded diagnostic fee from him to troubleshoot his T7 giving him issues, because no one has ever charged money for diagnosis from the previous Lions he used, he angrily claimed. I always wonder why people with such mindset avoid cars like 404 & 504 like plague, yet have the outdated maintenance culture of cars of the '60s. An average T7 posses minimum of about 10 computers that control every part of the vehicle, yet you prefer the cut and join electrical diagnosis?

Few T7 had non EP6 engines from new, like the TU5JP4 you can only get in Stick-Shift or the EW10A with Auto or manual options. Aside these few engines, the rest need special timing tools to get the timings right. Few have figured out how to do it without those tools, but usually take longer than it should than the right tools. They are not TU engines.

Their Recommended Engine oils may cost more than the others, but that's part of the cost of owning a newer engine. You are not buying them to please Lion-King Monk or show the world you have money. You do it to prolong your engine life, save money and keep your sanity intact. Just wish some of these users would understand how bad these wrong oils mess up these EP6 engines, while they complain how bad these engines have dealt with them. Personally, you are better off with the Saloon version of this T7 (the 408), if you can't do without abuse of engines, since they are more common with EW10A over here. Notwithstanding, EW10A doesn't forgive when abused. But compared to abuse on EP6 engines, that's Pugatory at least.

If you can't afford to pay a little bit higher to knowledgeable Technicians with right expensive tools to diagnose or repair your T7, then invest in scan/diagnostic tools at least, which cost less than 5% of T7 purchase cost. Learn the dos and donts of T7 and apply. Don't go and buy one blindly because the car can start and move, if you lack the knowledge of detecting abused/messed up ones. Even after reading this, some will still go ahead. But then, I can't save everyman.

Lion-King Monk.

2 Likes

Re: Peugeot 308 Is Not 307 by mobolaji234: 12:34am On May 01, 2022
Wahala wear kokoshoe...
Never again....

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 308 Is Not 307 by boundlezz(m): 7:53am On Jul 31, 2022
Boss. Good day. Been following up on your post. I own a 307 2005 quicksilver (manual). Recently, when am on top speed, I would hear a mound notice from under the car where the exhaust joins,. This sound could be for few seconds. Then everything becomes normal again. It doesn't happen every day. Car starts fine and engine runs well. But my check engine light is on. Thanks
Re: Peugeot 308 Is Not 307 by eddiense: 7:15am On Sep 24, 2022
Ikenna351:

If you can't afford to pay a little bit higher to knowledgeable Technicians with right expensive tools to diagnose or repair your T7, then invest in scan/diagnostic tools at least, which cost less than 5% of T7 purchase cost. Learn the dos and donts of T7 and apply. Don't go and buy one blindly because the car can start and move, if you lack the knowledge of detecting abused/messed up ones. Even after reading this, some will still go ahead. But then, I can't save everyman.

Lion-King Monk.

Please do you have TU5JP4 AL4 valve body
Re: Peugeot 308 Is Not 307 by Rinoxy: 10:21pm On Nov 23, 2022
mobolaji234:
Wahala wear kokoshoe...
Never again....
Sir, was ur experience with the 307 or 308?

(1) (Reply)

Help On Excessive Fuel Consumption / 2014 Range Rover Sport Unveiled [photos] / Lastma Fines Vs Frsc Fines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.