Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,344 members, 7,808,211 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) (33735 Views)

Lagos Teacher Beats Student To Death For Not Answering Maths Question Correctly / Grammarians, Who Can Correctly Fill In The Spaces In These Sentences? / Which Of These Sentences Gave You Joy While You Were In Secondary School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Teejay13(m): 8:29am On May 03, 2022
The third is correct
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Learner247: 8:29am On May 03, 2022
Sentences B and C are correct.

B has the Oxford comma.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by CHII2017(f): 8:29am On May 03, 2022
The third sentence
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by DryMouth: 8:30am On May 03, 2022
Ahmed0336:
The second sentence is correct.
Omo..
Dull pple full Nigeria o.
How is the second one correct?
Na the 3rd one correct
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Olam09(m): 8:31am On May 03, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:
English scholars in the house!!!

The third line. An author wouldn't mistaken this.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Ekugbeh(m): 8:31am On May 03, 2022
Third
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Pascaldebravoo: 8:31am On May 03, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:

Number 2 is correct.

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Franking: 8:31am On May 03, 2022
Th third option is correct.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Mrmanability: 8:31am On May 03, 2022
The third line
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by beautygboel(f): 8:32am On May 03, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:
Sentence 2

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Olam09(m): 8:32am On May 03, 2022
DryMouth:

Omo..
Dull pple full Nigeria o.
How is the second one correct?
Na the 3rd one correct

Thank you my brother.
You'll need butter, milk, flour and eggs.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Coolbadguy: 8:32am On May 03, 2022
You'ill need butter,milk,flour and eggs.
The correct one.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by code9(m): 8:34am On May 03, 2022
All of them are wrong.
The correct sentence should be:
You'll need; butter, milk, flour, and eggs.

DamnnNiggarr:

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by CORRECTMAN78(m): 8:35am On May 03, 2022
Na option B. The answer no hiding nah.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by ScaffoldCON: 8:35am On May 03, 2022
brandsoncharlie:

Can you answer this question.

The fourth sentence, the comma after the And is called.

I'll be honest, I don't know a name for it. However, I cannot deny the usage. Unfortunately it's rare and it's something people who are detailed will argue.

What I mean is, if I write a sentence and it crosses my mind to use that comma style, I will avoid it - it's a questionable usage.

But the commonly used like I said is the American style; yet, it has it's limits. Like someone pointed out, sometimes you have to maintain consistency in your style and use of language - AmE or BrE.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Shebbs: 8:36am On May 03, 2022
None
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by shegz24(m): 8:36am On May 03, 2022
It's wrong to put a comma before "and"
LadiesForever:
Number 2...

You'll need butter, milk, flour, and eggs.

Puff Puff loading....
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by shegz24(m): 8:37am On May 03, 2022
The third one is correct.

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Alexprech: 8:38am On May 03, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:
C
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by geezynoni: 8:38am On May 03, 2022
No 2.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by ikpumbe(m): 8:39am On May 03, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
You need education to understand that not all Muslim name you see are for Northerner.

You're saying if my Muslim name is used for my Moniker, I'm automatically Northerner? Sic

Meanwhile, he's correct. Most will go for third but the second sentence is well punctuated

You failed again
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by gurunlocker: 8:39am On May 03, 2022
ogascomax:

Second cannot be correct. When listen items you don't use comma before the and. You use and to end your listen. You don't use comma for the first item and with the last item also.

That's old rule, go and read more about it.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Abassmt: 8:40am On May 03, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:
no 2 is the correct one.
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Light78: 8:40am On May 03, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:

You will need butter, milk, flour, and eggs.

The second sentence is correct. Team B

What people are missing is the last two items.

The confusion here is the comma before "and"

When it comes to a list, use a comma. They are independent.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by timilehin007(m): 8:41am On May 03, 2022
B 100%...this one na Js3 test nah
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by marlboro007(m): 8:42am On May 03, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:
the third sentence
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Mystique8(f): 8:43am On May 03, 2022
The second sentence.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by DryMouth: 8:44am On May 03, 2022
Olam09:

Thank you my brother.
They are putting comma around a conjunction which is wrong
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by favour32(m): 8:44am On May 03, 2022
Ogbeni!
Na third na cool
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Nobody: 8:45am On May 03, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:

While many Nigerians would say the third one is correct (You'll need butter, milk, flour and eggs) since that was how we were taught in school, the second one includes an Oxford comma in between "flour" and "and". (You'll need butter, milk, flour, and eggs)

The Oxford comma improves readability and removes ambiguity. It is correct too, but not everyone uses it. A lot do, but not everyone.

So, the second and third are correct, but if you see this in a Nigerian test or exam, you should pick the third one since it has no Oxford comma.

But English teachers (who know what they're doing) usually avoid situations like this because some will pick the second, and it'd be wrong to mark them wrong. You're putting two correct answers in a list of options and asking people to pick one.

But whoever set this question doesn't know what he/she is doing. Even the question is wrong: "Which of the sentences below uses commas correctly?"

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Dronyemachi53(m): 8:45am On May 03, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:

The third one...
Re: Which Of These Sentences Used Commas Correctly? (Screenshot) by Rodcell: 8:46am On May 03, 2022
Killmaster1:
The second.take note

Wrong...Comma is used before "and" when it is used to include an independent clause.

The 3rd one is corrected

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A School Named After Sir Emeka Offor In Katsina State (Photo) / See Why The Qwerty Keyboard Is Not Arranged Alphabetically / MTN Foundation Scholarship Scheme For Undergraduates 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.