Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister (16347 Views)

ASUU members, How Do You Cope Without Salary? / IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba / We Are Considering Reopening Schools After Interstate Travel Ban- Emeka Nwajiuba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by adenigga(m): 1:32am On May 03, 2022
The Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, has said it doesn’t make sense for members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities to continue to earn salaries while on strike.

The PUNCH reports that ASUU began one month warning strike on February 14, 2022 and since then has not suspended its industrial action.

Speaking to The PUNCH in a telephone interview on Sunday, Nwajiuba said, “The lecturers have continued to earn salaries while on strike; it doesn’t make sense to earn salaries when you have refused to work.

“If you refuse to even pay them, by the time they call off the strike, they will still come back to fight for the payment of the period they refused to work.

“You can air your grievances, come to the negotiation table without refusing to work. The issue of the strike has become a thing of concern. I have four children; two have graduated while the other two are still in public universities. I feel for them, I feel for other students who are at home. I feel the same way other parents feel, but can I bring money from my house and give it to ASUU?

“The Ministry of Education isn’t the employer of the lecturers, we are a supervisory body, and there is no way we can fire or hire someone. Universities have governing councils that supervise the activities that go on, our job as in the ministry is to supervise, we can’t meddle in.

“On the issue of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System, I am also paid via the IPPIS, it is owned by the government, there is no way you can tell the government to throw away its platform and pay you with another platform.”

Meanwhile, the President of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, Mohammed Ibrahim, has accused the Federal Government of focusing on frivolous things and neglecting the education sector and the youths.

Speaking during the 2022 May Day celebration in Abuja on Sunday, Ibrahim said the universities were forced to shut down due to government insincerity, adding that the standard of education had continued to go down.

He stated, “Our universities have been forced to shut down due to the insincerity of the government to keep to its promises. The standard of education continues to go down due to the insensitivity of the government and the inability to provide a good teaching, learning and work environment through lack of basic facilities that will make them compete favourably with their peers in other parts of the world.

“The morale of university workers is dampened by the poor pay package and the government appears to be paying lip service to education. It is very clear that government pays more attention to frivolous things and has neglected youths that are said to be the leaders of tomorrow.’’

The SSANU President lamented the condition of Nigerian workers whom he said were going through perilous times in form of insecurity, economic hardship and other challenges.

He noted, “This year’s Workers Day comes when Nigerian workers are passing through perilous and dangerous times. Nigerian workers and indeed members of our great union are confronted with diverse challenges like rising spate of armed banditry, kidnappings, insurgency, economic hardship and worst of all, the inability of the government to keep to agreements it entered into with all the university-based unions in 2009.

“Our members have been denied payment of new Minimum Wage Consequential Adjustment arrears and backlog of earned allowances in addition to other violations of our rights and privileges. Our universities have been forced to shut down due to the insincerity of the government to keep to its promises.”

He admonished the government to resolve the ongoing strike by university workers and also tackle the challenges facing the country.

“Toying with the future of our children will spell doom for our dear country. I call on the government to look into the demands of all the university-based unions and take urgent steps to address them so that our children will go back to school,’’ the union urged.

Source: https://punchng.com/Striking-ASUU-members-shouldnt-be-paid-Education-minister

4 Likes

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Kyase(m): 1:39am On May 03, 2022
Aswear.
When they are ready for their salaries, they will resume

ASUU will be feeling like another tier of government

Rubbish people

61 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Praxis758: 2:09am On May 03, 2022
And this so called minister could afford a hundred million naira for presidential primary form.

I think it’s time we should start owing the elective and appointed politicians theirs salaries and emoluments so that they too will feel the pains.

This guyman minister is promising to be a failure if elected as a president.

88 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Karlovych: 2:52am On May 03, 2022
embarassed Hmm, Igbos

4 Likes

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by ERockson: 3:02am On May 03, 2022
I don't like ASUU in anyway, they fight only for their interest and nothing more. They should stop paying their selfish arshhh

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by bcomputer101: 3:22am On May 03, 2022
I just understand why Buhari called Nigeria youths, lazy youth.
How come our youths has power to protest during END SARS and you can't use the same strength to protest against your leaders toying with your future.

#I_STAND_WITH_ASUU

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Realist12: 4:27am On May 03, 2022
ASUU has always been selfish and inconsiderate. A body representing scholars yet their only achievements is being known only for strikes.
Imagine we had ASUU kind of leadership in NLC . The economy would have worsened to a state of emergency . Yes that's what they are doing to education, worsening it .

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by chukwuibuipob: 4:53am On May 03, 2022
sad the bastard children dey schools abroad oo. sad.I really pity Nija students. Private uni are cashing out

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by mideyphilip: 7:56am On May 03, 2022
Ogah oh grin cheesy grin
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Mario1989(m): 7:59am On May 03, 2022
So if the government ignore ASUU fight, na so they go later, shamelessly call off and waste students time for nothing...
This ASUU/FG sef, I am not understanding anymore...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Vulcanheph(m): 8:35am On May 03, 2022
This is the same person that wants to contest for presidency, yet has no empathy for ASUU's problems.

Has anyone asked him how he got the funds to buy the 100 million naira form ... Since he's not a politician (we know that all politicians stole theirs.)

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Kiddinpoh(m): 9:04am On May 03, 2022
Chai! Students are the ones to bear the brunt of their stupid disagreements sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by PussyKing(m): 9:04am On May 03, 2022
grin

Why I would tell you to forget and stop waiting for Government jobs

Key into businesses, the money a good business will pay you in 5-7 years would be 10 times better than your govt job retirement pay

Wise people go into businesses and stop wasting their time with the Govt

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Shebbs: 9:05am On May 03, 2022
Why?
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by christejames(m): 9:05am On May 03, 2022
Very useless misfit in govt.

3 Likes

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Nobody: 9:06am On May 03, 2022
Mad minister. Both minister of state & minister for are dumb than their president.
The other short goat wan be president.
An insult to INEC.
INEC sef no get life.
Is ASUU fighting a right course? Yes.
The strike ll go on till after election next year.
Nigeria's destiny has been used by Britain.

6 Likes

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Maynman: 9:06am On May 03, 2022
Kyase:
Aswear.
When they are ready for their salaries, they will resume

ASUU will be feeling like another tier of government

Rubbish people

It will only worsen it . This is not the first time they are going on strike without pay.
I wonder why senators and house of reps don’t have this kind of issues.

3 Likes

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by harmargedon: 9:07am On May 03, 2022
shocked

3 Likes

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Cantonese: 9:07am On May 03, 2022
Was he not the one who purchased the APC 100m form to contest the presidency?
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by ignis: 9:07am On May 03, 2022
Yeye dey smell.
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by carbony4red(m): 9:07am On May 03, 2022
OYO is ur case
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Deeprooted: 9:07am On May 03, 2022
Fake minister!

You shouldn't be in that position. When NANS visited this man, you won't believe he walked out on then without anyone calling him to order. As a minister of Education, who's your number 1 interest if not the students?

Don't pay the striking lecturers but you, with nothing to show for your ministry should continue to be paid?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Nobody: 9:07am On May 03, 2022
Please how do I block someone from following me on nairaland. ??
I do not want that
Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by salbis(m): 9:08am On May 03, 2022
A foolish talk from a foolish man.

4 Likes

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by sotall(m): 9:08am On May 03, 2022
undecided

Like Buhari like his appointees.

2 Likes

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by Mooh247: 9:08am On May 03, 2022
Presidential aspirant talking nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by mctech(m): 9:08am On May 03, 2022
Hmmm! You just won the presidential election.

1 Like

Re: Emeka Nwajiuba: Striking ASUU Members Shouldn’t Be Paid – Education Minister by ppogba: 9:08am On May 03, 2022
Our in- coming president has spoken.

Spoken by the limit of his small brain.

I still insist, if it were to be NMA, will the government maintain the same position?

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

David Ibiyeomie Letter To Nigerian Universities On Sexual Harassment / The Federal Poly Ede Hnd (full Time) & Nd (part-time) Form Is Out / NANS Begins Facility Tour Of Universities, Urges ASUU To Suspend Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.