Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

Please Telecom Expert I Want You To Answer This Question For Me - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Please Telecom Expert I Want You To Answer This Question For Me (736 Views)

Li Kaixiang: Chinese Develops App To Answer Chatty Girlfriend's Messages / Where Should I Buy My Phones From And Why? Godfrey Anwo-telecom Expert And Socia / Why You Should Use Only The Left Ear To Answer Phone Calls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Telecom Expert I Want You To Answer This Question For Me by kannex: 3:11am On May 03, 2022
Have been wondering why it's has not been posible to have a unified fiber optic cable been layed down in nigeria. What i mean is that for instance fiberone broadband, ipnx, ngcom, estreem, fibernet etc dont have their services in agege, egbeda, ogba, iyana ipaja ect because their fiber cable is not been layed in those areas, now, dotmac broadband, wifiber etc have coverage in agege, egbeda, ogba, iyana ipaja etc, why is there not a type of technology that will enable the like of fiberone broadband, ipnx, ngcom, estreem, fibernet etc, have coverage agege, egbeda, ogba, iyana ipaja, without the need of laying their own fiber optic cable, instead they will just connect to the existing fiber network which was layed down by other companies through a kind of unified system, which will just enable the like of fiberone broadband etc to just pay a fee or a type of agreement to the company that lay that fiber and fiberone broadband and the likes will have coverage in those areas that they previously didnt have coverage and also offer their services to these areas without the need of laying cable because a company have done that so instead instead of laying cables you just need to connect to the existing fiber optic cable that have been layed down by other company through some type of agreement or contract that have coverage in that particular area that your company is trying cover.

With this technique or system it will save cost of laying fiber optics cable, a company can just decide to either lay fiber optics cable and let others to partner with the company fiber optics and bring internet services to that paricular area or community, internet will be cheaper, dstv will have low patronage because every one will be streaming either iptv, netflix, irokotv etc, and, there will be a lot of competiton bacause so many companies will join the platform and offer very cheaper internet service plan, fiber reach almost all part of nigeria within ten years

1 Like

Re: Please Telecom Expert I Want You To Answer This Question For Me by Nobody: 3:36am On May 03, 2022
Very simple, Nigerians dont understand business and Technology collaboration to make a profit. The industry standard is to lease dark fiber from a fiber vendor, the leasing firm will manage the bandwidth and do repairs in an event of a fiber cut. most times, the dark fiber will run the last mile to the CO of the original fiber owner. This way, when a company is no longer making a profit in an area, it can pull out without a huge CAPEX sunk in.
I will assume that the problem is that people who own this original fiber are so greedy that they want to make all their expenses in 6 months. At that point, others will rather just lay their own fiber than pay that exorbitant amount of money. Dark fibers require no operational cost, at least on the fibers, in a sane environment, the lease will be so little but they will make you sign a 10-year deal.

Nigerian companies want all the money today and that is why Nigerian companies do not survive past one generation.

2 Likes

Re: Please Telecom Expert I Want You To Answer This Question For Me by kannex: 8:56am On May 03, 2022
So you mean this system already exist in the first place, wow amd surprise oo, because i see many companies just laying their fiber and have never seen a type of unified system like this, that is why i decide to ask, but is there anything Government can do to stop this greed from these companies, in my area we have mainone fiber optics been burried buy yet 99% of broadband companies that provide internet services through fiber is not existing, inshort no fiber internet companies have Network coverage in my area. Yet fiber optics cable have been burried already, i just wish the government can do something about this.
Re: Please Telecom Expert I Want You To Answer This Question For Me by BennyDGreat: 9:10am On May 03, 2022
Techsupport:
Very simple, Nigerians dont understand business and Technology collaboration to make a profit. The industry standard is to lease dark fiber from a fiber vendor, the leasing firm will manage the bandwidth and do repairs in an event of a fiber cut. most times, the dark fiber will run the last mile to the CO of the original fiber owner. This way, when a company is no longer making a profit in an area, it can pull out without a huge CAPEX sunk in.
I will assume that the problem is that people who own this original fiber are so greedy that they want to make all their expenses in 6 months. At that point, others will rather just lay their own fiber than pay that exorbitant amount of money. Dark fibers require no operational cost, at least on the fibers, in a sane environment, the lease will be so little but they will make you sign a 10-year deal.

Nigerian companies want all the money today and that is why Nigerian companies do not survive past one generation.

This is pathetic. Nigerians are really tough people
Re: Please Telecom Expert I Want You To Answer This Question For Me by Nobody: 9:19am On May 03, 2022
They can, but if that happens, everyone ends up the same capabilities and offering the same service.

When things like this happen, they end up comepting on price, which is initially good for the consumer (in terms of price) but is always a race to the bottom for the companies. The company with the deeper pocket wins; gets a monopoly or duopoly, and then increases prices, which is terrible for the consumer.

A better option is to lay cables in highly profitable areas and then rent cables in unprofitable/not-so-profitable ones. Many telecom companies do this already, owning masts in some places and renting in others. Some like 9Mobile (and former Etisalat) don't even own anything and are renting. And you can see why they're struggling to survive.

Also, please use paragraphs when typing. People may avoid contributing to your topic because it's difficult to read.
Re: Please Telecom Expert I Want You To Answer This Question For Me by solaiphones: 11:22am On May 03, 2022
How many people can afford the cost of ftth activation and subscription in abule egba or egbeda. Fiber optic implementation is very expensive. So, most telecoms companies prefer, where they will get many customers within a short period. E.g VI Ikoyi Ikeja and Yaba, those are the areas FTTH is common in Lagos.
Also, the idea of sharing cable can’t work in fiber optic, what they can share are duct,Manhole, set site etc
Re: Please Telecom Expert I Want You To Answer This Question For Me by Nobody: 11:32am On May 03, 2022
I thought fiber was a mineral gotten from Sugarcane

Or what are you guys talking about?

Re: Please Telecom Expert I Want You To Answer This Question For Me by MadarasBlade(m): 9:54pm On Oct 07, 2023
solaiphones:
How many people can afford the cost of ftth activation and subscription in abule egba or egbeda. Fiber optic implementation is very expensive. So, most telecoms companies prefer, where they will get many customers within a short period. E.g VI Ikoyi Ikeja and Yaba, those are the areas FTTH is common in Lagos.
Also, the idea of sharing cable can’t work in fiber optic, what they can share are duct,Manhole, set site etc

Fibreone works in ilorin, you can't tell me that people in ilorin of all places have higher purchasing power than the suburban areas in lagos you listed

(1) (Reply)

Freeyond F9 Smartphone / Please Guys / How Much Does Mtn: ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.